As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficial PAX PRIME Community DVD - AVAILABLE NOW!

ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front ProductionsLake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX General Discussion
Prime-2010-DVD-logo-564px.png

finally.png
Too many months in the making, the Unofficial PAX Prime 2010 Community DVD is finally complete!

Click on that big download button down below to grab the torrent containing all nine DVDs that make up this set, along with disc labels for each. The total size is about 66GB, but if you know torrents at all then you are aware that you can choose to not download certain files within a torrent; in this case, certain DVDs. So we've got a list here of what you will find on each disc, in case you only want to see certain things.

If you thought we had some good concert footage from East 2010, this dwarfs it tenfold. And it's only getting better! The concerts were all filmed with anywhere from 2-4 cameras, mostly spread out amongst the front row. The footage turned out great for the most part, but unfortunately that front-most section of Benaroya produced rather horrible vocals, so we apologize for that but there was little we could do about it. The audio however has been extensively worked with, so the music still sounds pretty good!

We hope you all enjoy this, as well as look forward to our future projects. Now that we have assailed the technical problems which delayed this release for as long as it did (and now that we have doubled our post-production staff), releases will come along at a much more rapid pace. We especially look forward to Prime 2011 and East 2012, and we can't wait to get them out there for you all to see!
downloadtorrent.png
Disc 1
Anamanaguchi
The Protomen

Disc 2
Metroid Metal
The Minibosses

Disc 3
Paul & Storm
Jonathan Coulton

Disc 4
MC Frontalot
Musical Guests Panel
All Documented Salmon Security Episodes; otherwise known as the PAX Prank!

Disc 5
Opening Keynote by Warren Spector
Penny Arcade Q&A 1
Roosterteeth panel

Disc 6
8-Bit Soundwaves: A Look into the World of Chiptune Music panel
OC ReMix panel
PAX Late Show Recording Session panel

Disc 7
Penny Arcade Make-A-Strip panel
Pitch Your Game Idea panel
Mega64 panel

Disc 8
Omegathon Round 4, featuring Rock Band on the main stage! Also the Sex Generals!
After Hours with Scott & Kris panel
Blamimations Alive! panel

Disc 9
Gabe & Tycho Media Q&A
Penny Arcade Q&A 2
Omegathon Finale / Closing Ceremony

New to torrents?
If you've never used a bittorrent program before, worry not. They're rather simple to use. I personally recommend uTorrent. So to keep this simple; download and install uTorrent. Once that's done, download this torrent and run it (double-click on it). That should bring up a window in uTorrent, with a list of all of the files contained within it. By default everything should have a check in the box next to it. If you need to save bandwidth, or only want to see specific things, go ahead and un-check the box next to anything you don't want to download. Refer to the posted content list above to determine what you may want to see and what you may not care about.

Once it's all done, you will need to either mount the .iso image to a virtual disc drive, or simple burn it to a dual-layer DVD. For disc-burning, I recommend a very simple, reliable, and easy to use program called imgburn. Otherwise I'm sure at least most of you have burned a disc before, so you know what to do. :P

If you don't want to burn, and instead mount it for viewing on your computer, I will recommend either Daemon Tools or PowerISO as a program to use. With each program you can create a virtual disc drive to mount an .iso image to; then you should be able to play the disc in most media players. VLC player is rather good for watching DVD's, but it does skip some of the first-play/disclaimer parts we've put onto the discs. Otherwise, believe it or not, Windows Media Player may work fairly well, it will at least load everything properly. Media Player Classic works well too, except you can't navigate the menus with anything, or see which item is selected; you just have to click on a menu item with your mouse and it will work fine.

If you have any questions or issues with any of this, please let us know and we'll help you out if we can!

Old Post:
PAX Prime 2010 has now come and gone. We did battle at the concerts. We bared witness to the revealing of a game announced over a decade ago that many thought never existed. And that's not even the tip of the iceberg. We went in with cameras and equipment at the ready, and came out with what will ultimately be our biggest project yet. And with the help of the community (that's you guys), it can be infinitely greater. So why not help us help you?

Updates
Last Update: 7/6
Sorry for the delay, we've been having serious issues with a large batch of footage on DV tapes. The tapes are making their way to another member of my team, and he can hopefully capture said footage without any problems. Provided that goes well, we will be back in action within the next couple weeks, and will actually be pretty close to being done. We will actually have a head-start on the East 2011 set as well, and it will be done in record time anyway as we won't have to deal with DV tapes, which has been the primary cause for delays in the past. We'll keep you guys posted.

Also, we uploaded a full panel! It's posted below.

2/27
We are beginning to get everything organized and ready to go to seriously begin our post production for this project. We have more people to help us out and less work to do than our East project so hopefully we'll make good time. Don't expect any more updates until after East 2011 in a couple weeks. Right now is a good time for you all to submit your photos and videos to us if you have not already. We have one preview video up now, check the section below this.

Also, The Unofficial PAX East 2010 Community DVD set has been released. Check out this thread.

Footage From Us
Rough Edit - Metroid Metal performing Brinstar, in 1080p (read the description before commenting)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgaAF0q7-Mo

Musical Guests Panel, from beginning to end!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkf67XJof8o

Panels And Events We Were Able To Film
After Hours With Scott & Kris
Blamimations Alive!
8-Bit Soundwaves: A Look into the World of Chiptune Music
Opening Keynote
Make A Strip panel
Gabe & Tycho Media Q&A
Loading Ready Run panel
Mega64 panel
Musical Guest panel
OC ReMix panel
Pitch Your Game Idea panel
Penny Arcade Q&A 1
Penny Arcade Q&A 2
Roosterteeth
PAX Late Show Recording Session
Omegathon Rock Band round
Omegathon Finale / Closing Ceremony

Anamanaguchi, Jonathan Coulton, MC Frontalot, Metroid Metal, Minibosses, Paul & Storm, The Protomen - all in their entirety from many cameras!

And some other things like a BYOC walkthrough, the CCST arrival, and some Jamspace sessions. I do not have all the footage yet so there may be more. And you all can of course submit your footage to us as well, even if it's of something already listed here.

Specific Things We Want Pictures Or Videos Of
*May be populated later if there's something we know we missed that we wanted.*

How To Submit Your Photos And Videos To Us
Head on over to our website, www.paxcommunitydvd.net. Along the top there are a series of buttons. For photos, click on the Flickr button and share what photos you want. For videos, click the Video Submissions link and submit your stuff. Upload it to a place like YouTube or Vimeo first then all you need to do is provide a link in our submission form.

If you have bigger/longer content that you want to submit to us without uploading it, let us know here or on our website forum. We can provide access to our FTP or figure something else out.

Everybody will get full credit for everything they submit to us, so don't worry about that. If there are any questions, comments, concerns, or whatever else, let us know.

Where Do I Get This When It's Released?
Here and/or on our website. We release this as a set of DVD .iso images that people can download from us via bit torrent. No we do not produce and ship physical copies, though we might in the future. I understand many of you probably have poor internet connections and downloading 8GB DVD's isn't really a feasible option, so we're looking into other options, but this is it for now.

Also, we do this for free. We are and have always been non-profit, and plan to keep it that way. We may allow donations in the near future but don't ever expect to have to pay us for anything.

If anybody has questions or concerns about downloading these or using bit torrents, just ask. If you've never used torrents before or mounted disc images on a computer, you can google that, it's pretty simple. And we will hopefully have this done in a few months, but right now there's no telling how long it will take, especially because we still have to finish the PAX East set. We'll let you know when we know.

ORIGINAL POST
Who we are and what we're doing.
This is a bit about who we are, what we do, and a bit of history, for those of you who are unfamiliar with us. Simply put, we are a small group of dedicated people that understand the true epicness of the Penny Arcade Expo and wish to document as much of it as possible for the world to see. We take our cameras and tripods to the concerts and as many panels as we can, film them as best we can, and put it all together to release as a set of DVD images available for people to download free of charge. We don't necessarily consider ourselves professionals. I might consider a few others on my team that, compared to my own skills, but we're really just a group of people who know some things about filming and editing and came together to do something cool for the community.

It started with myself and a friend of mine who decided to purchase a DV camcorder about a week or two before PAX08, so we could film what we wanted and document our own adventure. After filming the concerts as well as parts of some community events, among other things, we released it as a set of DVD images that people could download on the internet for free. Turns out, people really liked it, or at least the fact that we did that. Shortly before PAX09, I was contacted by the founder of the PAX Photo Patrol, PapaPrinny, in an effort to join forces for the greater good. I think it's safe to say that it was a good idea, as even though we weren't able to coordinate much that year, it helped out this DVD project immensely. And if it weren't for him we wouldn't be where we are today, and wouldn't have made it to PAX East earlier this year either.

Our team was small back then, our resources limited. But now, PAX Prime 2010 is just over the horizon, and our team has more than doubled in size. This year should be nothing short of amazing for us, but that doesn't mean we can do this on our own. This is a Community project; created by the community, for the community. Sure, we have our primary staff of dedicated volunteers, but that doesn't mean we can film everything. People always request us to film certain things and we can't always fill those requests. And this is where you guys come in. We will be rolling out our own filming schedule as PAX inches it's way closer, and anything that doesn't show up on our list is something we could use help with. We're always looking for volunteers, whether it's somebody to work with us the entire weekend or to just film a single event for us. We try to cover Community events as well; we will likely be attending the Pre-PAX Dinner as well as the Triwizard Drinking Tournament. But that's not all...

What other footage is the Community DVD looking for?
Anything, really! So long as it's PAX related, we want footage of it! The idea of the PAX Community DVD is to share the PAX experience, and all of it! If we could, we would get every moment of the event on film! But whatever footage you take at PAX or on your way to PAX, be it you hanging out with your friends, unplanned hijinks caught on film within the expo center, so long as it has anything to do with PAX or getting to PAX, we want it!

So if you plan on taking a video camera with you, let us know after PAX either right here or on our Video Submissions page! If your video is longer than 15 minutes (the youtube cap), post it here and we'll provide you with our FTP server info.

Do I need special camera equipment to film an event?
Heck no. With the possible exception of low-quality cell phone footage, so long as it takes video, it's probably good enough for us.

What if I have no experience handling a camera?
We don't care! You don't have to be a professional videographer. Heck, we aren't! So long as you are able to hold a camera and don't make a habit of wildly shaking your video camera every which way while you record, you are the wo/man for the job!

Will I get credit for my submission?
Absolutely. Be sure to tell us who you are and how you would like your name to appear in the credits, and we'll put it in there.

The bottom line is this:
If you are taking a camera to PAX, we want your footage! The Unofficial PAX Community DVD is created for and by the community, so that's you guys! So arm yourself with tapes, batteries and your camera, and we'll see you in Seattle!

Look out for us around Seattle during PAX!
If any of you want to find us during PAX to say hi, do something random in front of our cameras, or whatever else, it hopefully won't be so hard to identify us. At least a few of us may be wearing Community DVD T-shirts (design will be posted once we finalize it, if we go through with it), and a couple of us will be trading buttons for the buttoneering exchange as well. We will likely be at the Pre-PAX Dinner, Trizizard Drinking Tournament, and the buttoneer gathering after PAX is over Sunday evening. Be sure to follow us on Twitter as well, as we will probably be tweeting new info throughout the weekend.

What does the Community DVD desperately need help with?
i.e. What panels do we want to have on film that our team will not be able to get?

TBA after our schedule is figured out...

Our current filming schedule
This will not be finalized for a while yet, but for now I can list what we will likely be filming.

Opening Keynote
Penny Arcade Q&A #1
Hal Halpin and Adam Sessler Talking Games
A Sophisticated Evening with Rooster Teeth Productions
OverClocked ReMix panel
A Live Demonstration of RAGE
Mega64: Panel For Laughs
Friday Night Concerts
PAX Late Show Recording Session
Penny Arcade Make a Strip Panel
Pitch Your Game Idea
Acquisitions Incorporated: D&D Live!
Musical Guests Panel
Wil Wheaton
Scott and Kris After Hours
Saturday Night Concerts
Blamimations ALIVE! with Kris and Scott
Further Greetings From A Dead-Tree Dinosaur Cartoonist
Penny Arcade Q&A #2
Final Round of the Omegathon

And some more panels we will try to get to.

Square Enix
Guild Wars 2: Designing Dynamic Events
Star Wars Games - REVEALED!
Media-Only Q&A With Gabe & Tycho
X-Play LIVE: A Show on Television

NSw0gum.png
zerzhul on

• jimgoingsjimgoings Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm interested. Thinking about bringing my Panasonic HDC-TM300 with Rode Video Mic. The sound off this mic is terrific. At the very least, I'll shoot with my iPhone 4 which does decent 720p.

How are these videos uploaded to you for the DVD?

jimgoings on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds good!

If you upload your video(s) to places like YouTube or Vimeo (among others) you can head over to our Video Submissions Page on our website and submit the video via linking to where it's uploaded.

Otherwise if you don't want to upload it anywhere let us know what ya got here some time after PAX and we can give you access to upload it to our FTP server.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Sounds good!

If you upload your video(s) to places like YouTube or Vimeo (among others) you can head over to our Video Submissions Page on our website and submit the video via linking to where it's uploaded.

Otherwise if you don't want to upload it anywhere let us know what ya got here some time after PAX and we can give you access to upload it to our FTP server.

Thank you for these DVDs, the last two were so awesome. Love these.

r

Rayman on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jimgoings wrote: »
    I'm interested. Thinking about bringing my Panasonic HDC-TM300 with Rode Video Mic. The sound off this mic is terrific. At the very least, I'll shoot with my iPhone 4 which does decent 720p.

How are these videos uploaded to you for the DVD?

I would love you if you did. I've got the HDC-HS300, and we would love to have more of that kind of video quality.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Your links at the top and "previous projects" section are all broken in that OP!

BoomShake on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Your links at the top and "previous projects" section are all broken in that OP!

Fixed, thanks for the heads up.

Gotta love it when the forum adds quotes at random spots in the url, or just adds an extra http:// tag at the beginning...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • VanusVanus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll have my 7D with me. I'll flip the switch over to video mode occasionally, and see if I get anything good.

Vanus on
  • RadicalIsotopeRadicalIsotope Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you also looking for photos for a PAX Prime Flickr pool? If i remember you had a pool from PAX East this year and was wondering what kind of shots you might be interested in.

RadicalIsotope on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will probably send you some terrible iPhone 4 footage.

(Though, that said, the videocamera on that little bugger is surprisingly nice.)

Imperfect on
    edited August 2010
    Why yes, we do have a Flickr pool, from which we make DVD menus, Ken Burns montages, and other ssssstuff!
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/paxcommunitydvd/pool/

We also have an EXCEEDINGLY simple and easy-to-use video submission system!
    http://www.paxcommunitydvd.net/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3
    Works with Youtube, Vimeo, and a number of other video sites! We prefer those two services though, as we can easily download from them.

papaprinny on
  • sunnykodasunnykoda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey people, I'm filming part of a doco on gamer culture at PAX, and you are welcome to use any footage I shoot while I'm there. Tricky part is afterwards I'll be heading straight for Vancouver and I'm filming in HD o the files are huge. If one of you has a PC at the BYOC I could do a dump before leaving the show?

sunnykoda on
    I am filming a documentary about gaming culture and need help from gamers: http://www.sunnykoda.com/L2PUSA/index.html
    edited August 2010
    Nah, we won't be doing BYOC. We'll be out filming, not LANing! I have an ftp server you can access after the fact though if you'd like to share your content with us. We'd certainly love to see it. Just message us after PAX with what you'd like to do. Did you want to send it to us as b-roll, or did you want to edit it first and send it to us afterward? Because it usually takes us a while to make a Community DVD set!

papaprinny on
    edited August 2010
    We might have a computer in our hotel room, and we will have multiple terabytes of hard drive space, but I'm not sure if we would be able to work anything out. Depending on how much room your footage takes up however, I do have a few friends in BYOC that I might be able to con into taking the footage from ya.

Otherwise, pretty much what Papaprinny said.

Also, on an un-related note, I have scheduled an interview/demo of Guild Wars 2 with NCSoft at 9am Saturday morning. I'm just a huge GW fan, but if anybody isn't able to check the game out or isn't attending PAX and wants to see it, we should have that online at some point that day. I'm way too excited for this.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • killtripkilltrip Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you want any help with POST? thats what I do for a living.. is shoot and post commercials, lol. I will be shooting, and will contribute, I'd love to help post it.. maybe some after effects stuff? :D

killtrip on
    twitter: @killtrip
    edited August 2010
    Killtrip: YES. YESYESYESYESYES YES. We definitely need help doing post, and would love to have your assistance! How soon can you start? If you like, you can help us get the PAX East Community DVD out the door as well!

papaprinny on
  • killtripkilltrip Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    more than happy too! email me at jrquigley@gmail.com and let me know what you're looking for.

killtrip on
    twitter: @killtrip
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be filming stuff from the Prank, which I can't really talk about, other than that I will be filming it. so I'd like to submit that if you don't mind :)

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    I'll be filming stuff from the Prank, which I can't really talk about, other than that I will be filming it. so I'd like to submit that if you don't mind :)

Cool! I'm well aware and informed of the prank and will try to film some of it as well when I get the chance, but I'm glad to hear you will be as well.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    killtrip wrote: »
    more than happy too! email me at jrquigley@gmail.com and let me know what you're looking for.

Dude, you rock!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    edited September 2010
    PAX Prime 2010 has been conquered. We had a great time, and hope you all did too. We are incredibly impressed with a majority of our footage from Benaroya Hall and can't wait to show it off to you all. We will slowly get to that, but now it's time to get back to work on the PAX East project.

Now is also the time for you all to submit your photos and videos to us. We'll take pretty much anything, and you will get full credit for everything you submit. Head on over to our website and use the Flikr pool button for photo submissions or Video Submissions button for, well, video submissions.

I've also redone the OP and will update it regularly.

Finally, I want to thank all of you who have helped us out and submitted your stuff to us. We met a lot of really cool people over the weekend and make some new friends and contacts.

So I'll keep updating this when necessary, and hopefully we'll see you guys in Boston next March.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not done uploading my videos yet. Here's what I got so far:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stevemcb1982?feature=mhum

You may see that one of them is nearing 50,000 views...

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i have tons of footage to upload, will update this post when it is done.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    uploaded a bunch of video/pictures this afternoon. Hope you can make use of em. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KillerJones33?feature=mhum

My Youtube channel with all my PAX videos.

KillerMcDead on
    edited February 2011
    Bumping this old thread to let people know that we are slowly getting started on our Prime 2010 project. I still need to get all of our team's footage, but we'll be kicking into full gear soon after East 2011 in a couple weeks. So if any of you still have photos and/or videos you are willing to submit to us, please do so soon!

I see some of you posted links in here already so I'll start going through those soon and talking to you guys.

There's one of our videos up now, it's posted in the updated OP up above. It's a very rough edit but a good look at what you can expect from our concert footage.

Also, thanks to Moe Fwacky for unlocking this thread for us. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was going over a bunch of my footage from Prime, and realized I have a ton of footage from the Lucasarts/Bioware panel that I've never posted. Is that something you guys would be interested in?

KillerMcDead on
    edited February 2011
    Oh yeah for sure, I actually wanted to attend that. How was it?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Table mics, table mics!" Yeah, this one is gonna be good ^__^.

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    Bumping an old thread, because...

It's finally finished! And you can all download it now!

We really hope you all enjoy it. Let us know if you have any issues with downloading, viewing, etc.

NSw0gum.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bumping an old thread, because...

It's finally finished! And you can all download it now!

We really hope you all enjoy it. Let us know if you have any issues with downloading, viewing, etc.

Fantastic! I notice in the OP you don't mention East 2011 in your "upcoming" ..... Should we be worried?

Oh no, it'll be there. We've already got a bit of work done on it already too. I'm personally just barely excited about it compared to Prime 2011 and East 2012. :P

NSw0gum.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh no, it'll be there. We've already got a bit of work done on it already too. I'm personally just barely excited about it compared to Prime 2011 and East 2012. :P

I can see why... there's so much more PAX Prank content in the latter set, it HAS to be more exciting! ;)

Indeed there is, but there's much more than that.

NSw0gum.png
  • lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Oh man... the prime's available too.. damn you Comcast. :(

Again I'll volunteer my services to burn/ship DVDs at cost if I can manage to get a copy...