As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] Politics of the Democratic Friedmanite Republic of the Government of Harper

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Back when I was just barely old enough to vote and voted in my first election, I talked to people in my hometown that said they would vote Liberal because they've always voted Liberal, so this is probably a common theme among voters, regardless of which party they're voting for. It's kinda depressing.

I've heard this at home in Newfoundland, so it's not just you. And yes, really depressing. :(

I always thought the strong affiliation in Newfoundland was abnormal. My grandparents were PC supporters through and through, and I know that my father, still often favours the PC provincially. He hates the federal Conservatives with a passion though.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I liked this article, gives me a bit of hope when thinking of dealing with the fallout of Harper and the Cons:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/mess+with+children/6451111/story.html

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    Had my local Wild Rose candidate knock on our door this weekend. He really needed to use some chapstick. Sadly he's the only local candidate I've seen so far.

Talking to him made me realise how vague my grasp of specific party policy is. He did dismiss my concerns of their attitude towards human rights as not being enshrined in their policy in any way, which tied in nicely to the Edmonton WR MPs "all gays will burn in hell for eternity" comments that came to light over the weekend.
    Smith's position is that her party members are free to hold their own personal beliefs, and that she's happy to be in a party that welcomes all religious view points. Coupled with her own personal preference for a two-tiered healthcare system, the Wild Rose seems to be the party of people that we're meant to believe will never legislate based on their firmly held beliefs.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Sounds legit. You should vote for them.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    They can't totally be lying to cover their asses at all.

• Options
    They aren't even bothering to really lie though. They're literally saying "Well, we don't have any current policies that discriminate against the LGBT community. We also completely support the rights of our members to hold and express hateful opinions in their own time. Here's $200."

Smith is incredibly smug. It was very apparent in the leaders debate and one of her comments relating to her homophobic party members was "If there's been a hate crime, call the police." FUCK YOU.

• Options
    They are the leaders Alberta needs, not the ones they deserve. Or something? I'll be really surprised if they win since they are clearly incompetent racists, but I'll also laugh a lot. Shadenfreude.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »
    They are the leaders Alberta needs, not the ones they deserve. Or something? I'll be really surprised if they win since they are clearly incompetent racists, but I'll also laugh a lot. Shadenfreude.

Yes, yes, you hope Alberta becomes a smoking crater. I think we wrapped that up a few pages ago.

• Options
    NODe wrote: »

Yes, yes, you hope Alberta becomes a smoking crater. I think we wrapped that up a few pages ago.

Clearly, and we wish you would shut the fuck up about it. Some of us care about improving this province.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man, i wish Alberta the best in this. It's going to be a weird provincial election for them.

I do think anything that pressures the Conservatives to move more into the center is an alright thing, though. Shouldn't Wildrose be bleeding off the crazy fringe element? I mean, I know less numbers is bad in politics but if all they do is pick up the nut jobs, and the Conservatives retain power, that's good, isn't it? At least so long as the cons don't start pandering to try to entice them back (see: Republicans and the Tea Party).

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So apparently Smith thinks that climate change science isn't 'settled'. Whatever that fucking means.

We're fucked.

Also, Joe Oilver demonstrates once again what an out-of-touch buffoon he really is.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/04/17/environmental-reviews.html
    "In many cases, these projects would create thousands upon thousands of jobs for Canadians, yet they can take years to get started due to the slow, complex and cumbersome federal government approval process."

He noted that the Mackenzie Valley Gas Pipeline review took more than nine years to complete, while the whole western expansion of the Canadian Pacific Railway under Sir John A. Macdonald took four years.

Are you honestly comparing a project that happened over a century ago to projects happening in this day and age and using that as a viable measure of how long things should take to get approved?

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I think my greatest fear is a PC minority with a Wildrose opposition.

For once I wouldn't mind a PC majority.

My god, I did just say that didn't I?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So apparently Smith thinks that climate change science isn't 'settled'. Whatever that fucking means.

We're fucked.

Also, Joe Oilver demonstrates once again what an out-of-touch buffoon he really is.

"In many cases, these projects would create thousands upon thousands of jobs for Canadians, yet they can take years to get started due to the slow, complex and cumbersome federal government approval process."

He noted that the Mackenzie Valley Gas Pipeline review took more than nine years to complete, while the whole western expansion of the Canadian Pacific Railway under Sir John A. Macdonald took four years.

Are you honestly comparing a project that happened over a century ago to projects happening in this day and age and using that as a viable measure of how long things should take to get approved?

Wait, didn't the building of the rail way have like extremely bad working conditions and give next to no fucks about how it impacted the enviroment it passed through? They seriously think navvies, coolies, poor relations with first nations, and being in need of a bail out was the height of good governance? What a fucking fool of a tool (for oil).

Also, where is the quote from? Its not from the article linked that I could find. Edit: Here, I found it: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/media-room/news-release/2012/1/3520

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hawkbox wrote: »

Clearly, and we wish you would shut the fuck up about it. Some of us care about improving this province.

Best of luck. Let me know how that's gone after 10 more years of uninterrupted PC rule with the population never questioning their long-term policies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

We're fucked.

Wait, didn't the building of the rail way have like extremely bad working conditions and give next to no fucks about how it impacted the enviroment it passed through? They seriously think navvies, coolies, poor relations with first nations, and being in need of a bail out was the height of good governance? What a fucking fool of a tool (for oil).

Also, where is the quote from? Its not from the article linked that I could find. Edit: Here, I found it: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/media-room/news-release/2012/1/3520

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87MgkGAqeU

• Options

Best of luck. Let me know how that's gone after 10 more years of uninterrupted PC rule with the population never questioning their long-term policies.

Why don't you stop being a stupid asshole and consider the fact that not one of us is in any way in favour of that?

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    These days it would take us at least 10 times as long to achieve that kind of worker death rate. You tree-huggin' fucks are always standing in the way of efficiency.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    These days it would take us at least 10 times as long to achieve that kind of worker death rate. You tree-huggin' fucks are always standing in the way of efficiency.

I say from now on all major infrastructure projects should include a (dead Chinese men)/mile figure. Anything less than 0.5, and the project doesn't move forward.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Why don't you stop being a stupid asshole and consider the fact that not one of us is in any way in favour of that?

I think most reasonable albertans want the PC's out of power provincially. Redford really does not have the charisma to keep the party going after a bunch of minor scandals and her "extravagant for Alberta" budget. The problem is the only electable alternative is the Wildrose.

Le sigh.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/simple+question+blizzard+emails+peek+inside+Canada+bureaucracy+works/6468334/story.html

Just in case you weren't sure how hypocritical this Con fed gov is about "red tape" and how they totally aren't muzzling scientific communication.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I know you don't favour that, but I think that unless the Wildrose win and accelerate the Conservative endgame so that people realise where it is leading, that is what is going to happen. I don't think that there is a hope in hell of any liberal (small L) successes in Alberta until it crashes from overinvestment in oil at the expense of anything else.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/simple+question+blizzard+emails+peek+inside+Canada+bureaucracy+works/6468334/story.html

Just in case you weren't sure how hypocritical this Con fed gov is about "red tape" and how they totally aren't muzzling scientific communication.

This is hilarious. And incredibly depressing. They'll put that much scrutiny into answering a simple question, but when doing environmental assessments on projects that could fuck up the environment for years? Fast track that shit, red tape suck. Sickening.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Am I off-base by looking at the "snow-falling" article as a failing of a bureaucracy instead of the meddling of the Conservatives?

• Options
    It's only started happening like that since the Conservatives took power. My girlfriend words for a department and she says it's getting worse all the time and answering a question honestly gets her brought in for performance reviews.

• Options
    They don't actually care if someone runs a story about a snow study, they're working vigorously to create an all pervasive government culture where you have to ice skate up hill (thanks Blade!) to get any piece of information out of any level of government.

It's the same reason they pushed to abolish the census. The only data they want anyone to be able to clearly reference is data they provide.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I know you don't favour that, but I think that unless the Wildrose win and accelerate the Conservative endgame so that people realise where it is leading, that is what is going to happen. I don't think that there is a hope in hell of any liberal (small L) successes in Alberta until it crashes from overinvestment in oil at the expense of anything else.
    That isnt how elections work. If people are fond of the Conservative years but think it could be better, then the Wildrose go in and fuck everything up, the entire province will scramble back to the Conservatives for another 70 years. They will be too afraid of change to chance another party running things ever again.

So you are both an asshole and incredibly stupid, kudos to your educators for how society functions and how to behave in a polite one.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I don't think that there is a hope in hell of any liberal (small L) successes in Alberta until it crashes from overinvestment in oil at the expense of anything else.

Progressive views are more and more popular among young Albertans. Much like gay marriage in the states, progressivism in Alberta is just a matter of time.

Also, you're kind of a dick for wishing my province burns to the ground. Take care.

Erik
  • Options
    When you live in BC, I wish burning to the ground would stop coming up :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

I think most reasonable albertans want the PC's out of power provincially. Redford really does not have the charisma to keep the party going after a bunch of minor scandals and her "extravagant for Alberta" budget. The problem is the only electable alternative is the Wildrose.

Le sigh.

What are Albertans actually tired of with the PCs then?

• Options
    Two weeks before the one-year anniversary of the May 2, 2011, election, an investigation into fraudulent robocalls has moved to Conservative headquarters, according to a media report.

Postmedia reported Monday night that Elections Canada investigators are looking at the Conservative Party's internal database to see who downloaded a list of non-supporters in Guelph. The report says the database seems to be missing entries that could identify who accessed the list.
    Elections Canada investigator Al Mathews traced the misleading robocalls to Racknine, an Edmonton company that provides voice broadcasting services. Using Racknine's phone records, Mathews traced nine calls to the company to two Conservative staffers in Ottawa, Rebecca Rogers and Chris Rougier.

Rogers worked at the party's campaign headquarters during the campaign. There were eight calls from her phone to Racknine on April 30, 2011.

There was one call from Rougier's phone to Racknine on May 1, 2011.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/17/pol-robocalls-guelph-investigation-extends.html?cmp=rss

And it's fishiness all the way down:
    Investigators Al Mathews and Ronald Lamothe are now trying to determine who had access to a list of voters who previously had been identified as non-Conservatives.

Non-supporter data are entered into CIMS by volunteers collecting information during neighbourhood canvasses and by phone bank workers contracted by the party.

CIMS is known for its tight access controls and detailed event logging and retains a digital record of every transaction on the database. Interns and volunteers have been sanctioned when the logs showed they had looked up Prime Minister Stephen Harper's listing, for example.

The investigators have inquired about CIMS logs for one particular user in the party's headquarters. The logs show blanks between this person's CIMS logon and logoff on the day the Guelph data was accessed, according to the source.
    http://www.canada.com/news/Robocalls+probe+extends+Tory+headquarters/6468552/story.html

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Two weeks before the one-year anniversary of the May 2, 2011, election, an investigation into fraudulent robocalls has moved to Conservative headquarters, according to a media report.

Postmedia reported Monday night that Elections Canada investigators are looking at the Conservative Party's internal database to see who downloaded a list of non-supporters in Guelph. The report says the database seems to be missing entries that could identify who accessed the list.
    Elections Canada investigator Al Mathews traced the misleading robocalls to Racknine, an Edmonton company that provides voice broadcasting services. Using Racknine's phone records, Mathews traced nine calls to the company to two Conservative staffers in Ottawa, Rebecca Rogers and Chris Rougier.

Rogers worked at the party's campaign headquarters during the campaign. There were eight calls from her phone to Racknine on April 30, 2011.

There was one call from Rougier's phone to Racknine on May 1, 2011.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/17/pol-robocalls-guelph-investigation-extends.html?cmp=rss

And it's fishiness all the way down:
    Investigators Al Mathews and Ronald Lamothe are now trying to determine who had access to a list of voters who previously had been identified as non-Conservatives.

Non-supporter data are entered into CIMS by volunteers collecting information during neighbourhood canvasses and by phone bank workers contracted by the party.

CIMS is known for its tight access controls and detailed event logging and retains a digital record of every transaction on the database. Interns and volunteers have been sanctioned when the logs showed they had looked up Prime Minister Stephen Harper's listing, for example.

The investigators have inquired about CIMS logs for one particular user in the party's headquarters. The logs show blanks between this person's CIMS logon and logoff on the day the Guelph data was accessed, according to the source.
    http://www.canada.com/news/Robocalls+probe+extends+Tory+headquarters/6468552/story.html

No facepalm Picard GIF big enough...

We'll see if this goes anywhere sometime before the next election.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    More "shocking" developments:
    An employee at a call centre used by the Conservative party in last year’s election says she wrongly informed voters in a northern Ontario riding that their polling station had been changed just days before the vote.

The sworn affidavit of Annette Desgagne, a former employee of the Responsive Marketing Group, says she specifically recalls contacting voters in the riding of Nipissing-Tamiskaming to tell them they would have to cast their ballots at a different location than the one printed on their voting cards.

She says she did so while reading a script provided by the call centre, which was hired by numerous Tory candidates during the campaign to identify likely Conservative supporters and to urge them to cast a ballot in the May 2, 2011 vote.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1163758--robocalls-conservative-party-s-firm-directed-voters-in-northern-ontario-to-wrong-polling-stations-says-former-employee

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Holy crap.

I mean, it's still very much a "my word against hers", but with any luck they can dig up other workers in that call centre who will back her story.

• Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    Fuck yes!

It's official, jabronis. We just won those two by-elections. And by 'we' I mean of course the BC NDP. And by 'those two by-elections,' I mean the by-elections in Chilliwack-Hope and Port Moody-Coquitlam.

I'm so glad it's over. What a long, exhausting campaign.

3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    saggio wrote: »
    Fuck yes!

It's official, jabronis. We just won those two by-elections. And by 'we' I mean of course the BC NDP. And by 'those two by-elections,' I mean the by-elections in Chilliwack-Hope and Port Moody-Coquitlam.

I'm so glad it's over. What a long, exhausting campaign.

Fantastic!!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Fantastic! Suck on that, Clark.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just when you thought it was safe.... BAM people forget how awful the BC NDP party is.

I think Clark is doing a respectable job at keeping election promises, and I don't get all the hate directed at her?

Edit: Considering they weren't her promises to begin with, and she was left on the hook for a lot junk.

Slo on
  • Options
    Because the Liberals are a shit-tastic party with nothing but terrible (read: conservative) ideas, who privatised BC ferries, cut the wages of most health workers by 50%, laid off about 1/4 of the government work force (and then hired them back over a few years because they realised that the government actually needs those people to function, but never told the public that part), etc, etc? Or because it was the entire party, not just Cambell, who was responsible for HST and so we need to punish them all? Or because her current ideas are also terrible? Or because she's the one who resigned in a huff because she didn't get the ministry she wanted last time she held office, demonstrating that she only cares about her own power and authority and not about serving the province?

Or the fact that the BC NDP is not, in fact, awful, although I don't much care for the current leader.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    It's alright; the Liberals are just butthurt that now they're the party that nobody needs to take seriously.

Dat hubris.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I wish butthurt BC people would clue in that even if you hate the BC NDP party that it doesn't transfer 1-1 to the Alberta NDP party. God people that can't get that provincial parties aren't all clones of each other annoy the shit out of me.

This discussion has been closed.