As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chaos] Chaos in the Old World - Discussion and signups - the Horned Rat

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Interesting, I've now seen both "HR is an incredible expansion!" and "HR makes the game so much worse." expressed on these boards.

Fight to the death, teams. I need a definitive answer.

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Interesting, I've now seen both "HR is an incredible expansion!" and "HR makes the game so much worse." expressed on these boards.

Fight to the death, teams. I need a definitive answer.

From personal experience, this forum and the BGG forum both represent different schools of thought. :D

mi-go hunter on
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I say it was an interesting idea not as well executed as the base game.
    Seems like they kinda threw a bunch of stuff at it & hoped it stuck.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    A general feeling I've seen for the expansion is that Nurgle/Slaanesh/Horned Rat are all much more luck dependent on card draws and OWC deck. Khorne and Tzeentch however have strategies that are always viable. Based on that luck people's impressions with the expansion will vary.

PSN SeGaTai
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    See, I have the opposite opinion of Nurgle and think his cards are absolutely horrible compared to base game. Nurgle's Quest in particular which, as designed, is nearly completely useless from a competitive standpoint in that it requires you to already have a board position in place in order to capitalize on it, and if you already have a board position in place...why aren't you reinforcing it as opposed to playing Nurgle's Quest?. Face it, no other play in their right mind is going to allow you to play Nurgle's Quest one round and then leave the slot open next round for you to play Filth, it's not going to happen.

Not to mention that compared to the only other 4 cost card, Lure of Battle, it doesn't get as nearly as much play. Lure of Battle is an actually useful card for Khorne to play and it comes with the bonus of not having to cost 2/3s of your PP allotment. Maybe if Nurgle's Quest cost 1 PP less for every point of Nurgle corruption in a region I could see it having more use, but Nurgle has incredibly high PP costs compared to other Gods on his cards and is typically the most screwed by battle dice since he can only gain dial ticks in 4 regions, the 4 regions which are the most contested to begin with.

I preferred the suit of base Nurgle cards we had: Plague Touch (used to remove enemy battle dice from the region & also costs 0), Plague Aura (free domination of a region & also costs 0), Rain of Pus (dear god yes), Influenza (useful early game for dominations), & The Final Rotting (really useful in killing absolutely everyone in a region).

By contrast, in the expansion the only cards I really like are: Filth (won't complain about 0 cost remove + place corruption), Creeping Death (the most amazing card), Quicken Decay (...eh, if people would ever play figures in regions where this is played it's okay), & Festering Fever (if only because Call to Arms/Warren's Erupt is absolutely crippling to Nurgle); and all of these with the exception of Filth & Creeping Death are meh rather than "yay". I'm not even going to give Virulent Outbreak the courtesy of suggesting it even exists as a card.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    These are Nurgles Base deck cards...
    3xPlague Touch - 0 - The defense value of each enemy figure in this region is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1
    4x(M) Plague Aura - 0 - Each of your corruption tokens in this region adds one to your domination value here
    3xRain of Pus - 1 - The defense value of each of your figures in this region is increased by one
    4xInfluenza - 1 - This region's Resistance is reduced by two
    2xAll Things Decay - 1 - Remove one corruption token belonging to any player from this region when you play this card
    3xThe Final Rotting - 2 - At the end of the battle phase, kill one enemy Cultist or Warrior in this region for each of your corruption tokens here
    3X A Great Foul Consumption - 2 - At the end of the corruption phase, after corruption tokens have been placed but before checking for ruination, remove all of your figures from this region. Place a corruption token here for every two units removed this way.
    2x(M) The Stench of Decay - 3 - If you dominate this region, place two corruption tokens here.

4x(M) Plague Aura -0- STRONG ! simple and hard to stop outside a counterspell.
    3xRain of Pus - 1 - Strong & Dull

4xInfluenza - 1 - OK, often does not work.

3xPlague Touch -0- Very weak effect.
    2x(M) The Stench of Decay - 3 - Good Effect, but hard to pull off, narrow and expensive.
    2xAll Things Decay - 1 -Very weak effect.
    3xThe Final Rotting - 2 - Very, VERY weak effect.
    3X A Great Foul Consumption - 2 - Very AWFUL!

Why the Hell would I want THREE A Great Foul Consumption?
    Has anyone EVER used this successfully TWICE in a game? I sure haven't. Twice I have used this card with success, ever.
    Comparing it to Nurgle Quest is a pretty reasonable comparisom, Nurgle Quest is COOL!, and does see play, and has worked. And there is ONLY ONE Nurgle Quest.
    And, A Great Foul Consumption is the ONLY creative and interesting card there. Woooo!

The Final Rotting is a great idea, and just dont work in practice. Killing stuff after the region ruins is more than a little sucky. Especially when Khorne laughs at you with Mr Angry. It only really works when a region has corruption, and people hurting you, and you have stuff there, and they care about losses, and you want to dominate and it costs TWO. At least it kills cultists before they place...

These are Nurgles Expansion deck cards...

3x (M) Filth - 0 - When you play this card, replace one opponent's corruption token in this region with one of your corruption tokens.
    4x Virulent Outbreak - 0 - This region is considered Populous.
    4x Creeping Death - 1 - If you dominate this region, place one corruption token in each adjacent region.
    3x(M) Festering Fever - 1 - If you dominate this region, immediately collect a dial advancement counter.
    3xQuicken Decay - 1 - When an opponent summons a figure to or from this region, score one victory point.
    3xChoking Stench - 2 - During the battle phase, each opponent rolls one fewer battle die for each of your Chaos cards in this region.
    2xUltimate Plague - 3 - During the end phase, leave this card in its current card space if you placed at least one corruption token in this region during this round. Otherwise, remove this card.
    1x(M) Nurgle's Quest - 4 - If you place at least one corruption token in this region, immediately advance your dial one tick and carry out the dial instructions. This can be fulfilled once per phase

4x Creeping Death - 1 - Brilliant, Best card in the deck. Creative card that expands where Nurgle can Tick.
    3xQuicken Decay - 1 - Interesting, and makes Nurgle think about other peoples play.
    1x(M) Nurgle's Quest - 4 - Brilliant card that has made people THINK. Sure it is hard to use and narrow. But the effect is UNIQUE. AND THERE IS ONLY ONE OF IT!
    3x (M) Filth - 0 - Just Excellent

4x Virulent Outbreak - 0 - Good Idea that expands where Nurgle can Tick
    3x(M) Festering Fever - 1 - Good creative card that expands where Nurgle can Tick.

3xChoking Stench - 2 - Interesting card that changes combat for ALL gods.
    2xUltimate Plague - 3 - Clever Narrow and allows for a longer view. Allows Nurgle to Dominate areas if placed late. Good thing there is only Two of them.

After going through them like this....The Nurgle Basic card seem designed for children & Beginners.
    The Expansion set are just better.

Magic Geek on

Which is why I just dont get this statement at all...
    Aegis wrote: »
    See, I have the opposite opinion of Nurgle and think his cards are absolutely horrible compared to base game.
    After the above analysis...WHAT?

Nurgle's Quest in particular which, as designed, is nearly completely useless from a competitive standpoint in that it requires you to already have a board position in place in order to capitalize on it, and if you already have a board position in place...why aren't you reinforcing it as opposed to playing Nurgle's Quest?. Face it, no other play in their right mind is going to allow you to play Nurgle's Quest one round and then leave the slot open next round for you to play Filth, it's not going to happen.
    HUH?
    Can't I just play it, dominate The Empire, place 2 corruption and double advance?
    And then there are those other ways of placing corruption, not just Filth.
    Not to mention that compared to the only other 4 cost card, Lure of Battle, it doesn't get as nearly as much play. Lure of Battle is an actually useful card for Khorne to play and it comes with the bonus of not having to cost 2/3s of your PP allotment.

Um.. What?
    Lure of Battle cost 0 or sometimes 1. If you seriously think it costs FOUR, you have not played it recently. Lure is a good, interesting card, but Quest is WAY more interesting, creative and just better.
    Maybe if Nurgle's Quest cost 1 PP less for every point of Nurgle corruption in a region I could see it having more use, but Nurgle has incredibly high PP costs compared to other Gods on his cards
    Quest is a goal card, it is a dream and something to plan with and for. It does not need to be cheaper.

and is typically the most screwed by battle dice since he can only gain dial ticks in 4 regions, the 4 regions which are the most contested to begin with.
    Um.. What?
    Nurgle does not Tick in Only 4 areas.
    Fully 15 of Nurgles 24 new cards help him “tick” from outside those areas, or without pieces IN those areas. EG Nurgles Quest, Filth, Virulent Outbreak, Creeping Death & Festering Fever .
    I preferred the suit of base Nurgle cards we had: Plague Touch (used to remove enemy battle dice from the region & also costs 0), Plague Aura (free domination of a region & also costs 0), Rain of Pus (dear god yes), Influenza (useful early game for dominations), & The Final Rotting (really useful in killing absolutely everyone in a region).
    See above for my take on those simple, blunt cards.
    By contrast, in the expansion the only cards I really like are: Filth (won't complain about 0 cost remove + place corruption), Creeping Death (the most amazing card), Quicken Decay (...eh, if people would ever play figures in regions where this is played it's okay), & Festering Fever (if only because Call to Arms/Warren's Erupt is absolutely crippling to Nurgle); and all of these with the exception of Filth & Creeping Death are meh rather than "yay". I'm not even going to give Virulent Outbreak the courtesy of suggesting it even exists as a card.
    I just disagree.
    So Virulent Death does not exist & Nurgle “can only gain dial ticks in 4 regions”.
    Um...What?

I used to think like you did.
    Then I played Nurgle Online and actually thought about Nurgle's cards.
    Online you get much more time to think about your plays.
    Online I learnt just how cool, creative and POWERFUL Nurgle's cards are, BUT, only if used while thinking. Nurgle Base deck cards just don't require that much thought.

So. Much. Popcorn.

edited April 2012
    stever777 wrote: »
    I say it was an interesting idea not as well executed as the base game.
    Seems like they kinda threw a bunch of stuff at it & hoped it stuck.
    I say the expansion was made by a brilliant designer that had played a lot of the base game and understood what he was doing to an incredible degree.
    It is innovative, thought provoking, balanced, widely variable, and allows players to plan without being boring. Sure the Bloodletter upgrade is just broken. Radically changing and improving the game to this level is borderline impossible to do without getting something wrong. The game is so utterly different compared to the base game, with so little change. The Expert OWC are optional, and way cool too. They are very large blunt hammers that force radical change. I love them too. They are OPTIONAL.

I have very little other than praise for the expansion.
    And the expansion is SO cheap in dollar terms.

Magic Geek on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Without getting into all that mess-Nurgle's quest is so painfully agonizing of a card to me as a player. There's only one in the deck so unless you start with it good chance you won't see it. If I do get it early I have to hold on to it until I have the proper unit placement out there that it's useful to play it. Playing it early on limits the number of figures you have out there far to drastically to be useful. The only thing it's really helping you is get your upgrade at the same time as everyone else, what else is Nurgle's dial helping him with in an average game.

PSN SeGaTai
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nurgle's Quest is essentially a 5 point card, as you're pretty much mandated to playing Creeping Death in an adjacent region to gain that extra tick. And to ensure that happens you need to have a commanding presence in that adjacent region already in place and it's rare to have Nurgle not being harassed by Khorne early.

I suppose one of the advantages of Nurgle's Quest is that it negates a Havoc play in the same region, since Nurgle's response will just be to play a Plaguebearer in the region in order to gain a dial tick off the battle phase corruption placement.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Magic Geek, post in black like everyone else.

You have absolutely no reason to be posting in red in this thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Magic Geek wrote: »
    The game is so utterly different compared to the base game, with so little change.

Agreed, just not sure I like it better.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • doldaridoldari Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Q : Strength in Numbers and Verminous Horde, when does this card effect apply??

1. When HR play this card.
    2. When HR summon one's figure.
    3. When anyone summon one's figure.

doldari on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'd say that for everything the expansion fixed, it broke half of something else. So an overall improvement?

Slaneesh and Horned Rat require luck with setup, card draws, and other players' actions totally outside of their own control. Meanwhile Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle MAKE their own luck. Slaneesh seems particularly boned; his entire gimmick revolves around creating high value regions to dominate, but with almost nothing to defend them with. Other gods simply say "Why thank you, Slaneesh, for concentrating those nobles and upgraded Keeper of Secrets. I think I will take them from you now."

The chaos card changes are all almost universal improvements (I still think Havoc is too strong. They should get rid of the magic symbol and make it not affect greater daemons). The upgrades are mostly improvements (bloodletter broken, no more boring 2 defense Slaneesh cultist, only 2 or 3 auto pick first upgrades rather than the original 4).

I actually like the expert OWCs. It makes the game a lot less scripted and let's face it the base OWCs are inconsequential. (My only beef is The Warrens Erupt is one massive blowjob to the Skaven player and at the same time he NEEDS it)

My biggest complaint with the expansion is that it seems they totally forgot to test out the changes' effects on victory points. With so much effort put into balancing out VP vs dial paths, it's like they totally forgot that dial victories are almost impossible now. You also don't get to play around with upgrades as much since games are over by turn 4 or 5. I think raising the VP requirement to 60-70 would result in more interesting games.

MrBody on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    doldari wrote: »
    Q : Strength in Numbers and Verminous Horde, when does this card effect apply??

1. When HR play this card.
    2. When HR summon one's figure.
    3. When anyone summon one's figure.

From the OP:
    Darian wrote:
    Strength in Numbers and Verminous Horde -- what is the trigger condition for these? Are they the same, or is there a difference between them?
    [FAQ - The same; the Horned Rat must have more figures than at least one opponent who is present in the region.
    My ruling - Following this to its logical conclusion, the cards will give no effect if only the horned rat is in the region. That seems odd to me, so as a house rule it will also trigger if only the rat has figures present.]

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, so I'll expand on that a bit and see if I can cover your question that way.

As for when the effect is applied, it depends on the card. Verminous Horde is applied during the summoning phase, when active. So while the Rat is the only one with followers in the region OR he outnumbers someone else present in the region it costs one additional PP when anyone else tries to play a card or summon a figure to the region. (As long as he outnumbers them before the figure is played, that figure costs more.) For example, Tzeentch playing a card in the region would cost one PP more, then he'd have to pay another one PP to summon an upgraded horror along with the card.

Strength in Numbers is an always-on ability that applies during battle; remember that figures are not removed until the end of battle in the region, so it doesn't matter who gets killed--if at the start of the battle the rat is alone in the region (base game v. Khorne's Blood Frenzy) or outnumbering at least one other power present then his figures all have +1 defense for the entire battle. (Exception--early hits in the base game are removed entirely from the board before regular dice are rolled, so after the early hits are applied you have to check again to see if Strength in Numbers is still in effect for the regular dice.)

Both of those cards apply only to the region they are played in; they aren't giving traits to the figures present the way Warp Shield or Soporific Musk do, where the figure could later be summoned away while maintaining the effect.

• doldaridoldari Registered User regular
    Thanks, Darian and MrBody.

edited April 2012
    What is Black & White and Red all over?

Played real world games last night.
    Before I talked about the above Nurgle card dissection.
    Immediately Choking Stench was mentioned as being a bad card by my friend. I defended it.
    Then, he got Nurgle.
    The first card he played was Choking Stench, and it worked. This did cause me much mirth.
    Then he played the second one later in the game, with a second card.

In the same game he got Ultimate Plague to work over THREE turns in Norsca (nobles made it worthwhile).

Magic Geek on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I think Ultimate Plague is likely going to win the game for Nurgle in Game 62, if only because Horned One's Due came out after he had played it in The Empire.

vRyue2p.png
    Darian wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, so I'll expand on that a bit and see if I can cover your question that way.

Based off the game I watched, he wanted to know if the trigger effect was locked in right away or if it turned on/off as the number of figures changed. There was an instance where the HR didn't have more figures when Strength in Numbers was played, but then he did by the end of the summon phase and start of battle phase. The question came up if his figures got +1 defense since he had more figures at the start of the battle phase, but not when he first played the card.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, I'm really just incredibly tired of this recurring theme that happens every time I play Khorne.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22868878#Comment_22868878

Only needed 2 tokens to double dial, only got one hit on six dice. 2, 2, 1, 5, 1, 2. Also got screwed out of 4VP and ended up wasting a 0-cost Lure of Battle (and a Terror.)

Edit: so instead of trying for a dial advantage/victory under the easiest Expert OWC to do so, I'll just take the Bloodletter upgrade and cheese my way to victory =/

Edit x2: Just for shits and giggles, I rolled 10 tests of 6 dice each to see what I'd get.

6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=6
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=4
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=4
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=8
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=5
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=3
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=5
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=1
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=4
    6d6.hitsopen(4,6)=1

Look at that madness; 6 hits, 4 hits, 4 hits, EIGHT hits... too funny.

Rius on
    edited April 2012
    Haven't you figured out by now that dice will never behave the way you want them to?

Darian on
    I have! Which makes my quest to get a Khorne win so goddamned frustrating :rotate:

You left out this part from last round:
    Rius wrote: »
    Estalia (4d6.hitsopen(4,6)=5) SILLY BLOODTHIRSTER YOU DID NOT SAVE ANYTHING FOR SECONDS
    Kill all the ratdudes and drop 3 corruption.

Wherein you got too many hits and knocked the rat off the board, negating his entire round.

Yeah, that part went really well! Much more well than needed and I felt pretty bad for the Rat, heh. Though I maintain it's his fault for all-inning so quickly right next to my figures.

I drop the Thirster on round 1 because of my terrible luck; couldn't afford the opportunity cost of moving him this round.

I feel your pain, Rius. I too am loathed by dice.

I find that my strategy in all games involves minimising the impact of randomness, as it never goes my way.

• StyyxStyyx Registered User regular
    Magic Geek wrote: »
    Which is why I just dont get this statement at all...
    See, I have the opposite opinion of Nurgle and think his cards are absolutely horrible compared to base game.
    After the above analysis...WHAT?

Nurgle's Quest in particular which, as designed, is nearly completely useless from a competitive standpoint in that it requires you to already have a board position in place in order to capitalize on it, and if you already have a board position in place...why aren't you reinforcing it as opposed to playing Nurgle's Quest?. Face it, no other play in their right mind is going to allow you to play Nurgle's Quest one round and then leave the slot open next round for you to play Filth, it's not going to happen.
    HUH?
    Can't I just play it, dominate The Empire, place 2 corruption and double advance?
    And then there are those other ways of placing corruption, not just Filth.
    Not to mention that compared to the only other 4 cost card, Lure of Battle, it doesn't get as nearly as much play. Lure of Battle is an actually useful card for Khorne to play and it comes with the bonus of not having to cost 2/3s of your PP allotment.

Um.. What?
    Lure of Battle cost 0 or sometimes 1. If you seriously think it costs FOUR, you have not played it recently. Lure is a good, interesting card, but Quest is WAY more interesting, creative and just better.
    Maybe if Nurgle's Quest cost 1 PP less for every point of Nurgle corruption in a region I could see it having more use, but Nurgle has incredibly high PP costs compared to other Gods on his cards
    Quest is a goal card, it is a dream and something to plan with and for. It does not need to be cheaper.

and is typically the most screwed by battle dice since he can only gain dial ticks in 4 regions, the 4 regions which are the most contested to begin with.
    Um.. What?
    Nurgle does not Tick in Only 4 areas.
    Fully 15 of Nurgles 24 new cards help him “tick” from outside those areas, or without pieces IN those areas. EG Nurgles Quest, Filth, Virulent Outbreak, Creeping Death & Festering Fever .
    See above for my take on those simple, blunt cards.
    I just disagree.
    So Virulent Death does not exist & Nurgle “can only gain dial ticks in 4 regions”.
    Um...What?

I used to think like you did.
    Then I played Nurgle Online and actually thought about Nurgle's cards.
    Online you get much more time to think about your plays.
    Online I learnt just how cool, creative and POWERFUL Nurgle's cards are, BUT, only if used while thinking. Nurgle Base deck cards just don't require that much thought.

The problem with the Nurgle changes is that they try to make him a viable contender for a dial advancement victory but since dial advancement victories are still largely impossible for Nurgle the changes feel like a large overall nerf to the god.

I'm also pretty sure that statistically, base Nurgle has a larger percentage of wins than expansion Nurgle.

Are the two related? Possibly.

edited April 2012
    [colour=Black] I am really not sure the expansion did try to make Nurgle dial a viable victory condition.
    But getting dial advancement bonuses does help win the game by VP.
    Getting to a second upgrade is now a distinct possibility.
    If Nurgle can get 5 advances by turn 3, Nurgle will have a second upgrade for turn 4, and maybe turn 5.
    That really does help.
    Good...

Infested Colony - When you dominate a region, place two corruption tokens in that region.
    Lepers - When your Lepers place at least one corruption token in a region during the corruption phase, you may place one additional corruption token in that region.

[colour=Black] maybe...
    Great Unclean One - For every figure you kill in the same region as a Great Unclean One, you may place one corruption token in that region.

[colour=Black]doubt it...
    Cavalcade of Decay - Any region containing five or more Cultists is considered Populous.
    Plaguebearers - When a Plaguebearer is killed during the battle phase, place one of your corruption tokens in that region.

[colour=Black]Those top two together can drop a LOT of bonus corruption.

I have seen Plaguebearers chosen a lot, but it doesn't seem to work.

I can see a time and place for Cavalcade of Decay with either of the top two. I haven't really seen it have any play. Trying to advance in 6 areas with 6 lepers seems OK. Especially with a few others being Polluted by Nurgie cards.
    As always, Nurgle needs a whole lot more thought using the expansion.

Magic Geek on
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I'm not sure why the Morrslieb plaguebearer upgrade seems to be chosen so often. Those are already one of the lowest priority targets for dice, and the upgrade just makes them that much less likely to be killed.

To me, Nurgle in the expansion has tools to compete for highest DAC to prevent others from winning on the dial, more so than any expectation of getting a dial victory of his own.

Darian on
    The Expert OWCs in Game 74 are... just about perfect for a Khorne dial victory. He's the only guy who has dial ticks that draw extra cards, somewhat negating the effect of Closing the Portal, and Call To Arms/The Light of Day are both so strong at slowing the game down.

All of which makes it even more frustrating I whiffed so much last round.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the Morrslieb plaguebearer upgrade seems to be chosen so often. Those are already one of the lowest priority targets for dice, and the upgrade just makes them that much less likely to be killed.

To me, Nurgle in the expansion has tools to compete for highest DAC to prevent others from winning on the dial, more so than any expectation of getting a dial victory of his own.

There aren't many dial wins to begin with so I don't see that as a sufficient advantage to change Nurgle play to start favouring his DAC abilities.

The plaguebearer upgrade I think is fine. It allows Nurgle to gain dial ticks without playing any cultists in a region. With Vengeance, Horrors, & Daemonette upgrades being either prominent or frequently enough in play, you'll see a lot of situations where you can just play your plaguebearers and force your opponents to kill you due to lack of targets. Still, Nurgle has 6 cultists, most of which need to be in play as much as possible and need to be resummoned frequently, so a separate source of corruption (occurring in a different phase even) is helpful.

Board composition will obviously determine whether it's better than the cultist upgrade, Infested Colony, or GUO upgrade.

Characters
    Infested Colony is flat out better than the Plaguebearer upgrade. With IC you still get corruption out of your cheap warriors dominating regions, every round instead of just when they're killed.

I just can't see any point to the PB upgrade over any of the others. Theoretically IC + PB could be useful as you spam nothing but warriors, but even then with so many battle dice you'd be better off with IC + GUO upgrades.

Other upgrades that will never be picked but it'd be interesting what anyone could do with them (also to see the icon artwork for them. No one's ever seen them!):

Khorne chaos card upgrade
    Seductress upgrade
    Lord of Change upgrade
    C of D upgrade

edited April 2012
    I don't know if Nurgle can rely on IC as much for guaranteed corruption when he's facing stiff competition from both the Rat and Slaanesh (ignoring Khorne's battle dice for the moment, or Tzeentch Disregarding Nurgle's point-generating cards) that goes domination strategy. That and Plaguebearers hold the potential for more than 2 corruption, combined with the fact that Nurgle goes 2nd in battle, so if he's got a ton of plaguebearers he can conceivably kill other cultists and force hits on his warriors.

I agree with those 4 listed upgrades though never seeing play. I don't understand any of them, really.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    There's really good synergy if the Nurgle player takes both the Plaguebearer and the GUO upgrade. If you go all out in an attack with both of these, your opponents will face a cruel choice of whether to kill your Plaguebearers which will drop corruption, or be devastated by 6 battle dice with each kill generating corruption. Of course Havoc can ruin all this... but it still seems like a potent strategy.

You can see the Lord of Change upgrade in game 62 right now. Wanted to ruin a region without risking Nurgle sneaking in for second place points, so I went with the Warpstone placement + battle dice.

Having Plaguebearers as an upgrade also sets up the very minor case of you being able to place Battle Phase corruption for Nurgle's Quest. Of course I still think Nurgle's Quest is a horrible card as designed, but might as well try and maximize it as much as possible while it still exists as is.

Characters
    You can see the Lord of Change upgrade in game 62 right now. Wanted to ruin a region without risking Nurgle sneaking in for second place points, so I went with the Warpstone placement + battle dice.

It's probably the most useful of that list. At least it does something, even if the opportunity cost is extremely high what with Disregard, Horrors, & Acolytes existing. I'm a bit sad it wasn't 2 warpstones but I guess that would have been a bit much.

Characters
    Expert OWC is fun: you set up all of these plans and the Old World goes, "Fuck you!" and suddenly you have a terrible board position.

Characters
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    The Expert OWCs in Game 74 are... just about perfect for a Khorne dial victory. He's the only guy who has dial ticks that draw extra cards, somewhat negating the effect of Closing the Portal, and Call To Arms/The Light of Day are both so strong at slowing the game down.

All of which makes it even more frustrating I whiffed so much last round.

Khorne will likely win game 67 on dial for this reason as well. I'd not played with the expert OWC before, but the cards we saw effectively killed the potency or chance to play cards, reduced figures on the board and increased region resistance. Both of my WTC as HR simply allowed me to replace my lost figures due to morrsleib eclipsed.

Someone once told me the expert OWC means you're fighting the board more than other players and I think I see why he told me that. It's a much different game.

• displaced quasardisplaced quasar WI, USARegistered User regular
    Game 69 will be over soon so I would like to sign up again please.

This discussion has been closed.