As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Referral Links

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
I decided to make this thread after discussion that went on in the G&T play-asia 20% off sale thread.

as far as I understand it, the rule preventing referal links is there to protect the forum from spam posts/threads, but I think that it would be beneficial to allow people to post referal links as long as they meet these conditions -

1. It is relavent to the thread
2. It is actually useful (ie not just "you can preorder this game at rrp here")
3. The poster stats that it is a referal link
4. A non-referal alternative link is provided

I know that alot of people here have helped me out in the past by finding bargains and posting them, or finding an obscure retailer that has something in stock that I have been unable to find, and I am more than happy to reward them with comission.

I also think that there are plenty of other successful ways of policing spam threads/posts that just preventing everyone from posting referals.

I guess this is a request that the rule be reviewed, although Captain K has allready said there is no chance of the rule changing, it's still a discussion I would like to have.

LewieP on

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think you are particularly objective about this topic.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think that as long as it's stated that it is a referral, and that there is an alternative, that it should be allowed. He didn't say from the top of the post to the bottom HEY CLICK MY REFERRAL, it was a small aside at the end. That's not all that bad.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Consequently, he's not allowed to discuss it, right?

Personally, I'd like to hear the justification for the rule if possible. It seems to me that the guidelines LewieP posted would be sufficient.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Consequently, he's not allowed to discuss it, right?

Personally, I'd like to hear the justification for the rule if possible. It seems to me that the guidelines LewieP posted would be sufficient.

indeed. I never claimed to be objective/impartial about the subject, hell, if I didn't have an opinion on it I wouldn't have made the thread.

LewieP on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cymoro wrote: »
    I think that as long as it's stated that it is a referral, and that there is an alternative, that it should be allowed. He didn't say from the top of the post to the bottom HEY CLICK MY REFERRAL, it was a small aside at the end. That's not all that bad.
    I actually thought that it was cool to provide an alternate "If you want to be nice then go my referral thingy" link. Evidently, I'm wrong and I think we might have a few rule breaking threads that have popped up without mods intervening. This could be one of those things that does need a proper clarification.
    Shush.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    :).

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Cymoro wrote: »
    I think that as long as it's stated that it is a referral, and that there is an alternative, that it should be allowed.

Yeah, I think that and if it wasn't just somebody blatantly spamming new threads with very little other than referral links but rather someone posting a referral link as part of a legitimate discussion and they make it clear that they are gaining from you clicking then link then it wouldn't be so bad.

Basically - people trying to circumnavigate PA making money off advertising = Bad. People helping each other out = good.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited July 2007
    I think referral links should stay out of message bodies and stay in sig areas like they are now. They annoy me greatly.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think referral links should stay out of message bodies and stay in sig areas like they are now. They annoy me greatly.
    Uh, why exactly do they annoy you? Is there something about the idea of someone else getting money that personally offends you or what?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Uh, why exactly do they annoy you? Is there something about the idea of someone else getting money that personally offends you or what?

I'll think on the best way to answer this, and reply again later this evening.

Just_Bri_Thanks on