As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breath of [Phalla] III - Final Day - Teepo's World (Cultist Victory)

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But seriously, well played obi

steam_sig.png
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    How do I unlock the boards. I'll post up the mafia boards.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    Nevermind, I think I got it.

Mafia Boards

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Woohoo!

Thanks for running this Akimbo! I had a blast.

I finally got to feel like I was useful to a team!

• AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, how many villagers were there, really? 30%?

At the start, yes, in a mechanical sense. I think it's fair to assume that survivor neutrals typically align with the village in trying to kill mafia, so I sort of counted them as village in the original tally (making it more like 70%). If that's a point of contention, fair enough, but the core mechanic doesn't really work any other way, so without drastically changing the game, not a lot of other options.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    And that's why you never trust a kime network

Tee hee hee

By the way, Obi etc. For days, I had to listen to you guys talking about how Smoove got "caught in a lie about talking to me when he actually never did talk to me". He did talk to me, and it's on our proboard. Did you guys never use the Search function hahaha? I mean, it worked out 'cause he was totally evil anyways, but still, it's the principle of the thing.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Really, if anyone should be angry, it's the mafia. 2 SK and a vlad-like cultist? they didn't have much of a chance

steam_sig.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I got caught on so many lies, I thought for sure you and langly were on to me. I guess the "Brood are allies" part clouded it.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the game, Akimbo! Was interesting as my first mafia role. If anyone wants to see my spreadsheet, have at it: http://www.4shared.com/file/oVxbJ2Qu/BREATH.html

Oh, and when your goddess tells you not to trust kime, you are not to trust kime. I couldn't believe none of you picked up on

1) He repeated "brood are host confirmed village, and i am brood" a dozen times and then he
    2) died as a gene, not a brood. Then he
    3) turned up purple as well.

Rolling in my grave that my poor children had to suffer.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    In other mafia news: Deal with Devil Turns Sour! None Surprised

ObiFett wrote: »

I got caught on so many lies, I thought for sure you and langly were on to me. I guess the "Brood are allies" part clouded it.
    Langly had actually caught onto the HP lie. But we didn't have any other vigs :(

steam_sig.png
    SLyM wrote: »
    I'm a little angry at my car battery, myself.

Was that really my second time?

I don't think it was.

I will admit to being kind of upset at that point, so my judgement may have been questionable when I thought you already had a mark. It's very possible you didn't, and I apologize for that. I just know you hadn't been posting much, and that missing a day when there are like, 10 players left is kind of important.

kime wrote: »

Tee hee hee

By the way, Obi etc. For days, I had to listen to you guys talking about how Smoove got "caught in a lie about talking to me when he actually never did talk to me". He did talk to me, and it's on our proboard. Did you guys never use the Search function hahaha? I mean, it worked out 'cause he was totally evil anyways, but still, it's the principle of the thing.

I searched it so many times to be sure. Didn't find anything about you talking to Smoove and him being a guard.

Glad it worked out, though.

Really, if anyone should be angry, it's the mafia. 2 SK and a vlad-like cultist? they didn't have much of a chance

Not angry, I had accepted that we HAD to trust Obi/Tayrun once it came to light that there were 2 "village" factions. If they screwed us, they screwed us. Not much choice. Turns out they screwed us :P

also @DumpShock still hearts between us forever, right?

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    It was fun... Just sorry that I started work during the end bit where I was alive and could pay as much attention to it.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
    Also, how far was my "guard" bit taking me? Did anyone buy it?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Tee hee hee

I searched it so many times to be sure. Didn't find anything about you talking to Smoove and him being a guard.

Well it's, uh... there. Search for "Smoove"? Make sure you have enough results showing and whatnot, haha.

And yeah, poor mafia :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah Inactivus has been doing work these last few games.

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2012

The mafia were definitely not set up to go toe to toe with the village, but the SKs etc were designed to level the playing field. Unfortunately for them, Gaslight helped you guys for a turn or two, and Teepo was (mostly) helping the village for most of the game.

Myria was almost impossible to kill short of very strong Dragon Powers or a very concentrated effort (or... the vote, of course), so they definitely had fair strength, but it was probably wrong to have their vigs tied up in one character.

AkimboLegs on

Langly had actually caught onto the HP lie. But we didn't have any other vigs :(

Yeah, I scrambled hard on that one and made up some horrible lie about akimbo messing up my PM.

I learned I am horrible at keeping lies straight.

And Smoove, I thought you were going to screw us for sure. The only smart play from my point of view was for mafia and village to team up at the end there and vote me out. And vig someone else in the cult. Then mafia probably could have won the game or at least decided who won.

Tee hee hee

Well it's, uh... there. Search for "Smoove"? Make sure you have enough results showing and whatnot, haha.

And yeah, poor mafia :(

Hey kime, I was doing my best to keep everything else straight! Mess ups like that were bound to happen. ;)

For me at least...

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular

We knew you were mafia. I never believed you and only matev for a day. That was only because we knew all the roles already, we just didn't know about the brood not actually being trustworthy.

Also, it is the exact opposite with survivor neutrals. They tend to side with the mafia, because the mafia is the one aiming the biggest gun. When given the choice, a SN will almost always choose mafia.

edited April 2012
    AkimboLegs wrote: »

The mafia were definitely not set up to go toe to toe with the village, but the SKs etc were designed to level the playing field. Unfortunately for them, Gaslight helped you guys for a turn or two, and Teepo was (mostly) helping the village for most of the game.

Myria was almost impossible to kill short of very strong Dragon Powers or a very concentrated effort (or... the vote, of course), so they definitely had fair strength, but it was probably wrong to have their vigs tied up in one character.

What were the mafia powers, anyway?

ObiFett on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

yes yes yes

not picking on you here but this is a Big Deal when you're designing your mafia for your game

in one turn taking out myria took out 33% of the mafia's damage output

anyone thinking of running a game should always make sure the mafia can always do something

also!

in a specific critique related to this game that was not actually game-breaking and just something i did not personally like, the way the HP system and immunities worked it was very difficult to figure out what was going on with the kills

hard to tell whether the person you hit didn't die because they had more HP, or if they had an immunity to the damage you were doing, or what (and we didn't even know if there were also traditional guards, or busdrivers, or all the normal things that can confuse what happened to a kill)

if you retooled that system and put it to use in the future i think a bit more feedback on what was happening there would be useful

liEt3nH.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I saw kime die purple, I just thought that meant his gene had been activated. So genes were able to be confirmed by brood by networking together? And there was a seer and a cult?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Also smoove I can't believe you didn't tie the vote to vote out obi, why wouldn't you do that as mafia. Alegis might have died but you would have killed the cult leader, you might have actually had a shot at winning.

What were the mafia powers, anyway?

4 damage fire vig (tied to the guardians, so all 4 had to die)

2 damage non-elemental vig (tied to the cartel, so all 3 had to die)

2 damage holy or dark vig (tied to myria)
    -this eventually became 2x2 dark and holy vigs, but she died the turn she used it, so only happened once

guardians have 4HP, and single element resist

cartel have resist of their choice each turn

myria had holy/dark resist, and 6 hp, and regens 2 hp/turn

You could have vigged a gene tonight too instead of a villager and thinned the crowd.

And for what its worth, Akimbo, I was loving your story write-ups. They were the first ones I was actually reading every day instead of just scrolling to the bottom to look at results.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And Smoove, I thought you were going to screw us for sure. The only smart play from my point of view was for mafia and village to team up at the end there and vote me out. And vig someone else in the cult. Then mafia probably could have won the game or at least decided who won.

Nah, once Nirya hit up Alegis on the vote it was done. I was 95% going to vote with you all anyway (or at least not vote against you). From what I worked out, even if you guys hit your VC and left the game, I was still going to be left staring at 2 villagers that knew I was mafia, armed only with a 2pt vig.

If I sided with the village against you, it maybe drags the game out another day, but I am ultimately in the same position. Except now there are 2 factions against me and everyone knows I'm mafia.

Wow, Myria was tough.

If Figgy hadn't been seered and found out, this game would have been very different.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I kinda wish I had been mafia so I could have killed baidol when I saw through his attempt to reach out in the thread.

instead of just PMing him essentially just to say "calling it"

Then when he publicly revealed, saying "called it"

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited April 2012

yes yes yes

not picking on you here but this is a Big Deal when you're designing your mafia for your game

in one turn taking out myria took out 33% of the mafia's damage output

anyone thinking of running a game should always make sure the mafia can always do something

Yeah. I thought the cadre of defensive powers I gave her would've made up for it, but obviously when the vote is all powerful, it's weird. Was definitely a mistake though.

also!

in a specific critique related to this game that was not actually game-breaking and just something i did not personally like, the way the HP system and immunities worked it was very difficult to figure out what was going on with the kills

hard to tell whether the person you hit didn't die because they had more HP, or if they had an immunity to the damage you were doing, or what (and we didn't even know if there were also traditional guards, or busdrivers, or all the normal things that can confuse what happened to a kill)

if you retooled that system and put it to use in the future i think a bit more feedback on what was happening there would be useful

It was mostly deliberate to not give info. It meant people had to share information to find stuff out, which was kind of my goal.

In the last main I ran (not the euro mini) I had people who could take multiple hits, but any attacks on them acted like seers (their role was revealed in narration) and I didn't want to do that again, so I swung it the other way. I can MAYBE see telling people if their attack was absorbed, but I don't think I would want to go much farther than that.

AkimboLegs on
    So yeah, I was the seer, and with the host confirming that brood were village aligned, and being unable to seer the teepo faction (they resulted as if they were neutralish), I don't know what I was supposed to do. I knew obi lied to me about his hp, but the only thing I could think was that he needed to maybe kill ryu or something not completely cultish.

My other option was to out myyself as the seer to everyone and possibly kill a village special in the same swoop.

So

Langly wrote: »
    Also smoove I can't believe you didn't tie the vote to vote out obi, why wouldn't you do that as mafia. Alegis might have died but you would have killed the cult leader, you might have actually had a shot at winning.

I couldn't tie the vote once Nirya voted Alegis.

This + your other post about vigging genes is what I "thought" would/might happen, thus the extra day. But Obi's group did a decent job in convincing the mafia that they could leave the game victorious and then the mafia win afterward, so I think thats why they did what they did.

Nah, once Nirya hit up Alegis on the vote it was done. I was 95% going to vote with you all anyway (or at least not vote against you). From what I worked out, even if you guys hit your VC and left the game, I was still going to be left staring at 2 villagers that knew I was mafia, armed only with a 2pt vig.

If I sided with the village against you, it maybe drags the game out another day, but I am ultimately in the same position. Except now there are 2 factions against me and everyone knows I'm mafia.

Nirya was already converted

Also, it is the exact opposite with survivor neutrals. They tend to side with the mafia, because the mafia is the one aiming the biggest gun. When given the choice, a SN will almost always choose mafia.

That is my mistake then.

I guess my assumption was just that they don't want to draw the ire of the village, and don't know who the mafia are, so they act like uninformed villagers. I haven't really played one, so I don't have the true mindset of it, just the theoretical one. But additionally, the info being spread was that only good dragons could claim, so it was always a one way trip from Survive->Kill Myria, so people (in this game) still wanted to kill mafia, because their likely VC change would be to village aligned, since people didn't know about the EVIL DRAGON.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Figgy, you were kind of right about me; I think killing me was a waste. I was not a very useful gene.

This game had interesting mechanics but I definitely think having incorrect host information about the brood was a mistake. I liked the idea that the neutral genes had to make an effort to get converted. Dying blue meant failing your win condition but dying green/purple meant you could still win in your team won. Before I was changed I was hoping to be in cahoots with the mafia purely to stay alive, since I didn't think the brood would convert me when my identity was compromised.