As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] 2012 Challenge Coins - Sold Out

SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of DestructionRegistered User regular
edited December 2012 in PAX West
PAX Prime 2012 Challenge Coin Design
img6399.jpg

Welcome to the design phase of this year’s Pax Prime challenge coin. A challenge coin is a unique souvenir that will display your participation in this year’s event. Each Pax an unoffical coin is designed specifically for the event by this community.
As karmakappa put it:
karmakappa wrote:
To be clear, this is a PAX attendee thing, not a forumer thing. It's a group of people getting together to make a tangible object that says, "I was involved with PAX". If you can earn a challenge coin for being sprayed in the face with pepper spray, you can surely get one for this. The true goal of challenge coins is to recognize membership in a group of people, and if are involved with PAX, you meet the criteria for the coin.
We are starting this process as soon as possible this year to make sure we get the coins in time for the event.

Update December 3:
Sold out, all gone, no more for you
All the coins are gone.

Update September 4:
Shipping for those that didn't pick up their coin
If you didn't pick up your coin this past weekend you will need to pay for shipping.
Please send $6 (this is not per coin, $6 will ship your whole order) to my PayPal account matthewryanallen@hotmail.com

Update August 15:
SOLD OUT
All 400 coins are sold and there will not be any more Stand By list. Any that become available will be sold at PAX on a first come first served basis and will likely happen Saturday or Sunday. Please follow me on twitter @Skelevader if you are interested.

Also, please make sure to choose your Will Call Agent if you haven't done so already.
If you don't choose one you will by default be picking up from me.

Update July 27th:
Pick Your Will Call Agent

Head over to this Google Form and make your selection.

For detailed info about each Will Call Agent open the spoiler below:
I just sent an E-mail to everyone on the Will Call list giving information on how to pick up your coin(s) at Pax. If you did not get the E-mail here is what it said:

This will serve as instructions on how to pick up your Will Call coin(s) during Pax.
I have chosen five forum members to help hand out the coins and it is up to you to chose who you would like to get your coin from. To help facilitate your choice I will post their basic schedule here so you can decide. After you have made your decision you will then head over to this Google Form and make your selection.

To pick up your coin(s) from your Will Call Agent you will need to locate them during Pax and provide your forum name (or real name if you don't have one) and your invoice number. If you have lost your invoice number contact me and I will get it to you.

Here are the Will Call Agents & their schedules.

BaghdadBean
Is an Enforcer, but won't know exact schedule until later. Most likely will be working late shift and line management. And says will try and work LM on Friday morning as well. Will be attending the Rooster Teeth panel and will be available for any late night folks at one point or another.
Will update location via twitter throughout Pax. Follow here: @BaghdadBean
Will be at 0330 Waffles most every night Friday-Sunday.

Crogoth
Will be heading up via the Pax train arriving Thursday evening around 8:45pm, then heading to the TWDT followed by the pre-pax gaming night.
The events that are concrete are attending the headlining concerts, Omegathon events, & tabletop free play / PC free play. Will be doing Buttoneering & attending the after Pax Buttoneering meet up. Will be tweeting location. Follow here: @Classy_DM

Jenny_Spaghetti
Will be at the PPD and the TWDT on Thursday night. Will also be attending the Girls' brunch & PPP on Sunday. During Pax a good amount of time will be spent in the BYOC area.
Will be tweeting location when in lines & will be super easy to find at the front due to a med pass. Follow here: @Jenny_Spaghetti

punzie
Runs the MMT Wednesday & Thursday. Will be at the pre Pax dinner Thursday night and probably the TWDT after that. May be available Friday morning depending on what work has to be done for the Cookie Brigade. Will likely help work the concert for Cookie Brigade Friday night and can hand out coins at the same time. Will be on two panels Saturday evening (crafting & Cookie Brigade) so if anyone is attending those, hand offs may be possible immediately after each panel. Sunday evening will be at the Sheraton playing games after Pax closes.
Can also hand out coins anytime when distributing for the Cookie Brigade and will tweet when available. Follow here: @sewingpunzie
Will also be at the Girls Brunch on Sunday.

skarsol
Will be at the TWDT in Ravenclaw and at the Buttoneers meet up Sunday at 6. Has also volunteered to devote a half hour each day to hang out in one spot (most likely the Que room) so people can have a predetermined time and location to pick up coins. The time will be announced once the schedule comes out.

SkeleVader
Will be attending the Pre Pax Board Game Night at the Sheraton on Thursday night. During Pax, will devote a half hour each day to hang out in one spot (most likely the Que room) for people to have a predetermined time and location to pick up coins. Will also tweet location when standing in lines. After Pax will be attending the Post Pax Party on Sunday night and will be taking the return trip of the Pax Train (Just to Olympia). Follow here: @SkeleVader

Now that you have read the schedule of each Agent, please use this Google Form to select who you would like to pick up your coin(s) from.

Update July 26th:
Child's Play Coins
We have set up a ChipIn account to raise the funds to purchase another run of coins. Currently we have about $150 surplus in the account so that means we need about $200 to purchase another 100 coins.
During Pax these coins will be available to purchase at a higher price point then they were available here and all the money will go to Child's Play.
Please follow this link if you are willing to help get this run of coins made: http://childsplaychallengecoins.chipin.com/pax-coins-childs-play
No donations were received, so no coins were ordered for this purpose.

Update July 10th:
Volunteer recruitment
Since we are at the end of the ordering process I would like to open up the search for volunteers to hand out the coins at Pax.
I am looking for 4 or 5 people that would be willing to donate some time each day to be available to hand out coins. If you are interested please send me a PM and tell me what you think your rough schedule will be at Pax. Are you attending community events? Are you an Enforcer? etc...?
Please be 18 or over.

Volunteers have been chosen. A big THANKS to all who stepped forward.

If anyone who was involved in the Pax East coin distribution can give tips to make things go smoothly, it would be greatly appreciated.

Update July 9th:
Stand-By List Again
I have received the next batch of 150 coins, All 350 coins are now reserved. However, there have been a few people that did not pay for their coins. This means that I will start canceling those orders and moving the coins to the next person on the list.
Also, if we get a big enough demand for another run of coins I have no problem ordering more, but it cant be only a handful of people.
Once again, here is the link to get on the stand-by list: Form (Sold Out as of 8/15/2012)

Update June 5th:
Order Your Coins
I received the first run of 200 coins and am ready to order the next 200 coins. Right now there are about 100 spoken for from the people on the stand-by list so that means right now we have 100 coins available.
If you want a Coin(s) you will need to Form (Sold Out as of 8/15/2012), I will then send you an invoice shortly after and as long as it is paid in a reasonable amount of time you will be guaranteed your order.

Update May 13th:
Stand-by List
The initial run of 200 coins has been spoken for. If you would like a coin and didn't make this run please fill out the Form (Sold Out as of 8/15/2012) to go on the stand-by list. If there is enough demand we will do another run.
Also, I have lifted the 5 coin limit. You may order up to 10 at a time now, if you want more than that let me know and I'll add it to the spreadsheet.
If you ordered 5 coins in the initial run and want more you can go ahead and submit your name again to go on the stand-by list.

Update May 7th:
Pre-Order
Pricing:
I have decided to roll the die cost into the price of the coin since it comes close to a nice even number. Coins will be $5 each if picked up at Will Call and an extra $6 (total $11) if you want it shipped (No international shipping).
Edit: Shipping is $6 for your entire order, not per coin. So if you order 5 coins it will be $25 to pick up at will call and $31 to ship.

Please fill out This Order Form (Sold Out as of 8/15/2012) to reserve your coin(s). The first run will be 200 coins and you will be able to order a max of 5. If demand is high enough we will have more made and you can order more if you want.

Note: This is only a reservation, your coin is guaranteed as long as payment is received with in a reasonable time after I post the payment method.

If you have any questions post them here, or E-mail me at paxprime2012challengecoin@gmail.com

History:
This will be the fifth coin this community has produced:
Prime 2010, East 2011, Prime 2011, East 2012

Design:
Update May 23rd:
Here is the Final Product,
i4ihvn.jpg
Old Design Info:
Update May 8th:
Final Concept Art:
3536o0l.jpg
We will be using a coin size of 1.75", milled (or reeded) edges, & an antique finish similar to the Pax 2010 coin. During the design of the front & back we will decide if we want color or not.
There are a few key points we will need to discuss to get us started:
1. The size of the coin:
Last year a mistake was made and the Prime 2011 coins were 2”. The Prime 2010 coin and all the East coins are 1.75”. I feel we should go back to the 1.75” size since 3 out of four of the coins are this size.
2. Edge style:
Smooth edge or milled edge? The milled edge has been the preferred choice so far and I think we should stick with it.
3. Coin finish:
The first Prime coin had an antique finish, but last year we went to a nickel finish. Everyone seems to really like the antique finish and I think we should use again. To solve the issue with distinguishing the coins between Prime & East at a glance, I had the idea of incorporating a ring of color. Click here for example
This addition would add a minimal cost, but the final product would be greatly improved.
Once these basic choices are decided we can move on to designing the coin itself.

For the face of the coin we will use the standard Welcome Home / pac-man / Numquam Mentula Es encircling a design. The design is always something that relates to Pax / Gaming. We have had a hand holding up a DS (like is done during Pax concerts), dice & cards to signify tabletop gaming, a D-pad for console gaming, and an arcade cabinet with space invaders on the side.

For the reverse we always use a prominent feature of the host city. For Prime we have used the Space Needle & the Convention Center. For East they have used the Paul Revere statue & the USS Constitution.
It should be mentioned now that since this is an unofficial coin we cannot use any Pax logos or any images of Gabe & Tycho.

Manufacturing:
Update: We are using Phoenix Challenge Coins to produce our coin, due to the work they did on the East 2012 coin.
Currently I am looking at using Phoenix Challenge Coins due to the work they have done for us on the East 2012 coin. I will be contacting Eric shortly and getting information from him.

Schedule:
This will be a rough schedule to keep us on track until I get hard dates from Eric.

Basic design points finalized: April 20th. Complete
Design Finalized on our end; submit to artist for any modifications needed: May 18th. Complete
Collect chip-in money for die production & fill out Google form for how many people will order: May 18th thru June 22nd. Complete
Final design submitted, die production started: June 22nd. Complete
Coin production starts: July 6th. Complete
Coins ship out: August 3rd.

Questions
If you have any questions please post them here.

IhtGIyi.png
SkeleVader on

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SkeleVader wrote:
    PAX Prime 2012 Challenge Coin Design

Design:
    There are a few key points we will need to discuss to get us started:
    1. The size of the coin:
    Last year a mistake was made and the Prime 2011 coins were 2”. The Prime 2010 coin and all the East coins are 1.75”. I feel we should go back to the 1.75” size since 3 out of four of the coins are this size.
    2. Edge style:
    Smooth edge or milled edge? The milled edge has been the preferred choice so far and I think we should stick with it.
    3. Coin finish:
    The first Prime coin had an antique finish, but last year we went to a nickel finish. Everyone seems to really like the antique finish and I think we should use again. To solve the issue with distinguishing the coins between Prime & East at a glance, I had the idea of incorporating a ring of color. Click here for example
    This addition would add a minimal cost, but the final product would be greatly improved.
    1. 1.75 is a good size. it fits well into the hand and is easy to show the details of the coin.
    2. I like the milled edge, gives characteristic to it. and again, it fits well in the hand.
    3. I like the idea of adding color, but would it be jarringly different from the previous coins? Should we stick with something that flows well with the previous coins?

KellyShepard087 on
    - Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular
    1. I agree with the smaller, 1.75" size.
    2. Milled edges add a bit to coins, IMO.
    3. I really, really like the antique finish and really don't care for color.

Twitter: @tea_bird
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    1.75"
    Milled edges
    I wouldn't mind a splash of color

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    1. I'd go with 1.75" for consistency
    2. I'd definitely prefer milled edges
    3. I can't comment on the finishes too much, but some I personally think some color could be nice, although I imagine some won't be too fond of it.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    1.75'', milled, not a fan of color personally. :)

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    1. I like the 1.75" size.
    2. Milled edges please!
    3. I like the antique finish better. And I really don't like the idea of adding colour, it makes the coin look tacky.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I like that we're starting early.

1.75 size, mill 'em up! and no color

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Starting earlier is definitely nice. :)

1.75 edge for me also, milled edges are nice, I'm ambivalent on color, with maybe a slight preference towards no color.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Milled
    I prefer no colour, though an antique finish would be fine and classy.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    1.75 mill edge with no colour. I like the idea of PAXEast being Nickel and PAXPrime being Antique. But I have a feeling that rule may have already been broken.

Also, make sure that the cases the coin come in don't rub the coin like the PAXEast 2012's do. They're beautiful coins but they're a bit scratched from the li'l plastic cases.

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Based on the comments so far we will use the 1.75" size, milled (or reeded) edges, and the antique finish.

For color, it looks like we have most people not wanting to see it, with a few either liking it or not minding it. If we don't get anymore people who want color then we will move ahead without it.

If anyone has any strong objections to this let us know and we will discuss it some more. To be fair to those who don't check the forums regularly, we will stick to the current schedule and move onto the actual design this Friday April 20th.

So start thinking about what you want to see represented.

IhtGIyi.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Missed these at East and am kicking myself. They are amazing.

1.) agreed on the 1.75"
    2.) Milled
    3.) Either finish is fine but no color.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    I've got both Prime coins and I'm looking forward to this year's!

And I'm definitely not a fan of the colored ring, I think it makes the coin look kinda cheesy.

Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Sageheart wrote: »
    I've got both Prime coins and I'm looking forward to this year's!

And I'm definitely not a fan of the colored ring, I think it makes the coin look kinda cheesy.

I'm a fan of color, if used well.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

I really like the look of those coins. If people are open to it we could save the decision of the use of color or not until we start looking at designs so we can see how it works overall. Rather than just saying we will or won't use color.

IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »

I really like the look of those coins. If people are open to it we could save the decision of the use of color or not until we start looking at designs so we can see how it works overall. Rather than just saying we will or won't use color.

+1 to this idea. :D

SkeleVader wrote: »

Sounds good to me!

wWuzwvJ.png
    It is decided then that we will use a coin size of 1.75", milled (or reeded) edges & an antique finish similar to the Prime 2010 coin. We will decided if color is a good fit during the design of the front & back.

So lets get to the bulk of the work then. Choosing a design for our Pax Prime 2012 coin.
    We will start with the face of the coin (something Pax or gaming related) and move onto the back (Seattle landmark / attraction) afterwards.

Last year papaprinny suggested the concept of the Pax line attendee. While the image he used wasn't very well received I think the concept was great and we should see what designs we could come up with.

What are other people's thoughts?

IhtGIyi.png
    edited April 2012
    For my husband and I, street pass defiantly was a big part of the PAX East experience. Would anyone be interested in doing something street pass related? Something like this maybe?
    1763043-streetpass_mii_plaza_logo_large.jpg

adias.angel on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    For my husband and I, street pass defiantly was a big part of the PAX East experience. Would anyone be interested in doing something street pass related? Something like this maybe?
    23nc6.jpg

What is that picture? Is this a coin idea or did it get in the wrong thread?

edited April 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    23nc6.jpg

sigh, wrong link.

adias.angel on
    23nc6.jpg

sigh, wrong link.

My question still stands actually. Is this a coin idea?

23nc6.jpg

sigh, wrong link.

Yes. I was trying to come up with something street pass related.

23nc6.jpg

sigh, wrong link.

Ok, for some reason the way you phrased it made me think you meant that for something else :P Or maybe it's just because I don't really know what street pass even is.

23nc6.jpg

sigh, wrong link.

Ok, for some reason the way you phrased it made me think you meant that for something else :P Or maybe it's just because I don't really know what street pass even is.

:shock: No street pass! Never thought about the number of people who don't street pass. Hrmmm, maybe not the best idea then.

I loved the arcade machine for the East coin. What if we did an Atari console on the face of the coin, nad put four icons of iconic atari games?a space invader, a ball and paddles, um.. a galaga ship, and something else?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    I was poking around the old challenge coin forums and found this one by @KoalaBro2:

paxeast2012challengecoinob.png

I LOVE the idea of having a controller/many controllers on there. Maybe even some retro ones like NES or Atari?

Add a NES instead of Wii and I like it!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I like the ideas of controllers as well. I think we should veer away from having Space Invaders on the Prime coin this year due to it overlapping with the East coin.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    oh right. haha, yeah probly a good idea.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • mountie242mountie242 Registered User new member
    I haven't received any challenge coins but was there one to represent PC gaming?

The problem I see with the controllers is that we used the D-pad last year and I feel it would be kinda like repeating ourselves.
    mountie242 wrote: »
    I haven't received any challenge coins but was there one to represent PC gaming?

No we haven't had a PC gaming coin yet. I think it would be a great idea to explore.

IhtGIyi.png
  • mountie242mountie242 Registered User new member
    What about a coin depicting a lan set up. Or a sweet cpu with 3 monitors and 3 most pax related games 1 on each monitor

What about a coin depicting a lan set up. Or a sweet cpu with 3 monitors and 3 most pax related games 1 on each monitor

That'd be cool. Could have three computers all connnected to a central middle point on the coin.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular

Having looked at the previous coins, this would be a good option.

And since you've already done the convention center and space needle, maybe something to do with Boeing plane and the ferries? Seattle is Jet City after all.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Keep in mind you have to be able to convey an idea in less than 2" of space, so while I like the spirit of the LAN thing we need some concrete way to demonstrate it using single small, recognizable symbols that don't require color.

I like TOG's idea.

Nullzone on
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Keep in mind you have to be able to convey an idea in less than 2" of space, so while I like the spirit of the LAN thing we need some concrete way to demonstrate it using single small, recognizable symbols that don't require color.

I like TOG's idea.

Could we use the idea of a cat 5 cable ends combine with a tower or monitor?

thejaxx wrote: »

Having looked at the previous coins, this would be a good option.

And since you've already done the convention center and space needle, maybe something to do with Boeing plane and the ferries? Seattle is Jet City after all.

The Pike Place Market was a really popular idea last year for the "location" side of the coin, maybe it's time to use it?

I think the Pike Place Market is the perfect choice for the "location" this year.

IhtGIyi.png
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Just a thought, how about crossing the three controller concept with the PC concept? Something like 360 controller, PC Mouse (where the Wii-mote is in the picture), and Atari or NES controller where the PS3 controller is?

Something to represent current console, all PCs, and old-school gaming.

This discussion has been closed.