As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Indie Game Bundle Notice & Discussion Thread [ NEW - Deep Space ]

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I am intrigued by Hack, Slash, Loot, and may just pick up the Royale bundle for that game alone.

That's pretty much why I got it, game looks cute as fuck.

Same. I came to ask about it. It looks fun. Anyone play it yet?

Nope, I still have no net at home. Might chuck the drm free version on a USB tomorrow if I remember.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    I gave it a quick try in the office and in typical roguelike fashion, died almost immediately. I'll give it a longer try tonight.

teriferin#1625
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is it made by the same guy that did Realm of the Mad God? I looked at his site and didnt see it mentioned but the sprites look identical.
    I'm pretty sure whoever originally made those sprites made them a public resource for other indie developers to use. I've seen them all over the place.

EDIT:
    I am intrigued by Hack, Slash, Loot, and may just pick up the Royale bundle for that game alone.

I was just trying it out for a bit, and I have to say that I don't get it. At all. You die in very few hits. The only means of restoring health is by finding very rare potions and scrolls which only occasionally grant health, and usually less than a single hit's worth when they do. Your accuracy is very poor. You have no spells or abilities. You have no inventory. You don't seem to have any tactical options at all. You see an enemy and you have no option except to slug it out with it straight-up, and eventually (i.e. often) you miss ten times in a row with a 60% hit chance, get slammed twice for 12 damage, and you're screwed. And there's no course of action you can take to make it not happen. I'm trying to find some way of playing it that turns it into more than a graphical random number generator, but I haven't managed it yet. Where's the appeal of a roguelike where player input has next to no influence on the outcome? Maybe there's some mechanic I'm missing.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Gamersgate's IndieFort Bundle is up; $6 minimum for these games:

Kenshi (Alpha)
    Cardinal Quest
    Black Market
    Wanderlust: Rebirth
    Devil Whiskey
    Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    fuck. Are these steam keys? Im watching the video and damn some of the games look really fun.

I'm just going to buy it. Cardinal Quest, Black Market, and Wanderlust all look great.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Watching the video for the IndieFort bundle, and I'm absolutely baffled. Seriously. Is the narrator from an alternate dimension, or have I completely lost my mind at my advanced age of 34? Cardinal Quest is like Gauntlet or (even more confusion) Golden Axe? Steel Storm is like Galaga?

• DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Cardinal Quest is like Gauntlet or (even more confusion) Golden Axe?
    Maybe if you mixed the two together and didn't know Roguelike is the proper genre. You can play the game on kongregate if you like.

gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    In case you didn't notice it yet, you can now create a Humble Bundle account here for an easy access to all your bundle purchases and keys.
    I see a login thing, but but no way to make a new account.

Frem wrote: »
    Catshade wrote: »
    In case you didn't notice it yet, you can now create a Humble Bundle account here for an easy access to all your bundle purchases and keys.
    I see a login thing, but but no way to make a new account.

It's still an unannounced feature, so looks like the HIB guys have closed it for new registration for the time being.

Must have had to purchase the last Android Bundle because thats when I got mine.

camo_sig2.png
    Must have had to purchase the last Android Bundle because thats when I got mine.

No, I have that. It was a limited test.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Is it made by the same guy that did Realm of the Mad God? I looked at his site and didnt see it mentioned but the sprites look identical.
    I'm pretty sure whoever originally made those sprites made them a public resource for other indie developers to use. I've seen them all over the place.

EDIT:

I was just trying it out for a bit, and I have to say that I don't get it. At all. You die in very few hits. The only means of restoring health is by finding very rare potions and scrolls which only occasionally grant health, and usually less than a single hit's worth when they do. Your accuracy is very poor. You have no spells or abilities. You have no inventory. You don't seem to have any tactical options at all. You see an enemy and you have no option except to slug it out with it straight-up, and eventually (i.e. often) you miss ten times in a row with a 60% hit chance, get slammed twice for 12 damage, and you're screwed. And there's no course of action you can take to make it not happen. I'm trying to find some way of playing it that turns it into more than a graphical random number generator, but I haven't managed it yet. Where's the appeal of a roguelike where player input has next to no influence on the outcome? Maybe there's some mechanic I'm missing.

Try starting out with The Tomb of the Boy King. Different scenarios seem to have a different level of difficulty attached and they aren't listed in order of difficulty. Loot the chests and kill the loose mobs before you start to desecrate the tombs. It's a pretty manageable scenario, and you get a nice piece of gear that unlocks across every class. You'll have it at the start of every scenario with every character afterwards. Then you can take on some of the stiffer challenges, which I imagine have their own rewards.

Also you unlock new character classes after a victory or after a certain amount of deaths.

Now, on to what I love about this game. The interface is awesome. You have all your classic roguelike controls intact. So you can numpad your way all around if that's your thing. If that's not your thing then you can point and click your way to agony or glory to your hearts content. The minimap is clickable too, which is great. The real meat of this game though is the loot, and the decisions you make and the emergence that the loot brings to the game. See, not only can you use loot. Just about everyone else in the scenario can too. So in a scenario like Stormkeep, which is full of allied NPC serfs and guards, they will pick up and use anything you leave behind. It's pretty cool when you get a small army of well equipped soldiers and serfs at your back. Until a demon posseses that well equipped soldier. Then you have a well equipped demon to deal with. Monsters that are disposed to using gear will also loot, use and equip stuff. When I was just playing a goblin I riddled with arrows dropped his fancy quarterstaff. The goblin behind him stopped and scooped it up on his way towards me. Still didn't save him from being riddled with arrows though. The lack of an inventory means that you can only carry what you have equipped, so this brings in a lot of strategy to how you equip your character and what you may or may not want to leave lying around.

If you like stuff like Desktop Dungeons chances are you will find a lot to like here. Personally I like this more than Desktop Dungeons. It's less puzzly, and more... well, hack slash and looty.

Drake on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    Drake has hit on everything that I love about HSL. I've been playing it for 8 hours since release yesterday, and it just keeps getting better as you progress and unlock classes.

The one thing I wanted to add is that those sprites seem familiar because David Williamson who developed HSL originally created them. He released them in a free for non-commercial use pack, and they have wound up in quite a few other games like Realm of the Mad God that was developed by a friend of his.

• Rock HolidayRock Holiday Registered User regular
    I am adoring HSL, and I don't usually take much of a shine to games that seem to enjoy punishing me. I love the graphics style, I like not being able to hoard everything I come across so that I can be a master of all seasons. Yeah it kinda sucks when the game decides to put me up against 6 demons or something behind the first door I open, but that's just how it rolls the dice. I've had other runs where I've smashed everything in my path with no problem until the second floor. Private armies of friendlies are nice, but you do run the risk of having them turned against you. I like that.

My only real complaint would be the occasions when both you and your foe miss like 9 times in a row. Can get a little tedious. But come on. This thing was made by ONE GUY. This thing is the fucking tits for that. Let's not forget the price either. 4 something on its own on sale, 6 something full price, or like 5 bucks total for the indieroyale where you get a few other games. That amounts to what, about a buck for the game? Even at full price, I find this well worth it. I'm a super tight budget gamer, where if anything is more than 2 or 5 dollars I have to think hard on it, and I adore this thing. I'm glad I found out about it in time to get the bundle.

If you go into this expecting this serious RPG of strategery then you're gonna get upset and frustrated. Just go in for a little light fun and you should have a pretty good time. I've had plenty of "Welp, I'm screwed" moments where I just laughed, charged in and went down like a MAN. It just means I get to play another go with a new dungeon generated for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    @Drake has indeed hit upon everything great about HSL. It's the most roguelike roguelike available on Steam. More brutal than Dungeons of Dredmor, and just as compulsive. It's reminiscient of Brogue in how it treats the player, although not quite as tough. You shouldn't go into this expecting it to be forgiving, because it won't be.

It is however, a fantastic Roguelike, and one of my favourite games lately, seeing as how I've played 4 hours in 2 days. It's very fun, very fluid and a good game all around. All the fucking idiots on the official forums can go die, because God damn, is this game fun and addictive.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I haz Boy King Mask and can confirm - Hack, Slash, Loot is a good time (dying), highly recommended if you like rogue-likes, especially say if you like Brogue, because just like that you can just use your mouse if you want.

steam_sig.png
    Groupee's BeMine 2 bundle is up; about 14 days remaining. Extra indie music, comic, movie, and DLCs (for Beat Hazard, The Baconing, and Madballs) will be provided when the bundle achieves certain milestones.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Indie Royale guys just tweeted they're not going to be doing preorders anymore.

Also Be Mine 2 guys announced the 50k milestone is the game Scratches. Doesn't look like we'll be getting that.

I think the loss of the preorder is a major downer for me. I loved the couple of days of speculation.

camo_sig2.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    http://vidjahgames.com/iupbundle/
    2 days left on the Indie Underdog Pack Bundle.
    Here's a preview video of Koya Rift, probably the most 'known' title of the bunch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGd3585VsQ0

I have Koya Rift on Desura from the last time it was on sale. It's a pretty neato action game.

• SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Indie Royale guys just tweeted they're not going to be doing preorders anymore.

Also Be Mine 2 guys announced the 50k milestone is the game Scratches. Doesn't look like we'll be getting that.

Not sure why they stopped the preorders - loss of money? Why not just bring up the preorder price anyway? Preorder certainly smoothed out the the initial load spike on the servers, which was why I thought they offered it anyway.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    @IndieGala wrote:
    Subscribe on our website to know when #indiegalaIV starts before everyone else!

So IG should be underwhelming us with meh games pretty soon!

And @Corpekata let the steam thread know that the new HiB was found in the registry, so it should be coming soon.

Edit: and on queue, Bundle in a Box reports in (But I'll believe this shit when I see it)
    Expect some exciting news withing the next few days!

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Indie Royale is up

Unstoppable Gorg for: steam (pc and mac), windows, desura
    Depths of Peril for: steam (pc and mac), windows, mac, desura
    Tobe's Vertical Adventure for: steam (pc)
    Inferno+ for: windows, mac, desura
    Slydris for: windows, mac, desura
    Ballistic for: windows, mac, desura

I think I'll pass on this one

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
    I think indie royale is the only bundle brand that I will buy just because. I think they do a great job and even if the bundle is middling, like this one, I will still support. Only thing that is keeping them from being the top bundle is a lack of user accounts, imo.

That said Tobe's looks great (I own it from the christmas sale but still haven't tried it out). Inferno+ and Slydris both look awesome as well.

camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Depths of Peril and Gorg are great btw.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    looking at the videos all the games seem pretty cool but Tobe's is probably the only game I'd want, I have enough twin stick shooters to be playing at the moment

steam_sig.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Gorg & Tobe's are both okay. Radiangames makes really good games so 3 of his games in the bundle alone make it worthwhile IMO.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Indie Royale looks pretty good this time around, especially as the three Steam games together cost 25 bucks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    New Humble Bundle is out. http://www.humblebundle.com/
    Botanicula
    Samorost 2
    Machinarium
    pay more than the average:
    Kooky (film)
    Windosill

Note: you have to pay at least $5 to receive the Steam key.
    The first three games also include soundtracks.

camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2012
    Pretty terrible if you have any interest in bundles, not to mention that two of the three bases have appeared in other humbles.

Put in five to get Botanicula and sent none of that towards the tip. Heres hoping the next big numbered bundle blows my shit away or else HiB will be competing with indie gala for worst recurring bundle.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not so much a bundle (who here doesn't already own Samorost 2 & Machinarium?) as it is a chance to buy Botanicula.

• TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    I'd just like to note that Depths of Peril is incredibly addictive. The faction dynamic really adds to the standard diabloesque formula.

teriferin#1625
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the $8.70 minimum is because they raised the Steam key threshold to $5?

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This isn't a "real" indie bundle. It's a Botanicula launch bundle with 2 other games from the same developer.
    Funny thing is Botanicula was available for pre-order on gog.com for $10 and now you can get it for $5 and still get 2 more games and 3 soundtracks on top of it. People are raging as it is... just imagine if they didn't have the $5 minimum for keys.

If you are curious about the game, here's the usual TotalBiscuit's WTF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIz87oIKN0

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2012
    So, Inferno+ is really good. So good. The Indie Royale bundle is worth it just for Inferno+. The first time I played it I thought it was slightly slow and boring. The next time I played it, I mashed my way through the menu and realized that the "New game" menu item at the very top erases your old game, just like the warning dialog foretold.

Aghast at getting set back to level 1, I decided to catch up to where I had been quickly and started playing really aggressively; charging headlong into the fray. To my surprise, Inferno+ suddenly became awesome. My cautious play style had hindered my enjoyment of the epic battles. This isn't gears of war. Sure, I lost health. But they lost more! Glowy citadels threw all their men at my approach, and fell to my circle strafe. After the first boss this style of play becomes almost mandatory; levels tightly packed with spawners become a race against entropy.

Protip, upgrade your weapon power asap. Everything else is useful too, but without that first power upgrade, it's going to be really hard to kill things coming out of the spawners quick enough.

Edit: What is slightly disappointing is that the console version apparently had local coop, but it was removed to make balancing the game easier. Which is sad; I would have used it. But it's still a great game.

Frem on
    And I will throw out there after a bit of playing: If you liked any of Amanita's other games, you'll like Botanicula. I still think Mechanarium is the best, but we will see how Botanicula turns out.

camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2012
    I just want to say Frem is correct. Inferno+ is way more compelling than I thought it would be. Ballistic isn't too shabby either. And by isn't too shabby I mean have I really been chasing my score for over an hour? I haven't tried Slydris yet though, but if it follows suit then I'm sure I'll find it compulsively playable too.

Edit: Just started the New Game+ mode. Are you a bad enough Inferno to Inferno+? It really steps it up.

Drake on
  • AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    This isn't a "real" indie bundle. It's a Botanicula launch bundle with 2 other games from the same developer.
    Funny thing is Botanicula was available for pre-order on gog.com for $10 and now you can get it for $5 and still get 2 more games and 3 soundtracks on top of it. People are raging as it is... just imagine if they didn't have the $5 minimum for keys.

If you are curious about the game, here's the usual TotalBiscuit's WTF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIz87oIKN0
    Amanita did add in the Botanicula soundtrack and an art book for people who preordered on GOG, while GOG also stepped it up by throwing Witcher in for free. Dunno, kind of a silly back and forth, people raging about a few dollars' difference.

Botanicula is super adorable either way. So far there's not much on the puzzle end of things, just lots of smiling on my end.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Just a heads up on the latest Royale Bundle. Tobe's Vertical Adventure is listed as Steam-only, but that doesn't seem to be the case. When I activated my Desura key for this bundle it added Tobe's VA to my Desura library. I wish I'd known because I'd already activated the Steam Key, and I'd have rather gifted it than having duplicate titles in my Desura and Steam library. Keep that in mind if you are a fellow Desura user and you buy this bundle.

Drake on