As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Friday, April 20, 2012 - Penny Arcade: The Series Season 3, Ep. 23: Game 3

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Penny Arcade: The Series Season 3, Ep. 23: Game 3
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-3
Tastefully straddling the line between documentary and guilty-pleasure voyeurism, Penny Arcade: The Series collects the bizarre continuum of one of the world's strangest companies. In this episode we get a behind the scenes view of RSPD 3.

Geth on

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    what is that stuff jerry put in his mouth?

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    what is that stuff jerry put in his mouth?

Came here to ask, must know!

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Cinnamon, I think. There's youtubes of people trying to eat it, always failing.

That intro was all kinds of excellent. Also! Pretty excited about RSPD3. And is that Slash000 & RainbowDespair? :D

Oh brilliant
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    I am most exited that it's coming to iOS, it will look great on the iPad.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    hmm a thought occurred to me while watching Jeff playtest it and the PAX setup.
    I've just started dabbling in making games in XNA (like, at the super early, try to make a crummy version of Tetris stage).
    In order to test your stuff on a 360 you have the XNA Creator's Club account and link it to your 360. I haven't looked into it closely since I'm not yet at the point where I wanna be dropping cash on it, just to confirm that I can move squares around. Are you able to link one account to multiple 360's or are there other arrangements you can make for that kind of scenario?
    edit: Or am I maybe overthinking or misunderstanding the description of in XNACC, that you can just go ahead and build it and put it on any old 360, but if you want any extra debugging or something you need the XNACC thing going on?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I have not watched the episode yet, but I did get to see a sneak peek of Jerry making himself miserable at PAXEast. It is, in fact, cinnamon. My favourite part of that clip is when Mike tells Jerry that he needs MORE cinnamon.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think it's referred to as "The Cinnamon Challenge"

• combatf0rkcombatf0rk Registered User new member
    I dunno, the smile seems wrong. It needs to be about 20% more rye.

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Between Jerry doing the cinnamon challenge, and how awesome the game looks, this is one heck of a great PATV.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    Another happy day-one purchase, and I never played the first two PA games. Zeboyd is the bigger seller for me. Can't wait to see it, guys!

• Ickarus75Ickarus75 Registered User new member
    Definitely excited about Game 3. I had just started the second one when I heard that the third wasn't being made so I stopped. Guess I'll pick them both back up again in prep for the next chapter in the story! Excellent!!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Does the actual game have that pixel distortion, or was some of the footage stretched?

nFsMa.jpg

Pixel size-wise, not the jpeg compression. Tycho's nose, the girl's hair etc.

If I were Slash I'd be like "AHHHHH MY ART"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, that looks like the image got stretched.

As far as testing goes, we just test on the PC and don't worry about Xbox testing until the very end. Since our past games worked on the Xbox just fine, I don't think we'll run into any major problems with this one.

Hope the episode turned out well - I hate watching myself on camera so I only watched the rough draft they sent us for comments; I haven't watched the actual episode yet.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    You will wince at your misuse of "were."

But really, cool episode, and great to see you guys at work. Looks like the game's turning out really well!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Saw The Crabomancer in there! Hope he's actually got some story going on. I wonder about that guy(?).

Nitpick: I had to keep a finger on the volume control for this episode. All the different speakers were all over the place.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My favorite part was that I immediately recognized an Azumanga desktop wallpaper.

Oh and getting to see the game I guess.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Nice job guys.

... I feel horrible that anytime I hear any press about Slash, I keep hoping for someone to reference that he was the Duke Nukem Forever pre-order guy. I really should stop living in the past.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The thing that stuck with me the most was Erika's expression.
    It's like a mixture of fascination, disgust, shadenfreude, ecstasy and pure unadulterated rage.

omgerica.png

It's....brilliant.

Psykoma on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    She forgot her glasses this time the camera crew was around!

Game is looking awesome Rainbow and Slash.

NNID: Rehab0
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Nice to see some non-fourth panel goings ons.

• ShanksShanks "THAT FELLOW" Registered User regular
    Is Alex Mauer doing the music for the game?

His tracks for this episode felt like a perfect fit for the 16-bit RPG style. I didn't realize until the episode was over that I was listening to incidental music and not the game itself.

Royal Families card game rules Origin/XBL: SpaceRangerJ Steam
    The titles for the tracks in the credits certainly sound like they're from the game.

Oh brilliant
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There was an article linked in the PAA subforum where they said that he was.
    "It's not like our studio has drastically ballooned in size because of this project," says Boyd, "it's still just the two of us -- and Alex Mauer, he's doing the music -- and that's pretty much it."

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShanksShanks "THAT FELLOW" Registered User regular
    Thanks for the confirmation!

Good sound. Good match.

Royal Families card game rules Origin/XBL: SpaceRangerJ Steam
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    combatf0rk wrote: »
    I dunno, the smile seems wrong. It needs to be about 20% more rye.

I think you mean "wry".

DarkPrimus on
    Yeah, all the music in this episode is in the game in some form or another.

• Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular
    I found the chapters for episode three on the rainslick website, but were there written chapters for episode 1 and 2? or are those included with the list on the website? I could have sworn there were two other installments....

Google has failed me. Does anyone else know where I can find the other two written parts of episodes 1 &2?

Svenne345.jpg
    Svenne345 wrote: »
    I found the chapters for episode three on the rainslick website, but were there written chapters for episode 1 and 2? or are those included with the list on the website? I could have sworn there were two other installments....

Google has failed me. Does anyone else know where I can find the other two written parts of episodes 1 &2?

No, episode 1 & 2 are only available in game form.

So many terrible puns!

That is excellent. :D

Oh brilliant
  • Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular

THAT'S what I was confusing it with. I remembered an old lady with rats in it. Thank you, guys.

Svenne345.jpg
  • SelanSelan Registered User new member
    Great episode. I bought the game to support PA and Zeboyd but it's been on the back burner as I played through a few others. Re-watching this has me really eager to play it again :) Btw, where did Robert get the cool jacket with all the controllers on it and a pacman on the sleeve? Would love to get one of those.