As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breath of [Phalla] III - Final Day - Teepo's World (Cultist Victory)

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    If you check my post history my vote is there, but if you click on the link it's not :P

I had fun with the game, thanks for hosting Akimbo! :D

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    proud to say i told langly day 2 that kime was trouble :rotate:

liEt3nH.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    As powerful as I was, the vote is a bitch. Haha.

My only problem with the mechanics, from my end, was the use of gene conversion as a form of seering. Anyone who approached kime as a seer/brood could be easily confirmed that night an hour before vote close by trying to make a dragon with them, right? Then, the actual seer power could be saved for mafia hunting.

And Langly, man, when you seer kime and it comes back blocked, you keeeeeel him.

Not when the host confirms that his faction is village aligned.

He said the brood are village aligned. Kime lied. He was a gene.

Was he unseerable or was he guarded when you tried to seer him?

In my defense, I actually said the village are aligned with the brood, not the brood are aligned with the village. I guess you could argue it's semantics, but there are different implications (in my mind).

But I still recognize that as being poor phrasing, which had way too much of an effect on the game. You guys can stop talking about it now :(

this amounts to the host just being unreliable.

and I'm sorry I'm talking about it, but I spent 8 god damn days trying to figure out why a faction that was told to me was village aligned would be unseerable and also a different color, only to find out they were a secret cult that was actually not village aligned at all.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Hey Langly remember that game you won as the cultist when no one ever even commented on your faction existing?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Worst part is we hit kime with 4 dmg on day 1 and let him sit there, unguarded, the entire time. A simple 2 dmg the next night would have made this game entirely different.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Oh, right. Not only that, but outed mafia also told me kime was contacting them, so that was another reason to think they were full of shit and trying to mess with me.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Almost forgot to mention: Thanks for running this Akimbo! I had a great time. Even that sinking feeling on day 7-8 when we realized that the only way we weren't boned was for Teepo's gang to not be lying to us was an experience.

Mafia crawling hat-in-hand to 3rd faction for survival? Exciting and new.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I thought that the purple was just the unclaimed gene color, because when I claimed someone after kime died, their name in the claim PM was also purple.

I clarified that for you as soon as you asked about it. Additionally, unclaimed genes came up as unactivated, and in blue...

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    It was fun to watch, I never really got to understand anything. Up to the end I thought it was a standard village versus mafia with transformation. But I did wonder how it was going to be balanced with the village getting all those transformations! Now I know! :rotate:

Baidol!!!

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Something something outed mafia :winky:

steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Oh, right. Not only that, but outed mafia also told me kime was contacting them, so that was another reason to think they were full of shit and trying to mess with me.

Take that as a lesson for next time. Outed mafia aren't always full of shit.

SLyM wrote: »
    Hey Langly remember that game you won as the cultist when no one ever even commented on your faction existing?

I do! We were also seerable, killable, and when I died, the entire faction died. Our faction was also stated in a person's role (which they didn't read), and described in narration.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »

The difference is if Langly died the entire faction died.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Guys, I think it's been made very clear at this point that a few mistakes were made in the mechanics and clarification.

Thanks for hosting anyway, Akimbo!

As powerful as I was, the vote is a bitch. Haha.

My only problem with the mechanics, from my end, was the use of gene conversion as a form of seering. Anyone who approached kime as a seer/brood could be easily confirmed that night an hour before vote close by trying to make a dragon with them, right? Then, the actual seer power could be saved for mafia hunting.

And Langly, man, when you seer kime and it comes back blocked, you keeeeeel him.

Not when the host confirms that his faction is village aligned.

He said the brood are village aligned. Kime lied. He was a gene.

Was he unseerable or was he guarded when you tried to seer him?

In my defense, I actually said the village are aligned with the brood, not the brood are aligned with the village. I guess you could argue it's semantics, but there are different implications (in my mind).

But I still recognize that as being poor phrasing, which had way too much of an effect on the game. You guys can stop talking about it now :(

this amounts to the host just being unreliable.

and I'm sorry I'm talking about it, but I spent 8 god damn days trying to figure out why a faction that was told to me was village aligned would be unseerable and also a different color, only to find out they were a secret cult that was actually not village aligned at all.

Yes, I understood it the first time someone said it. I actually PMd kime shortly after he died saying "I know that phrasing is going to get me into trouble." I've been wrestling with my conscience about it for the same 8 days.

I'll gladly recuse myself from running games from now on, since I'm clearly unfit, but at this point, the point has been brought up about 100 times in 2 pages. I get the point, guys.

I heart you Akimbo

Take that as a lesson for next time. Outed mafia aren't always full of shit.

no, that isn't the lesson at all.

I'll gladly recuse myself from running games from now on, since I'm clearly unfit, but at this point, the point has been brought up about 100 times in 2 pages. I get the point, guys.

Noooooo.

For everyone else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say you're unfit! Just learn from this and move on. This game should make you a better host so I wouldn't quit just for this.

Pfff oh my god Akimbo

You think you're unfit to run phallas after the response to sportzboy's?

are you insane?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Akimbo :(

<3<3<3

FWIW, Even though I contacted kime because of that clarification, I'm not really that upset about that. I'm more concerned with the minority village

steam_sig.png
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Thanks, Akimbo! I had fun trying to talk to network-head kime. I didn't play very long so I don't really have any comments about anything.

I am very disappointed that the mafia killed me for being talkative rather than my attempt to not-so-subtly pretend to have a reveal. It seems Langly was the only one that might have fallen for it.

edited April 2012

don't be daft

you did a great job and you've run some great games

not everything you're going to make is going to be equally as good as one another and sometimes you'll make mistakes

i wound up canceling my second mini due to shit but i can confidently say that there were aspects that were unpolished that needed more refinement that players weren't enjoying, and there's nothing wrong with that. i'm not a professional game designer and neither are you, we're just dudes who like games.

sit up from the computer because you're frustrated and taking things personally, get something to drink, maybe a snack, have a liedown. then come back later and go "Alright, what can I learn from this experience", because I guarantee you having an iffy game is going to do so much more for your ability to host and make a game than having pretty solid, decent games all the time

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    Thank you for all the compliments, those that enjoyed it. I am glad some people did! That is what I am here for - a conduit to my players' enjoyment. I really am upset about so many players thinking the game was shitty because of poor balance, that is honestly the worst thing, I get how frustrating it can be to invest so much and fall short because of the host's mistakes.

Just remember I'm human too! Being berated over and over about the same mistake is incredibly demoralizing!

MrTLicious wrote: »
    Thanks, Akimbo! I had fun trying to talk to network-head kime. I didn't play very long so I don't really have any comments about anything.

I am very disappointed that the mafia killed me for being talkative rather than my attempt to not-so-subtly pretend to have a reveal. It seems Langly was the only one that might have fallen for it.

In our defense, we had so many kill powers that we had to spread them around to see some kind of result. When an ordered hit returned absolutely zero feedback, we had two choices:

1) Try again, thinking the target had more HP
    2) Try elsewhere, thinking the target was immune or guarded or bus driven or whatever.

So craaaazy.

And Smoove, I was prepared to grudge you forever. Luckily, vert caught your mistake of targeting someone who was already dead.

And yeah, even with the concerns, it was still probably in the top half of balance given some of the recent phallas. Thanks for running it

steam_sig.png
    And Smoove, I was prepared to grudge you forever. Luckily, vert caught your mistake of targeting someone who was already dead.

Oh did you not know? I am SUPER good at this game. I should have told you up front.

Thank you for all the compliments, those that enjoyed it. I am glad some people did! That is what I am here for - a conduit to my players' enjoyment. I really am upset about so many players thinking the game was shitty because of poor balance, that is honestly the worst thing, I get how frustrating it can be to invest so much and fall short because of the host's mistakes.

Just remember I'm human too! Being berated over and over about the same mistake is incredibly demoralizing!

Come on, it's not like you gave every single person a random power, killed the wrong people in narration, and left half the kills up to a coin toss.

.... has sportz paid his dues yet?

and we'll make damn sure you never make it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRamB30E9mU

liEt3nH.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @akimbolegs I don't think anyone was berating you, just discussing the game.
    I don't think anyone thought the game was awful. As I said I enjoyed the game a lot. I'm not sure I'd be able to get into a winning position, but not the end of the world for me.
    Please continue to make games.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Come on, it's not like you gave every single person a random power, killed the wrong people in narration, and left half the kills up to a coin toss.

.... has sportz paid his dues yet?
    No, Kime actually complimented his game balance :rotate:

:(

steam_sig.png
    If anyone wants to know the gene combos for dragons (spoit?) let me know, I'll send you a PM with the link.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Akimbo, don't think for a second we're unhappy overall with the game, it was fun, totally brought back the heart-pounding moments I crave out of these things.

"Will the plan succeed? Did they buy my lie? Are they trying to smoke me out?" The fact all of this ran through my head as I was playing made for an excellent time and I will definitely sign up for your next run!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    If anyone wants to know the gene combos for dragons (spoit?) let me know, I'll send you a PM with the link.

Just one question: Was there going to be something fuck-awesome if they tried to make the kaiser without the proper gene to control it, like I read in the wiki? I got so excited when I saw the failure gene was dead and they made a kaiser.

My main issue was that my primary concern for the first 7 days was staying alive, and talking to people and finding out stuff is a good way to find out too much and get killed for it.

Then I got converted and had no idea what was going on and pretty much everyone else knew everything.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Thanks for running, Akimbo, it was an awesome game.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

Just one question: Was there going to be something fuck-awesome if they tried to make the kaiser without the proper gene to control it, like I read in the wiki? I got so excited when I saw the failure gene was dead and they made a kaiser.

The Infinity gene gave a 2 damage non-elemental vig. However, if it was used without Failure, or without one of the special combos (Ultimate Kaiser, Tiamat, or Bahamut), then it would randomly target. Nothing too crazy :)

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

I'm typically one to be very critical.

Things could have been done differently. Oh well. I still enjoyed it. I don't have anywhere near as much heartburn as with the last sportz phalla and I'd gladly play another of yours.

If it wasn't clear, thanks for running.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh yes, I nearly forgot.

Remember how I said back on like day 3 that Obi was up to something? And then everybody promptly kept on without me?

Yea. I'm right about things sometimes. :D