As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Like Korodullin said, you need him for 2/3rds of the game to buy and sell to.

So I guess maybe you'd gank him during Chapter 7? What does he drop anyway, a knave's robe and a staff?

huntresssig.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    An Adventurer's Robe, a plain quarterstaff, and two potions: one Restoration and one Fire Resistance.

And a pittance of gold.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    He doesn't speak to me with reverance. He gets the chop.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    ...yeah, definitely not worth killing over.

huntresssig.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I have a save from before I chopped him in to ribbons. I'll just load that one. :P

edited April 2012
    DaivgPjb

And this is why I rolled an Assassin. That was the first and only hit landed on him.

Edit: Firkraag is proving... problematic.

Edit2: Firkraag's dead! Though there were some...

gdB1yAeO

...complications.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited April 2012
    Windspear Hills (my horrible accent keeps making me pronounce it "Heels") finished, and that's pretty much it for Chapter 2.

Things started off normal enough, with the "ogre" fight that turned into a bunch of dead paladins. Garren Windspear approached afterward and took me to his cottage where his daughter proceeded to get captured and I was forced into a fight. The bandit battle can sometimes be kind of tricky if the group gets any time to do much of anything, but with Mazzy able to send 5 arrows a round sailing through the air into the mage, she went down pretty quick with the rest of the orcs following. After that, it was time to explore the area. First order of business was to give the dryad acorns that I got all the way back at the beginning of the game to the dryad grove for some extra XP, then I fought off a few werewolves who were general pushovers. Once that was out of the way, it was off to the Windspear ruins.

Immediately upon entering I'm attacked by a band of hobgoblins led by Chieftain DigDag. A single Greater Command sent them onto their asses and we had a field day mopping them up. Some vampiric mists from the large cavern room to the west joined in, but were put down pretty quick with the Mace of Disruption and Jaheira's swords. The next group of hobgoblins ate another Greater Command with similar results. The Rakshasa Rukh leading the small group of kamikaze kobolds (which all folded under a single Holy Smite) went down a lot easier than Ihtafeer or the sewer Rakshasa, a single Breach wiping out his Protection from Magic Weapons. A large group of orc archers (which was new, I think) over the suspiciously large pit and some more vampiric mists later, and it was off to the second floor.

Shapiro got stuffed with a billion arrows from the archer ambush right off the bat, having to quaff an invisbility potion while Jan (under the cover of Blur, luckily) unlocked the two doors to let Callic and Jaheira in to fight. Mazzy, continuing to be awesome, took down half the archers before either of my meleers could even get into the doors. The rest of the archers croaked and Shapiro healed up before scouting ahead and almost got his block knocked off by a band of golems, which Callic had to dispatch. It was at this point that I noticed things were... laggy. Baldur's Gate II, on a modern PC, is not supposed to have a choppy framerate. There are only three things that can cause this, and two of them are entirely SCS' fault: A ton of scripts firing off a lot, a ton of enemies, and a lot of active background programs. Shapiro opened another door to the east, where there are normally a few high-level vampires and I got my answer.

The next room was filled, and I mean absolutely filled to the brim with enemies. I wish I had it screenshotted because it was complete insanity. Six elder vampires, another half dozen mummies, twelve dread wolves - which were absolutely brutal in BG1 and can still do significant damage in BG2 - as well as two dozen giant rats. Half of the rats and wolves spawned behind the rest of my party and continued spawning every couple of rounds until all six vampires were dead. Callic waded into the undead horde with Blade Barrier spinning and let loose a Flamestrike to do a ton of damage (I wish I'd had Jaheira behind him to False Dawn as well, but there'll be opportunities for that later) while Jaheira, Xan, and Shapiro fought off the rear ambush with Mazzy sailing a few fire arrows into the dread wolves around callic. After a couple minutes of that nonsense, the horde was defeated and after a few more shadows were dead in the next room, the key to the rest of the dungeon was claimed.

The maze of trapped doors was fairly uneventful, with Callic having Protection from Fire and Xan being a single Ring of Fire Resistance away from immunity himself rendering the normally infuriating guardian djinn pretty trivial. Though Jan did manage to get one-shot a djinn's point-blank fireball spell when he was just a wee bit too close. Oops. The Director beholder was pretty cake, since it didn't have the normal eyestalk powers and acted more like a Gauth with more HP. For some reason I keep thinking the beholder was the guardian you need the Mask of King Strohm to see, which meant Shapiro naturally ate a fireball from the real guardian, an invisible fire elemental. For some reason the Mask didn't reveal it, but one of Callic's Detect Invisibility spells was more than happy to oblige. My party gathered in the room right before the treasure hoard, Shapiro spread out a few traps, and then Jan looted the sword and shield. Samia, who asked me to help her find the treasure in the first place, teleported in with a merry band of assholes... and then they all died to traps at the same time. I didn't realize I'd spread them out quite that effectively.

Headed back to the main part of the dungeon and fished up the air elemental from the well (along with the Dragon helmet) and moved along to the quarreling werewolf, hobgoblin chief, and mini-troll after knocking off a few more wolfweres. Killed them and opened the door to the golem cave. The stone golems went down fairly easily but ye gods the adamantine golem was a pain. Hit Callic like a truck despite his Armor of Faith spells and its poisoning gas clouds did little but extend the fight as it forced Callic and Jaheira (the only two who could damage it in reasonable safety) to have to move away. It finally went down, its treasure gained, and it was off to the final area of the level.

A few flinds and orogs went down in the first room and Shapiro trapped the hallway leading to the final one before lurking around in stealth while the rest of the party waited back in the room prior. Callic opened the door to find a handful of orcish archert, the Orog chief DigDag, and Tazok of all people. After a few taunting words, Callic pulled back to the door leading to the hallway in the room where the rest of the party was situated. The archer fodder ate the traps (instead of DigDag or Tazok, like I hoped), and the two bosses trundled their way up to Callic to be tanked like good little soldiers. Jaheira moved in to beat on DigDag while Callic engaged Tazok. Shapiro moved in for a backstab and, well:

JQMmM8x9

I think that's about all that needs to be said. He went down like a chump in BG1 and he went down like a chump in BG2. DigDag went down shortly after, and after a quick chat with Windspear's kid it was down to the dragon's lair. A quick chat with Firkraag and it was back up to deal with his lieutenant, Conster. A bit of prep work and I was ready for the fight. Tossed a Breach to take down his initial Protection from Magic Weapons and got ready to hunker down for a long fight of dispels and counter-magic and...

DaivgPjb

...oh, okay then. Freed Windspear's kid and then went back to give Firkraag a shot.

I didn't go into great detail about SCS dragons when I talked about the fight with Thaxll'ssillyia the shadow dragon at Umar Hills, but I will for Firkraag. SCS does a few things to dragons: First, it triples their HP straight up. Firkraag has just under 600 HP now, compared to the 180-ish he had before; his staying power in vanilla BG2 was largely due to his massive amount of protective spells and his very frequently-used wing buffet. Second, dragons had their immunities standardized and brought more in line with the beefier Throne of Bhaal dragons, giving them immunity to Imprisionment, Death magic (no more Greater Malison + Finger of Death or, if you're not running Spell Revisions, Chromatic Orb for a quick kill), and decapitations (like from the Silver Sword). So you've gotta take em down old-school. Third, dragons get smarter with their spells: they actually seem to lose a few spells compared to vanilla BG2, but their much higher HP and greater intelligence in picking targets for the spells they do have generally makes up for it. So Firkraag is very, very, very, very, very dangerous. His fire breath can hit for about 80 damage per person - and with SCS cannot be resisted by Magic Resistance, though Fire Resistance obviously still applies while wing buffet still flings people across the battlefield and into extremely dangerous corners. He also comes packing a couple Remove Magic spells which, given his high level (he's considered by the game to be a 23/23/23 Fighter/Mage/Cleric) will almost assuredly dispel every buff you've got. Oh and he hits like a truck, of course, doing nearly 40 damage a hit with Shield of Faith active. That's about 5 connected hits to dead for Callic, who has the most HP of the party by far.

Prep work was largely Callic using all of his level 5 spell slots for Protection from Fire, Mazzy donning the whole Dragon equipment set (and going melee; I changed her proficiencies to Longsword for more reasons than just to avoid gear competition with Shapiro), and Xan and Jan altering their spell loadouts significantly. They packed a lot of Breaches (which I turned out to not really need), Greater Malisons, and Lower Resistance spells, and Jan filled his level 3 slots with Lightning Bolts. I buffed up, Hasted, and headed down. Surrounded the still-neutral Firkraag and Xan started the fight by summoning some Shadows, since summons turn dragons hostile immediately.

Firkraag's first order of business was to fire off a high-level sequencer, hasting, stoneskinning, and protecting himself from magic weapons... while simultaneously casting Remove Magic, completely wiping out all the buffs I had cast. Regardless I soldiered on, even when Jaheira got feared pretty shortly after. The loss of my buffs was too great, though, and combined with my inability to get Firkraag's own haste removed culminated when Callic ate a second fire breath before he could completely heal up from the first, killing him. Second try went a bit better, sending in the Shadows first to eat the initial Remove Magic, and I did pretty well until a second Remove Magic nuked Callic's buffs and he, once again, ate a fire breath while weakened from Firkraag's melee.

Third time was the charm, though, but as evidenced from my previous post, it was hard-won. Instead of running in right after the Shadows got blasted by Firkraag's fireball, I hung back a bit, letting Shapiro dart in for a quick strike and running off with the Boots of Speed, letting Xan and Jan wind up Breaches and debuffs like Malison and Lower Resistance. Jaheira then cast something I forgot I had memorized: Insect Plague. By some small miracle it landed and Firkraag was pretty much out of commission as far as spellcasting for quite a bit. Callic and Mazzy then rushed in, the former Enraging and Mazzy slicing the hell out of Firkraag with the Dragonbane sword. Xan stuffed Firkraag with some Acid Arrows, Jan launched some of his Lightning Bolts (which, unlike vanilla, are single-target and can hit multiple times), and Jaheira landed a Call Lightning. Shapiro hung back at the back of the cave, biding his time. Then, something wholly unexpected happened.

Firkraag went into morale failure.

That might not mean a lot to most of you, but this is not a thing that should ever happen. Dragons are, naturally, immune to fear and as such they don't have the proper AI routines necessary to really properly simulate being scared - morale failure is similar to fear, but can be triggered by different things... like Jaheira's Insect Plague. So somehow Jaheira's Insect Plague combined with the massive incoming damage he was taking managed to somehow tank his enormous morale pool. So for a fairly large amount of time Firkraag wandered about aimlessly, which is about all his frizzed-out AI could really think to do, while constantly attempt to cast (and thus immediately canceling) pretty much his entire arsenal of spells. I took serious advantage of this, sending Shapiro back in to do some more damage while Xan hit True Strike and waded in and Jan kept unloading more and more lightning bolts.

As he hit Near Death status, Firkraag finally snapped out of his funk and went back on the offensive, wing buffeting the crew (minus Mazzy, who was immune) and began tearing chunks out of the halfling. Another wing buffet and Jaheira went to cast Heal... but didn't quite make it in time and Mazzy ate one too many dragon claws to the face. Jaheira got in one or two more hits, quaffing a potion of her own before trying to retreat... and also not quite making it. I was tempted to reload right there, as Jaheira dying usually kills her romance, but I decided to keep on trucking. Xan began kiting Firkraag around while Callic guzzled Extra Healing potions, but then ate a fire breath and died... due to me forgetting to have him quaff a fire resistance potion to bring him up to 100% resistance. Sigh. Callic went back in to deal some damage and Shapiro got in a couple licks as well, using his last Wand of Lightning charges to do a bit more before kiting Firkraag while Callic broke off to heal. Jan finally emptied his last Magic Missile into Firkraag (who was still at Near Dead) and Shapiro was hurting (though luckily still immune to fire) and Callic re-Enraged, went back in... and got the final hit for the kill. Whew.

Rezzed my fallen and used the console to check my relationship status with Jaheira. Still active according to that, so that's good. Nobody leveled from the whole adventure, which kinda sucked, but a bunch of people are very close. Now, it's time to head off and finally do Chapter 3.

And for the loot recap:
    Silverblaze
    TeVIV5Vt

The first of the Rogue Rebalance-added weapons, Silverblaze is a pretty nifty little dagger you can get either early on by succeeding at a very difficult pick pocket attempt (which is how I got it) or a bit later at the end of Chapter 3. It's a bit more powerful than most pre-Spellhold weapons, but as it's a dagger an extra +1 enchantment level doesn't really make it too crazy, especially since its on-hit ability only affects a fairly uncommon enemy. Currently equipped on nobody, but it's kept around for the extra Negative Plane Protection charges, freeing up some Divine spell slots.

Moonblade
    1TsJmEX4

Xan's upgraded Moonblade, available when he hits 1.5 million XP with the "Xan for BG2" mod. From what I've seen on the Item Revision forums, this weapon gives Demi an aneurism, and for good reason. It has the permanent Invisibility effect of the old vanilla Staff of the Magi along with permanent Vocalize and becoming a +4 weapon on top of it. This is the pure-class Mage version; the different install options for Xan that let you change him to a different class give him slightly different enchants, like the Fighter/Mage version's +1 attack/round, which is a bit less broken than on-demand invisibility. I promise to not abuse this as much as I can avoid doing so.

Dragonslayer +3
    phIqZV9B

Fairly significantly changed by Item Revisions, it loses +1 to THAC0 and damage (though still remaining +3 to determine what it can hit) and its on-use Detect Invisibility. Instead of double damage vs. dragons (which I suspect, in vanilla, simply doubled all damage you do after all other calculations, meaning you would do an absolutely enormous amount of damage per hit) it gains a bit saner +2 to THAC0 and +8 damage against dragons. Still significant, but not broke. The Slicing Blow abilitiy keeps it useful outside of dragon-killin' as well. In one of Mazzy's quick-weapon slots, though I'm not sure how much use it'll see outside of dragon slaying.

Dragon Scale Shield +2
    KFY1a3Va

Rather than vanilla's setting of fire/cold/electric resistance to 25% (which actually prevents you from ever going higher than 25% resistance, which is a huge hinderance), the IR-modified shield instead gives you really good fire resistance and immunity from pushback effects, keeping you from being knocked around by wing buffets and potentially beholder/mind flayer/gith telekinesis as well. currently in Mazzy's inventory for Melee Moments, I might toss it to Callic once in a while as well.

Dragon Helm
    SMi3wSus

Like the Dragon Scale Shield, the helmet also used to set fire/cold/electric resist to 25%, making the helmet fairly useless in conjunction with the shield. Now, it's the perfect mate to the shield, and gains both an immunity to sleep (great against enemy Clerics who love their very hard-to-resist Greater Command spells) as well as the +1 AC bonus all magic helmets in IR get. Mazzy's helm for the foreseeable future.

Heartseeker +3
    xtd8EeSa

Originally just a normal +3 composite longbow with the ability to give yourself +7 to-hit for nine seconds once per day, IR changes the on-use ability to an always-on +3 to hit and gives it a fun little proc chance ability. I could use it on Mazzy, as the really high THAC0 and damage make up for her being completely non-proficient in longbows, but she'd require a STR-boosting spell or item to equip it. She'd lose the massive 5 attacks per round of the Tuigan bow, however, so it's probably not worth it for the low save-or-die proc. In an Archer Ranger's hands, though, it's one of the best bows in the game.

Delver's Plate +2
    nwc5bARv

No longer plain old +2 plate mail with a fancy name and unique backstory, it now has 50% magic damage resist which, if I recall, protects against spells like Magic Missile and Horrid Wilting. Mazzy's new armor.

Cloak of the Shield
    Sa9BZMgw

This is actually my second Cloak of the Shield; the first dropped from the Warden in the Planar Prison and I forgot to even screenshot it, much less mention it. Whoops. Now I have two of them thanks to Firkraag. Unlike vanilla's, which gave you +5 AC vs. missiles and +1 vs. everything else for 1 turn ??? number of times per day, IR's now acts as a permanent Shield spell, protecting you from Magic Missiles, giving you extra missile AC, and setting your AC to 5. A great cloak in most situations (it's invaluable for a Kensai as they cannot equip bracers), it's ultimately not that handy for my particular party setup, as Jan's gloves set his AC to the same thing and Xan has bracers with better AC. One of them is on Jan and I'll probably vendor the other one.

Carsomyr +4
    Wjg18pcM

ZzHXCb7A
    Item Revisions nerfs Carsomyr every possible way it can be nerfed: Its enchantment level is lowered by 1. Its Dispel Magic on hit now requires a save. Its on-use Dispel Magic ability can only be used once per day instead of three times. Its on-equip magic resistance bonus is 20% instead of 50%. Its bonus damage vs. evil is even lowered from 5 to 3 (though it affects all Evil instead of "only" Chaotic Evil).

Even with all that it's still one of the best weapons in the game, period.

And I have not a single party member that can use it. Oh well.

Red Dragonplate Armor +5
    31LpN2hk

Relatively unchanged from vanilla, it's been given an extra point of AC to get it to the same AC level as the other chromatic dragon plate armors. It's on Jaheira for now, as I believe Druids with IR are allowed to equip the dragon platemails, but since I kinda fudged up installing other mods to still allow Druids to wear helmets and shields, I'm not entirely sure. Some comfirmation would be good.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    jaheira is pretty strong as long as you give her a str belt. she sucked in BG1 though, absolutely no weapon selection. then in tob you get to bust out stuff like whirlwind+slay living

It's too bad the highest Strength Jaheira can ever achieve without short-duration buffs (or shorter-duration potions) in Item Revisions is 18 due to the way Strength belts were modified.

She's still really good though.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I believe Druids with IR are allowed to equip the dragon platemails, but since I kinda fudged up installing other mods to still allow Druids to wear helmets and shields, I'm not entirely sure. Some comfirmation would be good.
    Yep, within IR druids follow PnP rules and can wear even heavy armor as long as it's made of natural materials and not metal. So within IR they can wear all dragon armors, as well as ankheg plate and ashen scale armor.

Furthermore, they cannot wear metal helmet and shield (I noticed you had concerns on this matter), but you can have Jaheira equip both Dragon helm and Dragon Scale Shield, not to mention there are wooden bucklers and light shields, as well as a specific druid-oriented shield you should have already found (reward from one Umar Hill's quest). When it comes to helmets instead the Dragon Helm one is the only non-metal one, but Ioun Stones are quite good imo (for Jaheira I'd suggest either Trueblood's one or the regenerating one, which is greatly improved within IR).
    It's too bad the highest Strength Jaheira can ever achieve without short-duration buffs (or shorter-duration potions) in Item Revisions is 18 due to the way Strength belts were modified.
    Try using SR's Strength of Stone, it's just a 1st lvl spell but can give her base STR 18/50 for 1 hour!

BG1 Items
    @korodullin, I want to apology for the apparent lack of overall attention to BG1. I do tried to make items balanced even for BG1 (e.g. see Spider's Bane changes for example), but it's much harder there because even very lightly enchanted items that within BG2 you wouldn't even consider can be OP within BG1. Ages ago you complained about me putting Rift Hammer within BG1 (Bassilus), or that combining Cloak of the Wolf with IR's Vampire's Revenge removed the latter's drawback. Regarding the Hammer, it's as good as Varscona in theory (I just wanted to give at least 1 unique specimen for weapon type), but we do have a problem if it's really soo easily obtainable (I thought SCS was making it hard to get). Regarding the cursed sword instead I may simply increase the rate at which it drains wielder's hit points to be sure it's not so easily countered. Anyway, this is valid in general but even more for BG1, if you think an items is OP or broken just let me know (within my forums if possible, but I'll take a look here too from now on), nothing within Revisions mods is writen in stone and if you visited my forums you probably noticed that I like to involve players as much as I can in the making of them.

P.S Still investigating on Death Knights, they work fine on my install so finding what's wrong on yours is difficult. We'll see.

Demivrgvs on
    korodullin, tell me your dragon killing secrets because I am absolutely terrible at taking them on in bg2. absolutely terrible.

huntresssig.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arivia wrote: »
    So I decided to keep Viconia, but I'm still torn on Jaheira. It certainly didn't help that I misclicked and deep-sixed the romance by accident.

I currently have: Keldorn, Mazzy, Aerie, Viconia, and a M/T protagonist. Problem is, if I replace Jaheira, who do I replace her with? Cernd is Cernd, Imoen is a third mage, and Anomen is bleh.

Why is Jan Jansen not at your service?

EDIT: And don't say, "Because Charname is a Mage/Thief." What kind of ridiculous answer is that?

Dracomicron on
    Edwin, obviously. I didn't know there was such a thing as a BG2 party with no Edwin.

sig.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Nice quick interview with Oster on the PAR, mostly about the iOS version: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/baldurs-gate-on-the-ipad-omg

iPad version will be $10, shooting for 1.1 GB, with a plan to release additional content.

So I decided to keep Viconia, but I'm still torn on Jaheira. It certainly didn't help that I misclicked and deep-sixed the romance by accident.

I currently have: Keldorn, Mazzy, Aerie, Viconia, and a M/T protagonist. Problem is, if I replace Jaheira, who do I replace her with? Cernd is Cernd, Imoen is a third mage, and Anomen is bleh.

EDIT: And don't say, "Because Charname is a Mage/Thief." What kind of ridiculous answer is that?

Cause he pretty much bores the pants off me. Just doesn't interest me at all.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

:shock:

...what? Jan makes stories about turnips interesting. And he's an incredibly effective character, to boot.

edited April 2012
    korodullin, tell me your dragon killing secrets because I am absolutely terrible at taking them on in bg2. absolutely terrible.

most dragons really can be killed by hitting it with your weapons until about draconis. shadow dragon has to be dispelled, it casts protection from magical weapons. I've never noticed breach removing stoneskin on them, it doesn't work on everything(like demogorgon is immune to all spells lv5 and below)

alternate method: sequencer with 2x lower resists and greater malasion, then cast finger of death

don't plan on having keldorn and viconia in your party unless you have modded it. you might have noticed how keldron feels about drows when you meet viconia.

Jars on
    edited April 2012
    Demivrgvs wrote: »
    Try using SR's Strength of Stone, it's just a 1st lvl spell but can give her base STR 18/50 for 1 hour!

It also halves her movement rate and the only way to counter that is with Haste, since the Boots of Speed won't do anything. It's the main reason I don't use the spell.

And as for the helmets, I think I used the Trueblood's stone on her last I played with IR, which wasn't bad I suppose. Also, I know it was mentioned in the IR feedback thread, but I'll repeat it here just for the sake of repeating it: the Dragon Helm's fire resistance is listed as 20% on the item's info card, but is only 10% in-game.

@korodullin, I want to apology for the apparent lack of overall attention to BG1. I do tried to make items balanced even for BG1 (e.g. see Spider's Bane changes for example), but it's much harder there because even very lightly enchanted items that within BG2 you wouldn't even consider can be OP within BG1. Ages ago you complained about me putting Rift Hammer within BG1 (Bassilus), or that combining Cloak of the Wolf with IR's Vampire's Revenge removed the latter's drawback. Regarding the Hammer, it's as good as Varscona in theory (I just wanted to give at least 1 unique specimen for weapon type), but we do have a problem if it's really soo easily obtainable (I thought SCS was making it hard to get). Regarding the cursed sword instead I may simply increase the rate at which it drains wielder's hit points to be sure it's not so easily countered. Anyway, this is valid in general but even more for BG1, if you think an items is OP or broken just let me know (within my forums if possible, but I'll take a look here too from now on), nothing within Revisions mods is writen in stone and if you visited my forums you probably noticed that I like to involve players as much as I can in the making of them.

@Demivrgvs I wouldn't apologize about BG1. Overall I was more or less pleased with how BG1's Item Revisions stuff turned out. Vampire's Revenge + Cloak of the Wolf was powerful, but it wasn't overpowered. Khalid could still easily die and he had absolutely no flexibility with regards to ranged attacking with it equipped, which is a huge drawback in a game that heavily favors bows all by itself. It mostly just kept him from having to chug a ton of healing potions and not die simply from crossing an area. I actually used the Cursed Sword of Berserking.

As much as I hate to admit it, though, the Rift Hammer trivialized swaths of BG1. SCS's beefed-up Nashkel Mines with swarms of 30-40 kobolds? A single proc from the hammer could kill a dozen or more at a time. It was insanity. Bassilus still isn't all that tough with SCS even with Cleric prebuffs since the worst things he can really do are Unholy Blight and have the hammer's combat ability go off. I'm not sure what unique hammer you'd replace the Rift Hammer with, though. It trivializes BG1 but it's not anywhere close to overpowered in BG2. Wrath of Tyr maybe, even though its name is a little odd for the wielder? It still does around the same bonus damage as the Rift Hammer's combat ability, but against just a single target. It'd still be a really strong weapon, but it wouldn't be capable of killing so many enemies at once. I know a few fights in BG1, like the Iron Throne fight in Candlekeep, were made so simple by the shock wave hitting multiple enemies. It could put 2-3 named humans into close to Near Dead status, while the Wrath of Tyr would have to do it one at a time.

On a personal note, though, I'd kill for a list of where Store Revisions moves a lot of stuff to in BG2. I'm pretty good at remembering to check some of the less-visited stores, but I'd have been kind of annoyed if I had played a Paladin or something and found out much later on that the Girdle of Beatification (which replaces one of the +STR belts) was only obtainable by Fighters who got the De'Arnise keep, since it's now on the Cleric of Tempus that you can bring in many weeks later.

Make sure everyone is 90-100% protected against the dragon's breath no matter what. Even if you have to sacrifice spell slots for it, ensure they're protected - do not settle for 25-50% from a potion or item, as exemplified by Xan in my previous posts. The Shadow Dragon in the Umar Hills will kill a person who is not protected against its breath in one hit, guaranteed, even if they make their saves. Keep moving. Always keep everyone either moving or ready to move at a moment's notice, especially your mages. Have summons take the first hits if possible. If you can, mix a summon that's immune to the dragon's breath with something that isn't; Aerial Servants make fantastic second summons to send in. Don't try to tank the thing. Have a couple melee types dart in and out, getting in a few swings and move them out when they take too much damage and have them heal; the dragon will usually switch to a new target. Always have at least one person able to kite the thing using something like the Boots of Speed and keep them protected against whatever breath the dragon has, even if it means having to keep them out of most of the fight to avoid being dispelled. Archers aren't a terrible idea for this, but stealth-capable characters do much better since dragon AI will immediately turn around to focus on a backstabber. Lower their magic resistance. Do a Pierce Magic followed by a Lower Resistance spell. Doom and Greater Malison after that are significant aids too. Magic Missiles and lightning bolts fuck dragons up. Flame arrows too, if it's not Firkraag or another red dragon. As I mentioned in the recap, Insect Plague can also do wonders if you can land it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png

...what? Jan makes stories about turnips interesting. And he's an incredibly effective character, to boot.

Jan's brand of humor isn't for everyone. After this playthrough I'm probably going to put him on the backburner for future plays for a while, if only to avoid getting Jan'd-out, like I did with Minsc.

ZvOMJnu.png
    dragons only breathe on people if no one is in melee range. space out to avoid getting hit by wing buffets and you should be able to keep someone in melee.

Jars wrote: »

most dragons really can be killed by hitting it with your weapons until about draconis. shadow dragon has to be dispelled, it casts protection from magical weapons. I've never noticed breach removing stoneskin on them, it doesn't work on everything(like demogorgon is immune to all spells lv5 and below)

alternate method: sequencer with 2x lower resists and greater malasion, then cast finger of death

don't plan on having keldorn and viconia in your party unless you have modded it. you might have noticed how keldron feels about drows when you meet viconia.

When they named Draconis after my forum handle and I actually did the fight, I winced, because I knew that people were going to be instinctively pissed at me because he's a complete bastard. Invisible dragon? Really, guys?

dragons only breathe on people if no one is in melee range.

Are you sure about that? Even in vanilla BG2 I seem to remember my melee people being breathed on. Dragons in SCS, though, will happily use their breath attack on any target they please. The Shadow Dragon used its breath on Mazzy even though Jaheira and Callic were right there in melee and one of the first things Firkraag does after his initial buffing Sequencer is to use his breath on whatever's meleeing him.

At any rate, my advice was from the perspective of someone playing with SCS, but it still generally applies to normal BG2 though it'll likely be a bit of overpreparation.

ZvOMJnu.png
    Yeah I'm fairly sure they don't breath on people in melee range. The problem you usually have is everyone getting slammed by wing buffet, stunned, and then breath attack spam.

sig.gif
    Chapter 3 completed. One of the shortest chapters, but very rich in XP and I managed to pad it out with a couple rewarding side trips.

First order of business was to take the key from Windspear Hills and clean out the Mind Flayer lair in the Temple District sewers. SCS beefs up Mind Flayers a fair bit, giving them a wider range of psionic powers and makes them significantly more magic-resistant. They're still fairly good spellcasters and are always invisible unless they act or you have True Sight running; the Detect Illusion thieving skill only makes them appear for a short second before they disappear again. That said, they're usually not that bad if you can give at least a fair portion of your group Chaotic Commands and possibly Free Action to keep their stun effect from leaving them wide open for their brains to get sucked out. They, of course, retain the ability to cause INT damage on any successful melee attack - this is why you never, ever use INT as a dump stat in BG2.

The first room was fairly simple, with a group of mentally enslaved humans, an umber hulk, and two invisible Flayers. Teleport Field renders the fight pretty easy, nullifying pretty much all of the enemies' spellcasting while also making the instant Dimension Door-ing all Illithid are capable of largely useless. The Umber Hulk went down first, and Mazzy happily wrecked both Flayers with arrows. The next room was largely similar, except there were no humans and more Mind Flayers, including a couple more dangerous Ulitharid. Still, they went down without much trouble, Shapiro landing a couple brutal backstabs.

The final room, however, was significantly more dangerous, with two Umber Hulks, about four or five more Mind Flayers... and an Alhoon, which is basically a Mind Flayer Lich, though SCS cheats a bit and doesn't consider them undead. Lacking any more Teleport Fields, Jaheira opted instead to lay down a couple Ice Storms while Callic tossed down a Fire Storm. This pretty much ensured the two Hulks croaked and still did significant damage to the Flayers. The Alhoon, however, was not impressed and refused to move, preferring intstead to layer more and more buffs on top of itself. A couple Flayers insta-ported into my waiting party and were summarily wrecked, and the remaining ones that decided to approach the party the hard way were filled with arrows by Mazzy. The Alhoon never moved. Xan inched forward, still protected by his ubersword's invisibility, and launched a Remove Magic at the thing, taking down most of its protections. He barely made it back to the party before the Alhoon's Mind Blast caught up to him and stunned him, but the Alhoon didn't follow. It summoned a Glabrezu instead, and that teleported to the party in its place. It hit like a truck but went down without too much trouble, though Jaheira had to blow one of her Heal spells on it. Another round of Remove Magic and the Alhoon finally got sick of faffing about and came down in time to eat a few more dispels, a bunch of Magic Missiles, and some weapons to the face.

I then went ahead and finished up the tasks for Aran Linvail of the Shadow Thieves, first doing the quick vampire fight at the dock followed by the even quicker traitor fight in the Five Flagons. After that, it was off to the Gravyeard District. Once there, I raided a few tombs I neglected to even bother with before now, and went into the main tomb dungeon. I didn't bother with the sidequest area Korgan and Edwin send you to, only doing a quick detour to off Pai'na and her spiders. The vampire tomb proved little trouble overall, the Mace of Disruption proving its worth again and again, Shapiro happily backstabbing all the vampires he could to make up for not being able to sneak attack undead in Third Edition. Vampires poofed and were staked, the Vampire's Revenge sword grabbed from the blood pool (which was a nice touch; it's arguably even more powerful in BG2 than in BG1 due to a single Ring of Regeneration compensating for its curse effect. On a longsword-spec Kensai it'd be fantastic for a long time). I tried out Control Undead for the first time to hilarious effect, with all three vampires in the chamber before Bodhi's (currently empty) coffin coming immediately under Callic's control and happily killing their dread wolf allies before standing around like good little dominated critters and letting me kill them with no repercussions. The final vampire, Lassal, went down in a couple of Mace of Disruption swings, but not before I had to reload a couple of times due to the invisible spike traps in the room killing Shapiro and Jan while scouting. The Bodhi miniboss fight after staking Lassal was more brutal than I had remembered, her new Death Touch power doing massive damage to my entire party and sending all but Callic, Mazzy (thanks to the Dragon helm), and Xan to sleep. Xan managed to launch a couple flame arrows into her to send her packing and I returned to Aran for my reward.

Instead of going straight off to Brynnlaw, though, I did a couple more things. First, I took Jan's gear and switched him out for Yoshimo (for the usual reasons) and then I took a quick side trip to Watcher's Keep.

The Keep in general is way out of my league at the moment, especially modified by SCS, but the first floor is still (barely) doable by a 15-16th level party and has enough loot to make it worth the effort. After the introductions and MacGuffin-acquiring were out of the way, I set to work clearing out the first floor room by room, largely using Jaheira, Callic, and Yoshimo for trap- and lock-busting. The normal enemies are pretty much cake, including the golems, and judicious use of traps ensured that the first set of 4 activated statues weren't that big of a threat. The second set, of eight, were a totally different story. Most of the statues were hard-hitting but otherwise largely non-threatening melee fodder, and a Teleport Field rendered them a non-issue while Jaheira and Mazzy took them apart. Two statues in particular, though, were a different story. One of them, a spear-wielding warrior, had access to Fighter HLAs, namely Whirlwind Attack. Combined with being a high-level attacker, the statue beat the absolute stuffing out of Callic before finally falling to a backstab and a billion arrows from Mazzy, after having to be kited through some traps Yoshimo scrambled to set in a different hallway. The other statue, a mage, was probably close to a 25th-level caster and had access to about four full sets of refreshed buffs, including Stoneskin, Absolute Immunity, Spell Immunity: Abjuration (I cannot wait for Spell Revisions v4 to remove Spell Immunity). Xan and Callic spent every dispelling effect they could lay hands on to get that thing into a state where it could be damaged, and a Time Stop could've ruined everything had the statue done something offensive rather than rebuffing again. It was still a massive pain, and I had to split my party in two and hide in side rooms while some of her more powerful buffs wore off before she could go down. In hindsight, I should've had Shapiro or Mazzy kite the statue while I grabbed the loot and bolted.

Either way, it's now off to Chapter 4, Brynnlaw, and Spellhold!

Lots and lots of loot this time, mostly from Watcher's Keep:

Hammer of Thunderbolts +3
    EjvkZaGG

Originally a plain +3 war hammer, Item Revisions gives it an extra bit of lightning damage to give it a bit more oomph. The main reason for getting it, of course, is that it's one of the components to make Crom Faeyr. On Callic, naturally, though I might not use it that often as lightning damage is a surprisingly common immunity at this point in the game.

Girdle of Beatification
    eCvPpJJM

Replaces the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, which set STR to 19 in vanilla and, in earlier Item Revsisions versions, added +2 STR (I think). It's been changed completely this time around to provide a permanent Bless effect, which provides largely the same bonuses to damage and THAC0 as the old +2 STR did before, but with a couple extras. Store Revisions also moves it from the Adventurer's Mart to the Cleric of Tempus in the De'Arnise Keep, meaning that it's impossible for a non-Fighter to obtain from what I can tell. Currently on Jaheira, who gets the most benefit from it with her 15 STR.

Amulet of Power
    BTjud1du

Completely changed from vanilla, the Amulet no longer gives a boost to casting speed (the Amulet of Metaspell Influence takes care of that), Negative Plane Protection, and a tiny boost to magic resist, instead becoming a necklace version of the Ring of Wizardry plus the Ring of Holiness, with a very rare effect (bonus to caster level) to boot. The first and last word in neckwear for Aerie whom I am sadly missing this run. Currently on Xan, but will probably shift to Imoen once I pick her back up.

Namarra +2
    HQIU25MA

The other Wizard Slayer longsword and available as soon as you leave Irenicus' dungeon, Namarra remains a nice +2 weapon and its Silence 15' Radius effect is now on every hit instead of three times per day. Immunity to spells like Command is actually quite powerful, especially considering how Greater Command makes enemy Clerics a very high threat. Sold for money, it would be nice to have around if I had a dedicated longsword-wielder, but Mazzy doesn't go melee often enough to justify keeping it.

Trueblood's Ioun Stone
    mtIY3KzZ

Renamed but otherwise identical to the Pale Green Ioun Stone from vanilla, this little beauty is sitting on Shapiro, giving him a much-needed boost to THAC0 and, most importantly, a helmet at long last. I would've normally put this on Xan for the boosted HP, but percentage bonus to HP effects play havoc when mixed with items that grant flat bonuses to HP, like the +20 HP from his belt or the +10 from his robe, and the hassle isn't worth the +7 HP it would net him.

Ashen Scales +2
    9aLYWY9o

Mentioned mostly because Demi also mentioned it, Item Revisions doesn't do much for it beyond granting it immunity to Poison, which is, admittedly, not a bad ability. It's a pretty good set of armor for a druid or Jaheira regardless, hampered mostly by the fact that it comes relatively late in the game, being outclassed by easier-to-obtain armors like the Ankheg platemail.

Firetooth +4
    TvB2W7Jo

Mechanically similar to how it worked in vanilla, Item Revisions mostly cleans up Firetooth's messy and confusing list of effects relating to its infinite supply of fire projectiles. Now considered +4 projectiles, they do more overall damage than before and generally make up for the crossbow being unable to fire normal bolts anymore. Shapiro's ranged weapon of choice, though I do keep a different crossbow on hand just in case I need to shoot bolts that aren't fire.

Crimson Dart +3
    s0IRWm0L

Similar to the original, Item Revisions adds an extra 1d3 damage to make it a little nicer to use. On Xan for lack of a better person and to give him a non-magic ranged attack, it'll probably see about as much use as the Returning Frost Dart from Tales of the Sword Coast did; i.e. none.

Blessed Bracers
    qxRCxqJ9

I happened to have the gems lying around and plenty of money, so I had Cromwell go ahead and upgrade the Paladin's Bracers from the first level of the Keep. The first immediately noticeable difference is that Clerics can now use the Bracers as well, which is very nice. Item Revisions also adds +2 THAC0 (the Paladin's Bracers have +1) and +1 to saves, but changes one of the on-use abilities from Cure Critical Wounds to Righteous Fury once/day. Overall a huge improvement and a great boon to Callic.

Case of Plenty +3
    D2BOjDp9

Like the Blessed Bracers, I had the stuff for the Case of Plenty upgrade on hand, so I had Cromwell soup these up too. I did not expect the upgrade to be +3, though; vanilla only brought them up to +2. Extremely handy, and on Shapiro for times when Firetooth's fire damage can't come into play. But wait, if the Case of Plenty got upgraded to +3, then that must also mean...

Quiver of Plenty +3
    9J7PBhrI

...oh hell yes. Mazzy, already a powerhouse of ranged destruction that was only stopped by enemies that were immune to arrows below +2 enchantment, is now a nigh-unstoppable powerhouse of ranged destruction. With a simple +1 bow (Tuigan's), she's still sitting at -6 THAC0 and 5 attacks per round. That's insane.

Golem Manual
    j2nE7tvy

Always a nice little toy, and Flesh Golems are pretty strong, though they can't take a lot of punishment. When I find the bits to upgrade it, it'll be much better.

Usuno's Blade +3
    74qYyAT7

Switched (obviously) from Scimitar proficiency to Short Sword and its enchantment level lowered by 1, it's still given an overall buff compared to vanilla, which only had a low (10%) chance of doing 2d10 lightning damage. Shapiro's new main hand weapon, though it appears to be slightly bugged and is only giving +2 THAC0 instead of the +3 it should be. I must also admit it's slightly distressing seeing Usuno's lowered to a +3 weapon while the Short Sword of Mask is moved to parts unknown, since that means that unless you have Rogue Rebalancing, there are now no short swords of a higher than +3 enchantment level in all of SoA, and only one in (I assume) ToB.

Foebane +4
    i90RNMoB

Item Revisions raises its enchantment level by one (while lowering its THAC0 and damage bonuses by 1), gives it a bonus to saving throws, and a life drain ability to bring it more in line with the PnP version - incidentally, this also makes it nearly identical to, but slightly weaker than, than the vanilla +5 upgraded Foebane. Its favored enemies are not super common, but still nice to have the sword around for. The upgraded version is a pretty significant boost compared to vanilla's. Sadly, like Carsomyr and a bunch of other things, I have nobody that can use this. Siiiiiiiiiigh.

ZvOMJnu.png
    Someone remind me what happens when you put 2 points in longswords, then dual class and put another 2 points in longswords before getting your old class levels back. They're just wasted right?

sig.gif
    edited April 2012
    I think they stack, but I could be wrong. I can test it really fast though.

Edit: Nope, don't stack, and thus wasted.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the funniest thing about draconis is that he's hasted; hasted dragons look hilarious in-engine

iirc dragons have some special version of stoneskin that can't be breached off them, but a couple of dual wielders clear it quickly enough

I just kept a sequencer around with breach/lower resistance/lower resistance. Hit a dragon with one or two of those and you can more or less just go to town on them.

failing that you can always spam summoned monsters

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    also the everybody-hates-each-other party is the best of all possible parties;. I think like, Viconia/Keldorn/Edwin/Minsc/Aerie? I forget.

Sure they all want to kill each other by chapter three, but by then you can kill a lot of things on your own anyway

my only regret was that they didn't all pair off and fight tag team style

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited April 2012
    aerie doesn't fight anyone, but she will leave if you have korgan. pretty sure valygar will fight viconia.

I liked the evil party with jaheira tagging along because she holds her own against them pretty well. add in jan/harry for additional antics

Jars on
    korgan and mazzie are also pretty great, although I never found much reason to use mazzie

I don't remember valygar and viconia fighting; I think he fights edwin thogh, right?

NREqxl5.jpg
    aerie doesn't fight anyone, but she will leave if you have korgan. pretty sure valygar will fight viconia.

I liked the evil party with jaheira tagging along because she holds her own against them pretty well. add in jan/harry for additional antics

Jaheira is pretty great, even if her harper subquests make me want to mail Bioware retroactively copies of FOR4 and Cloak and Dagger and staple them to the writer's head

huntresssig.jpg
    Both Keldorn and Minsc will fight Edwin and I believe both Valygar and Keldorn will fight Viconia as well. I don't think anyone but Aerie has a problem with Korgan.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I was walking through the Bridge District with Keldorn and Viconia in my party about to go do the Twisted Rune fight (still chapter 2, it's not going to be fun). We fight a group of thugs that popped up, no big deal.

Then, Keldorn had apparently had enough of Viconia's drow-ie-ness, because then he shouts something about it and proceeds to wreck her face, chunking her in the process. I laughed for so long about how random it seemed that I forgot to reload. Guess I'm going to dual class my Wizard Slayer to Cleric, now.

edited April 2012
    So SCS apparently expects you to beat a lich in Spellhold with nothing but conjured +3 weapons and no gear. :|

Edit: Haha nevermind, the Control Undead spell is AMAZING.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Yeah I'm fairly sure they don't breath on people in melee range.

Yeah they do - mods might change that but by default they will certainly use their breath weapon in melee combat. One of my worst ever battles in BG2 started when that damn Silver Dragon decided to use her breath weapon (which has the ability to gib characters) on my party. I lost Korgan and Viconia (two melee characters) instantly and you can imagine the rest of the fight went just as badly. Amazingly, I still pulled out a win and then had to decide if I continued playing the game or reload like a giant pussy.

I am nobodies giant pussy if you're wondering. I still finished that game and the expansion too. SUCK THAT DRAGON. But yes, Dragons CAN use their breath weapon in melee combat without doing a wing buffet first (which when I first played BG2 used to slow my computer to a whopping 2 FPS - ah the good old days).
    Find your own fucking eggs

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    SUCK THAT DRAGON

But...but he's so big.

Punctuation matters to me, dammit!

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    SUCK THAT DRAGON

But...but he's so big.

Punctuation matters to me, dammit!

It was never about the size to Korgan, it's about doing whatever I told him to do or we'd practice some more impromptu dwarf tossing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.