As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AC CHALLENGE 29: They're just like us!

ScadillaScadilla Hates shavingRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Artist's Corner
NEW AC CHALLENGE RULE: Winner of the previous challenge picks the winner of the next challenge.

We're used to seeing video game characters being heroic, powerful, and almost invincible, but what happens after you beat the last boss? Show your favorite video game character doing something mundane: Mario making some spaghetti, Samus buffing her armor, Ryu pooping in the bushes, because he's a vagabond, etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For those of you who frequent the conceptart.org forums this should be pretty familiar; tens of artistic combatants thrown together in to an artistic arena, each struggling for the honor of being dubbed a master of the visual arts. Those of you who succeed will be bathed in glory and the blood of their competitors, those of you who fail will be exiled to a life of shame and isolation.

The aim of this thread is to try and spice things up a bit here in the ol' Artist's Corner. This thread is for entries in to the challenge or the discussion thereof. If you'd like to suggest a topic for the weekly challenge, go right ahead, but understand that the last winner of the challenge has total control over the task (unless they have won more than two challenges in a row, see rules).

The rules are simple;

RULES:

* One entry per person, per challenge.
* A contestant cannot win more than two challenges in a row.
* Winner gets the privilege of choosing the next challenge.
* Winner also gets the honor of picking the winner of the next challenge.
* At the end of a challenge, the thread is locked and a new one is begun.
* Stick to the challenge topic; no going off on a tangent.
* All formats welcome, whether they be traditional or digital; 2D or 3D; still or animated.

If you're looking for inspiration, check out the aforementioned conceptart.org forums (specifically the creature/environment/character of the week sections).

Previous Challenges:

CHALLENGE 1: Hidden World
CHALLENGE 2: Red Vs Blue
CHALLENGE 3: Satan Teapot
CHALLENGE 4: Crime Fighting Hobo
CHALLENGE 5: Universal Monsters
CHALLENGE 6: Lyric Interpretation
CHALLENGE 7: Santa vs Dinos
CHALLENGE 8: Retro Poster
CHALLENGE 9: Literal Literature
CHALLENGE 10: Choose! Choose the form of the destructor!
CHALLENGE 11: Heroes In a Half Shell
CHALLENGE 12: Fancy Hats
CHALLENGE 13: God Splicing
CHALLENGE 14: Copycats
CHALLENGE 15: Pinups
CHALLENGE 16: Trick or Treat
CHALLENGE 17: How Far We Have Come
CHALLENGE 18: Back to the Retrofuture
CHALLENGE 19: Crime Noir
CHALLENGE 20: Make a Video Game
CHALLENGE 21: You Just Got Served!
CHALLENGE 22: HERE THERE BE DRAGONS
CHALLENGE 23: I WANT TO BELIEVE
CHALLENGE 24: FIRST!!!!
CHALLENGE 25: YOUR NAME AS A LABEL
CHALLENGE 26: SEVEN DEADLY HELMS
CHALLENGE 27: Jurassic Park 4 Concept & Design
CHALLENGE 28: Pirate vs Ninja vs Cowboy

bombardier on

• JohnGamesJohnGames Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I present a work in progress to the competition! Real line work and coloring and shading and fourt thing go here to be done tommorow!

Link at work, right after an adventure:
    linkthepotmaker.png

JohnGames on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    i should probably walk away now, my first thought is batman sitting a desk in the batcave looking at a monitor we cant see face with a beer and box of kleenex.
    you just know something bad is happening to robin on that monitor

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

kahndog5.jpg
    Prior versions here
    Ok, I'm done. Somebody else make something now.

Linespider5 on
  • ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    Ha! That's great. It's exactly the type of stuff I had in mind. Hope to see more.

• FenominusFenominus Registered User new member
    Haha nice. I like the pink iPod.
    I've got one hanging in the mind. Hope to get it done and scanned in as soon as I go on break this coming week.
    So fear not Scadilla! More will come.

• StplmstrStplmstr Registered User regular
    Samus eating ramen while doing armor maintenance :)
    sameh.jpg
    (Didn't read the original post very closely to see samus was mentioned in there, just got the gist and went off :S)

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Zing that is seriously awesome

Instagram: fadedsneakers
    Really intrigued by the hatching. I've never seen a scene rendered that way before.

Fad- Thanks!

Line- It comes from a combination of the life drawing exercises in school that I have been goofing with (unsuccessfully for years) and getting inspired by guys like devilpig on dev art http://devilpig.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d49nbmj and Arnold Tsang when he does stuff like http://arnistotle.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/dwh4hh . And then trying stuff like http://stplmstr.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4704d5 and http://stplmstr.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d47nilb so obviously I am still trying to work out how to make it work best :)

Cool stuff, stplmstr. Interesting hatching technique. I think Dave and Arnistotle are using brushes to get the hatching while you're doing it manually. Maybe a little more time consuming, but still looks great.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I have just returned from exile, and its too late for me to jump into this activity... but Id like to try the next one, if the topic is as fun as this one. Anyone knows how long this activities take? (so I can get ready for the next challenge)

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    CHALLENGES GO ON FOR AS LONG AT THEY HAVE TO.

...but seriously, you've probably got enough time. If you still want in, whip something up!

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    awesome, now I have something to do at work on slow days! (its a bit of a stretch, but could it be superheroes in general, and not just video game ones? )

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    Can't speak for Scadilla, but if there's ever been a video game with the superhero that you're thinking about in it, you're probably a-okay.

If the superhero you're talking about has ever been in a game then you should be good.

Some inspiration:
    bZbxb.jpg
    Not mine, btw

That's one tiny tent right there.
    :winky:

Sca- Thanks. On Daves image you can see it more in the colour that the colour is given with texture more than flat colour and in the Arn one you can see it mainly in the samurai's clothing where he is actually using lines and hatching. I am however doing it much more obviously so it looks diff but it is there in both images :)

Stplmstr wrote: »
    Sca- Thanks. On Daves image you can see it more in the colour that the colour is given with texture more than flat colour and in the Arn one you can see it mainly in the samurai's clothing where he is actually using lines and hatching. I am however doing it much more obviously so it looks diff but it is there in both images :)

That Samurai is really intriguing to me. It's obviously digital art, but...the artist has taken some serious care to give it the qualities of physical painting. From the sculpted look over the top of the ghoul's head to the underpainting bleed along the bottom curve of the composition to the tasteful use of different brush types to establish a sense of texture and material...I'm not entirely sold on the face and the neck is a little too geometric in my opinion, but...strong colour choices, strong compositional choices, and a very astute use of blending in the surrounding negative space to make the whole image more dynamic than it would otherwise be. There's a lot worth studying in this piece.

It seems like this ran out of steam. I'll leave it open for a few more days in case anybody wants in and make a decision so another topic can take over. I'll decide a winner on the 19th.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    How do I get in on the next Artist's challenge?

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    You... participate? It's not something you have to sign up for or anything.

Wasn't sure if there was a pre-sign up or an email list to get the heads up on the next challenge. Seems like every time I see these they are a month old or more.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Scadilla wrote: »
    Some inspiration:
    Not mine, btw

Some more inspiration?

This is kinda cool.

this is that guy arnistotle

I'ma do one now.

ninjai on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    But street fighter characters are routinely depicted at noodle stands and sushi restaurants. You'd think they all work at restaurants part time to make ends meet or something.
    Now Chun Li on a bicycle would be more interesting, or doing some intense thigh workouts. That would be something.

Dammit. I was going to do this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc

Looking for new idea

wp000324.jpg

I guess this'll be my submission lol

But if they're not angry then what is their purpose?

The plate with bacon on it looks like a giant spliff, also how indifferent do you have to be to eat your own unborn young!?

Alright, fellas. I've enjoyed all your interpretations of your favorites character's downtime, but I think you'll agree that the clear winner is Staplemaster.

Just in case he doesn't notice, send him a pm. Also, congrats Stapel!

Staplemaster decides the next topic and creates a new thread. When he notices he has won...

Hey @Stplmstr you won and we all love you. Now select a challenge so we can draw to the death for your amusement.

edited April 2012
    Heyo, sorry I didn't come by in a couple of days :S But hooray. I figured for the next challenge... I uh don't know the things that come to mind are 1)Doing the reverse of this challenge, Epic heroes from "mundane" beginnings 2) Doing a challenge that I saw on DAC the pet challenge where you design a pet and it's owner, they have to have the "pets look like their owner" element but you could have the pet be the usual house cat, dog etc or go further out with pet demon, robot... plant? 3) Design a vehicle and who would drive it, if you need a point of reference look at Wacky racers. So if anyone has a preference or suggestion have at it :)

Stplmstr on
    That pet thing sounds fun.

edited April 2012
    I like all of those ideas. I vote "Yes"

ninjai on
    Oh man, all of those are great.
    I like the third one.

Yeah vehicle+driver challenge sounds cool too.

I love Wacky Races, the cartoon and game for Dreamcast. I'll throw in a vote for that one if you haven't decided.

This discussion has been closed.