As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i didn't think it was too hard but so far it's certainly been the most fun boss I've fought so far. I guess I didn't really need to go fight him yet either but oh well.

• QuVatQuVat Registered User regular
    Been playing DaS a lot lately and came up with a question for anyone who might know the answer:

Is the online experience better/worse on the PS3 version as opposed to the 360 version?

I opted for the 360 version when DaS came out however I played the crap out of DeS on the PS3 and was just wondering if the community was stronger for the 360 version of DaS. I'm starting to get more involved with co-oping and doing convenant stuff with my characters and wanted to see if there was anything I was missing out on.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Roz wrote: »
    The wolf and Smough fights are easily harder than anything in Demon's Souls. I can't even count the number of times I've died to bosses in this game.

Wait, the wolf? You mean Sif? That's one of the easiest boss fights in the game. Almost every single attack of his can be easily blocked and the one or two that are hard to block are easy to dodge.

The wolf fight is actually exactly what you were saying Demon's Souls was like - unless you join the Forest Covenant, it is far more difficult to get to the wolf boss (with all the stealthed warriors trying to kill you in the forest and pretty much guaranteed invasions if you're not hollow) than it is to actually fight it.

That's one of things with the difficulty of these games, it can vary wildly depending on level, gear, and class :(. Truthfully, Sif was extremely difficult for me. I must have died to him at least 20 times. It may have been that I wasn't supposed to fight him when I did; I think I was level 15 or 20, and I started out thief, so my best weapon was a +4 dagger (or whatever weapon you start with). I killed all the ghost things on my first run to him, and from there on out just sprinted to him over and over, avoiding the ghosts. Also, as stated, I play these games 100% offline with no outside help or assistance, so no Solaire or summons for me. :(

His attacks would drain nearly all of my stamina bar or stagger me, so blocking was risky in a lot of situations. I managed to kill him after an incredibly epic 20+ minute fight. That was harder than any boss I had faced in Demon's Souls, by far, but I am completely willing to concede that I may have hard moded him? I'm much less familiar with the general boss progression in Dark Souls, since it's non-linear.

Roz on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    The wolf and Smough fights are easily harder than anything in Demon's Souls. I can't even count the number of times I've died to bosses in this game.

Wait, the wolf? You mean Sif? That's one of the easiest boss fights in the game. Almost every single attack of his can be easily blocked and the one or two that are hard to block are easy to dodge.

The wolf fight is actually exactly what you were saying Demon's Souls was like - unless you join the Forest Covenant, it is far more difficult to get to the wolf boss (with all the stealthed warriors trying to kill you in the forest and pretty much guaranteed invasions if you're not hollow) than it is to actually fight it.

That's one of things with the difficulty of these games, it can vary wildly depending on level, gear, and class :(. Truthfully, Sif was extremely difficult for me. I must have died to him at least 20 times. It may have been that I wasn't supposed to fight him when I did; I think I was level 15 or 20, and I started out thief, so my best weapon was a +4 dagger (or whatever weapon you start with). I killed all the ghost things on my first run to him, and from there on out just sprinted to him over and over, avoiding the ghosts. Also, as stated, I play these games 100% offline with no outside help or assistance, so no Solaire or summons for me. :(

His attacks would drain nearly all of my stamina bar or stagger me, so blocking was risky in a lot of situations. I managed to kill him after an incredibly epic 20+ minute fight. That was harder than any boss I had faced in Demon's Souls, by far, but I am completely willing to concede that I may have hard moded him? I'm much less familiar with the general boss progression in Dark Souls, since it's non-linear.

...Yeah, you definitely went for Sif waaaaaay early and way undergeared.

• HenryWardHenryWard Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    ...Yeah, you definitely went for Sif waaaaaay early and way undergeared.

+1. You can save Sif for literally the third-to-last boss fight in the game if you want (you get some choices after Anor Londo) and definitely don't need to have worried about him until completing Anor Londo. So, way early - very impressive to have killed him at all in that state!

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My question is how you got there then? To get to him at that low level and being "lost" don't you have to kill a hydra? If you bought the item for 20k souls to unlock the door that's a short cut at lvl 15 it sounds like you kind of knew where you were going. At that level spending 20k on an item when you shouldn't know what it does (I say shouldn't because it's not the logical/intended progression) implies you knew enough that it was out of order.

Anyway, yeah you hardmoded it. Daggers are great for the bleed and backstab damage but I think bosses are immune to bleed and you can't backstab them.

I just got the sword of thorns, the longsword that stacks bleed. If I make it a fire or lightning does it stack with the bleed? Can I set other players on fire and cause that burst bleed damage?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    the problem with going that back way is that those damned cats are evil personified even at my much higher level so I really am impressed if that's how you got there.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    My question is how you got there then? To get to him at that low level and being "lost" don't you have to kill a hydra? If you bought the item for 20k souls to unlock the door that's a short cut at lvl 15 it sounds like you kind of knew where you were going. At that level spending 20k on an item when you shouldn't know what it does (I say shouldn't because it's not the logical/intended progression) implies you knew enough that it was out of order.

Anyway, yeah you hardmoded it. Daggers are great for the bleed and backstab damage but I think bosses are immune to bleed and you can't backstab them.

I just got the sword of thorns, the longsword that stacks bleed. If I make it a fire or lightning does it stack with the bleed? Can I set other players on fire and cause that burst bleed damage?

Well, he either would've had to buy the Seal or deal with the hydra. Though hearing the description of his path, sounds like he bought the seal.

Also, it's possible to run past the hydra (if you have the rusted iron ring), and get up the ladder to avoid the seal altogether... but it's pretty tough and you have to have some luck. And if you die...

I do believe elemental properties stack with innate bleed properties, like with the Uchigatana and such, so yeah, assuming it doesn't count as a special weapon already and you can change it into fire or lightning, I'm pretty sure it would still have bleed.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Speaking of the evil cats, how do you actually kill those things? I think I'm like 1-8 against them.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, Sif is meant to be a mid-to-late boss and at that stage of the game he is really easy. Trying to do him at the very beginning of the game would definitely be a challenge. I'm really surprised that the battles in that area didn't clue you into the fact that you weren't supposed to be fighting him that early in the game.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    hide in the trees

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Yeah, Sif is meant to be a mid-to-late boss and at that stage of the game he is really easy. Trying to do him at the very beginning of the game would definitely be a challenge. I'm really surprised that the battles in that area didn't clue you into the fact that you weren't supposed to be fighting him that early in the game.

I always kill him around level 50-60, mostly because I head to New Londo immediately after. And Vagrant, that's some crazy leveling you're doing there. I hope you don't enjoy PVP, because most PVPers will be at least 40 levels lower then you.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    hide in the trees

And shoot them with arrows?

Abuse collision detection so they can't get to you?

Pray they don't see you?

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    hide in the trees

And shoot them with arrows?

Abuse collision detection so they can't get to you?

Pray they don't see you?

On the Sif side of there yard, the path in and out has some trees. They will charge/roll at you and hit the trees as long as you lure them then hide behind the trees. If you are in the trees they back off then run away. So you run out, have them come at you, hide in the trees, attack them as they back off.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Wow! I have a lot to respond to, so I'll try to answer everyone's questions as best I can.

I'd seen no videos, or anything like that. I like going into these games blind as an opportunity to learn. The environments in Demon's Souls were linear and difficult, so I didn't find areas getting harder to be indicative of anything. I kinda like the challenge these games offer, so I didn't think anything of the area jumping in difficulty; I sort of expected it.

I went straight from the Bell Tower Gargoyles to the Moon Butterfly thing, and had about 30k souls or so at that point. When I went back to blacksmith he had a seal for 20k souls, and I saw that door before you head towards the butterfly so I figured it went to that. I thought at first that it was a seal to a treasure chest (like in most RPGs), but instead it opened up a new area, and I figured that was just where you were supposed to go next.

The ghosts were a bit difficult, but I was able to dodge/block everything they did so I didn't really take any damage, and just thought they had a lot of HP. Considering they were dropping 3-5 times the souls I was seeing elsewhere, I thought this was commensurate with the new difficulty I was experiencing. I thought nothing of it really - I just figured the game had a steep learning curve (not unprecedented with Demon's Souls).

Eventually, I ran into some plant dudes, and they were pretty easy. After them there was a bridge, and I crossed it. Then a giant wererat/badger/wolverine thing came out of fucking nowhere! and tried to claw my eyes out. I pretty quickly figured out that you could use the trees to block their roll, and you could hit them from the edge of the forest, without them being able to hit you. I was able to kill all three of them using this method.

Then it was just a straight shot to Sif, who absolutely destroyed me. His attacks heavily drained my stamina, and his overhead downward thrust almost always staggered me, leaving me incredibly vulnerable. My very first attempt at him, I think I got him to 80% or so. But, I figured I just hadn't figured out the fight/gimmick yet, so I rushed past the ghosts and tried again. Pretty much same outcome, though I was a little better at dodging and blocking; though holy hell his life total is super high! Thinking there must be some trick to this fight (ala the incredibly high HP Old Knight in Demon's Souls), I kept plucking away at it trying to figure it out.

Eventually, I came to realize there isn't a trick, and you just straight have to dodge his attacks, and hit him when you can roll into his body. By studying the fight, you can predict his attack patterns based on how he holds the sword, and what side the sword favors as he goes to attack. Now, the real danger is the overhead swing; if you get hit with that you're staggered and possibly dead if he follows it up with almost anything. But if you're careful, you can dodge that and back off to reposition.

After executing this flawlessly for about 20-25 minutes, you can whittle him down and kill him. It was incredibly rewarding, and that fight alone elevated this game to better than Demon's Souls status for me. (And I loved Demon's Souls).

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    GFWL is pretty bad. Most unintuitive interface I've ever used.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    well painted world wasn't as bad as I was expecting. 3 things:

1) fuck wheel skeletons
    2) god damn it priscilla died too quick to cut her tail off
    3) how would you describe the usefullness of the gear i picked up? I got the blooshield (helped against pris), notched whip, xanthus set, painted guardian set, and velka's armor.

now I guess it's on to anor londo proper. what's a good level to be to be able to summon helpers for this boss? i've heard it's rough.

initiatefailure on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

1) fuck wheel skeletons
    3) how would you describe the usefullness of the gear i picked up? I got the blooshield (helped against pris), notched whip, xanthus set, painted guardian set, and velka's armor.

now I guess it's on to anor londo proper. what's a good level to be to be able to summon helpers for this boss? i've heard it's rough.

I wish I could help. I keep getting killed even though I had Solaire and two other players helping.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    1) fuck wheel skeletons (unless you have a lot of poise, in which case they turn into jokes)
    2) priscilla's dagger is meh, not a big loss
    3) honestly, painted world has a lot of niche gear but nothing too useful for the typical well-rounded DS character. a royal fuckton of souls and humanity to be had, though.

my latest character post-patch hit anor londo at about 65 and that's with the entire forest path completed/a focus on dumping souls into stats for certain weapons/spells, so I assume the average level post-patch is around 50. when you're past the archer section, you'll get to a bonfire inside the main cathedral that is the staging area for summoning people to help you.

Torgairon on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I love toxic clouding the Phalanx, running away, and watching the souls roll in.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    The main thing about Priscilla's Dagger is that it's the best bleed weapon in the game. A good bleed weapon is hardly essential though.

edited April 2012
    i just wanted it for completions sake.

woot just got all of havels stuff too.

oh god damn it i got up from the bonfire for 1 second and got invaded. seemed fairly laggy. i hit him with a great fireball and only needed one hit then he backstabbed me from the front twice.

initiatefailure on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm getting really sick of people doing that to me. I just started cheesing people with great combustion.

1) fuck wheel skeletons

A +15 Bandit's Dagger is better. Plus you can enchant it.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wow, is there a lot of griping about the PC version. Kind of makes me sad. Or maybe glad the PS3 community is free of people like that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm upset we have to deal with GFWL, but I know it's for the better and I will still buy the game full price.

cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wow, is there a lot of griping about the PC version. Kind of makes me sad. Or maybe glad the PS3 community is free of people like that.

Don't go to gamefaqs. Because you'll find you're dead wrong. The first few days people were bitching NON-STOP about GFWL. It was pathetic.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Don't go to gamefaqs. Because you'll find you're dead wrong. The first few days people were bitching NON-STOP about GFWL. It was pathetic.

It's not just GFWL(I hate that too). People are griping about stuff like the FPS and resolution and blah blah blah, god, just mod it already.

wVEsyIc.png
    i'll have to get great combustion and give it a try. I just found fire surge in the painted world and it seems fairly similar but more sustained and a tighter cone it attacks AKA not pvp latency friendly. the acid cloud pyro i found in there is pretty cool too, whatever it was called. I used it on the phalanx once and laughed while they died during my exploring of that area.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, small bits of bullshit(fixed resolution,30 fps cap, gfwl, no mods) amalgamated to make one huge pile of bullshit. One or two of this would be acceptable. All 4 of those are in just 'what' territory. I'm still buying the PC port, but fixed resolution in this day and age is just silly.

It reminds me of the DMC3 and RE4 PC ports. Those were fucking terrible and took ages for the community to clean those up. And yet they were never able to fix the horrible optimization, obviously. It's not very enjoyable to see a major publisher making a half-assed port and leave the community to deal with it.

EVOL on
    edited April 2012
    From aren't PC devs. They said that going into it. Namco-Bandai pressured them into doing it, so they're doing it. You really can't be mad at them for it.

Flamelurker down! L1'd. What a rush.
    I spammed magic. :(

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    I'm not angry at From, hence why I chose the word publisher instead of developer. I just wish Bamco put more effort into it.

Oh well. It's still a great game and I'm getting stable fps so I'm not complaining too much.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    Well, small bits of bullshit(fixed resolution,30 fps cap, gfwl, no mods) amalgamated to make one huge pile of bullshit. One or two of this would be acceptable. All 4 of those are in just 'what' territory. I'm still buying the PC port, but fixed resolution in this day and age is just silly.

It reminds me of the DMC3 and RE4 PC ports. Those were fucking terrible and took ages for the community to clean those up. And yet they were never able to fix the horrible optimization, obviously. It's not very enjoyable to see a major publisher making a half-assed port and leave the community to deal with it.
    Where are you getting this information from? None of the interviews I've seen have mentioned anything about a fixed resolution or an FPS cap.

Steam Profile: Lork
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470636
    - Miyazaki says that the base game is intended to be a straight port with no change in resolution and he specifically says not to expect 60 fps. This is probably his most controversial statement, because it does seem to suggest that it will run at a locked resolution and framerate. Until he clarifies further, I do feel that is the intended message to manage expectations.

Keep in mind that was a translated interview, and we're not even sure that's what he said. (Also I got banned in that thread for taking his side. Stay classy, NG staff.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fixed resolution? Frame rate cap?
    erKGO.gif

(But seriously, I won't buy it if it's fixed to 720p.)

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EVOL wrote: »
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470636
    - Miyazaki says that the base game is intended to be a straight port with no change in resolution and he specifically says not to expect 60 fps. This is probably his most controversial statement, because it does seem to suggest that it will run at a locked resolution and framerate. Until he clarifies further, I do feel that is the intended message to manage expectations.

God help them if there isn't resolution options/60fps. When the pc version was first announced everybody was excited about getting to play a version backed by pc hardware with a nice framerate. Removing that is pretty much dooming the pc version to fail.

Edit: ...but! I will still buy it. Since the game looks awesome and I'm used to shitty ports at this point :(

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That's like the opposite of what the original information we got about the PC version said. :(

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    I'd be very surprised at a fixed resolution and framerate, it just seems very counter to PC games these days, especially at 720p.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    He says not to expect 60fps, which doesn't mean we won't get to have a locked framerate at 30fps which will never dip.
    I don't think the game ever runs at 60fps on the consoles, does it?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.