As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Man both of your comics can be cancelled

So you know how I feel about omac
    Maximum wrote: »
    As long as Frankenstein stays afloat I'm happy.

(It'll be cancelled very soon I'm afraid)

On the one hand, my two favorite New 52 books - Men of War and Blackhawks - have already been cancelled. On the other hand, my 3rd favorite book - Deathstroke - is being taken over by Liefeld. Not sure which is worse.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hensler wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Man both of your comics can be cancelled

So you know how I feel about omac
    Maximum wrote: »
    As long as Frankenstein stays afloat I'm happy.

(It'll be cancelled very soon I'm afraid)

On the one hand, my two favorite New 52 books - Men of War and Blackhawks - have already been cancelled. On the other hand, my 3rd favorite book - Deathstroke - is being taken over by Liefeld. Not sure which is worse.

There are worse fates than death...

Solar on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Frankenstein is great

But doomed.

I feel bad for you Captain Atom guys, too. I figure with August solicits, we'll hear some more bad news.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    guys why do people buy terrible comics like The Dark Knight instead of awesome comics like OMAC

Centipede Damascus on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    guys why do people buy terrible comics like The Dark Knight instead of awesome comics like OMAC

I buy Snyder's Batman so I only get good titles.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty important that everyone look at these pictures of the Avengers as dinosaurs:
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/18/avengers-dinosaurs/

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Chris Roberson done with DC comics. He's got a Fairest arc still in the pipeline that will probably be another Cinderella story, and iZombie. After that, it looks like he'll be doing creator owned stuff, as it seems like he's lumping DC and Marvel's treatment of creators the same.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Actually, he tweeted that after he finished his last iZombie script. So he just has the Fairest arc.

And he's been teasing that he's got creator-owned projects in the works for a while now. As he said on WRA, he became a novelist in his trek to write comics. So he's going to be around, just not under DC's (or Marvel's one presumes) banner. He's also moving from Austin to Portland(?).

I'm just pissed that I never realized before that I could be a comics journalist by writing articles about creators' twitter feeds. Stupid me.

EDIT: God-fucking-dammit. Idiots are criticizing him. Flat out, these people are the fucking problem.

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Good for him.

I mean, I doubt DC or Marvel really care, as he's pretty low on the totem pole, but it's nice to see a creator acting with integrity, rather than just paying lip service to it.

"He's also moving from Austin to Portland(?).

Judas.

Yeah, how dare he not want to live in a place that constantly keeps catching on fire.

These are pretty awesome.

d3JKh.jpg
    tL12V.jpg

I feel like we need some kind of art appreciation thread.

No one's stopping you, dude.

Anyway, Chris Roberson just tweeted this:
    Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I won't be writing a Fairest arc after all. It was decided my services were no longer required.

Is Fairest the first time someone other that Willingham will write a Fables book?

Matt Sturges co-wrote Jack of Fables, and Roberson did the two Cinderella minis.

So looks like the clock struck midnight on Roberson, wonder if they'll give the Cindy story to someone else. McManus is still drawing some Fables work, maybe just give it to Sturges.

Wait there's another Cinderella story coming out?

wirehead26 wrote: »
    Wait there's another Cinderella story coming out?

It was supposed to be the story Roberson was writing for Fairest, with McManus on art again. But since it looks like DC won't even publish that story anymore it's up in the air about the next Fairest arc. And it will have to be some kind of other story, because Phil Jiminez probably won't go more than 6 issues without needing a few months in between stories.

Oh OK, Cinderella showing up in Fairest, thought you meant her two already published miniseries.

Speaking of those I'm only up to volume 5 of the main series and would anything be spoiled if I read those to minis right now?

Yeah, don't read Cindy's minis until you finish the War and Peaces trade (#11 I think it is?). Then the second mini should be after the 13th volume.

I see Willingham tweeted the Fairest decision regarding Roberson being removed didn't involve him at all, and he'll work with Roberson anytime, anywhere. That's good to know.

Willingham seems like a guy who wouldn't take shit from anyone. Kinda wish he'd do some Icon work over at Marvel though just to see him do more stuff.

I wonder if Willingham could even do work at Marvel if he wanted to.

I can't think of a single openly republican creator at Marvel right now.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Kind of odd since the dynamic over at Marvel seems to the right and then at DC it seems to the left...is that just me?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Just you

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah that is very much just you

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Comics are traditionally pretty liberal

I know because I wrote ten thousand words on the subject

edited April 2012
    Hmm, the only openly right wing comic creators I can think of at the moment are Willingham, Chuck Dixon, Steve Ditko, and John Bryne.

Why do I think Robert Kirkman leans to the right? Has he stated anything in interviews?

wirehead26 on
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Hmmm, dunno. He handled the whole
    Eve having an abortion

thing pretty tastefully in Invincible.

Phil Hester and Todd Nauck to do ongoing Guarding the Globe series.

I'm liking Nauck's preview art a lot, and Hester's a pretty great writer, so I'm excited.

Guarding the Globe is still a dumb name, though.

That's a nice team to make me check out the book again, I think I quit reading it after issue #2 and the delays kicked in (bonus if Chris G comes back for the one page stories). I don't know why Nauck doesn't have a more constant stream of work from the big 2. I'm buying about as many Image comics these days as I am from DC or Marvel each, Stephenson's been doing a bang up job getting new talent and good concepts going again.

And I think Ethan Van Sciver is another openly conservative creator.

Speaking of Van Sciver:
    Van Sciver is fond of inserting hidden elements in some of his work, including the incorporation of the word "sex" onto almost every page of New X-Men #118

Holy shit.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I've really enjoyed Phil Hester's recent Top Cow stuff, and I thought the GtG mini-series was pretty great, so I'll be buying this - probably instead of Invincible. I really love the team they've put together, and it looks like Capes, Inc is still going to be part of the cast - I'm hoping for more Astounding Wolf-Man and Damien Darkblood appearances, too.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And I think Ethan Van Sciver is another openly conservative creator.

He is. Van Sciver is also an apologist for Joseph McCarthy. His political views are so extreme they alienated him from both Gail Simone's YABS and her Jinxworld forum.

Harry Dresden on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I just want to remind you guys that David Brothers is a darn good writer.

http://4thletter.net/2012/04/the-superhero-is-western-cultures-last-gasp-attempt-to-say-theres-a-future-for-us/
    Me and Morrison differ pretty drastically on the subject of the superhero. From my perspective as a dude who grew up on capes under the shadow of Reagan and later Bush, I don’t see much difference between, say, westerns, cape comics, crime movies, and those dystopias that Morrison thinks are a cynical depiction of the future.

There are a few things that I feel like are an integral part of American (pop?) culture. We prize the individual who chooses to go his own way, at least up to a point or within certain accepted standards. America is built on a mistrust of authority, whether we’re talking about the Revolutionary War or the pervasive paranoia that infested films noir. We prize violent solutions not because we are bloodthirsty, but because they are permanent, and there is safety in permanence. There’s a certain beauty and honor in being an outlaw, and while we dislike when outlaws enter our life, there’s a vicarious thrill in watching them work.

Man, I honestly cannot even stand David Brothers.

He is the most pessimistic dude in all of comicsblogdom (or at least of the comic bloggers that actually use detailed logic, social context, and other literary thinking in their works). Comics is the medium I turn to because I am pessimistic about absolutely everything else in my life, and capes are my escape. I fully adhere to the Morrison line of thought, because that is what has always appealed to be in the first place. These are selfless characters that go above and beyond to be the best of people, to sacrifice everything for everyone. Just like Morrison says, they are what we could be. They are the ultimate idealized fantasy of self actualization.

The western thing may hold true, particularly for the early pulp vigilantes like Batman, but I do not think it is accurate at all for Superman or anything from the Silver Age. It couldn't even be more obvious with the Silver Age; these are stories about utopian future science advancing people to meet their full potential by using their powers in living service to others.

edited April 2012
    I agree with Centi. Brothers is the only person writing about comics who I actually look forward to reading.

Present company excluded, of course. Love y'alls. Except TLB. Fuck that dude. ;)

Crimsondude on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    David Brothers just has a way of articulating things that really resonate with me. Even if I don't completely agree with what he's saying, though I usually do, he always presents a good read. Especially in the last couple of months.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I like a good deal of brothers' work and while he had points in that article I'm gonna have to disagree with his main point

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I agree with Centi. Brothers is the only person writing about comics who I actually look forward to reading.

Present company excluded, of course. Love y'alls. Except TLB. Fuck that dude. ;)

stop hitting on me

7656367.jpg
    You'll come around. They always do.*

*They never do.

This discussion has been closed.