As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You realise you can make shakes with water right?

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Tried it. Gagged several times and decided I definitely need a different medium.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So... what flavor were you using? I'm using powdered milk mix now but mine in water tasted fine.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Same one I'm using now: Vitamin Shoppe's store-brand vanilla. It's been awhile (this was back in early 2010, when I first started using shakes), so maybe it isn't as bad as I remember it. Could also have been the additives I was putting in -- creatine + L-glutamine -- which I know from experience are really bitter on their own in water. In any event, the extra calories from the milk or almond milk help beef up the shakes.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I think the days of heavy bench presses are behind me.

My left shoulder hurts too much.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Yeah my shoulders have been protesting but with rest and stretching they stop

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Fuckyeah, got the interview for General Electric.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Fuckyeah, got the interview for General Electric.

Oh shit man! Grats. Hope you get the job! Then you can buy a car and a gym membership and get some real work done! =D

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I was going to attempt a summer cut but, man, setting new PR's is just too much fun.

Hit bench 230lbs x 1 and deadlift 378lbs x 1 (beltless!) this week. Yeahhhhhh buddy

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    I think overall I've lost about 10 lbs, a lot of that in the first week. Figuring the reason it isn't dropping as quick is because I'm building muscle, but I do seem to have dropped a pound or two more over the course of a week.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What's your diet looking like? At your size you should be dropping weight consistently week to week.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    From day to day I have a dinner of either chicken or fish, though sometimes shrimp along with steamed veggies and oftentimes a salad for a while later after dinner. Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower are usually what I have. Breakfast I go between either a breakfast sandwich I make from a multi-grain muffin, a slice of low-fat cheese, turkey sausage and some egg mix about 2 eggs worth. Lunch is usually a sandwich of some kind, turkey or chicken.

If you mean calorie/weight for the food I'd say the chicken and fish tend to be around 3-5 ounces, probably around the same for the veggies. I know that sandwich I make is under 300 calories.

Arthil on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Make sure you watch the calories, it's harder to eat too many calories of clean food but still not impossible. Otherwise though I wouldn't worry too much about week to week weight loss and just keep eating well and working out. There's pretty much one big shit's worth of difference between a 0 lb week and a 5 lb one.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Make sure you watch the calories, it's harder to eat too many calories of clean food but still not impossible. Otherwise though I wouldn't worry too much about week to week weight loss and just keep eating well and working out. There's pretty much one big shit's worth of difference between a 0 lb week and a 5 lb one.

All too true. Besides I'm still on sub-100 lb weights anyway. In terms of food I obviously have a 'cheat' day once a week or so, something like ordering a pizza or something like that. Even then I focus on good toppings.

It's a damn good thing I love chicken and fish.

Arthil on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One thing that helped me lose weight (went from 270 to 200 in about 9 months) was constantly snacking. I find bananas, bits of cheese, celery & PB to be amazing little things you can carry wherever. Try eating something every 2-3 hours.

e: Also, doing about 20-30m of cardio after lifting seemed to work miracles.

Spherick on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    As I mentioned I don't really do much in the way of snacking and I guess I probably should. Not like we don't got bananas, apples and oranges and such around here from time to time. Plus we got some wheat thins recently.

I know over the summer I'll be getting cardio worked in anyway, going walking with my family regularly. The weight lifting is meant to help me a bit so I wont be moving at a snails pace, which should happen, I don't run out of breath as easily anymore.

Oh! Walrus was right, waking up on an empty gut and having a good crap and I'm down to 361 instead of 364 yesterday.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Just wondering what's stopping you from walking now?

• Options
    Not much actually and I think I've got more than enough energy to add it onto the end of my lifting, or even do it between on my rest days. Got a handy dandy stopwatch and everything via the phone so I can know how long I go.

• Options
    You should definitely look into it! I got quite a bit leaner walking close to four miles 2 days a week to my weightlifting class last semester. I read somewhere you burn the same amount of calories walking a mile as you do jogging, you just finish faster jogging. Not sure how much I believe that cause of the effort involved in running but hey, walking doesn't hurt.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    From day to day I have a dinner of either chicken or fish, though sometimes shrimp along with steamed veggies and oftentimes a salad for a while later after dinner. Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower are usually what I have. Breakfast I go between either a breakfast sandwich I make from a multi-grain muffin, a slice of low-fat cheese, turkey sausage and some egg mix about 2 eggs worth. Lunch is usually a sandwich of some kind, turkey or chicken.

If you mean calorie/weight for the food I'd say the chicken and fish tend to be around 3-5 ounces, probably around the same for the veggies. I know that sandwich I make is under 300 calories.

How are you getting the calorie information for your breakfast sandwhich thing? Going off what I know, 2 whole eggs alone would be 200 calories, and I know "Muffins" regardless of whether of them being Multi-Grain or not can run up to 800 calories each. Not trying to scare you or anything, considering if what you just wrote is all you eat in a day then I'd say you weren't eating enough. If your getting the information off their packaging, make sure you know exactly what a "serving" is to them. In a lot of cases, it's much smaller than you think.

Those steamed veggies something you put together or are they the steamed bag kind you get in the grocery store (I love those things, so convenient)? If the latter, is it the plain kind or the "Italian Blend", because those bags with spices added have a lot more calories and sodium than the plain ones.

And you are using Protein Shakes too, right? What all goes into that?

And what time frame is that 10 pound drop in? A month? Not bad, and healthy weight loss. Two months? You are eating more than you think you are.

Anyway, I type all that because I came here to talk about food. I'm "Carb Cycling" and today and tomorrow I'm upping my Calories to maintenance, dropping fat down and upping carbs from 0 to as much as I can stuff myself with. I was planning replacing my Almond Butter in my Protein Shake tonight with a cup of Ice-Cream(about 50 calories more, but 40g carbs instead of 0 haha), and eating 1-2 large sweet potatoes with dinner tonight which would put me at 1800kcal for the day. And I was thinking.. that's still a couple hundred under my maintenance, which should be just under 2200(Yay sedentary job!). And I had this bright idea... What if. What if instead of a full cup of ice-cream (and lets be honest, likely more) I picked up a Cliff Bar and made my own Chipwhich with a half-cup of icecream(or less if that makes it a little messy to eat) for desert after dinner. Now the question is, do I buy two of those cliff bars and just subtract some Yams from dinner?

oh man I love Ice-cream.

Edit: And after working out the numbers. I can eat 2 of those bars, with .5cup ice-cream sandwiched between, and still eat 12oz of Yams and come in at 2200kcal for the day with a nice 40/30/30 split. Yeeeaaa

Buddies on
  • Options
    Got squats at 5 x 3 x 305 and deadlifts at 4x3x460. Currently trying to get all the poop outta my system before I lift. Running late. Story of my life

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    A friend at work forwarded me his recipe for protein bars he makes himself.

Put all dry ingredients together:
    5 scoops of Plain Oats (30g each scoop)
    8 scoops of whey protein (each scoop 50mml)
    100grams of nuts (I usually go with flaked almonds)

Add sticky ingredients:
    3 TBS Peanutbutter (I take the Organic version from the health shop, it’s a bit more liquidly than the normal peanut butter because it has less sugar)
    1 cup Almond milk (you can really use any low fat milk here, I go with almond for more protein and no lactose, no sugar etc.)
    2-3 TBS Honey

- > whisk all together and until it becomes a sticky dough. The stuff gets super sticky. (It can take a while until the dough gets the right texture and it sometimes feel that its too dry but keeping whisking and forming with your hands and it will become sticky – if not add more milk or water)
    - Take a baking tray and put the dough on a baking sheet and distribute evenly. Put in fridge for 20min and then cut into 8 pieces (or more)

That’s all you need. To make the super duper diet bar.

If you want the baked version just add 3-4 egg whites to your dough and put it into the oven for 15-20min.

What you can use to flavour it, add more healthy fats, proteins etc: (Keep in mind that based on any diet it might exceed your daily carb allowance)

1TBS coconut oil
    50grams chocolate chips
    1 Mashed banana (or dried fruits like raisins etc.)
    2 TBS Nutella
    1-2 TBS Sweetener

My bars turn into:
    350calories
    16gram fats
    28gram carbs (24 net carbs )
    27gram protein

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    hey now woah now

edit: TIME WARP

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    amaluramalur Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »

How are you getting the calorie information for your breakfast sandwhich thing? Going off what I know, 2 whole eggs alone would be 200 calories, and I know "Muffins" regardless of whether of them being Multi-Grain or not can run up to 800 calories each. Not trying to scare you or anything, considering if what you just wrote is all you eat in a day then I'd say you weren't eating enough. If your getting the information off their packaging, make sure you know exactly what a "serving" is to them. In a lot of cases, it's much smaller than you think.

Those steamed veggies something you put together or are they the steamed bag kind you get in the grocery store (I love those things, so convenient)? If the latter, is it the plain kind or the "Italian Blend", because those bags with spices added have a lot more calories and sodium than the plain ones.

And what time frame is that 10 pound drop in? A month? Not bad, and healthy weight loss. Two months? You are eating more than you think you are.

Anyway, I type all that because I came here to talk about food. I'm "Carb Cycling" and today and tomorrow I'm upping my Calories to maintenance, dropping fat down and upping carbs from 0 to as much as I can stuff myself with. I was planning replacing my Almond Butter in my Protein Shake tonight with a cup of Ice-Cream(about 50 calories more, but 40g carbs instead of 0 haha), and eating 1-2 large sweet potatoes with dinner tonight which would put me at 1800kcal for the day. And I was thinking.. that's still a couple hundred under my maintenance, which should be just under 2200(Yay sedentary job!). And I had this bright idea... What if. What if instead of a full cup of ice-cream (and lets be honest, likely more) I picked up a Cliff Bar and made my own Chipwhich with a half-cup of icecream(or less if that makes it a little messy to eat) for desert after dinner. Now the question is, do I buy two of those cliff bars and just subtract some Yams from dinner?

oh man I love Ice-cream.

Edit: And after working out the numbers. I can eat 2 of those bars, with .5cup ice-cream sandwiched between, and still eat 12oz of Yams and come in at 2200kcal for the day with a nice 40/30/30 split. Yeeeaaa

God you are a dumbass. English muffin not blueberry muffin. also shut the ever loving fuck up with the carb cycling. you sound like a real muppet

• Options
    hell of a third post

and out of those three he's already gotten 1 infraction

can he go for 2 ?!

Steam ID
  • Options
    amalur wrote: »

oh man I love Ice-cream.

God you are a dumbass. English muffin not blueberry muffin. also shut the ever loving fuck up with the carb cycling. you sound like a real muppet

8->

Oh you charmer you.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Shitty deadlift day. Failed to lockout on the third rep of 2 sets, dropped weight down for last set to 405 and blew it the fuck up.

Also the only complete set I did I let out a mighty roar on the last rep.

Need more rack pulls.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    I was still getting bad back pain at the gym last night and couldn't do heavy squats

So I kept the squat weight low so it didn hurt and just worked on going as deep as possible. Some very sore adductors today

Steam ID
  • Options
    It's too damn hot here.

I don't even want to go to the gym. I just want to sit in a tub filled with ice.

• Options

Even if he was a goose about it, yeah it's an english muffin. I mentioned 'egg mix', it's out of a little carton and 1/2 cup of it is worth 2 eggs but is only around 50 calories. The veggies are the latter and they are indeed awesome, plain of course but I actually like cauliflower and broccoli plain. My shakes would be around... 300 calories with the powdered milk I mix it with, which puts it still within 'skim' range. Mind you I have two cups worth, so it could really be about 220 calories.

The ten pound drop is within a month or so, yes. I've done my best to keep track of a lot of this, and it helps that my friend eats the same shit for dinner so I know how much I'm getting too. I'm eating at a deficit, definitely, but not too little like my room mates dad. He's eating only like 1200 calories a day, but I think he's eating to lower his blood sugar.

• Options
    ...and another day goes by. Not motivated. Feel fat and bloated. Over 100 degrees here...

• Options
    The medium eggs I buy list themselves as 60 calories per egg on the nutrition table. The grade-A large we used to buy were at most like 80 calories per.

But then, I wonder at what kind of real uniformity even Big Agg can get out of a given chicken.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I wish my university gym wasn't so crowded all the goddamn time. One day I'll have a sweet home gym.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    The medium eggs I buy list themselves as 60 calories per egg on the nutrition table. The grade-A large we used to buy were at most like 80 calories per.

But then, I wonder at what kind of real uniformity even Big Agg can get out of a given chicken.

Well this is just out of a carton, tastes the same as far as I can tell.

Slider wrote: »
    ...and another day goes by. Not motivated. Feel fat and bloated. Over 100 degrees here...

I'd rather it be hotter right now than FREEZINGFUCKOFFCOLDOMG, I'm gonna need to wear my sweats when I lift for next week I think.

Arthil on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I wish my university gym wasn't so crowded all the goddamn time. One day I'll have a sweet home gym.

I'm so happy my university has a decent gym.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Hey so got a question for you guys. I was out buying some more weight today and I found a trap bar and I've never seen anything like it, it's selling used at a local shop and thinking about picking it up.
    It's a Hampton trap bar, has the bits sticking off of it for loading, but here's the weird part, it has two handles that are kinda free, can spin them, and when you're ready to go you sort of pull them into place.
    It's the strangest thing, I've never seen a bar like it and can't find a pic online. Gonna keep searching but figured maybe you guys would know something about it.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Like a hex bar for deadlifts!? WANT

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I don't really understand deadlifting with a trap bar. It results in a more vertical back angle, but don't we want to train the back to hold isometrically against the load, and the increased torque is a good thing?

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Wow. Ok, that advice I received last week must have really helped because I managed to up my 5 rep close-grip bench sets this week by 10 pounds.

Either that or it was just a really good day.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Probably a bit of both. Weight improvements generally come not only thanks to getting physically stronger, but getting better / more efficient at performing the movements.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
This discussion has been closed.