As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Well, Dragon's Crown is still a thing that is happening, but Atlus is the new publisher, and its got a 2013 release date now.

Fans of ridiculous anatomy rejoice in the game still coming. Be bummed at the delay.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Well, Dragon's Crown is still a thing that is happening, but Atlus is the new publisher, and its got a 2013 release date now.

Fans of ridiculous anatomy rejoice in the game still coming. Be bummed at the delay.

Ah, that's good. I was wondering if it'd be left in a weird spot after Disney's buyout of Ignition.

In other news, the PlayStation Suite open beta is out. So if you want to program something for the Vita, download it and play around a bit. It's in C# by the way.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If it's a Souls action rpg game we win.
    If it's a Monster Hunter evolution we win.
    If it's anything else... we'll wait and see.

If is a successful hybridization of Souls and Hunter, the universe implodes.

...and we'd still win.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    So, any suggestions if I want an SRPG with less grinding than Disgaea usually has? Pretty obvious we're gonna have to go PSP here, unless Disgaea 3 is a lot lighter on how much grinding you have to do just to keep up with the story?

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't remember doing much grinding in Disgaea 3 before the end-game.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I think I only had to grind 2-3 times throughout the game, and not necessarily because I had to. I think I could have avoided it if I had understood the game mechanics better, but I was playing it in Japanese.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Guess I'll be picking up 3, then.

EDIT: My god I'm horrible at Pinball Arcade. But dammit, I cracked 300k on Black Hole, and that is worth its weight in GOLD.

yalborap on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Something out of left field here but- how's that Assassin's Creed game on the PSP? Bloodlines, was it?

And does FF: Tactics: War of the Lions come recommended?

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Something out of left field here but- how's that Assassin's Creed game on the PSP? Bloodlines, was it?

I remember Bloodlines as being pretty mediocre, but when I played through it 2 years ago, I was more forgiving. I think it improved some of the things that were annoying about AC1, but if you've played AC2 or any of the newer ones you'll probably be disappointed.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

FFTactics is my favorite game of all time, and War of the Lions is better in almost every way. It doesn't have the randomly called out words when they cast spells, but it has great new cutscenes, a new translation, extra scenes, and no slowdown like in the original FFT. I Cannot recommend FFT:WOTL enough if you like strategy rpgs.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    started playing a bit of Disgaea.

The graphics on it are crisp as hell on that screen. I was actually surprised it looked that good. Cant wait to see what Persona 4 will look like on it.

I played the original FF:T on the PS1 just to complete the story. Then I tried FF:TA and, well, that just kinda turned me off of the series.

I might give WotL a try. Are there random battles in this one?

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I played the original FF:T on the PS1 just to complete the story. Then I tried FF:TA and, well, that just kinda turned me off of the series.

I might give WotL a try. Are there random battles in this one?

War of the Lions is the original FFT Just remade with cutscenes and new translations, some new characters (the hero from FFTA2, and Balthier from FF12), and a few new scenes. If you dont feel like replaying FFT dont get WOL.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    I liked the original FF:T, but FF:TA I just couldn't get into. Laws were really annoying, and it just felt too rigid/limiting to me.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    UMvC3 is £30 around here now. So! Anyone wanna punch me later, I'm DRX-777.

Oh brilliant
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

FFTactics is my favorite game of all time, and War of the Lions is better in almost every way. It doesn't have the randomly called out words when they cast spells, but it has great new cutscenes, a new translation, extra scenes, and no slowdown like in the original FFT. I Cannot recommend FFT:WOTL enough if you like strategy rpgs.

Kinda.

Square also did some forced slowdown on the animations so they get to be very painful to sit and watch through during long battles. And they did some lazy sprite-widening to fit the psp/vita screen so they can look pretty hideous at times.

You can patch this out by using a custom bios and patched image on the PSP, but that's not currently possible on the Vita.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Better to just get Disgaea or Tactics Ogre anyway.

Especially Tactics Ogre. Oh god its so good.

steam_sig.png
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    My Vita has been taking dives lately. 2 falls in two days, but it survived them both like a champ. And much better than it's first fall which gave her a few scuffs.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Woo, got my Vita plugged in and charging, and now off to bed. Haven't played much beyond some Lumines right now and will probably play around with some BlazBlue on the train into town tomorrow.

cokebotle / cokebotle129 / GMT +10

工事中
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is old or new news concerning Soul Sacrifice, but there's this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL-NxRuDrCk&feature=g-u-u&context=G27c50faFUAAAAAAAHAA

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote: »
    So, any suggestions if I want an SRPG with less grinding than Disgaea usually has? Pretty obvious we're gonna have to go PSP here, unless Disgaea 3 is a lot lighter on how much grinding you have to do just to keep up with the story?

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (action based srpg$
    Tactics Ogre (>>>>> FFT in mechanics and story)
    Wild Arms XF (also >>>>> FFT at least in mechanics. amazing soundtrack. wild west + sci-fi.)
    Knights in the Nightmare (srpg + shump)
    Yggdra Union (srpg + cards)
    Jeanne D'Arc (good presentation and story... just my first srpg easy)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is old or new news concerning Soul Sacrifice, but there's this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL-NxRuDrCk&feature=g-u-u&context=G27c50faFUAAAAAAAHAA

I'm not quite sure that a portable version of Demon's Souls would be a good idea.

I mean, it's on a portable system.

What do you think's going to get thrown when you die the n'th time to a trap?

...Oh, Sony. I see what you did there.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Who the fuck actually throws controllers?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Who knows. But I sure as hell wouldn't throw a $250 controller.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

You're kidding, right? I've seen so many thrown controllers I wouldn't be surprised if replacement controller sales are keeping most video game companies afloat during lean times.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    I think I've thrown my controller like twice, both times while playing Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution back when it came out. I don't really think Demon's Souls is that kind of game though, since you don't really lose that much when you fuck up (unlike say, your win-loss ratio dropping in VF4 Evo).

edited April 2012

You're kidding, right? I've seen so many thrown controllers I wouldn't be surprised if replacement controller sales are keeping most video game companies afloat during lean times.

No, honest response. Controllers aren't exactly the cheapest thing arround. And I have no idea why someone would abuse their own electronics.

vagrant_winds on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have.

Admittedly, only ever onto pillows next to me on the couch. But still, yeah. I have thrown controllers.

Oh brilliant
  • EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    I just squeal at my console in frustration, like a little girl.

Gone.
    I have never played a Tactics Ogre game. Guess I have to look it up.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

No, honest response. Controllers aren't exactly the cheapest thing arround. And I have no idea why someone would abuse their own electronics.

I play street fighter with some angry people. And man, back when my friends and I used to play Smash Bros on the N64, we started requiring people to bring their own controllers because it just got out of hand.

I never throw my controllers, but I have been known to slam them into a couch cushion during particularly bullshit segments of ME3.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I almost threw my PSP across the room while playing Monster Hunter once. In the heat of a big "fuck you, you lose, goodbye last 45 minutes of progress" moment, I could easily see how someone could do it, yeah.

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    I whine a lot and yell sometimes but I never throw controllers. I pounded my desk one time in BF3 because that game can be incredibly frustrating... but I don't care if I break my 25 year old desk.

I ordered a skin from Decal Girl. I've heard they're super tough to put on so I'm not looking forward to it. I also picked up some trigger grips hoping that it'll make it so I can play the thing longer... holding the Vita with big hands leads to hand cramps.

E26cO.jpg
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    mugginns wrote: »
    I ordered a skin from Decal Girl. I've heard they're super tough to put on so I'm not looking forward to it. I also picked up some trigger grips hoping that it'll make it so I can play the thing longer... holding the Vita with big hands leads to hand cramps.

I ordered and received a 3DS skin and a Vita skin recently. The 3DS skin went on easily and looks hot. The Vita skin was easy to apply on the back... but the front has some very thin pieces and the large piece was hard to apply properly. I actually mangled it bad enough that I asked about a replacement and they are sending me one for the price of shipping (under $3). All in all, I had an amazing experience with them and will be ordering more skins for other gadgets. The skins look awesome but I think the part I like the most is the feel (I got matte for both).

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

I ordered and received a 3DS skin and a Vita skin recently. The 3DS skin went on easily and looks hot. The Vita skin was easy to apply on the back... but the front has some very thin pieces and the large piece was hard to apply properly. I actually mangled it bad enough that I asked about a replacement and they are sending me one for the price of shipping (under $3). All in all, I had an amazing experience with them and will be ordering more skins for other gadgets. The skins look awesome but I think the part I like the most is the feel (I got matte for both).

They actually make skins for my bizarre 2 screened mess of a phone (Kyocera Echo) - I may have to grab one. The back of my phone is looking a bit banged up so that would help even though with my phone closed you'd really only see half the top skin.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I too got a skin from them for my Vita, and I too mangled the front oh so badly. But, after I looked at it for a moment, having the skin on the back and around the buttons/d-pad on the front (the only sections I managed to get on the front) actually looks better to me than having the entire front covered. Part of this is that the skin I ordered is very light (basically off-white, Imperial Quotient) and I think the contrast makes the whole thing stand out.

Besides, I was doing it to get the feel more than anything and with the back covered it takes care of that quite well (feels so much more comfortable in my hands).

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    Just bought Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Resistance Retribution and Patapon 3. Curse you price drops! I already have the UMD version of Dark Mirror but figured I may as well get the PSN version now. The other two I've been wanting to play so jumped on them at the new price.

It's funny looking through the PSP library, THQ have a bunch of 2008/9 games on there at full f'n price and Dissidia 012 is cheaper than Dissidia.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Okay guys I am almost out of space on my memory card. One more RPG. I have FFT, persona 3, disgaea 3 so far.

Tactics Ogre or Trails in the sky? They are both the same price and about the same size.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tactics Ogre

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I was leaning towards that one

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus