As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skyward: Mastersword Details Disclosed: KILL ALL DEMONS

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    pfft fuck waiting for blondie

my Link's sleeping in Karane's room every night

your sig is hilarious with this post.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    one thing both TP and skyward sword do that I find really annoying

is having a main villain throughout the whole game, and then at the very end they get replaced by the REAL main villain

Zant in TP and Girahim in SS were both way more interesting than Ganondorf and Demise, and a big part of that had to do with how you were butting up against them throughout the entire game

They did a similar thing in link to the past, but the "fake" villain got thrown to the wayside after the third dungeon instead of right at the end.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    they really should have worked out some way to make Fi's constant assistance optional

like i'm fine with how the super guide works in mario games, because it is completely unintrusive. It's a little block or character set off to the side at the beginning of a level. Fi on the other hand constantly interrupts play to repeat things that have already been stated to make sure that players understand what they need to do

2012-01-021.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I think having some scenes with Zant/Girahim getting orders from some "Mysterious" person would have been better than them just running around doing their thing. Girahim was a little better in that regard.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yukira wrote: »
    I think having some scenes with Zant/Girahim getting orders from some "Mysterious" person would have been better than them just running around doing their thing. Girahim was a little better in that regard.

it was a step in the right direction

but the "3rd dungeon twist" should have been him successfully reviving Demise, and for the rest of the game Demise is the primary villain with Ghirahim being his number 2.

TP just shouldn't have had Ganon at all, or just make it like he died and Zant managed to take on his power or something

Speed Racer on
    Yeah. And that could have given them a chance to go into a bit more history.

• CampionCampion Registered User regular
    They really didn't do that with Skyward, we knew Demise was the big bad guy pretty quickly into the story. We knew that his form was sealed, so he must have another form. We are given all this information, guys.

Also, check it Priest, official timeline!
    timeline.jpg

4484-7718-8470
    It would have been nice if he had been around more than a stompy muppet.

Campion wrote: »
    They really didn't do that with Skyward, we knew Demise was the big bad guy pretty quickly into the story. We knew that his form was sealed, so he must have another form. We are given all this information, guys.

it kind of doesn't matter. Ghirahim is still the guy we're fighting against the whole game. Other than the fights at the sealed grounds (which no one likes and which don't tell us anything about Demise), Demise isn't a driving factor of the story. Reviving him is a macguffin. If he were just a big monster or something then that might have worked a bit better, but he's not.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Demise would have had more of an impact on me if he hadn't had extremely silly limbs.

The first trial I against him, when he revealed himself, had me fairly intimidated as he rose up form the pit...

...until the camera zoomed out and I saw his cartoonishly short legs and balloon toes. That changed things towards laughter pretty quickly.

Dys on
    Demise is the entire reason why a civilization is living in the sky, he is destruction incarnate and general of 1 million demons. The WHOLE POINT of the story is that you're trying to stop ONE DUDE from reviving him. He is literally the main plot of the story.

4484-7718-8470
    Yep, the stompy muppet turned him from intimidating to "What?" very fast. He was more imposing when released.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah the giant faceless monster demise went from scary to laughable the second those toes popped out. I get that he had to have a weak point but come on.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    honestly I'd say the little stump legs are just as bad as the toes

like form the waist up it looks like some kind of horrible sandworm monster

and from the waist down it looks like something out of a children's cartoon

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The art style was pretty different from Twilight Princess though
    I have to disagree with that point, Priest

Also Demise
    Is not Ganondorf

I know this is kinda splitting hairs here, but Ganondorf is an incarnation of Demise's hatred and his curse upon the world
    They're separate and distinct consciousnesses, as I understand

• PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    timeline.jpg

Oh, wow. Awesome dude. Many many thanks! Not sure where Nintendo puts up those sort of things for people to see, but that is amazing!

Grey Ghost wrote: »

Also Demise
    Is not Ganondorf

I know this is kinda splitting hairs here, but Ganondorf is an incarnation of Demise's hatred and his curse upon the world

I completely agree that the art styles were utterly different. But the Graphics, from a technical standpoint, were almost identical. I loved the Art Style, but the Graphics are about a 5/10 by Wii Standards. That stuff about Demise is pretty cool, and interesting, but unfortunately, because they don't make that clear so much in the game, it really has no effect on the end customer, which is a shame, because that would be a really intriguing plot point to bring up. (But you can't have too much exposition in a game anymore or else the producer's head 'splodes)

Priest on
    Priest wrote: »
    timeline.jpg

Oh, wow. Awesome dude. Many many thanks! Not sure where Nintendo puts up those sort of things for people to see, but that is amazing!

Also Demise
    Is not Ganondorf

I completely agree that the art styles were utterly different. But the Graphics, from a technical standpoint, were almost identical. I loved the Art Style, but the Graphics are about a 5/10 by Wii Standards. That stuff about Demise is pretty cool, and interesting, but unfortunately, because they don't make that clear so much in the game, it really has no effect on the end customer, which is a shame, because that would be a really intriguing plot point to bring up. (But you can't have too much exposition in a game anymore or else the producer's head 'splodes)

you mention that you didn't actually go through with the end boss fight

that plotpoint comes up after you beat him

On top of what Speed said, I can't remember when it's mentioned but it's said in plain something like "Demise has mastered time and he is not only known by that name."

4484-7718-8470
    On top of what Speed said, I can't remember when it's mentioned but it's said in plain something like "Demise has mastered time and he is not only known by that name."

Fi says that if you ask for hints during that fight.
    Look I was having trouble with the lightning part, I was hoping she had like one thing useful to say.

edited April 2012
    Ah. Interesting to note.

I just wish they hadn't demolished all momentum between the second to last fight and the last fight. "Hey. Uh. I'ma goin over here, come fight me. But, you totally have time to go do WHATEVER YOU WANT UNTIL THE END OF TIME because ya, there aren't any time limits on this. So. Come back. Please?"

Just ruined it for me, haven't fired up the game since. Don't get me wrong, it totally went into my Top 10 Games list, but that was the sore point for me, and the option to have Monsters go Crushinator on my Health and Shield in a secondary mode isn't enough motivation to get me to do the Demise fight.

Priest on
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    You are perfectly capable of going right into the next fight, you know. Demolished momentum, what? They basically made it so you can save between fights. Last I checked, that wasn't a bad thing.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So Priest's Link is the coward who chose not to face his destiny and ran back home like Demise predicted?

edited April 2012
    So Priest's Link is the coward who chose not to face his destiny and ran back home like Demise predicted?

Pretty much. My Dovhakin had work to do. Probably a good thing too, because since Ocarina of Time, my Link has always been named Bitch. Makes the conversations far, far more endearing. "Oh, Bitch!"

Priest on
    Yeah, I just saved and went to fight him.

4484-7718-8470
    I beat Girahim at about 2 in the morning and was super duper le-tired. So I went to bed and never found the motivation ever again to pick up the controller to finish what was already finished.

but the "3rd dungeon twist" should have been him successfully reviving Demise, and for the rest of the game Demise is the primary villain with Ghirahim being his number 2.

TP just shouldn't have had Ganon at all, or just make it like he died and Zant managed to take on his power or something

I actually liked Ganon's involvement, and the phases of fighting him at the end.

I just wish Zant hadn't immediately turned into a gibbering lunatic after Ganon became a thing.

I think I eventually took advantage of that extra time to go back and buy some potions, because it took me like a billion tries to beat Demise.

Goatmon wrote: »

I actually liked Ganon's involvement, and the phases of fighting him at the end.

I just wish Zant hadn't immediately turned into a gibbering lunatic after Ganon became a thing.

see and I liked that he was totally batshit loco

it gave him something more interesting than "generically evil wizard"

edited April 2012
    Hey, batshit loco is fine.

I just don't like it played to such ridiculous extremes, and having it come out of nowhere after being a very different character up to that point.

Goatmon on

yeah i can see that

i just liked the idea that the dude was just a total doofus and the whole badass shadow king deal was only an act

Demise:
    I guess what irked me in the end was that Girahim was a better character / foe than Demise/Ganon

Demise is the entire reason why a civilization is living in the sky, he is destruction incarnate and general of 1 million demons. The WHOLE POINT of the story is that you're trying to stop ONE DUDE from reviving him. He is literally the main plot of the story.

yes that's true

but demise gets no characterization until the last ten minutes

the Bad Things that demise does in the story happen thousands of years before the start of the game

as far as the story's concerned he is basically a force of nature

you wouldn't lose anything if, say, Ghirahim was the main antagonist and was just trying to unleash a mindless monster

or if ghirahim and demise was the same person and he was just trying to reacquire his evil power and he was doing like a parallel thing to you gaining the three fires

OR, have Demise show up halfway through and you have to get busy resealing him or killing him, like Ganon in LttP

either way, you'd be feeling like you're directly combating the main villain for the entire game, instead of having him slip in through the back door to for an end-boss fight

I am not bothered with Demise being a force of nature. It's in his name, right there.

4484-7718-8470
    I am not bothered with Demise being a force of nature. It's in his name, right there.

i don't either

i'm having a hard time getting this across because it's sort of slippery

but basically what I'm saying is that I want to feel like the "main villain" is someone that is actively antagonizing you throughout the story

you feel like you're constantly struggling against him, and then you defeat him in a climactic final battle

that's how ganondorf works in OoT and WW, and it's how Skull Kid/Majora work in MM

in SS the character that actively antagonizes you throughout the story and that you constantly struggle against is just a sidekick

the "main villain" is a guy who did a bunch of bad stuff a long time ago that you never actually see, and then he shows up at the end and taunts you to fight him

he does very little in the way of directly hurting you or putting challenges in your way

I guess The Imprisoned kidnaps Zelda at the start but she gets rescued basically immediately, before you even have a chance to make it to the surface.

You never really SEE Demise being a bad guy doing bad things, you only hear about it

Whereas you see Ghirahim being a bad guy doing bad things, and specifically doing bad things TO YOU, all throughout the game. Ghirahim is the source of the pressure to complete the quest, not Demise.

Ghirahim is the source of the pressure, but Demise is the pressure itself. Demise is basically a god, and you see the result of his destruction all around you. Like an old, terrible force. Like Lavos.

4484-7718-8470
    With Lavos though, you get to see the world before and after he fucks everything up

you don't get that with Demise

if the door of time hadn't been a huge let-down and you actually got to go into the past and see a thriving ancient hyrule, then my feelings about it might've been different

You get to see the past before it was destroyed a lot, Lanayru area was basically devoted to that. You also get to see the world after he fucks it up because you are living in it.

4484-7718-8470
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I still can't get over the fact that this whole time I saw ocarina -> majora's mask -> wind waker as an explicitly connected trilogy

and nobody else did

0BnD8l3.gif
    It made some sense! It's like "where's the hero to save Hyrule?? Oh he's in Termina, let's flood this bitch"

4484-7718-8470
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    how frustrating is the run for what I am assuming will be the hylian shield?