As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Also as a reminder to everyone: Don't forget to praise me- I mean the guild. As in all of us. Y'all and myself. The button to do it is right next to the button you used to apply to the guild.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    Okay, I applied to the guild and settled on being Rico the Aman Warrior

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    The server is full, so it will not let me in to check guild apps or anything this morning.

Edit: All servers are marked as full.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I went to try a Lancer and there was a general crash of sorts I guess. But Dragonfall is back up now.

Edit- Also I want to apologize if you end with up like 500 applications from me.

Tornelco on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    At my sugestion the Classy Gent guild rank has been suplimented by a Classy Dame guild rank. Please make a note if you want your character to have the other rank.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Goddamn crafting is expensive in this game. I don't see how anyone could focus on more than 1 without going bankrupt. Not at this stage of the game.

The only thing they changed, as far as I can tell, was removing the terrible crafting quests that had you spend 25g to make a pile of items you couldn't even use.

They replaced them with more reasonable quests to make some ingots.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Tornelco wrote: »
    Okay, I applied to the guild and settled on being Rico the Aman Warrior

Yeah, I saw you on the channel last night but by the time I replied you were gone.

I'm Duulket, around level 10, Aman Slayer. Will be on here in a bit to put in a guild invite.

Are you the magic man?
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So there was some discussion in guild chat this morning concerning Sorcerers and Archers... mainly the fact that both classes, though ranged, tend to be rather useless when you get more than a short distance from the enemy. For Archers in particular this seems to be an issue since they have less health than other classes, and their range for max damage is a measly 10m.

Has anyone heard anything from EME regarding this? If, say, they might be looking into changing this at all?

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I don't like that whole aspect of ranged. If I'm going to be ranged, LET me be ranged. 10m is not very far, don't make that an archer's max damage area. That's silly. I dislike scaling damage at a distance at all. If anything, you should do less the CLOSER you are, but I don't like that either, really (would suck for solo).

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Makes sense to me- risk versus reward, you want to do maximum damage to that BAM you'd better have to actually pay attention to him yourself, not just cycle your abilities at max range and read a book. Also means there's balance in PVP, since melee can't be kited indefinitely, unable to do anything.

• imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    Streaming just for funsies on Valley of Titans. http://www.justin.tv/delphinidaes

You lie!

:) Guessing you have gone to bed. Lazy Americans, going to sleep just as the sun comes up.

Heh I turned the stream off about 20-30 minutes ago. Went from lvl 1-11 so it was quite a bit. I'll be playing tomorrow and streaming lvl 12 onwards which should be fun considering I am gank bait now :D

I stalk...I mean watched your stream for a couple of minutes last night, I remember someone saying "someone's actually watching this!" lol. I would have said hi but I'd have to make an account and I was too lazy and went to bed after a few minutes. XD

Are you still in NFA? I'm in DGKK, so far it's been...interesting. :S

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
    Glal wrote: »
    Makes sense to me- risk versus reward, you want to do maximum damage to that BAM you'd better have to actually pay attention to him yourself, not just cycle your abilities at max range and read a book. Also means there's balance in PVP, since melee can't be kited indefinitely, unable to do anything.

This.

If ranged could deal full damage from range, they'd be unstoppable gods.

Yeah I'm playing an archer right now, it's counter-intuitive, but not so bad. I sorta wish you had invicibility frames on the dodge though.

I think overall I agree with your sentiment, if you were able just to afk pew pew at max range all day it would be kind of lame compared to the other classes. Though perhaps being at max range shouldn't be as punishing, though I'm not at a level to really properly compare the damage at each range category.

I also think it would be helpful to people if there was a tooltip or something that clearly explained that you do less damage the farther away your target is. I wonder how many people don't realize that at first, contributing to the idea that archers are bad.

steam_sig.png
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I will be playing with a friend tonight, what server do i go for? Anyone i should be looking for in game?

Also is there a vent/mumble/ts being used?

Triiipledot on
    Well, the attack description does mention it I believe, but you're right, something like the reticule going from green to red or somesuch would help. Plus, it'd be more intuitive than reading that distance number.

Well, the attack description does mention it I believe, but you're right, something like the reticule going from green to red or somesuch would help. Plus, it'd be more intuitive than reading that distance number.

I'm just assuming that some people don't actually read their skills lol. Your reticule idea sounds like an excellent solution!

steam_sig.png
    Haha, Samael (the commander who draws his sword on you) sounds exactly like Michael Hogan.

Are you the magic man?
    I assumed it was him, actually.

Frei wrote: »
    Haha, Samael (the commander who draws his sword on you) sounds exactly like Michael Hogan.

Might just be a cause and effect there... ;)

This.

I don't believe I, at any point, said anything about being able to do max damage from max range, nor about being able to defeat BAMs while AFK reading a book.

What I am saying is that 10m is not 'at range', it's basically extended melee. I do appreciate the idea of having to balance range and damage, but I'd say that the 'sweet spot' should be something that is, again, at range. Say, between 10-20 feet (as a crude example) not between melee range and 10 feet as it is now. A bow is not a melee weapon and should not be effective in melee range. For the sake of balance, I wouldn't want it to do no damage, but reduced damage, encouraging the Archer to use his escapes to get to effective range.

Yeah, I looked on imdb for the credit but didn't see one. I figured that if it wasn't him, the person doing the voice was a ridiculously good imitator.

Are you the magic man?
  • Comrade1809Comrade1809 Registered User regular
    I find it funny how people on the PVP servers complain that the ones they try and gank use pots to stay alive. Their whole argument is that even though they might out level their target, and the person they attack could be fighting one or more NPC monsters at the time, it is bad manners while getting ganked to use a potion.

EVE: TrueAnger

“The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

“This Snow Crash thing--is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?”
    Juanita shrugs. “What's the difference?”
    ― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Jagged Coast PVP server last night wasn't too bad. Some griefers camping Teubenius, the level 16-18 mob necessary for advancing the story quest.

Saw a few outlaws running around, some guilds declaring war on each other.

Isle of Dawn had 30 channels when I joined and 53 by the time I left. All those people were funneled down into four channels of Lumbertown. The ground was carpeted with people trying to grab the slow spawning mobs.

Also had trouble with Dark Revelations. Solo it didn't register after killing the big guy. Had to go back with a group and that registered.

Managed to reach 18 on the mystic in about four hours of play.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    I remember that from WoW days. Them kicking my ass with Engineering gadgets was okay, but if my Alchemist chugged a potion it was all "lol noob".

No kidding. If it's not him, he not only has the voice right but even has his cadence of speaking down.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Streaming the beginning of Lumbertown on my Slayer. Lvl 12 so there is gank potential as well. http://www.justin.tv/delphinidaes

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    I remember that from WoW days. Them kicking my ass with Engineering gadgets was okay, but if my Alchemist chugged a potion it was all "lol noob".

Remember, if you lose in PVP it's always, ALWAYS because the other person cheated.

steam_sig.png
    nice hacking

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    archers and sorcerers probably won't be that popular in general because ranged chars felt a lot like playing a different game.

if I make a char in open beta will it be saved without a preorder? not really sure I can toss money at this right now.

Jars on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I'mma report all your cheatin' asses for not dropping dead the moment I swipe my reticule over you. Pvp is only fun when I win.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Comrade1809Comrade1809 Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    I'mma report all your cheatin' asses for not dropping dead the moment I swipe my reticule over you. Pvp is only fun when I win.

No... pvp is only fun when I win!

EVE: TrueAnger

“The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

“This Snow Crash thing--is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?”
    Juanita shrugs. “What's the difference?”
    ― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
    Jars wrote: »
    archers and sorcerers probably won't be that popular in general because ranged chars felt a lot like playing a different game.

if I make a char in open beta will it be saved without a preorder? not really sure I can toss money at this right now.

You are somewhat correct on ranged characters... they do feel like playing a different game. But it's a fun game. Not that I don't like melee, it's pretty great... but I've just always preferred ranged characters.

Regarding OB: Your character will be saved for some undetermined period of time after the open beta ends, even if you didn't pre-order. That way, people who are swayed by the OB can buy the game at launch and still have their character ready to go.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular

This.

I don't believe I, at any point, said anything about being able to do max damage from max range, nor about being able to defeat BAMs while AFK reading a book.

What I am saying is that 10m is not 'at range', it's basically extended melee. I do appreciate the idea of having to balance range and damage, but I'd say that the 'sweet spot' should be something that is, again, at range. Say, between 10-20 feet (as a crude example) not between melee range and 10 feet as it is now. A bow is not a melee weapon and should not be effective in melee range. For the sake of balance, I wouldn't want it to do no damage, but reduced damage, encouraging the Archer to use his escapes to get to effective range.

Umm, 10 m isn't extended melee. Ten meters is > 30 feet. So, 10 m is very much ranged, unless you have some serious growth defect and immensely long arms.

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    fwiw, the monster hunter games follow a similar mechanic for their ranged weapons, with severe dropoff past a short range based on ammo type, although you didn't get the nice distance indicator there. Does the focused shot here require you to stand still, or can it be charged on the move? Been thinking about a lancer or archer as a future alt.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    I always hated ranged in MH myself. I'm glad it's there, and I'm glad other people like it so I can stick to my beloved melee, but it always felt out of place to me when I tried to play it.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    You can charge while moving as an archer but your movement speed is reduced. There are Glyphs that removes the speed reduction.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    level 25 on my warrior on jagged edge. Haven't had any pvp incidents all day, prob because I'm pretty far ahead of the herd. Killing mobs meant for 5 people with 2 is hilarious amounts of exp. This is definetly a game you want to play with atleast a friend when you hit the 20's. But it sucks that I can't gather at my leisure. So many damn nodes everhwhere.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    dragonfall nm

Jars on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    After a day at work, I am going to be right in the midst of the heavy pack. Which means it will be even slower leveling than last night. Am wondering what queues will be like when trying to log in. Heard some people mentioning them last night.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Good to hear the focused shot doesn't root you completely, guess I'll have to give Archer a try later on. The Aion ranger equivalent just felt crippled by animation lock.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
This discussion has been closed.