As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    He says not to expect 60fps, which doesn't mean we won't get to have a locked framerate at 30fps which will never dip.
    I don't think the game ever runs at 60fps on the consoles, does it?

Thing is, it's a PS3 game. With decent hardware a pc should be able to slap a PS3 title around at 60fps. If he's saying we shouldn't expect 60fps that means either a) internally capped fps or b) incredibly poor optimisation. Neither of which is a good thing.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I got to Anor two nights ago. I played last night and got stuck AT THOSE FUCKING ARCHERS! As if the having two of those flying demon lightning spear guys wasn't enough, but right after that is, in my opinion, the most frustrating segment of gameplay yet. Being a melee spec'd class with little to no range doesn't help at all.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm assuming that's the part I got past last night. run down through the bird demon ambush to the second pillar so you don't get shot while taking care of them. then sprint up to the safe zone, circle around it to the right and sprint up. try to lag a bit so you don't line up him shooting at you right when you get to the top. once you're up top, go right and roll when he shoots at you. don't fall off once melee starts.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I got to Anor two nights ago. I played last night and got stuck AT THOSE FUCKING ARCHERS! As if the having two of those flying demon lightning spear guys wasn't enough, but right after that is, in my opinion, the most frustrating segment of gameplay yet. Being a melee spec'd class with little to no range doesn't help at all.

A heavy class shield works wonders for this section. It doesn't take shit at all from those archers. If you don't have enough strength to single hand it, then dual wield the fucker. Keep it up as you head up the ledge and take a breather at that bit of cover on the way up. Then haul ass up the right hand side and just stick the shield in the guy on the right's face. He'll end up chucking himself off the ledge when he tries to attack you. You'll be protected by cover just barely from the left hand guy when you do this. If you're feeling brave, go do the same thing to the remaining dude to collect the swag over there.

Simple, safer than most other strategies, and as long as you've held onto a heavy shield of some sort it's free!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Poison arrows for the scaredy way.

Stand on the first bridge leading up to the archers, fire em over the fence so their own arrows don't hit you back.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    if i have a bks +5 in anor londo how long will it be before I find or can craft something worth replacing it?

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    if i have a bks +5 in anor londo how long will it be before I find or can craft something worth replacing it?

I've been saving my +5 claymore to make it lightning enchanted from the "big" blacksmith here.

I'll have to try those strategies when I get home from work.
    ....So many lost souls though >_<

KoopahTroopah on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

I've been saving my +5 claymore to make it lightning enchanted from the "big" blacksmith here.

The Claymore is for wussy Hollows. Real humans use the Zweihander.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited April 2012

Someone on stream told me to upgrade the Mail Breaker or whatever that fencer looking blade is called. It was immediately followed by "WORST ITEM EVER LOL!"

KoopahTroopah on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Someone on stream told me to upgrade the Mail Breaker or whatever that fencer looking blade is called. It was immediately followed by "WORST ITEM EVER LOL!"

The Zweihander is completely fucking boss. Sure I've had to sink a ridiculous amount of souls into strength so I can one hand it but holy shit. A +5 Fire Zweihander is an atom bomb when it hits

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    How did I miss this game? It looks amazing. Definitely going on my list of games to pick up as soon as possible.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You know what sucks? Having the bastard sword within the first hour of playing the game. I was at strength 9 and it requires 18. Fuck that.

the Sabre is amazing though.

in demon souls? I think I actually ended up in the same situation as you heh

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    It has begun...

Finally got this in the mail yesterday from Gamefly (could have really used it on Monday, what with the day off... blah). I played for a few hours but I'm definitely going to start over with a Pyro after watching that video in the OP. Meanwhile, the best is how I TOTALLY missed that stairway leading down from the first bonfire after the tutorial stage. Anyways... some great tips in that video. Man, four hours til I get out of here and can play for like 90 minutes before I have to go do laundry with the wife. Why did I wait so long to actually get this? I LOVED Demon's Souls, and this is everything I hoped it would be. Mass Effect 3 is gonna take a major back seat for a while. And I STILL haven't finished Skyrim. I have to say, the few hours of this that I've played is infinitely more satisfying than either Skyrim or Mass Effect 3.

Are there any other good early-game guides like the one in the OP? I'd like to know a tiny bit more about the game going into it.

edited April 2012
    early game stuff i can think of not mentioned in that video?

you can go into blighttown near where you got the dragon crest shield and get a set of armor (seaker set is the name i think) that'll help early and just run back out without fighting anyone in there. that may be a little harder without knowing exactly what path to take. I saw a vid of it before though if you search for early game guides on youtube. it's bright red armor so look for that in videos

you can also run all the way into the dragon valley past the undead dragon, cross the bridge and climb the nearby tower to get a ring (you'll jump to your death after that as 3-4 dragons will be sitting at the bottom of the ladder shooting lighting in your direction).

you can kill that first merchant you see for a really good katana although it's a tradeoff because he sells some really good stuff you should get first, as well as stock up on the cheapest arrows you can from him before doing that, if you even do that at all.

when you get to the tower of the first boss instead of going up and into the fog go through the door and down till you pull a really heavy armored knight then run him back up to the top. he's slow but if he hits you once you'll probably die. if you have trouble with him, go back to the previous bonfire, use a point of humanity to become human and summon one of the signs that are usually right outside that room and lead your helper back down to fight him with you. you'll probably have his ring equipped most of the rest of the game.

anything else is probably past early game but you can get really good stuff like the elite knight armor real easy if you know where to go.

initiatefailure on
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

it all depends on your stat distribution, black knight +5's have ridiculously good base damage so it can take a long time to actually find something that's more useful, i.e. something with better stat scaling, and then you have to be high enough level to have invested in your stats.

I did switch out my BKS+5 for greatsword of artorias +5 last night, though, because it scales with literally every offensive stat, it does bonus damage vs. undead and it's half again the length of the BKS with the same attack animations. along the same vein, if you're just tired of the animations for the BKS you can find any weapon and take it to fire/lightning + 5, it won't be that much of a downgrade assuming you're sub-SL100.

edit: it's really not a good idea to kill the first undead merchant, nobody else sells lloyd's talismans and there are multiple different katana-themed weapons/decent weapons to tide you over.

Torgairon on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I have a maxed out lightning zwei and it really is the vengeful fist of god when it hits something. The Claymore is basically the safe version of the Zwei. I use my Magic Claymore and a shield in one weapon set and my +29384 EatMyShit Zweihander as my other. Ranged combat is handled by smattering of magic.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Keep in mind that was a translated interview, and we're not even sure that's what he said. (Also I got banned in that thread for taking his side. Stay classy, NG staff.)

That was, in their defense, a terrible post.

"Oh no, paying customers are so entitled!" got old for me probably ~15 years ago. I can understand, from a technical standpoint, locking 30 FPS if you did crazy shit like tying physics or animations to it that made sense at the time, but not supporting my monitor's native resolution, which is a native 360 resolution too (1080p) with at least upscaling is simply ridiculous. This isn't 1990 anymore.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It was poorly worded, but it really kind of pissed me off to see people throwing nothing but hate at From like that. They're first-time PC devs, and a game as great as Dark Souls deserves more respect than that. Even if it's not optimized, I'm sure it'll still be a damn good game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, it was an insulting post. Maybe not worthy of banning but I can't blame them for doing so. Also, the fact that you said go play the PS3 version and not go play the PS3 or Xbox 360 version made it sound like it was trying to start a system flame war.

I do agree that complaining about a poor port months while they're still working on said port is rather silly though. Wait until the game actually comes out and see how it is first.

RainbowDespair on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Didn't really intend that, but I haven't played the 360 version, and I'd always recommend the platform From are more experienced with.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    You know what sucks? Having the bastard sword within the first hour of playing the game. I was at strength 9 and it requires 18. Fuck that.

the Sabre is amazing though.

Well, you're a hunter right? Just focus on Dex. Wield curved swords, katanas, and all that shit. Oh, and get the Lava Bow. It requires 20 Strength to use, but totally worth it.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Glad I have this saber then :D

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Glad I have this saber then :D

Define "saber". Like, a thrusting sword, or a curved sword?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Keep in mind that was a translated interview, and we're not even sure that's what he said. (Also I got banned in that thread for taking his side. Stay classy, NG staff.)

That was, in their defense, a terrible post.

"Oh no, paying customers are so entitled!" got old for me probably ~15 years ago. I can understand, from a technical standpoint, locking 30 FPS if you did crazy shit like tying physics or animations to it that made sense at the time, but not supporting my monitor's native resolution, which is a native 360 resolution too (1080p) with at least upscaling is simply ridiculous. This isn't 1990 anymore.

For me it was the "You'll just pirate it anyway" comment.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So I hear this game is pretty hard. I like hard games. I got a kick out of Super Meat Boy, enjoyed the crap out of I Wanna Be The Guy, and I won't even play the STALKER games if they aren't on Master.

Should I be really excited about this coming to PC? Because I think I should.

edited April 2012
    The game is really fun and pretty difficult - except for boss fights. They are all over the place in difficulty, such as the Capra demon (who is an absolute asshole) while others like the wolf both (sif?) are a complete walk over. If they were more consistent on this point I would have been a lot happier.

The other problem is pyromancy makes the game a joke: Don't get it if you want the game to be a hard fun challenge. Pyromancy is a really simple way out and far too powerful for its own good. Either way, you should be excited for this game: It's a unique and incredibly good fantasy RPG.

Aegeri on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So I hear this game is pretty hard. I like hard games. I got a kick out of Super Meat Boy, enjoyed the crap out of I Wanna Be The Guy, and I won't even play the STALKER games if they aren't on Master.

Should I be really excited about this coming to PC? Because I think I should.

Dark Souls really wasn't all that difficult.

It starts out pretty rough, but once you get some gear it gets a lot easier.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Well, I suppose I can live with a game not trying to break my spine at all times as long as it's a good RPG. I'll definitely keep that pyromancy thing in mind.

Any chance they'll balance that out for the PC version? I'd rather have something fun and useful instead of having to avoid it because it's too strong.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    Well, I suppose I can live with a game not trying to break my spine at all times as long as it's a good RPG. I'll definitely keep that pyromancy thing in mind.

Any chance they'll balance that out for the PC version? I'd rather have something fun and useful instead of having to avoid it because it's too strong.
    You can pretty much disregard everything Aegeri said other than the part about the game being unique and good. The difficulty of the bosses does vary, but it's mostly based on the way your character is built and your playstyle. For example, the Capra demon he mentioned as being really hard is trivial if you wear heavy armor and have a good shield, while another boss might depend much more on your ability to dodge, and wearing heavy armor could actually be detrimental in that case.

There's also nothing wrong with pyromancy. It's useful, but so are the other types of magic, and none of it is game breaking.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to agree with Aegeri here

Pyromancy is absolutely game breaking because it relies on literally nothing other than money for its potency, and once it's maxed out you'll be able to kill virtually every boss in the game in a few hits

edited April 2012
    Lork wrote: »

You can pretty much disregard everything Aegeri said other than the part about the game being unique and good. The difficulty of the bosses does vary, but it's mostly based on the way your character is built and your playstyle. For example, the Capra demon he mentioned as being really hard is trivial if you wear heavy armor and have a good shield, while another boss might depend much more on your ability to dodge, and wearing heavy armor could actually be detrimental in that case.

I was wearing heavy armor and had a shield, the capra demon is bullshit because of the incredibly narrow area, the camera wigging out and his two added minions (which can just ruin your day if you don't deal with them). Were you even posting in this thread on release? Half of all complaints about difficulty had to do with the Capra Demon - it's widely recognized as one of Dark Souls rare (and also unfairly rare) difficulty spikes. Another good example is the Anor Londo boss before a certain "Great chest".

Nothing you've said matches the reality of how the game was on release. Some bosses are widely regarded as a total joke by most, while others are regarded as being much harder. It's one of the games only weaknesses difficulty wise.
    There's also nothing wrong with pyromancy. It's useful, but so are the other types of magic, and none of it is game breaking.

IIRC, didn't the guy who beat Dark Souls in just over an hour abuse the hell out of Pyromancy? Pyromancy is absolutely game breaking and I can't believe anyone who has used it would disagree. It really is the "easy" mode of Dark Souls.

Edit: Unless they patched the game nerfing the shit out of Pyromancy and easing the difficulty on the Capra demon fight. Albeit I'll give you one thing: If you have Pyromancy that fight is *super* trivial. As is pretty much everything else.

Aegeri on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Eh, my Knight had no real problems with the Capra Demon. I died once, trying to do the cheesy "go up the stairs, drop down on his head" trick, then I decided to just block-tank him and what do you know, a push-over. As long as you kill his friends first he's not a problem at all.

Yeah, I failed doing that a lot because that is what 90% of the thread told me to do. It was only once I changed to a "Defend right at the door" strategy that I actually succeeded. It was still substantially harder than anything else in the game for me (and a lot of others) and entirely luck based (if I contacted with the first dog or not: If yes then it was much easier than if I didn't).

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Pyromancy is absolutely game breaking because it relies on literally nothing other than money for its potency, and once it's maxed out you'll be able to kill virtually every boss in the game in a few hits
    All magic relies on nothing other than money for its potency. The "advantage" of pyromancy is that investing in it doesn't raise your soul level, but you're still investing in it. Those souls would've otherwise went into stats.
    IIRC, didn't the guy who beat Dark Souls in just over an hour abuse the hell out of Pyromancy? Pyromancy is absolutely game breaking and I can't believe anyone who has used it would disagree. It really is the "easy" mode of Dark Souls.
    Pyromancy is only one of many things that the speedrun abuses, and is useful for things like that because the combustion spells have the best DPS out of anything you can use at low levels. This is of course only relevant if you're good enough to never get hit and know exactly which enemies to avoid and which to kill so you can have the right amount of casts to kill a boss in the least amount of time. Totally irrelevant to a normal human being playing the game for the first time.
    I was wearing heavy armor and had a shield, the capra demon is bullshit because of the incredibly narrow area, the camera wigging out and his two added minions (which can just ruin your day if you don't deal with them). Were you even posting in this thread on release? Half of all complaints about difficulty had to do with the Capra Demon - it's widely recognized as one of Dark Souls rare (and also unfairly rare) difficulty spikes. Another good example is the Anor Londo boss before a certain "Great chest".
    I didn't play this game on release, but when I did play it the thread was an example of exactly what I described. Some people were complaining about how hard it was, while others, either by chance or by paying attention, were able to build up enough poise to avoid being stunned by the dogs and upgrade their shield enough to block his attacks.

And yes, O&S are hard. So what? Isn't that what he wanted?

It sounds like you only played the game as a pyromancer and never seriously tried any of the other magic types. If anything you should be complaining about sorcery, because the soul arrow and soul spear spells are flat out better for PvE than any pyromancy spell.

Steam Profile: Lork
    edited April 2012
    Lork wrote: »
    If anything you should be complaining about sorcery, because the soul arrow and soul spear spells are flat out better for PvE than any pyromancy spell.

these were more or less my thoughts as I read, the same mechanisms that make pyromancy strong for bossfights and having a relatively easy time apply to sorcery with the only caveat being that sorc spells at least have an INT requirement that naturally takes away from other useful stats.

it's still not enough to condemn spellcasting runs, they're fun and unique even though my opinion happens to be that a primarly melee run is the "real" dark souls experience. regardless, mixing from all 3 trees is what makes each character and playthrough unique and as lork notes the first playthrough is still going to be fraught with deaths and copious rage no matter how stacked your spellbook is.

Torgairon on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, I failed doing that a lot because that is what 90% of the thread told me to do. It was only once I changed to a "Defend right at the door" strategy that I actually succeeded. It was still substantially harder than anything else in the game for me (and a lot of others) and entirely luck based (if I contacted with the first dog or not: If yes then it was much easier than if I didn't).
    I had a lot more trouble with the Bell Gargoyles myself. I must've died +10 times and had +10k souls just from killing shit up to them, only to die and try again.
    One Gargoyle, fine. Then the second one comes in and suddenly there's overlapping fields of fire and whoop, died again. The one that pissed me off the most was when I blocked an attack and the strike pushed me off the edge of the roof. I'm pretty sure I yelled "bullshit!" at the screen out loud.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I haven't played this yet (pc version get!), but I've watched 2 Dark Souls speedruns and that dude was destroying bosses with pyromancy. He makes the game look like a picnic. Can't wait to get my ass obliterated trying to emulate his godliness :P

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Glal wrote: »
    I had a lot more trouble with the Bell Gargoyles myself. I must've died +10 times and had +10k souls just from killing shit up to them, only to die and try again.
    One Gargoyle, fine. Then the second one comes in and suddenly there's overlapping fields of fire and whoop, died again. The one that pissed me off the most was when I blocked an attack and the strike pushed me off the edge of the roof. I'm pretty sure I yelled "bullshit!" at the screen out loud.

eventually I just said "fuck finesse" (I probably had the same amount of deaths), looked in my inventory for anything to possibly make a rushdown more effective and I just happened to have gold pine resin. man, does the first gargoyle die fast with a lightning weapon.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

Bell Gargoyles was when I first started blocking on bosses.

Before that I just thought "oh well obviously those strikes will be too hard hitting to block" and tried to dodge everything, which made the Taurus Demon pretty difficult.

Ah first time run throughs with no knowledge, so fun.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
This discussion has been closed.