As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    People always pick the earliest dates, because it theoretically gives you the most play time. But who seriously plays the entire game through? I generally quit when I've "won".

The earlier a start date you choose, the more ridiculous of a game world you'll have.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    People always pick the earliest dates, because it theoretically gives you the most play time. But who seriously plays the entire game through? I generally quit when I've "won".

The earlier a start date you choose, the more ridiculous of a game world you'll have.

Agreed. In my Spain game I only wanted to unite Spain, but then I had hostile Muslims to the south and a hostile France north, so I expanded and attacked both, which gave me the strength to attack everyone else... I think in future games I'll stop when I've reached my goal, because once you reach a certain size conquering the whole world is just a matter of time.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    I can see where everyone comes from with that playstyle, but for me the fun of the game is in not having any goals and simply having to deal with what the game throws at you. Admittedly, my time with CK2 has been more structured than EU or Victoria, but I think that's down to the more elaborate plans you can pull off now. Things like marrying the fifth-in-line to the duchy of Whereeversnia and then systematically murdering everyone, in the correct order. Or plans to remove that pain in the arse rival who keeps trying to stab you, and then remove his wife, his children, his uncle and his dogs, then taking his lands for good measure.

The fact that the world doesn't follow any semblance of history or plausibility doesn't bother me in the slightest. The weirder the better, really. Far more entertaining.

Looking back, it seems that so many problems can be solved with judicious use of fatal accidents. This is a trend I'm not too worried by. My blasé attitude to this is more worrying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Assassination solves all problems.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Any word on the DLC/patch? Currently in the hospital so hard to check.

• Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Don't know if it's live yet but here's the change log.

I like this bit:
    Portrait clothes are now uncoupled from ethnicity

Edit: This is going to make landgrabbing a billion times easier:
    Cannot end civil wars until the temporarily independent vassal has no holdings occupied by outsiders

Oh and thank god they fixed this:
    Children born to parents in a matrilineal marriage should now end up in the mother's court

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Assassinations are now more expensive depending on the rank of the target

Good thing you already got all those Caliph assassinations out of the way!
    Vassals will no longer hate you for newly acquired Holdings that take you above the demesne limit. You have two months to get rid of them.

Finally

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Oh shiiiiiiiiii-

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Characters can now only pick the Amass Wealth ambition once

Noooooo the infinite loop!

The members of the House of Vermandois are now members of House Karling

Ebum ragequits

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Empires are now allowed to create kingdoms

That sounds like it means the Emperor gets to also be kings of Germany & Bohemia, which effectively means they can't ever really lose power via the vote. Unless those kingdoms are created elective too, which would be really funny

Phyphor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's just a name change, doesn't change their great great ... great grandfather.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Really nice changes in those patch notes. About the only thing I'm miffed about is the Amass Wealth loop. Only because my leaders in this game are continually failing in the stewardship department. Excellent at being around people who have unfortunate accidents though, so I let them off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's just a name change, doesn't change their great great ... great grandfather.

Doesn't this actually make them part of Charlemagne's house? Pre-1.05 I think their house changed to de Vermandois after Bernard of Italy because he was a bastard, I guess, though he doesn't have that trait.

Nine on
  • Options
    Nine wrote: »

Doesn't this actually make them part of Charlemagne's house? Pre-1.05 I think their house changed to de Vermandois after Bernard of Italy because he was a bastard, I guess, though he doesn't have that trait.

Yep, apparently Karling is another way to spell Carolingian

• Options
    Farleyman wrote: »
    I can see where everyone comes from with that playstyle, but for me the fun of the game is in not having any goals and simply having to deal with what the game throws at you. Admittedly, my time with CK2 has been more structured than EU or Victoria, but I think that's down to the more elaborate plans you can pull off now. Things like marrying the fifth-in-line to the duchy of Whereeversnia and then systematically murdering everyone, in the correct order. Or plans to remove that pain in the arse rival who keeps trying to stab you, and then remove his wife, his children, his uncle and his dogs, then taking his lands for good measure.

The fact that the world doesn't follow any semblance of history or plausibility doesn't bother me in the slightest. The weirder the better, really. Far more entertaining.

Looking back, it seems that so many problems can be solved with judicious use of fatal accidents. This is a trend I'm not too worried by. My blasé attitude to this is more worrying.

Oh, I get that some people like never ending conquests. Its, just, take my screenshot of Spain on the previous page. I have all of Iberia and North Africa. Why would I expand? I guess I could take Jerusalem without making my borders ugly and I guess that'd be a fight (Seljuks outnumber me 2:1).

And when I say historically accuracy, I don't really expect the game to be historical. I like that its a sandbox. I don't like things like having no Ottomans in EU 3 or a Byzantine Empire that never crumbles. It makes the game world too silly. I finally found a start that fixes the second problem though. You start after 1080, when there's a huge sultanate of Rum.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, the patch is live because my game just updated. The launcher shows 1.05. It also mentions the new DLC but it's not on Steam yet. Definitely getting that.

Guess I'll have to redo my mod tweaks, but thankfully they were pretty simple.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ha ha, it's amazing how quickly a kingdom can turn south when your shitty grandson, (who somehow in the brief 2 years I gave him the crown of Scotland managed to get himself the nickname "The Cruel,") inherits on your death and every single vassal starts demanding land, rebelling, and plotting your demise. Took my entire 500 gold surplus to put it all down, but I think I finally managed to lock up the worst offenders, and knock my biggest land holding rival, the Duke of Lombardia, down a few notches.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Farleyman wrote: »

Oh, I get that some people like never ending conquests. Its, just, take my screenshot of Spain on the previous page. I have all of Iberia and North Africa. Why would I expand? I guess I could take Jerusalem without making my borders ugly and I guess that'd be a fight (Seljuks outnumber me 2:1).

And when I say historically accuracy, I don't really expect the game to be historical. I like that its a sandbox. I don't like things like having no Ottomans in EU 3 or a Byzantine Empire that never crumbles. It makes the game world too silly. I finally found a start that fixes the second problem though. You start after 1080, when there's a huge sultanate of Rum.

See that's interesting. My current game, the Byzantine Empire hasn't exactly crumbled, but its already had to piece itself back together once and is certainly fractured again now. Almost all their Turkish holdings are now a part of the Byzantine Kingdom and wholly independent from the Empire.

Granted that's really little more than a name change, but its more than I've head happen to them from around a few places now. Will have to see what happens when I start another game later.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Played the new patch in my Ireland game over lunch, the changes are really nice. Still wish I could force enemies to give up any held counties/titles when I've won a war and forced their surrender. Yeah it would probably be broken as hell; I only hate it because I've been trying to whittle away at this puny little duchy neighbor of mine, but all of my claimants don't seem to inherit the damn titles when win the wars, getting so annoying.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you pressed the claim on the Duchy proper you already own it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've been playing EU3 DW as the English. Figured they would be a nice start since there an island, and the Scots aren't that much of a problem. However, stupid France keeps declaring war on me. I wouldn't have a problem with this expect my armies cannot win a battle on the main land. Every time my loyal English soldiers set foot on the main land their slaughtered. Any advice for a noob?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    They probably have a high military stat king, who is leading the armies. Leaders count for alot in EU 3. If you can't match an enemy general with one of your own, or outnumber him substantially, it can be a good idea to avoid battles until he dies.

Alternately, they either outnumber you, or are using large amounts of cavalry compared to yours.

Can't say for sure what your problem is without more info.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Alternately, stay out of land battles. Build a nice fleet to stop them ever getting to England, give up anything on the mainland. It's not glorious, but it works.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Holy crap this patch is looks amazing. Definitely putting some time into CK2 tomorrow (had to get a project milestone done today).

I didn't notice anything about reducing levy recovery though. That is probably the main reason blobs stay so strong right now - military defeats have little long term consequences because levies recover so fast that when a doom stack is obliterated the owner can almost immediately raise another stack of about the same size.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Holy crap this patch is looks amazing. Definitely putting some time into CK2 tomorrow (had to get a project milestone done today).

I didn't notice anything about reducing levy recovery though. That is probably the main reason blobs stay so strong right now - military defeats have little long term consequences because levies recover so fast that when a doom stack is obliterated the owner can almost immediately raise another stack of about the same size.

You should've been apart of the MP game last night: the ERE suffered serious losses (nine or ten duchies broke off).

Levy reinforcement rates are a bit silly, I'll agree, but blobbing has just suffered a serious blow with this patch.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »

You should've been apart of the MP game last night: the ERE suffered serious losses (nine or ten duchies broke off).

Levy reinforcement rates are a bit silly, I'll agree, but blobbing has just suffered a serious blow with this patch.

How so? I'm not disagreeing with you here. Just curious about the implications of the changes. I'm not familiar enough with the game to really parse the changelog all that well.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Anyone looked at Naval War: Arctic Circle?

seems pretty neat if you like missiles and boats

• Options
    Vi Monks wrote: »

How so? I'm not disagreeing with you here. Just curious about the implications of the changes. I'm not familiar enough with the game to really parse the changelog all that well.

They changed independence wars so that when the war begins the rebel gains an immediate (and rather fast moving) ticking score towards victory so long as he's in control of his lands, so the moment they rebel the liege is on the clock to re-assert their authority over them. The ERE had an unlikeable ruler (French kid, lol...) take over so a bunch of the vassals rebelled, and they just didn't have enough time to lockdown, well, most of em' before they won their freedom thanks to a ticking score and just a handful of sieges.

THAT, and now when a vassal rebels, there's new rules for people attacking the rebel: if, say, Armenia where to rebel against the ERE, then they cannot white peace out of the war if an enemy force occupies any of their lands. Conversely, now the ex-liege is hostile towards the people invading their rebelling vassal. So there's much less of that "Oh, we're rebelling... but we'll white peace the moment the Caliph looks at us" crap, but on the flipside the invader may have to worry about the liege.

But the ERE in that game is a good enough example for me. I think back to all the times I've seen the HRE in an uproar, and I'm confident that if the rules were like they are now that it would've lost some territory.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

They changed independence wars so that when the war begins the rebel gains an immediate (and rather fast moving) ticking score towards victory so long as he's in control of his lands, so the moment they rebel the liege is on the clock to re-assert their authority over them. The ERE had an unlikeable ruler (French kid, lol...) take over so a bunch of the vassals rebelled, and they just didn't have enough time to lockdown, well, most of em' before they won their freedom thanks to a ticking score and just a handful of sieges.

THAT, and now when a vassal rebels, there's new rules for people attacking the rebel: if, say, Armenia where to rebel against the ERE, then they cannot white peace out of the war if an enemy force occupies any of their lands. Conversely, now the ex-liege is hostile towards the people invading their rebelling vassal. So there's much less of that "Oh, we're rebelling... but we'll white peace the moment the Caliph looks at us" crap, but on the flipside the invader may have to worry about the liege.

But the ERE in that game is a good enough example for me. I think back to all the times I've seen the HRE in an uproar, and I'm confident that if the rules were like they are now that it would've lost some territory.

That makes sense. Sounds like a really good set of changes. I really need to put some more time into this game.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    So playing EU3 HTTT and goddamn I didn't realize that annexing was so bad. 72 Bad Boy. Definitely trying a different tack.

• Options

The first change doesn't actually matter unless you're fighting a dozen rebels at once, grab a territory and that free war score should go away. The second is only relevant for blobs vs blobs because now you're always fighting the biggest blob.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    They probably have a high military stat king, who is leading the armies. Leaders count for alot in EU 3. If you can't match an enemy general with one of your own, or outnumber him substantially, it can be a good idea to avoid battles until he dies.

Alternately, they either outnumber you, or are using large amounts of cavalry compared to yours.

Can't say for sure what your problem is without more info.

Basically this. England vs France early on is a sucker's game for England; France has better generals, more troops, more land, more money and better mobility. You can beat them, I've done it, but you have to be very careful in doing it.

One of the problems with France is there are a ton of defensive terrain modifiers, if you're attacking you're probably fighting in forests (bad for the attacker) and/or across a river (also bad for the attacker). What you really, really want to do (besides go after Burgundy first if you can) is stay near the coast, let them come to you and identify the best places to attack, if you have to, the best place to retreat is onto your ships because France can't follow and doesn't have the navy to challenge you

Surprise the AI with reinforcements too, the HTTT AI doesn't properly look at travel times, so if you have a 5k stack being attacked by a 15k stack and you can drop 20k on the province on the same day, do it, the AI will often still go for it

Attrition is also a big thing, you will be suffering it, France likely won't because the provinces are fairly rich. Also, keep in mind that a retreating army gains morale, but doesn't reinforce; an advancing army gains both, so if you can get a French army to retreat, keep going after it until you crush it

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You should not be fighting land wars as England if at all possible. I play Magna Mundi, so YMMV, but as ultra-wealthy, ultra-naval, ultra-colonial Scandinavia just about the only kingdom that was a push over for me and my 20K incredibly crappy troops was England.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure their leaders are better. How do I raise my army and navy tradition? I believe battles help, but then I'm in a catch 22 where I need to win land battle to win land battles. Also, i just gave France what they wanted, but then I lost prestige from having uncontested cores. So, I i surrender to France and the also renounce my claims will that help?

• Options
    Giving up cores is usually something you don't want to do, the prestige hit isn't so bad really. You raise tradition mainly from battles, but there's an idea that will give you 1/year and an advisor that will give a bunch too

• Options
    Well, finally gave EU:3 a spin (because, and this may shock yall, I've had fun with EU:Rome)... and despite all the similarities, I'm still mostly confused right now.

Also, I chose Muscowy in 1399 and my game is already looking over as more Mongols than I could hope to ever fight off have gone right after me, and I have no idea how to get them to piss off. I've heard "just offer to pay tribute at the start", but I've yet to have the Mongols accept.

I know, I know, I should've used Castille or England or something to learn the ropes... but I wanna be a slight underdog and in Russia, so I can go on to try and replicate history and push from Moscow to the Pacific, and recreate the conquest of Siberia and colonization of western North America. I'm a huge fan of Eastern European history, and Russia during THIS period is one of my favorites... and I'll be honest, I'm chomping at the bit to play it.

I suppose I could either...

A. Start up with the larger, already paying the GH tribute nation of Novgorod at the start (but I wanna be Muscowy, darnit!)...
    B. Start at a later date than 1399 after the Golden Horde has splintered apart, and accept losing ~50 years of gametime.

Also, question: how do rebelling vassals in the New World work? I know a few of the countries like the USA and Brazil can be founded after breaking free... but what determines what? If I were to colonize Alaska and the west coast as Russia and they broke free, would they potentially become the USA or something entirely different? And to throw in, I'd totally save my game and reload as the new Russian speaking nation in Alaska if given the opportunity.

• Options

Now I almost want to boot up Civ IV: Colonization with the extra nations mod. I had such a freakin' blast slapping down the natives with Russians. I just wish they'd expanded on that game. It's great to be able to set up a colony and ultimately rebel... but once you rebel, that's it. There's no expansion post-rebellion, nothing regarding the history of your new nation beyond the war for its independence. I suppose EU:3 can give that opportunity, minus the part I won't be able to be in charge of the new country until after the rebellion.

Quickly someone, combine EU:3, CKII, and Civ4: Colonization into one super game.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    HTTT or DW?

New World rebellions are pretty simple: you get a bunch of events, eventually, once the colonists get pissed off (which may or may not ever actually happen) they just up and get cores on a bunch of territory and declare independence. Since it's an independence war, you can re-annex them if you win. Who they become depends on where they are - the US always forms in the same region, same with all the others. They can be a little off, but not by much. I don't think the west coast would ever rebel, just east coast is scripted I think (in north america anyway)

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    HTTT or DW?

New World rebellions are pretty simple: you get a bunch of events, eventually, once the colonists get pissed off (which may or may not ever actually happen) they just up and get cores on a bunch of territory and declare independence. Since it's an independence war, you can re-annex them if you win. Who they become depends on where they are - the US always forms in the same region, same with all the others. They can be a little off, but not by much. I don't think the west coast would ever rebel, just east coast is scripted I think (in north america anyway)

Interesting...

And I have DW.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Now I almost want to boot up Civ IV: Colonization with the extra nations mod. I had such a freakin' blast slapping down the natives with Russians. I just wish they'd expanded on that game. It's great to be able to set up a colony and ultimately rebel... but once you rebel, that's it. There's no expansion post-rebellion, nothing regarding the history of your new nation beyond the war for its independence. I suppose EU:3 can give that opportunity, minus the part I won't be able to be in charge of the new country until after the rebellion.

Quickly someone, combine EU:3, CKII, and Civ4: Colonization into one super game.

What I want is a Warhammer 40k and CK2 crossover. Start out as a planetary governor and work your way up through the Imperial hierarchy while dealing with demons, xenos, and everyone else trying to stab you in the back.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".