As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is now out on Steam! Now you have no excuse.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The only other ways I see online to get the Gattling Laser is to either join the Brotherhood of Steel and buy one, or some quests that I think I've already either done or gotten rid of. Kinda bummed.

I may just say forget it and power through the end anyway. I have a really awesome Tri-Laser rifle now that I've put attachments and stuff on that is apparently just as powerful anyway.

Well , off the top of my head I remember there being another telsa cannon unique in old world blues dlc but can remember if there was another one in the base game. As for the gatling laser
    If you do Arcades quest and kill Moreno you get his

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's the ones at the brotherhood of steel, or you could go rob the silver rush again.

The tesla cannon is NOT a unique, and can be found in the brotherhood of steel safehouse, and can be bought randomly from the great khan armorer.

HOWEVER, there is a unique variant of the cannon, called the tesla-Beaton prototype, at the "Crashed Vertibird" location. This location is southwest of camp searchlight.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    How does that one compare to Elijah's tesla cannon?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Shimshai wrote: »
    How does that one compare to Elijah's tesla cannon?
    Looking at the fallout wiki, Elijah's cannon has slightly lower damage, higher rate of fire, slightly higher magazine, and less durability.

Of course, I suggested the tesla-beaton cannon because I'm not sure what DLC Mxmarks has.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Good point.

Though everyone should own OWB. It should be mandatory really.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Good point.

Though everyone should own OWB. It should be mandatory really.

Still the best piece of DLC I have ever played.

On my tied for favorite RPG ( New Vegas/Alpha Protocol) Never thought I would end up loving this game so much.

EspantaPajaro on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just wish the dialog was more spread out. All the good stuff is right at the beginning.

edited April 2012
    double postin' like a noob

Orca on
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    I just wish the dialog was more spread out. All the good stuff is right at the beginning.

Most of it.

There's some other good stuff here and there, but yeah. Frontloaded.

The middle is mostly getting killed by nightstalkers.

Or emptying your guns uselessly into roboscorpions before running out of ammo and just hitting them with your superheated saturnite fist

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Most of it.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I was all about the dog-gun. Man's best friend freakishly combined with man's other best friend.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited April 2012

Most of it.

Thats only because the opening dialogue is like 40 minutes long if you go through everything. I still love the the confrontation with Mobius and you find out what is really going on. Also "It is I , doctor Mobius ! Transmitting from my dome shaped ... DOME ! In the forbidden zone , that is yes , FORBIDDEN TO YOU!"

Most of it.

Or emptying your guns uselessly into roboscorpions before running out of ammo and just hitting them with your superheated saturnite fist

The Proton axe works real well too.

EspantaPajaro on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    melee is so goddamn good in new vegas

i took out the OWB boss in about a seven second drug-fueled orgy of proton axing

Elendil wrote: »

i took out the OWB boss in about a seven second drug-fueled orgy of proton axing

I preferred unarmed for most of the game. Seemed to be melee only got real good towards the end , while unarmed was always pretty badass.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Most of it.

I used anti-robot guns.

Also, carried more ammo than most armies. Put together.

Combine that with the T-51B, and I was equipped for the long haul.

Of course, it turned out when fighting the boss, I was using a gun glitched to NOT have bonus robot damage, while ignoring the best weapon for the job that would only need half the time.

Probably would have saved me some chems.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I preferred unarmed for most of the game. Seemed to be melee only got real good towards the end , while unarmed was always pretty badass.
    nah, you can get chance's knife right out of goodsprings and kick ass

grab knock knock on your way past searchlight

and then eventually get around to picking up oh baby

now you have everything you could possibly need

Unfortunately the quest that gives you access to the fire station glitched. He didn't drop the key for it either when I killed him , also didn't have the 9 strength for oh baby until I got the implants and power armor =/

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    To my shame, I have not completed New Vegas. It was one of those games that was always, "Well, I'll get it next month."

Although I did read the story of Joshua Graham and gawd is that guy a badass.

Joshua is an interesting case. He was originally supposed to be a chaotic evil motherfucker in the black isle fallout 3 but when they remade the character for honest hearts they made him a deep , angry and tough but they also added the dimension of him wanting redemption as much as revenge. I personally love the character just as much as Ulysses. Also something to note is that both of these fascinating characters are ex legion. Also his .45 is badass.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

nah, you can get chance's knife right out of goodsprings and kick ass

grab knock knock on your way past searchlight

and then eventually get around to picking up oh baby

now you have everything you could possibly need

Chance's Knife is pretty ridiculous since it's affected by both Grunt and Cowboy perks. Toss that in with other melee and critical perks and it'd last you a pretty long time.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have no DLC unfortunately, but may grab OWB now that I see I can replace the laser that I miss so much.

Part of me wants to just power through to start a new run, because i just keep reading all this cool stuff. Another part of me says jesus with my huge backlog I will NEVER find time to return to this so savor my one run.

I played through Fallout 3 all in a row, for a long time, and liked it a lot - but I feel like I like New Vegas a lot more, despite the 3+ month break I took in the middle.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    New Vegas actually has writing, and they must have listened to the complaints about the underground, because while it has references to a subway system, the subway tunnels only go for short distances, where they're open at all.

It's a smaller, better put-together game.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    To my shame, I have not completed New Vegas. It was one of those games that was always, "Well, I'll get it next month."

Although I did read the story of Joshua Graham and gawd is that guy a badass.

"I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's just a chore, like any other."

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    New Vegas actually has writing, and they must have listened to the complaints about the underground, because while it has references to a subway system, the subway tunnels only go for short distances, where they're open at all.

It's a smaller, better put-together game.

Technically isnt it slightly larger than fo3? It just has quite a bit more empty space to it, which is nice but a lot of it is unremarkable, not even remarkably unremarkable. This, combined with the let down that is new vegas makes for a more forgettable game for me. This is mostly due to my own expectations of seeing the new vegas lights from the hills near good springs, and and being so thoroughly unimpressed by the city once i arrived.

While capturing the desolation of desert extremely well, with music, lightening, and critters. The cities and towns were opposite end of feeling like a hodge podge collection of quest givers and a trader. I know most of the quest hubs in fo3 were equally bad, but at least memorable (even if for being awful... im looking at you rivet city/big town/little lamplight) However Megaton, ten penny, evergreen hills were all fantastic. For whatever reason the towns leading up to vegas all leave me with the impression of Andale (not the story of, but rather the effect... andale... andale.. it sounds familiar but.... oh yeah that place, it was ok).

Yes the standard of writing is higher on NV, but I think more was crammed into FO3 a good amount of it misses, the parts that stuck with me carry it. ;)

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The trouble with New Vegas, and why it feels so small, is that most of the content is in a big oval in the center of the map. The middle is mountains and there's very little to the left, right, or south to explore.

The Capital Wasteland is spread out better, with at least one point of interest in each part of the map.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    See, we're getting into this again, but Like I've said before, I NEVER found anything of interest in the capital wasteland. There are two cities, and a bunch of copypasted ruins with MAYBE mildly interesting somewhere in the middle. In new vegas, everywhere I turned was something at least MARGINALLY interesting.

Granted, that might be at least partly because I always used Wild wasteland, but still.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    See, we're getting into this again, but Like I've said before, I NEVER found anything of interest in the capital wasteland. There are two cities, and a bunch of copypasted ruins with MAYBE mildly interesting somewhere in the middle. In new vegas, everywhere I turned was something at least MARGINALLY interesting.

Granted, that might be at least partly because I always used Wild wasteland, but still.

dunwich

heenato wrote: »

The Capital Building
    The Licoln Memorial
    The Citadel
    Tennpenny Tower
    The Republic of Dave
    Andale
    The Museum of Natural History
    Megaton
    Rivet City

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, but for all those you have the logical disconnect of little fucking lamplight

steam_sig.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The problem with the FO3 towns, and the Capital Wasteland, is that they're really just made based on gimmicks and camp value but they don't really make any sense or have any logical consistency.

With New Vegas, it actually feels like there's a society. People grow food, they trade with each other, they have law and politics, they try to form alliances or sabotage each other, etc. Even with a gimmicky place like the Boomer military base, they have the means to support themselves. They have solar panels for power. They have a farm for food. They have a machine shop to build and maintain their weapons. They have a bio-diesel plant that they use to turn corn into fuel for their bombs.

KingofMadCows on
    But I want camp. FFS, this is a world where SCIENCE!!! is scientific fact. I couldn't give two lifts of a bhramin's tale about biodiesel, gimme more pew pew zap zap pulp goodness. That's my trouble with New Vegas. The core game just lacks so much of the retro sci-fi sensiblities that brought me to the Fallout series.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    But I want camp. FFS, this is a world where SCIENCE!!! is scientific fact. I couldn't give two lifts of a bhramin's tale about biodiesel, gimme more pew pew zap zap pulp goodness. That's my trouble with New Vegas. The core game just lacks so much of the retro sci-fi sensiblities that brought me to the Fallout series.
    On that point, Old World Blues does it SO much better than Fallout 3 as a whole.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    The original fallouts had it to some degree, but not nearly to the extent of fo3, which dialed it to 11. Largely, agin, because of the idea leading to disconnected vignettes. The core sensibilities in fo1 and 2 was always the towns, and inches interaction between survival as a society (especially in 2) as opposed to selfish self interest

And seriously, fucking little lamplight: how is baby formed?

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Uh, couples dump their kids there in the hopes of giving them a slightly better chance at survival? Word of it gets spread by the people who leave it at maturity.

Ta da.

It's really not that bad, I'm not sure why everyone hates it. But then again, people only gave money to a charity because they were pissed off about a video games ending, so who the fuck knows about the way of the world?

CaptainNemo on
    I unno. The people in big town could have kids, make the trip to little lamplight, and drop 'em off?

Why am I trying to justify this, I hate little lamplight.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I felt like everything was a lot more connected in New Vegas. Maybe I was paying attention more, but man - hearing about Bitter Springs, FINDING Bitter Springs by accident, knowing what happened there, and then dealing with the Khans - that whole arc has just felt a lot more natural and immersive than anything I did in FO3.

I think New Vegas itself though has really stalled my progress because its a hell of a lot less interesting (hey, there's 3 really shitty families here!) than everything Ive spent like 30 hours doing. the crimson caravan company's interactions, the NCR, everything outside of New Vegas I have absolutely loved.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    I never really felt the connection of the story and gameplay elements of NV, bitter springs was just a camp for me, i wanted to see more about survivors, little snippets of dialog that were just flavor and not quest related, but what little there was still left a huge disconnect for me between the story being told and world i was navigating.

I mean in FO:3 you could blow up megaton, allow the overthrow of 10 penny, watch as super mutants over run big town, decide the fate of the republic of dan, help people get married, or finally take the plunge ;) . I was hoping that this type of element would be expanded on and maybe a professional version of RTS be implemented. Those closest thing in NV was archamedies? lonesome road resolution? helping the ncr or legion eliminate the 2ndary base? Choosing a leader for the BOS? All of those seemed less impactful on the community I'm supposed to be interacting with.

Yes the ending credits are affected by your decisions, but i wanted more variety as far as in game impact.

OWB is closest to what i want my fallout experience to be, except as mentioned above i want wacky dialog all the way through, it was great at the beginning, and good at the end, but in between was bullet sponginess and the environment was very samey, it didnt help it was a drab environment (which i can accept from a DLC, but i want that experience throughout the game).

In conclusion im one of those fans who wants way too much to be delivered by the sequel.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Fallout 3 is a good game for people who don't care about Fallout lore (I hate that word) or just the general atmosphere of the Fallout series. Bethesda completely missed the point, and Fallout 3 was littered with a bunch of non-choices meant to appeal to, well, the majority of today's gamers who will use words like "epic" to describe them (Megaton, etc). It was still a fun game to play, but that's all. Thankfully, Obsidian did it right with New Vegas. Hopefully Fallout 4 is suitably improved.

Are you the magic man?
    Yeah. Fallout 3 got the feeling of infinite possibility, the huge map that's yours to explore (tell me you didn't feel that when you started wandering around in Fallout 2) and a wonderful sense of wandering the empty wastes while completely missing the feel of everything else.

I've said it before, but I enjoy it for the sense of isolation, a man, his gun, and his dog, but damn the rest of it is kind of ass.

Megaton is one of those concepts that sounds hilarious as cool, but in execution was just pants-on-head retarded.

I will give them credit for the vault science experiment thing, which was kind of cool--except the execution was again, pants-on-head retarded.

It still paved the way both in terms of popularity and in terms of the engine for Fallout: New Vegas, so for that, Bethesda has my eternal thanks.

Agian, I'm note sure that isolation was ever a core theme. Rowan kaiser had a great article on joystiq a few months ago on how it was basically the originator of conversation battles. And also companion characterization rather than making your whole party (though not sure of the timeline on that last one)

And I thought that the vault experiment thing was from van buren?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.