As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breath of [Phalla] III - Final Day - Teepo's World (Cultist Victory)

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    If anyone wants to know the gene combos for dragons (spoit?) let me know, I'll send you a PM with the link.

Just one question: Was there going to be something fuck-awesome if they tried to make the kaiser without the proper gene to control it, like I read in the wiki? I got so excited when I saw the failure gene was dead and they made a kaiser.

The Infinity gene gave a 2 damage non-elemental vig. However, if it was used without Failure, or without one of the special combos (Ultimate Kaiser, Tiamat, or Bahamut), then it would randomly target. Nothing too crazy :)

I was hoping to come on at 10:30PM and see half the players in the game crushed to smithereens.

The word "smithereens" would have been fantastic in the narration.

Oh, and thanks for the "hubris" insertion in my death narration. Not sure if anyone connected that with my fake reveal, though.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Thank you for all the compliments, those that enjoyed it. I am glad some people did! That is what I am here for - a conduit to my players' enjoyment. I really am upset about so many players thinking the game was shitty because of poor balance, that is honestly the worst thing, I get how frustrating it can be to invest so much and fall short because of the host's mistakes.

Just remember I'm human too! Being berated over and over about the same mistake is incredibly demoralizing!

Come on, it's not like you gave every single person a random power, killed the wrong people in narration, and left half the kills up to a coin toss.

.... has sportz paid his dues yet?

No.

No he has not.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I realize I wasn't around near the end (sorry Langly, it's NHL playoff time) but I'm not sure I'd have changed my vote off of Alegis.

Knew he was mafia and I figured there may be a partial win if Obi was alive still. I really just didn't buy that there would be a direct opposition to Ryu that was converting for an SK/cultist faction which seemed to be the thought on the network board.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Oh yes, I nearly forgot.

Remember how I said back on like day 3 that Obi was up to something? And then everybody promptly kept on without me?

Yea. I'm right about things sometimes. :D

I deleted so many drafts of posts that I wrote up in my defense as a result of your posts. It was hard to just sit back and hope that no one bought into your consistent voting of me.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One other thing that was confusing was that the opening material stated that the standard life was 2. I think the average life was 4 or higher in reality.

and by confusing I mean made me die ._.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I realize I wasn't around near the end (sorry Langly, it's NHL playoff time) but I'm not sure I'd have changed my vote off of Alegis.

Knew he was mafia and I figured there may be a partial win if Obi was alive still. I really just didn't buy that there would be a direct opposition to Ryu that was converting for an SK/cultist faction which seemed to be the thought on the network board.

it was a small post, and happened after no one was reading it, but he did post his vc there. "Kill everyone"

edited April 2012
    38thDoe wrote: »
    One other thing that was confusing was that the opening material stated that the standard life was 2. I think the average life was 4 or higher in reality.

standard =/= average
    Langly wrote: »
    REG Rysk wrote: »

it was a small post, and happened after no one was reading it, but he did post his vc there. "Kill everyone"

Yeah, that was really dumb of me.

ObiFett on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Also I was trying to target villagers, since I thought the mafia wasn't doing that great. I thought anialos was mafia because of the constant defense of roman. Obi and dumpshock seemed so suspicious I thought they were mafia too, and thus ignored them.

I have such great aim, I'll make a great vig some day!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to know the gene combos for dragons (spoit?) let me know, I'll send you a PM with the link.

Just one question: Was there going to be something fuck-awesome if they tried to make the kaiser without the proper gene to control it, like I read in the wiki? I got so excited when I saw the failure gene was dead and they made a kaiser.

The Infinity gene gave a 2 damage non-elemental vig. However, if it was used without Failure, or without one of the special combos (Ultimate Kaiser, Tiamat, or Bahamut), then it would randomly target. Nothing too crazy :)

I was hoping to come on at 10:30PM and see half the players in the game crushed to smithereens.

Oh, and thanks for the "hubris" insertion in my death narration. Not sure if anyone connected that with my fake reveal, though.

I'm not quite as bad as Burnage, I don't think :)

Related to your hubris narration, Obi, you might have noticed Myria sparkled on a particular day.

38thDoe wrote: »

The mean was 3.5, but that includes the Berserker (who had 12) and Teepo (who had 9), without them it was a little over 3. Mode was still 2.

jdarksun wrote: »
    @ObiFett I like to think I had some small part in this victory for you.
    I think I'm probably exaggerating.

Thanks for running Akimbo, I had a lot of fun the one day I was alive. :)

I felt so bad about how day one went down and having to choose between you and kime.

You were a massive help that first day and you should count yourself as getting this win. You were basically our faction day one and then came out and caused a lot of genes to contact kime and you.

I'm not quite as bad as Burnage, I don't think :)

Related to your hubris narration, Obi, you might have noticed Myria sparkled on a particular day.

HOW DID I MISS THIS?!?!

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Wait what?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    ""W... who are you!?" MrTLicious stammered as he fell back onto his back.

"You.. don't even recognize she who gave birth to this land? She who granted you your very life and prosperity?" Myria sparkled as she looked at the chubby teenager.

"I see. You must be in league with those evil creatures. No matter, in my infinite mercy I will grant you respite from your tortured existance."

Pain wracked every inch of Lang, and then he was gone, forever. "

----

It was sort of a joke. On Day 2 Obifett formed the Faerie Dragon, who had no powers, so he said he wanted to sprinkle faerie dust on Myria.

edited April 2012
    hahahahahahah

Nice, Akimbo.

Nice

ObiFett on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Were there any actual healers or non-mafia guards, or were those just dragon abilities that were never usable?

Yeah, my role
    Peco
    You are a strange plant, created by the runoff of a genetic experiment. At least, that is the ruse you put up. You are secretly the God of Nature, Yggdrasil, and are trying to assist Ryu in his goal to defeat Myria.

HP: 5
    Abilities:
    Vitalize: You seek to protect the earth, rather than cause harm. You may heal a target for 2 HP, or guard a target from the first 2 damage they take this round. You may target yourself.
    Holy Element: You are associated with Holy. This means you take 0 damage from any holy based attacks aimed at you.

Win Condition: Defeat Myria and her allies, and any other threats to the Brood

Unfortunately, when this game started I was fine health wise. Then Tuesday morning around 3 AM EST my Kidney stone hit. From that point on I was playing in a drug induced haze before ending up in the hospital and having to withdraw. Further complicating matters was the fact someone kept hitting me for 3 damage, meaning I was wasting time guarding myself instead of others. The day I withdrew I was down to 1 HP, but had picked up a snazy 1 HP free daily regen.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Wait how did you know which elements hit you then?

steam_sig.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

he guarded for two, he was being hit for 3, so he would see the damage

Akimbo told me in my PM.

Also, the one day I didn't target myself, I healed Kime. So, that didn't help in the end.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well, that was fun. Never been a SK before. Would have been more fun if I had managed to actually kill more people. That was part of the reason I revealed to Anialos: I had only managed to kill like two people in 4-5 days. My victory condition was "destroy all life," and alas I am very far from being Infidel. I figured living on a couple more days and claiming a couple more kills was better than getting ignominiously voted out, while always theoretically looking for a chance to go out in a blaze of glory with a betrayal of the network. Was probably going to do it the day after I got voted out - good job to Spoit for preempting me, though lucky I wasn't around right before close!

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Akimbo, other than what people have already harped on about, this felt like a pretty decent game. If the village had known they were hunting the cult too, I wouldn't say the mafia were particularly unbalanced however i would also avoid giving mafia too many powers that can be lost upon mafia death as it removes some of the games inherent balance flexibility.

What I would like to note is that, as far as i'm aware, standard phalla rules do not prohibit role-calls. Generally they're accounted for with cover roles or public villager PM. If you want to outlaw them, make it bold and clear in your OP.

Secondly, role-calls tend to be used to referring to someone (generally confirmed village) asking every player to contact them with their name/role. This is different to asking who a name/role is and in my opinion wouldn't fall under the category of a role call.

Assuran wrote: »
    Were there any actual healers or non-mafia guards, or were those just dragon abilities that were never usable?

Yeah, my role
    Peco
    You are a strange plant, created by the runoff of a genetic experiment. At least, that is the ruse you put up. You are secretly the God of Nature, Yggdrasil, and are trying to assist Ryu in his goal to defeat Myria.

HP: 5
    Abilities:
    Vitalize: You seek to protect the earth, rather than cause harm. You may heal a target for 2 HP, or guard a target from the first 2 damage they take this round. You may target yourself.
    Holy Element: You are associated with Holy. This means you take 0 damage from any holy based attacks aimed at you.

Win Condition: Defeat Myria and her allies, and any other threats to the Brood

Unfortunately, when this game started I was fine health wise. Then Tuesday morning around 3 AM EST my Kidney stone hit. From that point on I was playing in a drug induced haze before ending up in the hospital and having to withdraw. Further complicating matters was the fact someone kept hitting me for 3 damage

Oh, heh heh. That was me.

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    All I can add, as someone who was supposedly a special, I had no idea how to use my power, or even what it did.

corvidae wrote: »
    All I can add, as someone who was supposedly a special, I had no idea how to use my power, or even what it did.

I was deliberately vague just because I wanted to keep the knowledge about gene mechanics to a minimum, and only allow the actual users to disseminate it. The idea was that either Spoit or Obi would get into contact with you, tell you "Hey, I know these 3 genes make this dragon, but I don't know what that dragon does", and you could tell them. It was MOSTLY a fluff ability, not super significant, your major 'power' was 4 HP.

@romanqwerty -
    What I would like to note is that, as far as i'm aware, standard phalla rules do not prohibit role-calls. Generally they're accounted for with cover roles or public villager PM. If you want to outlaw them, make it bold and clear in your OP.

Secondly, role-calls tend to be used to referring to someone (generally confirmed village) asking every player to contact them with their name/role. This is different to asking who a name/role is and in my opinion wouldn't fall under the category of a role call.

I thought they did, but even still, I think I said no rolecalls, though it may not have been very strongly stated.

And I know that's the true definition of a rolecall, but the idea behind doing a rolecall is that anyone who claims the same role as someone else must be mafia, so by forcing people into either doing that, or not, its a weird way of confirming, because if the mafia come forward, they are effectively taking a 50-50 shot at dying. I was harsh on it in this game because in sportz' game the exact same thing happened, and it basically made it impossible for the mafia to hide anymore.

It's a strange line, and there were plenty of ways for the village to confirm people, I don't think they really needed another :)

Guards were also made aware what element type they blocked. There was only three characters capable of guarding (Peco, Ryu, and Teepo), and Ryu and Teepo never blocked any damage, as far as I recall.

@spoit

you said something earlier in the game (day 4-5 I think) about assuran having some weird Reverse powers? Why did you think that?

I blocked (kinda) 3 damage on kime the day he died.

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    @romanqwerty -

I thought they did, but even still, I think I said no rolecalls, though it may not have been very strongly stated.

And I know that's the true definition of a rolecall, but the idea behind doing a rolecall is that anyone who claims the same role as someone else must be mafia, so by forcing people into either doing that, or not, its a weird way of confirming, because if the mafia come forward, they are effectively taking a 50-50 shot at dying. I was harsh on it in this game because in sportz' game the exact same thing happened, and it basically made it impossible for the mafia to hide anymore.

It's a strange line, and there were plenty of ways for the village to confirm people, I don't think they really needed another :)

It was thrown in with all the other standard rules and very easy to miss.

The main difference is that in a role call, you have no idea what exists and just wait a see what people send you. It forces mafia to lean on their cover roles or make something up. Two people claiming the same power doesn't necessarily mean mafia either, but two people claiming the same name could. Either way, this is very different saying 'I know role X exists with this name, who is it' and I wouldn't consider the latter a form of role call at all.
    That's not to say that you can't outlaw it in your game, and it was probably the right move to do so, but you should try and be specific about rules like that from the outset because they aren't the norm.

Guards were also made aware what element type they blocked. There was only three characters capable of guarding (Peco, Ryu, and Teepo), and Ryu and Teepo never blocked any damage, as far as I recall.

@spoit

you said something earlier in the game (day 4-5 I think) about assuran having some weird Reverse powers? Why did you think that?
    Because he knew which elements he was hit with, whereas I didn't, and if taya knew which type hit her, she didn't tell me

steam_sig.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular

@spoit

Because he knew which elements he was hit with, whereas I didn't, and if taya knew which type hit her, she didn't tell me

I knew I was hit with fire. I guess it never seemed important enough to tell you.

edited April 2012
    Ah, I guess it was because I was hit with non-elemental damage

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    @romanqwerty -

It was thrown in with all the other standard rules and very easy to miss.

The main difference is that in a role call, you have no idea what exists and just wait a see what people send you. It forces mafia to lean on their cover roles or make something up. Two people claiming the same power doesn't necessarily mean mafia either, but two people claiming the same name could. Either way, this is very different saying 'I know role X exists with this name, who is it' and I wouldn't consider the latter a form of role call at all.
    That's not to say that you can't outlaw it in your game, and it was probably the right move to do so, but you should try and be specific about rules like that from the outset because they aren't the norm.

Fair enough.

edited April 2012
    Akimbo, don't be down on yourself. It was a fun and interesting phalla. Yes, some things didn't work out quite right and I can understand why some people were a little annoyed at the position they ended up in, but I have only been playing phalla since February and I have been in much worse. It was a tricky thing to balance and pull off. I definitely don't think anybody really saw it coming, and the "Oh shit" moment last night is something people in this game will have fun remembering.

(Although I'm still a little surprised that apparently nobody but me got even a little suspicious after that bit of lore somebody dug up in the first couple days about Teepo ultimately being a villain in the game. Was I the only one who read that post? Gotta go back and try to find it now. Then every night, Teepo is just goin' to town forming dragons, and I as a SK who really doesn't give a shit am just sitting there thinking to myself, "Hmmm...")

Oh, didn't see this post before:
    name wrote:
    i believe gaslight thought they thought he was a normal vig

but they were all too aware

I told Anialos straight up I was a SK, and offered to vig for the network, or I would try to solicit an offer from the mafia. I figured the always slim chances of me actually being able to kill everybody would obviously drop to none if I got voted out that day, and killing more people was better than...not killing more people. Besides, there was always the possibility of some crazy endgame scenario I could come out of. And like I said before, I was waiting for a chance to turn on the network and go out with a bang, but I waited too long...didn't realize we were so close to what the network thought would be the end of the game, and of course I, like everyone else, didn't see the cult reveal coming.

Gaslight on
    Even if we were suspicious, the network didn't really have any other vigs. Baidol died early and dumpshock was hilariously innactive. Not to mention being able to confirm people

steam_sig.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Even if we were suspicious, the network didn't really have any other vigs. Baidol died early and dumpshock was hilariously innactive. Not to mention being able to confirm people

Not hilariously inactive enough to avoid forcing me to out myself.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    I'm just as glad I never had to use my cover role, because looking at the BoF wiki...uh, I don't think it would have been so great for deflecting suspicion.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Funny, I thought farangu was my mafia buddy for a while because of his terrible lazy mafia style posts.

Will read conclusions later tonight! Thanks for hosting Akimbo

Of course
    - Mafia quite underpowered. Not capable of taking out specials fast enough, they always had forewarning.
    - Village siding with SKs/cultists was a terrible move from their part. 1) wasn't needed 2) see, now you lost.

edited April 2012
    You thought the mafia was under powered? The village only had 2 vigs with less killing power than you had. And the vote was last.

EDIT: checked. We had 2 2 damage attacks. And each mafia was 4 HP on top of the other powers you had

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, people did pick up that kime was not village, right?

He reveals as "village" without proving his ability at all, seemingly to preempt others from proving theirs first
    He does NOT prove his ability
    He dies purple

Anyways I'm guessing that if the village had voted out teepo (hahaha) the cultist faction would have been eliminated? Only way victory would be possible on the day langly thought it was impossible.

Maybe host clarifications were overly misleading, but as someone who was just looking at the players act kime was being kime at his worst :P

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You thought the mafia was under powered? The village only had 2 vigs with less killing power than you had. And the vote was last.

EDIT: checked. We had 2 2 damage attacks. And each mafia was 4 HP on top of the other powers you had

A bit. But don't forget seering and other powers, and the entire seering by gene switcheradoo thingies. Doesn't matter if it's neutral later swallowed up by SK, typically they work with the network (way to prove themselves) and work to undo uncertainty in the game about both mechanics and players. The mafia was the minority in the unknown here. We didn't know shit as to what was going on and had to fish. That doesn't work as well for trying to blend in/cover.

Problem was the network was quite powerful, you took quite a couple of hits to die as well. If a) you have trouble blending in b) it's really troublesome if network pieces can hop along and survive. Our powers were only 4 dmg and 2 dmg vig. The other things you are referring to are element protection which is rather random. You can't maximize the utility of the 4+2 dmg when you don't know if the target didn't die due to guarding, passive element protection or extra health. The mafia's biggest problem was information in this game, check the proboards to get a better glimpse from that perspective and forget everything you know of the game from your own PMs etc.

edit: and the vote coming late was actually a major disadvantage to us, considering no individual abilities (and getting killed by those who did and got voted off such as dangerous SKs siding with the village)

Alegis on