As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legend of Grimrock] is out now!

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    I guess I just don't have the patience for it then. I tired for a good 15 minutes. I swear that getting to one of the arrows mean moving faster then is possible for your party.

What do you get for it anyway?

My laptop can't actually handle this game. I have to turn down everything to get anything approaching an acceptable framerate. That being said I still have timing issues with some things that on my main pc don't bother me at all. The puzzle your stuck on requires a great deal of near perfect movement that while possible do to on my laptop i wouldn't want to try. There is one other puzzle that that involves running around a room and hitting switches before the pits reopen underneath you that I know I could never do except at home.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    HP/Energy at level up is not effected by your vit/will. If you equip a +2 willpower item and are level 10, you will get +20 willpower as if you had +2 willpower your entire career.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    I guess I just don't have the patience for it then. I tired for a good 15 minutes. I swear that getting to one of the arrows mean moving faster then is possible for your party.

My laptop can't actually handle this game. I have to turn down everything to get anything approaching an acceptable framerate. That being said I still have timing issues with some things that on my main pc don't bother me at all. The puzzle your stuck on requires a great deal of near perfect movement that while possible do to on my laptop i wouldn't want to try. There is one other puzzle that that involves running around a room and hitting switches before the pits reopen underneath you that I know I could never do except at home.

It's sad, but true. I've tried getting through the switch puzzle for a good 10 minutes before lowering my resolution and details, which made the whole thing much easier.

I got the light ball blocking puzzle on my first try but I have good reflexes and I had a good framerate in that section.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    HP/Energy at level up is not effected by your vit/will. If you equip a +2 willpower item and are level 10, you will get +20 willpower as if you had +2 willpower your entire career.

This is not true.

HP/Energy gain at level up is calculated as a random 1-3 range + 1 for every two points above 10 for Vitality/Willpower respectively.

The only reason you would gain +20 energy on equipping an item is if that item had a +20 energy on it as well.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Kay I'm stuck.

Times and Tides

I've done this
    youtube.com/watch?v=jcqpnnpI414

but now all the loot I've thrown is stuck on the other side where I can't reach it in a big pile, do I have to start over?

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Kay I'm stuck.

Times and Tides

I've done this

but now all the loot I've thrown is stuck on the other side where I can't reach it in a big pile, do I have to start over?
    Stuck on the other side of what?

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Kay I'm stuck.

Times and Tides

I've done this

of the gate there, the first rock I threw just flopped onto the ground and now there's a huge pile of stuff I've thrown just stuck on the other side of the grate to the left of the timed switch.

• Options
    This is not true.

HP/Energy gain at level up is calculated as a random 1-3 range + 1 for every two points above 10 for Vitality/Willpower respectively.

The only reason you would gain +20 energy on equipping an item is if that item had a +20 energy on it as well.

You get the per level stats based on whatever your current willpower is, not what your willpower is when you level

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Kay I'm stuck.

Times and Tides

I've done this

of the gate there, the first rock I threw just flopped onto the ground and now there's a huge pile of stuff I've thrown just stuck on the other side of the grate to the left of the timed switch.

Oh right.
    Just weigh down the timed switch and stand in the teleporter when it flashes, it'll put you over there.

Edit: Er wait, did you successfully do what's in the video and get the pits closed yet?

Edited

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    This is not true.

You get the per level stats based on whatever your current willpower is, not what your willpower is when you level

No, you don't.

Have the Conjurer's Hat? It's +1 Protection, +2 Willpower. Look at your Energy with the hat off. Put the hat on, your Energy is still the same.

In my own example earlier where I was accidentally counting my level up items on, my character presently has 146 Energy at level 13 while naked. If I put the Orb of Radiance (+15 Energy, +2 Willpower) in my left hand, and Zhandul's Orb (+35 Energy, +5 Willpower) in my right hand, my Energy jumps to 196, which accounts for the +50 from the two orbs already. The Willpower bonus does nothing to my Energy.

• Options
    Kay I'm stuck.

Times and Tides

I've done this

Oh right.
    Just weigh down the timed switch and stand in the teleporter when it flashes, it'll put you over there.

That's not my problem though :(

Here's a SS
    grimrockbug.jpg

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    uhh

That shouldn't happen.
    when you stand on the switch the countdown starts, then you throw a rock straight forward into the teleporter which brings it out on the switch behind the gate that closes the pits so you can walk over them. I have no idea what you've managed to do there.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    So I take it that's a restart, gosh darnit.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    So I take it that's a restart, gosh darnit.

You need to use an actual missle weapon like a rock or throwing knife for that section. If you can find one just save the game before you try it again.

Edit*, you need to actually use an attack animation, you can't use the cursor toss to throw an item far enough. So make sure you equip said rock/knife/shuriken and use it.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Kay I'm stuck.

Times and Tides

I've done this

Oh right.

That's not my problem though :(

Here's a SS
    grimrockbug.jpg

Yeah sorry, I re-read it and thought I realized you meant that. You have to put a thrown weapon in one of your character's hands and right click to throw it that way (it goes farther than just clicking an item from your cursor in the upper part of the screen.) That's why they give you the throwing knives on the shelf right next to that puzzle.

In other news, special mode, hard/old school run is complete in 9 hours and 5 minutes! Ended up being level 14, which I figured on. Final notes and character stats:
    I ended up with 213 Health and 165 Energy in my standard setup of gear, which was basically the Chitin armor set, Shield of Valor, Sword of the Dismantler, Brace of Tirin (for the attack speed boost), Diviner's Cloak (basically for the energy regen boost) and whatever amulet, I used the Fire Torc at the end after I was done with the Spirit Mirror Amulet just because the final boss room's fire elementals.

As far as skills, 50 in Swords didn't leave much else, I kept the basic 8 in armor and 5 in axes, I ended up pumping Spellcraft to 12 (only needed 10 for Zhundal's Orb) since it was another +10 Energy. I had used the Fire Book for 3 in Fire and put another 3 of the remaining 5 floating points into fire to get the extra +10 Fire Resistance, the final 2 points went into Earth which allowed me to get up to Poison Bolt for really no other reason than the fact that putting them anywhere else didn't give anything.

The Thunderstruck trait is just ridiculous and it really made the last boss a cakewalk compared to my original playthrough, I was able to just sidestep around him in a 2 by 2 area just like most enemies and ripped him apart with the Dismantler. I also lucked out a bit in that there were no extra enemies around us at the time and since I took him out so fast, they didn't have time to get over to us really.

All in all, a pretty amazingly well done game, I certainly don't regret putting 40 hours into it. I am curious what sorts of things we'll start getting once the level editor comes out.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I noticed a couple cool things while playing (I'm only on level 3 or 4) and have some questions. I'll spoil them:
    I got locked in a tomb-like room and had to fight a bunch of skeletons. There was a pit I could trigger in the center, and made a few fall down there. During the fight the whole place started shaking like an earthquake. Was that just a timed/scripted event, or did I do something to trigger it?

Next, I found a note:
    that talked about having weird dreams, so I took a nap in the spot where I found the note and waited - that led to a weird dream sequence with some dialogue. Would that happen regardless, or did it get triggered because of the note/location?

Also, I'm stuck on a puzzle:
    There are two rotating teleporters with a open trap door pit in the middle of the room. There's a pressure plate that opens a gate, but it will teleport any objects you place on the plate. I thought I may need to throw something on the plate, rush back to the start and throw something through the open gate to make the trap door pit close.. but it didn't work. I tried jumping down the pits too to see if I'm missing something, but I didn't figure it out. If you want to give vague hints or whatever, I'd appreciate it. This is on floor 3 (I think) right after the first spiders.

• Options
    @ your puzzle
    you got the right idea just look around

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Logicow wrote: »

It's sad, but true. I've tried getting through the switch puzzle for a good 10 minutes before lowering my resolution and details, which made the whole thing much easier.

I got the light ball blocking puzzle on my first try but I have good reflexes and I had a good framerate in that section.

My frame rate is fine. My reflexes must suck.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    I noticed a couple cool things while playing (I'm only on level 3 or 4) and have some questions. I'll spoil them:
    I got locked in a tomb-like room and had to fight a bunch of skeletons. There was a pit I could trigger in the center, and made a few fall down there. During the fight the whole place started shaking like an earthquake. Was that just a timed/scripted event, or did I do something to trigger it?

Next, I found a note:
    that talked about having weird dreams, so I took a nap in the spot where I found the note and waited - that led to a weird dream sequence with some dialogue. Would that happen regardless, or did it get triggered because of the note/location?

Also, I'm stuck on a puzzle:
    There are two rotating teleporters with a open trap door pit in the middle of the room. There's a pressure plate that opens a gate, but it will teleport any objects you place on the plate. I thought I may need to throw something on the plate, rush back to the start and throw something through the open gate to make the trap door pit close.. but it didn't work. I tried jumping down the pits too to see if I'm missing something, but I didn't figure it out. If you want to give vague hints or whatever, I'd appreciate it. This is on floor 3 (I think) right after the first spiders.

Sp1) It will happen again, my guess is it is timed.
    Sp2) It will happen again, sleep more (when you think its safe).
    Sp3) Go into the "trap" follow the tp field and look left just before the pressure plate. I didn't notice it from the entrance either and was stuck on that one for a while, should be obvious to you once you get in and look around though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Personally, I just know I'm missing a lot of stuff. But I'm having a blast with this game.

A question:
    How does one get into the Vault of the Orb, in level 6?

Also, I've found a staircase that led to a door marked "Fighter's Challenge", with no way of opening it. Am I supposed to enter through elsewhere?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    This was just posted on their FB/site

Patch 1.1.4 Released
    Hi there, time for the first patch! The patch mainly fixes some bugs and improves compatibility on some more exotic systems, but we managed to slip in a few new features too. Fans of quick save/load should be pleased now and we also threw in volume sliders which has been a pretty popular request. But most importantly you can now import your favorite portraits into the game. Have fun with them!

The patch is save game compatible so no need to worry about losing your saves.

We have pushed the patch to Steam, GOG and our own store and it should be available once the distributors have done their magic, hopefully within 24 hours. Steam users will get the patch automatically, and if you bought the game from GOG or from us you can download the patched version of the game using the same way you obtained the original copy. But hold on a bit, it will take some time before the build gets updated on the servers

Here is the complete changelog:
    - vsync is enabled by default
    - borderless windows are no longer topmost
    - pressing ESC closes character sheet
    - fixed unlimited frost arrow exploit
    - improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch
    - fixed a couple of typos and broken english
    - removed check that disables high texture resolution setting when running low on video memory (some graphics drivers seem to report available video memory incorrectly)
    - quick save/load
    - volume sliders
    - to avoid confusion autosave & quicksave slots can’t be renamed anymore
    - adjusted gui layout and camera fov so that user interface elements do not overlap with important screen areas on non-widescreen displays
    - invert horizontal mouse option
    - camera bobbing option (only available by editing the config file manually)
    - configurable tooltip delay (only available by editing the config file manually)
    - frame rate limiter (set to 120fps but can be changed by editing the config file)
    - custom character portraits
    - bug fix: very long map marker notes without spaces in them causes the automap to crash
    - bug fix: editing a map marker that is on the same exact spot as a marker on the other map page edits them both at the same time
    - bug fix: map labels are sometimes drawn partially underneath map symbols
    - bug fix: topmost menu item doesn’t work reliably in high resolutions such as 2560×1440
    - bug fix: wall text translations are not dismissed when right-clicking
    - bug fix: inanimate objects can be backstabbed
    - bug fix: projectiles go through doors in some very rare cases
    - bug fix: saving the game crashes if all save game slots are full and the autosave slot is deleted or unused
    - bug fix: Fighter’s Challenge doesn’t open if there’s an item in front of the door (only applies to new games, existing save games still have this bug)
    - bug fix: saving the game just after the end fight creates a corrupted save that can lead to crashes and the end sequence not getting triggered correctly
    - bug fix: auto pickup doesn’t pick up the correct amount of ammo in some rare circumstances
    - bug fix: standing on stairs and turning with the mouse, followed by a turn using q/e keys is buggy
    - bug fix: when a monster is damaged, experience point text sometimes (very rarely) flash in a square where a monster has been killed
    - bug fix: trying to load a save game that has just been deleted manually from the file system (e.g. in Windows explorer) crashes the game

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    So on my drive in to work this morning I was listening to NPR and All Tech Considered segment came on toward the top of the hour. I hear on my radio "Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade" talk for 2 minutes or so about Legend of Grimrock, how neat the game and wax a little existential about escaping the daily, real-life grind to help these 4 prisoners survive this dungeon.

On my radio, on national public radio broadcasting! ... my mind boggled for a little while.

Just thought I would share this with you :)

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Looks like the patch is going through on Steam right now.

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Drascin wrote: »
    Personally, I just know I'm missing a lot of stuff. But I'm having a blast with this game.

A question:
    How does one get into the Vault of the Orb, in level 6?

Also, I've found a staircase that led to a door marked "Fighter's Challenge", with no way of opening it. Am I supposed to enter through elsewhere?
    The vault of the orb is a secret in a secret. The first part is a torch in sconce and the next is a rune inside. If you're asking how to open the door once you get in there,
    the portal won't transport a person but maybe it can transport an inanimate object?

I believe you have to find the Sword of Nex in order to get the fighter's challenge door to open... there's some controversy on that front but the sword is on that level. You also can't have anything laying in front of the door or it won't open

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So I finished the game this morning, missing only a handful of secrets (I'll be back for you, secrets) and thought I'd share some thoughts.

The Good
    - the game is incredibly fun. I really enjoyed my time with it and the hours zoomed by
    - the atmosphere is very immersively. Both the gorgeous graphics and the very well designed ambient noises really suck you in and instill a sense of loneliness and despair.
    - I loved the puzzles and there was a great variety from reflex tests to switch hunting (and proper usage) to riddles
    - did I mention it's gorgeous?
    - As everyone has said better than I can, Grimrock really strikes a great balance of old-school and modern design

The Bad
    -user dungeons and more dev (DLC?) dungeons aren't out yet (ok, not so much a Bad as the game is so good I want to play more)
    - the skill system needs some tweaking. Perks/abilities are so spread out that you really are limited in what you can try. I think the game could have stood to be a *little* more generous with the skill points
    -the final fight
    I honestly wasn't having fun with battle with The Borg Cube the Undying, particularly the second phase. There were just tooo many monsters around causing me to get caught up and instakilled a dozen times. I couldn't even run around picking then off because they seemed to respawn really quickly. Plus the fact that half my party was a Mace Warrior and an Ice Mage meant that half my team couldn't hurt the boss, since It was immune to ice.

I ended up doing a little damage then throwing myself down pits to avoid getting caught up which made the experience a grind. I think a few less pits and a few fewer monsters with a faster cube could have made for a more fun frantic experience.

Plus the Boss itself... ok it was a twist.., but a rolling box was just... anticlimactic

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    My largest complaint is that all of the combat devolves into circle strafing. Or hit, retreat as they start to swing, then run back in and hit.

Maybe that's just because i'm playing on hard?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    seabass wrote: »
    My largest complaint is that all of the combat devolves into circle strafing. Or hit, retreat as they start to swing, then run back in and hit.

Thats pretty much how it has to be when you don't have any portable reusable combat healing. I never played dungeon master but at least In eye of the beholder you generally had 1 or 2 characters that could heal pretty well.

• Options
    XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    seabass wrote: »

Nah, that's how to do it. Gives the game's combat that extra dimension.

Even though I have logged only three hours so far, I am really digging this game. It's well-crafted.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I.. don't recall the last boss being immune to ice.
    Also you can 'use' it to run over enemies to instagib them.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    What level is a crossbow on? I'm on 5 and have found a few stashes of bolts but no crossbow yet.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I found a crossbow in a treasure room, probably around floor 5 or 6. It's one of those '3 rooms 1 key' deals though, and I opted for the skill book instead.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The crossbow is first found on floor 4 through a secret entrance from floor 3. It involves an area with a bunch of slimes.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    That must be the room I have a map for! Although it's a long treck back from floor 12.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Endboss was sucky. But yeah, he's immune to ice.

That patch looks great!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Only important thing to me was that he wasn't immune to being rapidly smacked with a lightning sword.

• Options
    Goddamnit, unless it's behind that gold door I've no idea what you mean on three. Also now down to six and there's a shiny piece of armour taunting me from behind a grille still on five. I tell myself that maybe it's something I'll find alternate stairs up for, and it does fit with recent events, but I'm sure I'm fooling myself and I've missed something.

Oh well. Not like you need to find every secret right? Sob.

Just talking outloud really. Not asking for spoilers.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Fucking...cubes.

Okay so I'm kind of pissed off I have no save prior to the endgame and thus can never go back to look for everything I missed without just starting an entire new game.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Looked up what I had missed on three and I feel it was more than a little bullshit.
    1) Spontaneously opening walls behind you in previously cleared areas.

2) Said wall releasing a spider to roam the dungeon at random whilst carrying a key! That fucker took a lot of random searching to track down.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    regarding that
    It isn't so random. Both because its quite easy to hear when you trigger it, and because it triggers at the location of a note that says "there are all these spiders behind me!"

wbBv3fj.png