As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    Of course people test and do mathcrafting. And the folks who win tournaments do a lot more of it, because both are very effective methods. They make you win more games. But as far as I'm concerned, the only true way to see what really works in such complex systems is the meta, and 40k's meta is torturously slow. In games with more fluid metas, winners and losers can be easily determined at any given moment essentially.

I don't see the difference between the two statements, to be honest. They both work out to "this guy, who knows way more about 40k than me, based on the only metric we really have to determine such, says x." Would I trust a guy who'd tested his stuff more? Yes, of course. But still, I'd rather "expert " advice, where available.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Well I'm really not sure who you're arguing with then, because it isn't me.

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    I think the next time I play warhammer, I'm going to bring five honor guard with relic blades, and maybe one without. They are so badass.

Anon, I was really wondering where you were going with the kroot. Dark Eldar sounds like an excellent choice.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    saluksic wrote: »
    I think the next time I play warhammer, I'm going to bring five honor guard with relic blades, and maybe one without. They are so badass.

Anon, I was really wondering where you were going with the kroot. Dark Eldar sounds like an excellent choice.

We had a dude do a full relic blade honor guard in an apoc game. Everyone ignored them for "better units" and at the end of the game we realized they had carved through half of our line because we were wore out from fighting "better units".

Morale of the story - Apoc makes everything better.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Heh, someone mentioned on Warseer that as well as seeing some of the new Necrons like the Canoptek Wraith on the shelves at a GW distribution center, they also saw what looked like an Ork Fighta Bomba box.

• Options
    fuck fliers, epic 4 lyfe

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I really wish the flyers were confined to Epic. And I wish that characters were "with opponent's permission." Because we'd see them disappear again, and people would be forced to build their own lists.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SJ wrote: »
    fuck fliers, epic 4 lyfe

I've heard so many good things about epic but know nothing about it.

WHY SO GOOD? QUANTIFY!

• Options
    Epic allows you to field actual armies, with combined arms, flyers, artillery, elites, everything. It was awesome the few times I played it. I've always thought 40k should be more a skirmish game.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    You can download the rules and errything for free from GW's website, but let's just say that it captures the differences of the 40k armies much better than 40k can ever do. If you want to play a game where Space Marines are as individually bad-ass as they are in the fluff, Epic is that game. It also forgoes the 'IgoUgo' system in favor of alternating activations, and the ability to retain the initiative for your activations via initiative tests for your formations, and an awesome suppression system to show the effects of being fired upon by your units without actually taking casualties.

Plus, you get to use the full 40k arsenal: aerospace units, landers, orbital bombardments, Titans, etc, etc.

• Options
    I have to admit. It was the Titans that did it for me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    That sounds pretty fucking boss. Aren't the models all old and shitty though? Plus it's so itty bitty tiny! How am I to make interesting conversions?

• Options
    Seriously, you can have your entire space marine army be nothing but teleporting terminators and a few thunderhawks that drop off land raiders and marines after clearing the landing zone and then go into a holding pattern around the battlefield to take out targets of opportunity while your marines spread out to mercilessly kill shit.

• Options
    Why would you need to do conversions? Just buy more. You will likely need them all anyway.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    That sounds pretty fucking boss. Aren't the models all old and shitty though? Plus it's so itty bitty tiny! How am I to make interesting conversions?

Here http://onyxworkshop.wordpress.com/epic-armageddon/

• Options
    Why would you need to do conversions? Just buy more. You will likely need them all anyway.

I enjoy converting?
    SJ wrote: »
    Seriously, you can have your entire space marine army be nothing but teleporting terminators and a few thunderhawks that drop off land raiders and marines after clearing the landing zone and then go into a holding pattern around the battlefield to take out targets of opportunity while your marines spread out to mercilessly kill shit.

HMMMM. Interesting.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Ok, noob question:

Pinning. Basically a paper clip and tiny drill, right?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    Ok, noob question:

A LD test, which when failed, sends you to ground until the start of your next turn.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    All this Epic talk brings back my want for a 15mm Epic. Still small enough to have ginormous armies on a 6x4 table, but big enough to have fun painting them. It won't happen though, because GW have realised now people will by massive armies in 40k scale.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Ok, noob question:

A LD test, which when failed, sends you to ground until the start of your next turn.

Let me rephrase that:
    Pinning in regards to model building, essentially it only involves a hobby drill and paper clip piece correct?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I use brass rod, but yeah, same concept.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Pinning in regards to model building, essentially it only involves a hobby drill and paper clip piece correct?

Yup!

http://artofwar.shiftedmatrix.com/Pinning

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    So, cross posting from the art thread, I played with the textured paints a little bit, and here's what I got for some basing:

IMG_2444.jpg

The big rock is just a piece of cork, but all the rest is painted.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    You people are silly.

1. ToT, you didn't offend me. You are probably the #2 most abrasive personality around here... That's just who you are and that's your thing. No problem.
    2. Never did I say that the person I was referring to was a national champion. I said he was a national level tournament player. I was not using that as any sort of "dick measuring" as I wasn't attempting to drop names, I was merely telling you the type of person I was talking about, to infer his ability to create strong lists that he knew how to use to the fullest potential. I think all of the people that post in this thread that know me, know that I would never resort to being an "internet tough guy" about anything. That's all I need.
    3. Never did I say that I was blindly following information that he was giving me. Saying X was better because of Y, or This many things in this army can do these things. I was talking about a guy who I know, who I have played many times, who I have watched play games many times, and the things his army HAS done to me and others I know/have seen. I am fairly certain that Altmann has probably been wiped by this player once or twice before as well, though I cannot recall for certain at this time.

Anyways, Pointless discussion is pointless. Carry on.

@anon: You should use Ghost Arks and convert them to be Krooty as fuck for your raiders. That would be awesome, I think

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Hey, Nax, have you ever been a chaplain in anyone's army?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    saluksic wrote: »

I'm still waffling pretty hard about how to model certain things, but it's looking like this right now:

Haemoculus Ancient [Gamesday Kroot Shaper]
    -Flesh Gauntlet
    -Huskblade
    -Hexrifle
    -Crucible of Malediction

5x Kabalite Warriors [Standard Kroot]
    -Sybarite (Ghostplate, Splinter pistol, Power weapon)
    -Blaster
    -Venom (Splinter Cannon, Grisly Trophies, Night Shields)

5x Kabalite Warriors [Standard Kroot]
    -Sybarite (Ghostplate, Splinter pistol, Power weapon)
    -Blaster
    -Venom (Splinter Cannon, Grisly Trophies, Night Shields)

5x Scourges [Standard Kroot with DE Scourge feathered wings]
    -Solarite (Blast Pistol, Venom Blade)
    -2x Blaster

5x Scourges [Standard Kroot with DE Scourge feathered wings]
    -Solarite (Blast Pistol, Venom Blade)
    -2x Blaster

3x Reavers [Knarloc Riders]
    -Arena Champion (Power Weapon, Caltrops)
    -Blaster
    -Grav-Talon

Alternates I am thinking of:
    Wracks (Savage orc body/kroot head/heavily tattoo'd when painting)
    Trueborn (Lots of painted on tattoos/heavy use of bits webbing style bits)
    Incubi (Exotic weapons/heavy armor)

Blasters are represented by Meltaguns that have been chopped and attached to kroot rifle stocks, then jurry rigged together.
    Venoms are Storms that have all kroot crew, with Assault cannons on board for the cannon.
    Blast Pistols are probably plasma pistols...since melta pistols are a pain in the ass to convert properly.
    Sybarites are kroot with hunting spears and cloaks.

That's about as solid as it is right now. It's proving quite hard to get the kroot weapon arms to convert nicely. The fingers are fragile and they kits were not designed to really be messed with to much (odd joining angles and bad positioning of certain things).

Edit:
    Possible ideas I'm toying with for Raiders include Ravens and Valk's. I personally think that Valkyries are a better route due to the fact that they are imperial...but are lighter armored than the Raven, making it a better representation for a Raider.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Chaplain? Hmmm..... I'm a Sergeant... a techo-abomination thing... a Grand Marshal... an insane space wolf... a Dreadnaught... an assault marine... a sentinel pilot... I'm missing a couple here, I'm fairly certain... But I don't believe I am a Chaplain yet

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Then you shall also be a Nob for an Ork biker mob.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    oh shit I don't have a Nax in my army

...Nax is the raven my Rune Priest uses. When it crows, it goes, "Nax! Nax! Nax!"

Whew! Close one!

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Nax wrote: »
    You are probably the #2 most abrasive personality around here...

You wound me, sir!

RE: Epic - WHY AM NO TYRANIDS ON GW SITE? WUT?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Epic: Armageddon only had Marines, Orks and IG as official lists. Some supplements added Eldar and a variant IG list, but Chaos and other things like Tyranids were unfortunately left to other devices. So it can be kind of a bitch to find Epic 'nids minis :(. There's still stuff floating around from previous editions, and some of the tyranids 40k models can be used really easy as bio-titan conversions.

SJ on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    -Loki- wrote: »
    mugginns wrote: »
    I wish there was more of a Dark Eldar presence in our area. Neckbeards kinda skipped over that release and held onto IG, SW, BA, and GK.

I'd love to play Dark Eldar - I love their vehicles - but the whole S&M culture thing isn't really my bag.

You would be retiring your Tyranids if there were more Dark Eldar players. The Dark Eldar codex is like one big fuck you to Tyranids.
    So it is one of three? Fifth edition codexes that are big fuck yous to Tyranids, lol.

I played against BA tonight and won - we played 2250 for funsies. It was indeed a ton of fun. Lots of epic rolls. His terminators held a line against my dudes for what seemed like 4 hours of game time.

edit: Also I'd consider Epic if I could play Tyranids, but the only place to get them is on eBay and they're all from Britain so they cost $$$ and take forever to ship. Fuck that

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    @SJ: Woot!
    @Matrias: That is actually awesome :P
    @TraceofToxin: Tell me I'm wrong :)

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I wish there was more of a Dark Eldar presence in our area. Neckbeards kinda skipped over that release and held onto IG, SW, BA, and GK.

I'd love to play Dark Eldar - I love their vehicles - but the whole S&M culture thing isn't really my bag.

You would be retiring your Tyranids if there were more Dark Eldar players. The Dark Eldar codex is like one big fuck you to Tyranids.
    So it is one of three? Fifth edition codexes that are big fuck yous to Tyranids, lol.

Dark Eldar moreso. Regardless of Imperial Guards propensity for mech, and Wolf of the Wolf Wolf, everything in the Dark Eldar book is designed to give Tyranids a hard time. The only thing they have trouble against is hordes of smaller bugs, due to their guns (even bigger guns like Splinter Cannons) essentially becoming S3 against them and their melee units better at taking out MEQs. Even Tervigons don't help on the hrode front since it makes small units rather than large units, which is basically just handing the DE player a free pain token.

I was happy when my friend announced he'd be working on his Black Templars. I get to fight Marines ! Awesome! Not girly men who make monstrous creatures look like pussies.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So these days, is there a better place to order GW (primarily finecast) online in the US than the Warstore?

• Options
    RE Epic- Well so much for any interest in that.

@Nax - People just aren't cultured enough to appreciate me. Harumph.

• Options
    Eh, all you have to do is look up 'epic tyranids for sale' or some such. It's not hard to find.

• Options
    Ebay is typically full of Epic stuff. The main reason I don't like the Tyranid stuff is its mini-2nd edition Tyranids, which look pretty terrible.

Also, FW discontinued their Epic Tyranids, and I wanted some of them :(

• Options
    At least rippers can stand in for some stuff pretty easily if you do a minimum of conversion.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    You can literally google "Epic Tyranids for Sale" and get several sellers in the top results. It's not necessarily cheap (because its OOP), but it's available.

This discussion has been closed.