As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Looks like CK2 got a stealth update:
    - Fixed a bug with all children getting the exact same education trait
    - The mouse wheel now works for scrolling in all windows again
    - Autopause on events in full screen mode now works again
    - AI: Made smarter about when to join Crusades/Jihads. Reduced "dogpiling".
    - MP: Fixed issue where the client was able to change starting date in the lobby, causing all kinds of issues
    - MP: Fixed an issue with being able to select dead characters from previous bookmarks
    - Fixed a bug with de jure assimilation of duchies when the king himself held counties in it
    - Fixed an issue with some plots where plotters did not get what they plotted for
    - Fixed an issue with war contribution scores turning negative and strange in huge, drawn-out wars
    - AI: Less keen on picking the 'Revoke Vassal Title' plot
    - Fixed an issue with the Weaken other Vassal plot where vassals at another level than you could plot against you
    - Assimilating duchies are now shown clearly on the map in the De Jure Kingdoms map mode
    - Exported WOMEN_INHERIT_PRESSED_CLAIMS and BASTARDS_INHERIT_PRESSED_CLAIMS to defines
    - Title creation was possible when at war for independence, resulting in an inconclusive ending and you as "victorious"
    - Added some missing French and German translations
    - Fixed a bug with the DLC banner not updating correctly in the main screen
    - Corrected text color codes in the French translation
    - Fixed a bug with the wrong text shown in Crusades/Jihads against heretics

Nothing major, just some bug fixes really.

Also see the new DLC is up, as well as 3 song pack DLCs. Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen DLC that adds music to a game. Looks like they're situation specific. One is for playing as England, one is for being devout, and the other is apparently for playing a middle-eastern character? Hmm.

Will grab the Ruler DLC for sure and will think about the Albion song pack.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    HTTT or DW?

New World rebellions are pretty simple: you get a bunch of events, eventually, once the colonists get pissed off (which may or may not ever actually happen) they just up and get cores on a bunch of territory and declare independence. Since it's an independence war, you can re-annex them if you win. Who they become depends on where they are - the US always forms in the same region, same with all the others. They can be a little off, but not by much. I don't think the west coast would ever rebel, just east coast is scripted I think (in north america anyway)

Interesting...

And I have DW.

DW hordes are much, much nastier. I have a bit more experience fending off the Timurids, but the GH is also quite nasty. I guess, let them grab some territory then offer tribute? I doubt you'll be able to beat them early on

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I hate France. Lord how I hate them. 1468 and I've acquired babrant most of Burgundy, oldenburg, Utrecht and just need friesland. Then France goes to war with me after trucking with England. Did I mention I left the HRE to lose infamy penalties. Army strength of 92k vs my 37k. Fml.

Should I ne using spies to create revolts to slow them?

mrt144 on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Not sure exactly what is meant by "west coast won't rebel" above. I've seen a "Mexico" that was just the west coast of the modern USA.

1208768734831.jpg
    Not sure exactly what is meant by "west coast won't rebel" above. I've seen a "Mexico" that was just the west coast of the modern USA.

How far up the coast did they go? I didn't think anything north of around california had tags for colonial rebellions

mrt144 wrote: »
    I hate France. Lord how I hate them. 1468 and I've acquired babrant most of Burgundy, oldenburg, Utrecht and just need friesland. Then France goes to war with me after trucking with England. Did I mention I left the HRE to lose infamy penalties. Army strength of 92k vs my 37k. Fml.

Nah, that won't do anything. Lower their stability is a better choice. What you really want to do is let those 90k attrit away in low supply provinces. Keep all your troops split up but close by and swarm one stack at a time. Don't be afraid to let some provinces get occupied. Never attack into bad terrain - forests, mountains, across rivers. Make sure your best shock general arrives a day before the other armies (or better yet just have one general for all). If you do it right, they'll have huge revolts back home

I honestly don't even remember how far north the map goes. I'm not sure it goes beyond California. In any event, California is the only place I've ever seen Mexico. Its showed up there several times in my games.

1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2012
    The map itself extends all the way to alaska, though there aren't many provinces in that area

Phyphor on
    Right, I mean I don't remember where the wasteland area is. I've never actually taken California. I was close in my last game, but I lost interest. I conquered all of Italia as the Pope, and then decided to conquer the contiguous United States area, but was disappointed to see how much was wasteland. Hopefully the next EU game fills that wasteland with the color of the nearest state so the borders aren't so ugly.

1208768734831.jpg
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Alrighty, gave Muscowy another shot, in part thanks to finding a tip guide someone gave for em'.

I ignored the GH outright at the start and immediately pressed my conquest claim on Yaroslavl. Not long after that, the Horde accepted a small tribute from me to sod off. After that I ran the Smolensk rebels out of my land (jerks), and built up some forces, joined the Novgorodian Trade Group... and then did something that may not have been too bright. Despite knowing full well they're allied with Novgorod, I went ahead and pressed my next mission claim on Ryazan. I tried a Blitzkrieg tactic, but matters were not helped by my allies being the two province nation of Tver, and the Teutons who were too busy with their own war to help out.

Thanks to the poor timing I chose to start the war, I took a serious beating before I finally got Ryazan to annex. I ended up having to take out a mess of loans to afford the mercenaries to push Novgorod out of my lands, but it worked. I survived my stupid war and got the land I was after, but now I have three or four loans I'll have to pay off, and Novgorod are being jerks and embargoing me.

But hey, I'm alive, I'm still gaining ~15 ducats a year, and after seeing what they've got I feel good about whenever I have to square off with Novgorod again. Meanwhile, the GH is embroiled in several wars with the other horde folks, so I'm content to just relax while I decide if I want to stab the now one province Tver in the back or not (Smolensk set up shop in their other piece of land).

Ideally though, I'd like to know how to get this freakin' embargo lifted off of me.

So i reloaded the autosave from earlier in the year after france attacked me and killed all my armies in less than 2 weeks...because I left the morale slider to the minimal state. Upon reload I sent gifts and improved our relation and then lo and behold both england and bohemia separately declared war on france and I sued for a white peace almost immediately.

Alrighty, my first third EU:3 game with Muscowy is going pretty smoothly. The GH hasn't bothered me ever since I started paying tribute, Ryazan and Yaroslavl are conquered, and I just dealt a big enough blow to Novgorod that they won't be a real threat to me. Took three provinces from em' over the course of two wars, hopefully that'll be enough to keep my infamy down.

Also, what a nasty, sneaky way to prevent Civ style super conquests. I was about to try and take damn near all of Novgorod, then I noticed how much goddamn infamy it'd give me... and I'm pretty sure that'd be a bad. So I just settled for cutting em' in half, with Muscowy now stretching to the White Sea. And all of this in just 20 years.... game definetly has a different pace than CKII. Suppose the next decade though will mostly be me just sitting around rebuilding, and letting everyone forget what a warmongering prick I am.

Yeah, EU3 is all about grabbing what you can on the cheap based on CBs. Better for stability too

Phyphor wrote: »
    Yeah, EU3 is all about grabbing what you can on the cheap based on CBs. Better for stability too

Aye... but other nations are starting to annoy me a wee bit. Novgorod lost control of Finland, which was promptly absorbed by Sweden... who then when and jacked two or three provinces from the crippled Novgorod.

Then my allies the Teutons were dicks and conquered a vassal that had broken free from Novgorod that I was trying to court. I guess, I like... could've forced Novgorod into vassalization if I'd stuck with the war rather than just take some of their land? Still learning the ropes, it's a different game than either of the two PI games I've played (even EU:Rome is a far different beast in some respects).

Oh well, maybe next I'll try to force my will over what's left of Novgorod, and/or push that claim I just got on Smolensk against Lithuania. I gotta get it to form Russia anyways.

Meanwhile, the GH is still leaving me alone. I guess they're happy with their tribute. How do I go about cutting them off? Will I just need to declare war and eat the no CB penalty if I don't have one?

• Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah you'll pretty much have to eat the CB penalty to declare war on the GH to end being a vassal.

Warfare with Hordes is different then normal war. You can't claim provinces in a peace deal, only offer or demand tribute. To take provinces from a horde you'll have to conquer it as normal with your armies and then send colonists to settle the land. When the colonists reach 1000 the province is yours.

If the horde takes back your colony they kill everyone and you have to start over. Worse if they take your territory and raid it enough it will flip to being owned by them.

The other big difference with hordes is there is no lasting peace unless your a vassal like you are now. Every 5 years the Horde will declare war no matter what.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing a game as Serbia in honor of an epic SA bloodline game of CK1, and I am having loads of fun with the new patch. Playing as the only independend Serbian duke, I swore fealty to Croatia at the start of the game and started gobbling up my fellow vassals. By the time the King grew wise of my plans I was strong enough to go independent and take over the rest of his kingdom, and after a short trip into Hungary I could form the Serbian kingdom.

I was considering pulling the same trick on the Byzantine Empire when I noticed that the Shia Caliphate had a child on the throne, locked in a brutal four way civil war. I pounced on the opportunity and managed to rather quickly take over one of the Egyptian duchies, while knowing full well that I would most likely be unable to defend it if the Caliph won against his usurpers.

Ten years later the great king who had lead Serbia from a minor duchy to a sovereign kingdom had died, and when his son started the inevitable second war with the Caliph it turned out to be quite different from the first. After twenty years of exhausting hit and run warfare we had fought to a stalemate, and it was only with the help of a timely crusade on Jerusalem that my measly ten thousand men were eventually able to grab another Egyptian duchy from the mighty Caliphate at their full strength.

Another ten years later the Crusade is still going on. The Caliph is winning most of the battles, but he can not quite drive the Catholics from the holy lands and some holdings are in Christian hands. His troops are weary and his generals are starting to lose hope. I believe it is time to show the Caliph once more that the Serbian kings will not be denied their price. Deus vult!

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Just listened to the new Albion song pack and it's pretty good! That's one thing I've noticed about CK2, it has amazing music.

Russian provinces are very difficult at earliest start in Divine Wind. You have to blitz and be lucky.

If you start in 1399, its easier to form Russia as the Teutonic Order or Golden Horde than it is as any Russian cultured state.

1208768734831.jpg
    Russian provinces are very difficult at earliest start in Divine Wind. You have to blitz and be lucky.

If you start in 1399, its easier to form Russia as the Teutonic Order or Golden Horde than it is as any Russian cultured state.

Well, then I'll take it as a compliment to my skills... or attribute it to my massive luck.

Smolensk and Tver are now both vassalized to me, and my annoyance at having the mission to get the county of Smolensk back from Lithuania (Save the Russian people, I think is the mission) with the jerkass Teutons more likely than not waiting to refuse my call to arms was quickly erased: Poland did me a solid and declared war on the Teutons, and unlike them (well, probably) I jumped in to help.

Until I'd beaten just enough of Lithuania around that Poland happily ceded Smolensk over to me, along with canceling their alliance with Transylvania. Thanks to the mission I only netted one infamy for taking a province in a defensive war, and now I can leave the jerks the Teutons and Bohemia to fend for themselves. It'll be an even fight without me and my vassals, I'd wager.

And now I've once again got the mission to subjugate Novgorod. THIS time, I'm not gonna screw it up. And all the while, the Golden Horde is still stuck in a never ending war with Venice & Friends... and (after non-stop pestering for about a year) I snagged an alliance with the Swedish superpower. With any luck they'll actually answer should I need them.

Vic wrote: »
    I'm currently playing a game as Serbia in honor of an epic SA bloodline game of CK1, and I am having loads of fun with the new patch. Playing as the only independend Serbian duke, I swore fealty to Croatia at the start of the game and started gobbling up my fellow vassals. By the time the King grew wise of my plans I was strong enough to go independent and take over the rest of his kingdom, and after a short trip into Hungary I could form the Serbian kingdom.

I was considering pulling the same trick on the Byzantine Empire when I noticed that the Shia Caliphate had a child on the throne, locked in a brutal four way civil war. I pounced on the opportunity and managed to rather quickly take over one of the Egyptian duchies, while knowing full well that I would most likely be unable to defend it if the Caliph won against his usurpers.

Ten years later the great king who had lead Serbia from a minor duchy to a sovereign kingdom had died, and when his son started the inevitable second war with the Caliph it turned out to be quite different from the first. After twenty years of exhausting hit and run warfare we had fought to a stalemate, and it was only with the help of a timely crusade on Jerusalem that my measly ten thousand men were eventually able to grab another Egyptian duchy from the mighty Caliphate at their full strength.

Another ten years later the Crusade is still going on. The Caliph is winning most of the battles, but he can not quite drive the Catholics from the holy lands and some holdings are in Christian hands. His troops are weary and his generals are starting to lose hope. I believe it is time to show the Caliph once more that the Serbian kings will not be denied their price. Deus vult!

Sounds awesome, always wanted to give the Serbians a try... of course, I also spend a lot of time with Bulgaria, who are my preferred group of South Slavic folks. As such, it means I don't want yet another game in or next to the ERE. :-(

And I really need to start up a game with the new patch in CKII. I guess as Bulgaria for the billionth time... but this is the patch that might actually cause crap to happen to the ERE, so... yeah.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    The ERE had an unlikeable ruler (French kid, lol...)

Hey, if my Occitan Catholic nephew that I engineered into ascending the throne of the Byzantine Empire is considered by his vassals to be "unlikeable" then clearly his vassals are horrid at judging virtuous people.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Is the ability to hire mercenary ship fleets new? Or is it because I'm playing someone besides England? Because it's awesome.

It's new, latest patch added them

Can Ethiopia hire mercs yet?

1208768734831.jpg
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular

Only if their ruler switches culture to a group that has mercs.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Only if their ruler switches culture to a group that has mercs.

Stop stealing my Bretons, damn you!

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    Oh come on, you have access to what, twenty mercenary groups? I can't help it that my dynasty has a thing for celtic women.

edited April 2012
    You can have em'. The men of Chud are known for their love of large, Slavic women. The kind of lady you can just bury your face into the chins of.

Comradebot on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They put in a matrilineal filter for the marriage screen!

YES!

I bought all the DLC because Paradox is awesome and deserves my money.

Edit: Holy crap my ally's army follows my stack around now. Awesome.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    So I joined a trade league and am a noble republic. I am debating whether to go on my own in a trade league but right now I have monopolies in every single CoT. I want to create a new CoT in bermuda to capture all that trade from the colonies. Do I form my own merchant republic at this point or just unjoin, build a CoT and then rejoin the trade league?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So in my single player game I need my mother-in-law to call me into her war. For the HRE. She has two sons, both of whom are married to 40 year olds and have no children. My wife is her eldest daughter. Unfortunately she's the second wife, so this would be the fourth son. The first three are married to the crown princess of Scotland, what would be the crown princess of Bohemia if one small child has an accident, and the crown princess of Naples (which is apparently a newly added Kingdom with no de jure land?). I think the play here is kill the Empress of the HRE once she wins, kill my wife when she inherits, and then kill my son before he can reproduce. Yay for being an opportunistic bastard.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The crowns of England and Scotland were usurp'd by Bishops (I'm not sure how, but I think its because they lost excommunication wars), so now run its by King-Bishops Drogo Volain and Neil Cameron. Former King Robert of England is on his way to usurp'ing his crown back, but its an interesting turn of events.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    So I joined a trade league and am a noble republic. I am debating whether to go on my own in a trade league but right now I have monopolies in every single CoT. I want to create a new CoT in bermuda to capture all that trade from the colonies. Do I form my own merchant republic at this point or just unjoin, build a CoT and then rejoin the trade league?

How do you continue your dynasty in a republic?

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I was really underestimating the Shia Caliphate, it turned out that the third war was so difficult that I actually loaded a previous save and postponed it for more than a decade. Luckily a second crusade on Jerusalem was called and it gave me the opening I needed to break the Caliph. Right now I am in a pretty comfortable spot, I'm just strong enough to face down the ERE and the Caliph is too weak to resist me. All the world shall bow before the Sjrb!

I really need to get better at abusing the inheritance system though. I usually find it enough of a challenge to breed a child fit for the throne that managing to snag a county out of the deal is just too much work.

I just entered an entirely different kind of nightmare. I spent time and effort to reach absolute crown authority just to prevent any one of my damned vassals from getting too powerful, but my dumbass duchesses are ruining all my efforts. There are seven duchies on the Serbian mainland, and this generation three of them are ruled by duchesses. Each of them has managed to marry a duke, meaning that within a few decades there will suddenly be three megaduchies, each with almost much land as me. It seems like I will be forced to adopt the new policy of murdering any female heir to a duchy before they can come to power.

• TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Your current monarch becomes the first president of the republic, at least until elections are called.

Also, EUIII doesn't follow your dynasty so much as your nation state.

teriferin#1625
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    So in my single player game I need my mother-in-law to call me into her war. For the HRE. She has two sons, both of whom are married to 40 year olds and have no children. My wife is her eldest daughter. Unfortunately she's the second wife, so this would be the fourth son. The first three are married to the crown princess of Scotland, what would be the crown princess of Bohemia if one small child has an accident, and the crown princess of Naples (which is apparently a newly added Kingdom with no de jure land?). I think the play here is kill the Empress of the HRE once she wins, kill my wife when she inherits, and then kill my son before he can reproduce. Yay for being an opportunistic bastard.

I'm playing single player as Denmark and my son/heir is married to the firstborn daughter of the king of Poland. He had 5 sons.

Had.

I feel kind of bad about when he game presents opportunities like that. Being able to just crank out plots seems op.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Notes about Crusades:

1) If you win, the highest contributor does indeed instantly become King of Jerusalem or whatever.
    2) The proper way to Crusade is to just zerg the fuck out of everything, because the algorithm is dumb. You don't get a ton of bonus points for actually contributing the required war score. So even though I was the only one who successfully sieged anything, the HRE got the title and the land because they sent like 100,000 dudes (70,000 of whom died to attrition) to my more successful 45,000 (40k of which survived the war).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Has anyone noticed a lot of unmarried female rulers since the patch? In my most recent game (as Scotland) I married my heirs to the young duchess/queen of Britanny, Normandy, and France in consecutive generations. Things got pretty silly after that, so I quit, but... there always seem to be a few unmarried female rulers floating around now.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    First time I've played this game since the big update, playing as the Duke of Lancaster, managed to fight off the Norman invasion. It's now 1100, and I'm plotting to lower crown authority. I love this game, and it's even better since the last update.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    I've gotten alot of brilliant remale rulers in my Ireland (Munster) game. Including 2 Catriona's. And i'm about to inherit the independant Normandy from a female ruler there.

This is definately the feminist patch and I couldn't be happier. There's something so grand about breaking up the men-only nature of these games with women who can do it better!