As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    So what are the properties of Akuma's raging demon? Is it fully invincible from start to finish? Does it have 0-frame startup close-range?

I'm also curious how many frames I have to link an air S after a corner air combo into air tatsu xx fireball hyper. The recovery frames on that hyper are deceptive and I keep doing it a little late. I've managed to land it a couple times in online matches though.

I'm liking Akuma as my anchor though. I feel much less gimmicky than when I use Strider as my anchor, though there are some times where vajra would be more useful than tatsu so I'll still keep him in my back pocket.

I don't know the frame data, except that he doesn't have a collision box for the first 10 frames or so. A friend tried to catch me with it, so I responded in kind, and we zoomed right past each other.

The opponent has to be on the ground, for one thing. As soon as somebody leaves the ground, it won't work on them. It will, however, grab them no matter what once it contacts them if they're on the ground, ignoring blocks or attacks.

Sort of, anyway. On a whim, I've countered Raging Demon with a Crawler Assault from Spider-Man, which has startup invincibility. To my utter surprise, Crawler Assault won out and interrupted Raging Demon despite Akuma supposedly being invincible for that attack. No idea what the hell happened there.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aaa, I keep swaying on whether to get this or not. Can't decide on Vita or PS3 version. Anyone got a swing vote for me? :P

I think it depends on what you'll be doing with the game. If you really want to play on the go and only care about single player stuff, get the Vita. If you want to play against people online, I would say get the PS3 version. I have no idea how many people are playing online using the Vita version, but I can't imagine it's a lot.

If I ever get a Vita, I would probably pick this up just to mess around with missions, training, and trying different teams while I'm on the bus or whatever and then jump back to the 360 to take that knowledge online.

House of Paincakes on
  • Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    Is the Vita version really analagous to the console version? Can you really translate skills from the Vita verson to the 360? I think it would mess my game up playing on the Vita, honestly.

xbl: halophilicNC
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is the Vita version really analagous to the console version? Can you really translate skills from the Vita verson to the 360? I think it would mess my game up playing on the Vita, honestly.

Supposedly the only difference is losing some particle effects during the super moves. It's not like Mortal Kombat where the characters look noticeably worse on the Vita.

On use, I'll honestly probably be playing mostly at home. :P

Oh brilliant
    edited April 2012
    The videos I saw actually looked pretty damn solid from a graphical standpoint. If the video was lower quality, I probably wouldn't even be able to tell it was the Vita version versus 360/PS3 except for some super effects like Raven mentioned.

Though I haven't played the Vita version, I do think a lot of the skills could transfer over assuming you're comfortable going from a four button + shoulders layout back to a stick. It might be a little weird for me though because on my stick I do type beta (I think?). It's:

L M H
    S A1 A2

instead of the default:

L M A1
    S H A2

I always thought the default layout was strange, but I guess they were going for the same "4 attack buttons in a square" layout because it would be somewhat similar to MvC2. Almost everyone I know uses type beta.

House of Paincakes on
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Just saw this on SRK's front page. All around Sweet video. God Hand music, Stark comboing his level three twice in the same combo, a really nice Dante vs. Vergil "fight," amongst other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYXeP15S5g&list=UUQLGOGl5Wqr3ugXELPOfHig&index=1&feature=plcp

I didn't even know Dante had that twirly-move.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    I didn't even know Dante had that twirly-move.

I've seen Richard N use it a handful of times when MvC3 launched last year on the first, second, and possibly third, Wednesday Night Fights with MvC3. I've yet to see it since outside of a few combo videos.

I think I'm gonna go UMvC3 on PS3, BlazBlue on Vita.

UMvC3 seems too frantic, for lack of a better word, for the Vita's grip. :P

Oh brilliant
    Surprise, Surprise
    data414.png

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Surprise, Surprise
    data414.png

Give it some time and Wesker will take the 2nd spot, too.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And that's why I switched to Skullgirls.

But I'll pick up UMvC3 as soon as I hear word of a balance patch.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    They already put in a balance patch that buffed Wesker. So, next time around they'll make it so every time he uses his gun, it breaks your guard.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited April 2012
    They already put in a balance patch that buffed Wesker. So, next time around they'll make it so every time he uses his gun, it breaks your guard.

I... wow.

I guess I'll be sticking with Lovecraftian Horror and tits, then.

Cantido on
    I'm deduping as well, so if I'm playing unranked and I play the same guy 10 times it's not getting weighted 10 times. But if he switches characters I'll add them.
    Maybe once I have about 200 matches I'll show a ranked/unranked breakdown so we can see if there are any interesting differences. My guess is what we all know intuitively will be borne out: Ranked is a Wesker sausage-fest and Unranked is only slightly less saturated with Wesker. Maybe for a report I'll just filter out Wesker so we can see what the rest of the playing field is actually like.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I... wow.

Tits. ^5

Seriously, though. I'd love if they put in some small change that completely negated Wesker, like they did with She-Hulk. It would be interesting to see who everyone flocks to once that bastard is gone.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited April 2012
    data420.png

Slightly more data. I've played a lot more games than this but didn't record them because I was angrily losing my 5th rank by being repeatedly placed against 3rd lords. I now go into a Zen trance when I play ranked, where winning and losing are unimportant, only learning from the match and recording the results for data collection.

Luncheon Loaf on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

I... wow.

Cool, but you're a silly goose and wesker isn't even a thing anymore.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I keep wanting to get in to this game but it's kind of intimidating. I tried learning a character to start (Hulk mainly, with a bit of X-23), but it's like you have to learn 3 characters before you can hope to really start playing and I found that really frustrating.

It sucks cause the videos make it look so fun, and my inner comic geek really loves a good chunk of the roster.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Not to scare you off, but you actually need to be familiar with a fair chunk of the roster before you can really really start playing the game, along with whatever characters you want to start with. Knowing what enemies can do is absolutely vital to success. Stuff like knowing that Hulk's Gamma Crush hyper is invincible or that X-23 combo hyper goes through projectiles are important for you to know when you use them, but just as important for knowing what not to do when enemies use them. And not everybody uses a given character the exact same way, but each character has their own sort of signature style that's important to know for counterattacking and blocking; just takes experience to work on that, though.

That being said, there are worse places to start than Hulk and X-23. Hulk is massively powerful and can do some great stuff without much effort and X-23 can do some great stuff too, albeit rather harder to pull off. Hulk is great on point because he doesn't even need X-factor to deal big damage and X-23 can be a nightmare at XF3.

But if you do get the game, don't even touch Ranked for a long while. And by a long while, I mean weeks, at least; stick with unranked until you can get a feel for how different characters play. Then you can find somebody who isn't always going to destroy you and won't always be tier-whoring, letting you get a lot more practice in because then you can fight them repeatedly.

And do keep in mind that this game has a lot of bullshit in it like immensely abusable teleports, the vastly overpowered level 3 X-factor, and characters that got way, way more developer attention than others. Not saying it's impossible to have fun with the game, but there will definitely be frustrating matchups against characters that have far too much capability and far too little in the way of weaknesses.

I mainly got the game because I got started watching Maximillian's Assist Me videos and dug them, and I've always had an appreciation of fighting games but never really played them before now.

Though now that you mention it I've only ever tried Ranked the couple times I've felt froggy enough to try online. Usually after beating a hard (well, hard for me) trial and thinking 'okay, now let's see how we do.'

Those fights end ... poorly.

• CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Saidly the trials don't teach you much about actually playing the game since being defensive, blocking, and knowing how to get in on your opponent (varies from character to character) are immensly more important then know how to do long combos (since combos only mean garenteed damage when you succesfully do the previously mentioned skills.)

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
    Got it! Initial impressions;

- this is super fun.
    - playing as Dante and Vergil may have been a bad call, cause I'm applying ingrained knowledge of their DMC combos and it's all wrong.
    - AI Wesker was a chump, Dormammu wrecked me. I mean, I killed the other 2 on his team, and Dormammu alone killed all 3 of my guys. One of em, he just put in a ball and OHKO'd em.

Oh brilliant
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Nice Raven! Enjoy it, love it, have FUN with it.

If you want to be a pro, you have a long road ahead of you. If you want to have great times and honestly don't care about wins or losses, then just find guys you like, do whatever you can to win (opponent cant handle spamming a certain attack? SPAM!), and laugh it off when you can put the controller down and be comboed into oblivion.

and play with the fine folks here!

...and also, set up matches with TempleWulf that you can never, ever seem to mesh with. He LOVES that!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    *I am on Vita though, so I don't know how many of you guys I can play against. :P

For now, been playing loads of Missions - one thing I keep getting stuck on though; what's the pink atk icon signify? I thought it was 'Special' but that's a green S. Pink just mean "do any attack" ? Cause I can't get it to work.

Oh brilliant
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    yup, pink is any attack button.

Although, on the Vita it may be hit any TWO attack buttons at once (like for a hyper) on a smaller screen. I know the 2 at once thing on the XBox is 2 ATK icons kind of overlapping. So maybe it's a little harder to see.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Zero is bad news bears for She-Hulk. I like how his air anything beats dp+H, or a just a jumping air throw attempt or anything. I always hold P1 to start Doom against him, always.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Zero is bad news bears for motherfucking everyone

Just a reality of marvel. Certain matchups are just awful. The sooner you come to terms with it, the fewer rage tears you will shed.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    To be fair She Hulk was butchered in the transition to Ultimate in the first place. And even in vanilla MvC3 she was already the victim of some dubious design decisions, like how using a wallbounce in her combos neuters her only hyper she can use midcombo because it uses one in order to get all three hits in.

Okay, gonna have another go at this game, as I'm nothing if not a glutton for punishment.

Now I have to find a third character to play with, or at least one to learn on. I was using Hulk/X-23/Doom but Doom was only there for his beam assist. So far I haven't really found another character I like yet. I've tried Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, and Thor so far and none of them felt right.

May try out Ryu, at least I know most of his moves already.

• inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    Okay, gonna have another go at this game, as I'm nothing if not a glutton for punishment.

Now I have to find a third character to play with, or at least one to learn on. I was using Hulk/X-23/Doom but Doom was only there for his beam assist. So far I haven't really found another character I like yet. I've tried Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, and Thor so far and none of them felt right.

May try out Ryu, at least I know most of his moves already.

That team (Hulk/X/Doom) is actually pretty good. You can DHC well from Hulk to X-23 (and back), X-23 gives Hulk the otg assist he desperately needs, a beam helps both Hulk and X-23, Doom is a great anchor. It has all the pieces. I main X-23/Hulk/Akuma, but I haven't been playing much lately. If you're on XBL and interested, I can show you some X-23/Hulk tech.

XBL - remura
    inlemur wrote: »
    That team (Hulk/X/Doom) is actually pretty good. You can DHC well from Hulk to X-23 (and back), X-23 gives Hulk the otg assist he desperately needs, a beam helps both Hulk and X-23, Doom is a great anchor. It has all the pieces. I main X-23/Hulk/Akuma, but I haven't been playing much lately. If you're on XBL and interested, I can show you some X-23/Hulk tech.
    That'd be awesome. My gamertag is That Stone Dude, send me a message whenever.

I didn't like Doom because he seemed complicated, but sounds like I should give him another shot.

Figure out how to move with doom and you're good. Air dash air dash air dash. Practice box jump Ms, empty triangle jump low Ls, canceling footdive into dash for mixups and to make it more safe.

Look up buktooth loop and corner loop and go from there as far as his combos are concerned. Note to everyone else, I know buktooth isn't optimal any more but it's a farily easy loop and it introduces you to the timing of this relaunch loops.

Of course, you can just abuse footdive too. But once you figure out how to move with him everything else just falls into place. I'm not sure I'd play a team without him. He's also on my keychain.

WP_000226.jpg

That's adorable.

And huzzah - 2 pink atks means double button press, cool. I'm looking close, and they're totally not overlapping. I thought it meant, y'know, 2 taps in quick succession. Up to Mission 7, and yeah, getting crazy.

I like the mission mode, feels like I'm learning plenty. Just wish there was an option to display the required imputs.

Oh brilliant
    edited April 2012
    To be fair She Hulk was butchered in the transition to Ultimate in the first place. And even in vanilla MvC3 she was already the victim of some dubious design decisions, like how using a wallbounce in her combos neuters her only hyper she can use midcombo because it uses one in order to get all three hits in.

When the stock is low...BUY BUY BUY. She's not so terrible now but people are forgetting all her resets. And with booty drop relaunch her damage is respectable (though fuck linking crouching L into standing M online).

Luncheon Loaf on
    edited April 2012

I... wow.

Cool, but you're a silly goose and wesker isn't even a thing anymore.

O RLY

Because I still have salty, salty PTSD from MvC3. I think I played it for a month and couldn't take it anymore.

EDIT - I just ordered this so I can use my TE-S on Ps3 and PC.

Cantido on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wesker is easy to use, that's why he's so common. Once you become skilled with certain other characters, his "ranking" falls a bit in terms of best anchor for example.

Like even on that graph above, 103 matches, Wesker 10%, so he was in barely more than 10 matches?

Truly threatening lol.

He's still an amazing character due to teleports + ease of use, but I fear Dark Arthur / Dark Phoenix (duh) / Dark Felicia / Dark Wolverine / Dark Vergil / DARK STRIDER far more.

Dear god is Strider cheap if used correctly.

Almost forgot X-23. Now there's some bullshit if used correctly on anchor.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular

When the stock is low...BUY BUY BUY. She's not so terrible now but people are forgetting all her resets. And with booty drop relaunch her damage is respectable (though fuck linking crouching L into standing M online).

I haven't played in a good while and all, and I hate to be "that guy" here, but honestly I don't see much reason to use She Hulk in Ultimate outside of love for the character. Large hitbox, very susceptible to zoning, difficulty with hit confirms, and really only average combo damage when she's not getting her resets off. Her assists aren't very good, either. Yeah you can make do at times, but it's way more work than it should be.

...or maybe I'm just still salty about her transition between the two versions.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Amazon is giving me $27 for SFxT; so maybe I'll get Marvel after all.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    No, you're right Royal.

That's the thing, though, she can work if your team is built to make it work. I ran a local tourney in Philly last month and the guy who won it was using She Hulk in half the matches (and it had entrants like Josh Wong, Fecal Penance, AG Felax, etc).

Unfamiliarity + team built to get her in so she can start her bullshit carried him. It was pretty hype.

Like, honestly? MOST of the balance is done via team builds, hence why Kusoro won Final Round with Rocket Raccoon and Viewtiful Joe to power Frank. The game is pretty well balanced for a fighting game with 50 people.

Unfortunately, most people are dumb + bad + prefer to blame characters.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).