As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I'll have my bachelors at 22. Aw yes

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    I'll have my bachelors at 22. Aw yes

gimme a year and i'll have mine at 21 : ]

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Just turned 27, graduating next month. Apparently it's a popular age to get your bachelor's at.

No kidding; had no idea how popular that was. Just got mine last year at 26.

Yeah I should be in this pile, assuming things go as planned.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    oh hey apparently I'm the the Graduating Distinguished Literature scholar for my university

neato

nice job, bud

what's next?

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shorty wrote: »
    oh hey apparently I'm the the Graduating Distinguished Literature scholar for my university

neato

nice job, bud

what's next?

not a goddamn thing until 2013

rejections across the board for grad schools

of course I had literally none of the honors I've accrued this year on my transcript for my applications, and also the last year of school in which I've really shined

oh well, I'll find work and try again

and maybe apply to a second-tier university or two this time

Skull Man on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    sweet my teacher fell off a ladder and now morning class is canceled

That's terrible!

• Options

That's terrible!

i feel like they should have to nurse the teacher back to health

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm all finished for the year. I'm sure I got As in most of my courses and one of my instructors confirmed that I'm getting a 100% in writing.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Jamming info in for Biochem exam and then the final. I have thirty sheets of printer paper and I am just filling them over and over with the reactions. Kill meeeeeee. But, Grad school next year, so take that science, right in your analytical face.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

neato

nice job, bud

what's next?

of course I had literally none of the honors I've accrued this year on my transcript for my applications, and also the last year of school in which I've really shined

I should probably get ready to apply for a grad school or two come this fall.

Should probably get ready for that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

That's terrible!

She's fine, nothing broken. If I understand correctly, being a nurse gives you super healing powers, like Wolverine.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

That's terrible!

She's fine, nothing broken. If I understand correctly, being a nurse gives you super healing powers, like Wolverine.

well shit, what do doctors get

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I think they're more like Dr. Strange.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'll be 32 when I get my first associate's degree.

Granted, I'm getting two of them, but still.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    poorchoicespoorchoices Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Other than vann and unintentional you have all made me feel better about the age I will be graduating at.

You two though

Good Job!

poorchoices on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Picked up my cap and gown today. Only walking because my parents want to see me graduate.

And because I want to see the hat my mom wears. She's promising something absurd/magnificent.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Started school fall '08 and finishing fall '12 god willing

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    im going to fail school and work at wal-mart forever

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    im going to fail school and work at wal-mart forever

do all your shopping AT WAL MART

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Went to SOU. Talked to an advisor. I'm pumped as shit and on cloud nine ... will have to take the SATs because I didn't have enough credits at comm. college, so I'm basically entering as a Freshman w/ credits.

Could've gone for the late registration for a test in May, but opted to save me $30 and take the test in June, plus you know time to freshen up on Math. Pretty much math will try to fuck me over, this much I know.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    How far in advance are you supposed to apply to grad school?

I've been so focused on getting through undergrad that now I have about 3-ish semesters left and I should probably not wind up having to take a year off before grad school.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

I've been so focused on getting through undergrad that now I have about 3-ish semesters left and I should probably not wind up having to take a year off before grad school.

It depends wildly on the individual school and country, but generally if you're hoping to attend in the fall you should be getting stuff put together and sent off early the previous winter. Answers are usually pretty early in the spring.

Start figuring out which ones you want to attend now, just in case there's any weird specific requirements one of them has that you might need to cram in, and begin your last year by starting the whole application process.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    You may or may not have to write fancy exams like the GRE depending on where you plan on going to school. You're going to want to do those ASAP so you have your results in time for submission.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey, so here's a thing I've been doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=empjiV69Uco

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

As already stated, you will be applying in the late Fall/early Winter for enrollment the fall after your last year.

If you have not already begun looking at departments to apply to, do so now. You want to figure those out soon so that you know just what, exactly, is required of you.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Comprehensive exams start in 12 days

Turns out they're a bigger deal than I thought, and I maybe should have started studying before now, and I maybe shouldn't have made a bunch of plans for next weekend.

Gonna be an interesting two weeks.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Down to eight more days.

Holy crap I need sleep.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    one week then semester is done

pretty certain i'm ready for critique, honestly. at least printing wise i'm done. now i'm focusing on getting things ready to present, framing and all that

this semester i really started getting into that groove where i kick my own ass to get shit printed so i have the final week for presentation issues, and i'm digging it. nice workflow

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

As already stated, you will be applying in the late Fall/early Winter for enrollment the fall after your last year.

If you have not already begun looking at departments to apply to, do so now. You want to figure those out soon so that you know just what, exactly, is required of you.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I've already been looking at the graduate programs in my area, and it seems I don't need to take the GRE after all, and other than getting letters of recommendation I'm going to be covered for the academic requirements.

On the other hand, I'm now a bit concerned that since it looks like I'll be graduating at the end of the Fall 2013 semester that I'll have to wait an entire year to start grad school unless I can either start during the Spring 2014 semester or squish in all the credits I need and graduate next spring.

Fuck.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    12 hours until I am done with organic chemistry

I survived this

I'm going to make it out alive

• Options
    12 hours until I am done with organic chemistry

I survived this

I'm going to make it out alive

we believe in you!!

quick, which carbon gets attacked in acid catalysed ring opening of an epoxide?

• Options
    The more substituted one!

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    my brother finishes orgo, I begin it

ciiiiiircle of liiiiiiife

• Options

actually I think if it's a toss-up between a primary and secondary carbon then the nucleophile attacks the primary : <

it goes 3>1>2 for some reason! the tertiary ones react via an SN1 mechanism, and the primary/secondary go by SN2

this is what we did in my course at least

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

neato

nice job, bud

what's next?

so are you trying for a Ph.D program then?

you should apply to UW

come be a Husky

grrrr

Shorty on
  • Options

actually I think if it's a toss-up between a primary and secondary carbon then the nucleophile attacks the primary : <

it goes 3>1>2 for some reason! the tertiary ones react via an SN1 mechanism, and the primary/secondary go by SN2

Oh

Here we just said it was the more substituted and it had an inversion of stereochemistry

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    you guys are scaring me

I thought chemistry was hard enough

• Options
    Hahahaha

You haven't seen anything yet

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My marks as posted for one of my classes:
    Op Eng Assign: 100
    TSSA Assign: 100
    Test 1: 88
    Final: 76
    Final Test: 93

how in the fuck do those grades equal a final mark of 76

At this point I don't think I even care enough to argue about it though, I'm just happy to be fucking done

• Options

Oh

Here we just said it was the more substituted and it had an inversion of stereochemistry

in that case ignore me! i'm sure that what your professor said is what is on their answer key!

This discussion has been closed.