As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Not if you know the incident I was referencing.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Do please elaborate?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Obama's parents were killed in an alley by an Englishman*. On that day he swore to uphold justice by turning Britishness against the British themselves.

*because guns are illegal in the UK, rather than being shot, they were bludgeoned to death with a cricket bat.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Also, MITT ROMNEY IS SO FUCKING BAD AT THIS:
    "I'm not sure about these cookies," Mr. Romney said. "They came from the local 7-Eleven bakery or whatever."

Said of Bethel Bakery's cookies, basically a Pittsburgh institution, when he didn't even try the food.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-south/bethel-bakery-runs-cookiegate-special-after-romney-diss-631969/

Eh, it would be nice if politicians didn't have to try and pretend to like every food from some well known local establishment. I would hope that no one would take his cookie slight and factor it into their decision for president, but who am I kidding? This is 'Merica!

A lot of campaigning is BS. Being able to do that BS is actually not a bad test on how you'd do as President. Its highly stressful, you need to always be on your game and you need to be able to put together a highly competent and skilled staff (and manage them) to get shit done. Saying they were 7-11 cookies was an obvious gaffe. Its meaningless in itself but it does demonstrate a tendency to make mistakes and if done internationally it could be at least a headache diplomatically.

Even a fantastic campaign doesn't guarantee you won't make some boneheaded diplomatic mistakes. See also: Region-coded DVDs.

Then again, I still believe Obama hates the British.

o_O

Ah, this was a blunder with the first meeting between Obama and Gordon Brown. Brown gave Obama something made out of a ship that helped end the triangular trade and Obama gave Brown a basket of DVDs, the rumour being that they were Region 1 DVDs.

The idiot staff member responsible for this has since been let go.

Of course, this forgets the several incredibly successful meetings that have taken place between Obama and the UK since then. Like this one:
    Barack+Obama+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Banquet+Buckingham+WuVn9Jt81uRl.jpg

and this one
    Barack-Obama-David-Cameron.jpg

and this one
    article-0-0A381405000005DC-709_468x286.jpg

There was a worry that since Obama grandfather had been tortured by the British or something in KENYA that he'd hate the British now, or be unable to put his personal feelings aside for the good of the nation.

Which is bollocks.

I think he just hated Gordon Brown, and really, who can blame him?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Obama didn't pick out those DVDs. In fact, I'd bet that no head of state ever selects the presents they give out. The staff decides what to give and obtains it; the figurehead's job is to smile and hand it over. I doubt the President's dual role as head of state and head of government affects this.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Obama's parents were killed in an alley by an Englishman*. On that day he swore to uphold justice by turning Britishness against the British themselves.

*because guns are illegal in the UK, rather than being shot, they were bludgeoned to death with a cricket bat.

From that day forward Obama was known as the Cricket Bat Man.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I'll give Romney that for sure...both he and his wife have been incredibly successful over his campaign at demonstrating just how out of touch they are with the average american lifestyle. Like I have nothing against rich people in general, but his gaffs are as bad as George Wills' infamous "Denim Jeans are Ruining America" column.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Well, come on Dark_Side, Denim Jeans are ruining America.

Comfortable, casual Khakis. That's the true pant of freedom.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    With cargo pockets, for the carrying of essential stuffs.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    With cargo pockets, for the carrying of essential stuffs.

Like liberty.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Obama gave their kids model toys out of the WH giftshop on that trip, too... they brought his daughters hand-tailored dresses from Saville Row. Also, that image of him with the Queen? They got her birthday wrong by a week.

Anyhow. Trivial diplomacy blunders! My point was, as I said, even a fantastic campaign doesn't immunize you from them, and Carrot solidifies that point exceptionally well... Romney's opinion of cookies has no bearing on his diplomatic ability, any more than Obama's planet-healing rhetoric had any bearing on the embarrassing protocol missteps he had with the British early in his career.

It's my pet conspiracy theory. As conspiracy theories go, it's pretty tame!

• Options
    Didn't Obama also ship back the bust of Churchill from the White House?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Well, come on Dark_Side, Denim Jeans are ruining America.

Comfortable, casual Khakis. That's the true pant of freedom.

You should totally sell that slogan to Dockers.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Didn't Obama also ship back the bust of Churchill from the White House?

He did, in his first week I think. It was... well, it could only be read as an insult.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Obama gave their kids model toys out of the WH giftshop on that trip, too... they brought his daughters hand-tailored dresses from Saville Row. Also, that image of him with the Queen? They got her birthday wrong by a week.

Anyhow. Trivial diplomacy blunders! My point was, as I said, even a fantastic campaign doesn't immunize you from them, and Carrot solidifies that point exceptionally well... Romney's opinion of cookies has no bearing on his diplomatic ability, any more than Obama's planet-healing rhetoric had any bearing on the embarrassing protocol missteps he had with the British early in his career.

Here's the thing, though: Romney directly controls what he says, and Obama delegates gift selection to his staff. Romney dissing this bakery's cookies shows just how terrible he is at campaigning, and Obama's minor flubs on gifts are simply the result of somebody who works for him screwing up.

• Options

I actually agree with this sentiment, Romney's inability to say "thanks for the cookies" without adding "jerks" doesn't matter on an international stage.

The only thing it really points out is how bad he is at image control, which "I don't care about the very poor" "I enjoy firing people" and "corporations are people, my friend" does far better than this and that stupid cheesecakegate thing a couple months ago.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Here's the thing, though: Romney directly controls what he says, and Obama delegates gift selection to his staff. Romney dissing this bakery's cookies shows just how terrible he is at campaigning, and Obama's minor flubs on gifts are simply the result of somebody who works for him screwing up.

Perhaps, but I'm talking about PantsB trying to extrapolate that to being bad at diplomacy, which IMHO is a serious stretch at best.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Do please elaborate?

A few years ago Obama gave gifts to the visiting British PM that were a dvd (that only works in America) & a pen IIRC. There was a minor scandal in the media about it but no-one cared and everyone forgot about it because it's ridiculous.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Harry, that would've been a much more effective snide dismissal if we hadn't just spent half a page going over the actual facts and talking sensible word things about it, all of which you can see above.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The point isn't that he didn't like the cookies, the point isn't that he compared a local landmark to a chain of low-quality mass produced cookie-like food product, it's that he just doesn't care.

Seriously, he can't even be bothered to think about the people he wants to represent as President. He literally doesn't give a shit. Obama eating at a Five Guys is a photo-op, certainly, but at least he'll eat the damn burger. I don't know for sure if he cares, but at least he tries to pretend to do so. There are a bunch of big things and a million little things that impact the lives of every day Americans. Asking the President to have an in-depth understanding of all of them is vain and selfish and unreasonable. But the very least we can expect from our President is that, when presented with something that is important to people, he tries to a least fake interested.

I guess what I'm saying is; what he said doesn't bother me all that much, but he could at least have the decency to lie.

I would actually be happier with the opposite. I would rather have the president be honest and polite than end up placating everyone. Romney obviously wasn't polite.

For example, baseball is important to some people, but I don't expect the president to pretend like baseball is important to him just because some portion of the public likes it.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Harry, that would've been a much more effective snide dismissal if we hadn't just spent half a page going over the actual facts and talking sensible word things about it, all of which you can see above.

Yes, next time I'll be quicker. :twisted:

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    But it was such an easy blunder to avoid, noteworthy business gives you their product as a gift, you respond with a simple thank you. See with that set up their is no potential gaffe and once the camera's and public eye aren't on you, you can then proceed to make disparaging comments about said product in a quiet room before throwing it into the plasma generator that powers the car elevator you just installed.

Instead he decided to proceed with making a stupid comment about an item, in a manner, that makes it even easier to chalk him up as an out of touch, rich asshole. One would think that after 5 years, his programers would have had a flawless program that causes him to utter the words "Thank you for the gift human, it's making all my appreciation circuits fire up! I'll be sure to enjoy this in the privacy of my own dwelling but first I must complete all assigned tasks for the day."

• Options
    edited April 2012

Yes, next time I'll be quicker. :twisted:

:^: :-)

spool32 on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Hee, Paul Ryan.

The same Paul Ryan whom the Catholic Bishops are currently raking over the coals for his "fuck the poor" budget? Oh the irony.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    According to Boehner, those bishops aren't looking at the big picture.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    The point isn't that he didn't like the cookies, the point isn't that he compared a local landmark to a chain of low-quality mass produced cookie-like food product, it's that he just doesn't care.

Seriously, he can't even be bothered to think about the people he wants to represent as President. He literally doesn't give a shit. Obama eating at a Five Guys is a photo-op, certainly, but at least he'll eat the damn burger. I don't know for sure if he cares, but at least he tries to pretend to do so. There are a bunch of big things and a million little things that impact the lives of every day Americans. Asking the President to have an in-depth understanding of all of them is vain and selfish and unreasonable. But the very least we can expect from our President is that, when presented with something that is important to people, he tries to a least fake interested.

I guess what I'm saying is; what he said doesn't bother me all that much, but he could at least have the decency to lie.

I would actually be happier with the opposite. I would rather have the president be honest and polite than end up placating everyone. Romney obviously wasn't polite.

For example, baseball is important to some people, but I don't expect the president to pretend like baseball is important to him just because some portion of the public likes it.

There's a difference between pretending to follow baseball and being nice and thankful when someone gives you a gift basket of baseball related things.

But this whole tangent really isn't that important overall, so how's about we get onto something more substantial. Like the fact that there is no gender gap and women don't really care about "women's issues". Wait... what?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    According to Boehner, those bishops aren't looking at the big picture.

The big picture being "...No, seriously. Fuck the poor."

• Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm surprised you don't see more Republican support for abandoning the electoral college, because it seems that the GOP consistently maintains a slight edge in the popular vote as compared to the electoral vote. Based on my memory of recent elections, anyway, which could be way faulty.
    A cynic would tell you that abandoning the electoral college is a recipe for permanent Democratic government. I'd disagree, but it certainly would focus government attention on metro areas.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

Government attention should be focused on metro areas, because that's where most people fucking live.

Even if you did kill the electoral college, I feel like the rampant jerrymandering of district lines would ensure not much changes.
    It would ensure not much changes about the House, but the senate is a state level election and the presidency would effectively become a national level election.

The real question is how much having the election of the exec become a true national vote would actually change anything outside of election strategy, andy guess would be 'not much' since the composition o the actually policy making body (Congress) would not shift. I suppose if Dems did truly dominate the White House the court systems could get stuffed with sympathetic judges, and if
    Dems suddenly became competent messaging they might be able to shift the Overton window leftward with that much visibility.

Outside of like two elections, the President has also won the popular vote in addition to the electoral college, so I'm not sure it would change much. Remember, the states with the high EC counts have high populations as well.
    Four. Jackson/Adams/Clay/Crawford in 1834, Hayes/Tilden in 1876, Cleveland/Harrison in 1888, and Bush/Gore in 2000. Plus, there are at least a dozen where you could shift thousands of votes in key states and change the winner of the electoral vote without substantially affecting the popular vote.
    Do please elaborate?

A few years ago Obama gave gifts to the visiting British PM that were a dvd (that only works in America) & a pen IIRC. There was a minor scandal in the media about it but no-one cared and everyone forgot about it because it's ridiculous.

Well, on the other hand he's trying to marry both his girls into the British royal family, and all of his mistresses are "imported" from Europe, and he also enjoys the sport of fox hunting, if the "fox" is a real American.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I actually agree with this sentiment, Romney's inability to say "thanks for the cookies" without adding "jerks" doesn't matter on an international stage.

The only thing it really points out is how bad he is at image control, which "I don't care about the very poor" "I enjoy firing people" and "corporations are people, my friend" does far better than this and that stupid cheesecakegate thing a couple months ago.

If he had been smart when asked about the cookies he would have said, "Everything else was so great, I just didn't have any space left for dessert!". If he wanted to be blunt he would have said, "I just wasn't in the mood for a cookie today".

It doesn't matter that he thought the cookies were from 7-11, but it is BAD message management just like you say. You can't just go around saying things are crap, people don't want the president to tell them their cookies are crap without even trying one.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

There's a difference between pretending to follow baseball and being nice and thankful when someone gives you a gift basket of baseball related things.

But this whole tangent really isn't that important overall, so how's about we get onto something more substantial. Like the fact that there is no gender gap and women don't really care about "women's issues". Wait... what?

Yeah, it's mystifying that the republican party's response is to hand wave it away. I guess it shows how out of touch they are with reality because I'm pretty sure that's just going to drive away any women still on the face. Then again, they also painted themselves into a corner since some of the GOP's big selling points aren't exactly that great to women voters. I'd need to look through all the polls again but if we put the subject of abortion on the sidelines, along with birth control (WTF is this an issue GOP?) for now, IIRC war and fucking over the most vulnerable amongst us (women, children, elderly, sick and individuals with disabilities) don't sell well to most women voters.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »

Yeah, it's mystifying that the republican party's response is to hand wave it away. I guess it shows how out of touch they are with reality because I'm pretty sure that's just going to drive away any women still on the face. Then again, they also painted themselves into a corner since some of the GOP's big selling points aren't exactly that great to women voters. I'd need to look through all the polls again but if we put the subject of abortion on the sidelines, along with birth control (WTF is this an issue GOP?) for now, IIRC war and fucking over the most vulnerable amongst us (women, children, elderly, sick and individuals with disabilities) don't sell well to most women voters.

The only women I can see being cool with this are the Republican women. Do you know if any of this has dampened their enthusiasm with the party?

• Options
    Olympia Snowe has already had enough.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oh Lord. Romney's decided the proper response to the Seamus story is that in Dreams From My Father Obama writes about eating dog meat in Indonesia.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oh Lord. Romney's decided the proper response to the Seamus story is that in Dreams From My Father Obama writes about eating dog meat in Indonesia.

Obama: "That dog loved being eaten."

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

The only women I can see being cool with this are the Republican women. Do you know if any of this has dampened their enthusiasm with the party?

This is the stupidest article I've ever read. How can it possibly not be a bad thing for you if a randomly selected demographic full of all kinds of voters (women) prefers the other party over yours. How can you possibly not look at that and say, "what are we doing that these people don't like"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Man, you can practically spot a National Review writer a mile away these days. Their stuff is always so creepily...stepford wife-ish and void of anything bordering on critical thought; just rife with fallacies and political slights of hand. Sure Romney, listen to this guy, totally forget that recent Gallup poll showing women voters something like 20+ points in favor of Obama after the birth control debacle.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Any Game of Thrones fans? (pics with NSFW text)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Didn't he live there when he was 6 - 10?

Is Romney really trying to equate the deliberate, chosen actions of a grown man with those dictated to a child?

Yes, yes he is.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's mystifying that the republican party's response is to hand wave it away. ...snip....

Really? Just hand waving it away and saying it isn't a problem is easier for the GOP than trying to actually come up with policies that will get votes from women.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's mystifying that the republican party's response is to hand wave it away. ...snip....

Really? Just hand waving it away and saying it isn't a problem is easier for the GOP than trying to actually come up with policies that will get votes from women.

Plus they can mentally move on and forget about it. Which is why the Democrats need to bring it up conmstantly during the general IMO.

This discussion has been closed.