As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo 3DS] The 3DS XL is out.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
Welcome back to the Nintendo 3DS thread! This is the thread for general 3DS discussion. To keep the conversation from getting too busy, try to look for other threads before posting about something in here. For example, the eShop Thread is a good place to talk about Nintendo digital store. Big game releases like Mario Kart or Zelda also tend to have their own threads. There's no hard rule against discussing those games in here, but this is a nice place to talk about smaller titles that would be unable to sustain their own threads, and obviously those larger games can easily crowd everyone else out. Finally, don't be discouraged from making game-specific threads if you feel it warrants attention. This is sort of a catch-all thread.
incredible.jpg
3dsheader.png
Welcome to the Nintendo 3DS thread!

MCJjd.jpg
Holy crap, a wild 3DS appeared! Nintendo has announced the 3DS XL, which is basically a bigger 3DS with a larger screen to help people with meaty hands, bad eyesight, or both. There are no other bells and whistles, but a Circle Pad Pro attachment will be specifically made for this beast.

Games, Games, Games!

Great 3DS games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Cave Story
Super Mario 3D Land
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Super Street Fighter 4 3D
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Shinobi
Nano Assault
Sonic Generations
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Mario Kart 7
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Resident Evil Revelations
Tekken
Tales of the Abyss
Kid Icarus Uprising
Rhythm Thief

Upcoming games to look out for in 2012:

IGN report on amazing 3DS games coming down the pipe.
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Luigi's Mansion 2
Mario Tennis 3DS
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Animal Crossing 3DS
Paper Mario 3DS
Fire Emblem 3DS
Monster Hunter Tri-G
Monster Hunter 4
New Super Mario Bros. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsW6TksMqR4

eShop, Virtual Console, DSi, and Club Nintendo games

The Nintendo eShop

Plenty of games, movies, and apps to be found here. Download Virtual Console and DSi games, movies trailers, demos, or try out some new 3D remakes of classic games.

Download Full Games!

With the release of New Super Mario Bros. 2, Nintendo will be finally stepping into THE FUTURE and offering their "full" retail games as digital downloads. Just slap in an SD card, and you're good to go. Death to the cartridge!

Great eShop games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Twin Bee (3D Classics)
Mighty Switch Force (3dsWare)
Pushmo (3dsWare)
VVVVVV (3dsWare)
Zen Pinball (3dsWare)
Mutant Mudds (3dsWare)
Kid Icarus (3D Classics)
Sakura Samurai (3dsWare)

Virtual Console games

You can download older games on the 3DS. Classic portable systems such as the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, and the TurboGrafx-16. In addition, NES games recently became available to early adapters of the 3DS as a payback for paying the $250 launch price tag. For a complete list of games available, click on this link.

Great VC games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Super Mario Land (GB)
Donkey Kong (GB)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC)
Blaster Master: Enemy Below (GBC)
Tetris (GB)

DSi games

Older DSi games are also available for download on the 3DS as well. There are plenty to choose from and, to make everyone's life easier, our own UncleSporky has created a list of some of the best games to get. Here is a site that reviews DSiware games.The only site I know of that reviews every DSiware game

Great DSi games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Shantae: Risky's Revenge (amazing platformer)
Art Style: AQUITE/AQUIA (puzzle game with a neat aesthetic)
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS (pixel puzzle game)
Dark Void Zero (old school platformer)
X-Scape (first person space shooter thing)
Cave Story (another amazing platformer)
Dr. Mario Express (classic puzzle game)
Puzzle Challenge Express (classic puzzle game)
Photo Dojo (simple but hilarious 2 player fighting game)
Rayman (classic 2D platformer)
Mighty Flip Champs! (platform puzzler)
Alphabounce (long, extensive brick-breaking RPG)
Soul of Darkness (quality Castlevania knockoff)
Inchworm Animation (full featured animation studio)
Zenonia (great Zelda-style RPG)
Ivy the Kiwi? Mini (weird little platform puzzler)
Mighty Milky Way (gravity-based puzzler from the Shantae people)
Dragon Quest Wars (tiny strategy game)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (great puzzler)
Castle of Magic (action platformer)
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (just...what)
Chronos Twins (interesting dual screen mechanic action game)
Plants vs. Zombies (duh)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (if you haven't played it yet)
Viking Invasion (tower defense)
Gaia's Moon (side scroller action)

Free games via Club Nintendo:

Nintendo is now allowing players to buy download games for their Wii, DSi, and 3DS via the Club Nintendo website. All first party games, and some third party titles, offer codes that you can enter on the official Nintendo website. Fill out a survey and earn coins (and an additional follow-up survey for extra coins). The coins can buy a variety of posters, cases, and various neat stuff. But the games are where it's at. Every month, Nintendo is offering up four games to download. Here's the current list:

Art Academy: First Semester - 3DS (150 coins)
Mario Party 2 - Wii (150 coins)

Featured Applications:

Nintendo Video: A free download app that randomly adds short 3D movies to watch. Blue Man Group, College Humor, and Dreamworks have all contributed.
SwapNote: A free download app that allows you to send notes, pics, and sound clips to friends via Street Pass or Spot Pass.
Netflix: Link your account to your 3DS to watch (2d) movies on the small screen.
Hulu Plus: Just like Netflix, link your account to watch TV shows on the go.
3D movie recording: Record up to 10 minutes of 3D footage and upload it to youtube.
Game demos: Download demos of upcoming 3DS releases.
System Transfer: Transfer information from an existing DS, DSi, or 3DS to a 3DS. Great for when the inevitable redesign hits the scene.
A full list of additional built-in software can be found on Nintendo's 3DS site.

Other final things to do as a 3DS owner:

Connect with fellow PA people

Sir Ultimos has created a friend code matching system for us to easily connect with each other. Check it out: Sir Ultimos web site and friend code matcher.

Extend that battery life
The 3DS does have a less then optimal battery life, but Nyko has released a battery pack to great reviews. See for yourself if you're interested:
Lunker wrote: »
And yes, that Nyko battery review on Joystiq really got me excited:
'll stop with the suspense: does the Power Pak + work? Pretty much! Here are the results of my experiment.

3D on, brightness maximum, wireless on:
Nyko Power Pak +: 5:33
3DS battery: 2:52

3D off, brightness at minimum, Power-Saving on, wireless off:
Nyko Power Pak +: 9:04*
3DS battery: 4:40

*only tested once, because it took nine hours

Plus it doesn't look nearly as bulky as people were saying:

nyko3312.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Whaaaa? A 3DS thread? Can it be?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Thank you Mr. Raz the Benevolent for this digital space in which we can freely discuss things that are 3DS.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wow, never thought we'd see this again. It's like Christmas.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Should add the Nyko Power Grip to the battery extender section. It's fantastic and no unscrewing things!

I've been playing some SteelDiver and the game is pretty terrible. It's a 2D sub game where you navigate through caves and avoid other subs and mines and obstacles. It's sluggish enough you can't call it arcade style controls, but responsive enough you can't really call it a sim either. It's awkward.

It does have two neat modes though, Periscope Strike which gives you a periscope view and you can sink ships while you literally and physically spin around to change your view. And Steel Commander, which is a battleship-style strategy game where you control a fleet and a sub. Using sonar makes your sub visible, but then you can find their ships as well. If you move your sub into a hex where their ships are, you can use Periscope Strike to sink the ships, but if they move into your hex then it's a game of "rock, paper, scissors" where you can move to 50m, 100m, or 150m depth and they choose where to detonate the depth charges. If they pick the same depth you did, you get hit.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Ooh I might check out that Nyko battery.

Pretty much the only game I'm getting for the system this year is Dream Drop Distance.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Ooh I might check out that Nyko battery.

Pretty much the only game I'm getting for the system this year is Dream Drop Distance.

Besides the games already out, I'm getting:

Heroes of Ruin
    Mario Tennis Open
    Kingdom Hearts 3D
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
    Luigi's Mansion 2 (if it's released this year)
    Paper Mario (if it's released this year)

And who knows how many download titles.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I have Ocarina, Kid Icarus, and RE: Revelations. Ocarina alone I'll spend months playing. I'll probably get a few more eShop games though.

edited April 2012
    Heroes of Ruin looks FANTASTIC. Might be a day 1 for me just to join whoever else buys it for multiplayer and buying/selling gear on the market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG1g8lqg7aM

edit: Listening to the new Thousand Foot Krutch album, and in the song "I Get Wicked" has a line: "P.S. Don't play me like a 3DS" Oddly I never caught that line before now when I was making this post in the 3DS thread. I had to replay it to make sure I hear it right. LOL

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Whoa, hello again 3DS thread! Nice to have you back! Thanks Raz!

Yes, thank you Raz! That should have been my first post!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    thanks for reinstating the thread, raz

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
    Heroes of Ruin looks pretty good but it's coming out to closely to KH 3D to my taste.

wirehead26 wrote: »
    Heroes of Ruin looks pretty good but it's coming out to closely to KH 3D to my taste.

It comes out a month before. Plenty of time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Today is a truly awesome day. Thank you SO much for the reinstatement.

I've been replaying Pokemon White lately - I'm getting ready to preorder RollerCoaster Tycoon 3DS soon though - has there been much released on it other than a teaser trailer?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Huzzah! Someone buy Rhythm Thief and tell me if it's any good. Similarly did anyone ever pick up Lautrec?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Huzzah! Someone buy Rhythm Thief and tell me if it's any good.

I've got it preordered but I totally forgot about it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    Half of me wants to recommend Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy because if you ignore the win-button special moves, it provides nice, solid and familiar Ace Combat gameplay, and retreads AC2's missions.

The other half wants to recommend Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy so that others can join me in laughing at the truly awful ending theme, which starts out promisingly, with some nice orchestra and Noel singing about various flying and phoenix-rising-from-the-ashes kind of themes, then inexplicably descending into playground taunting. Actually, fuck it- just listen:

youtube.com/watch?v=VELpIlgVDGQ

lol

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Woo, Raz you are awesome! :D

Welcome back old friend!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    It feels like home :)

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Aw sweet, new 3DS thread.

Colours 3D got released in europe yesterday without me noticing so I picked it up today. So far I have drawn a dragon and gotten embarrassed that everyone else stuff is way better than mine. Still it's a pretty neat little thing, and as I don't have a tablet lets me work on my ability to doodle digitally.

I don't suppose there's been any news as to the localisation of any of the 3DS Monster Hunter games yet? That would make my day.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Aw sweet, new 3DS thread.

Colours 3D got released in europe yesterday without me noticing so I picked it up today. So far I have drawn a dragon and gotten embarrassed that everyone else stuff is way better than mine. Still it's a pretty neat little thing, and as I don't have a tablet lets me work on my ability to doodle digitally.

I don't suppose there's been any news as to the localisation of any of the 3DS Monster Hunter games yet? That would make my day.

Well, nothing really solid, but I'd suggest you clock in for the European Nintendo Direct coming up. I'm quite certain there'll be some good stuff coming from that presentation, and it should make for pretty good entertainment.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have a feeling Capcom is aware of the different needs of countries that are not Japan when it comes to multiplayer, namely, that local doesn't cut it in this day and age. We need online and we need it free, which Nintendo wisely realized for the release of Tri on Wii (Japan had a pay model).

The game may be mired in addressing whether or not international audiences will buy a local-only multiplayer game in a series that is not super popular outside of Japan. Or perhaps they're working on it but didn't want to commit to anything just yet. Or they may be working on a remix version that includes more monsters, DLC and online play and plan to localize that version and skip this entry entirely.

Comments from Capcom reps have been totally unhelpful, there have been like three statements in the past year and they're all like "oh, you'll see, we have plans for the Monster Hunter franchise overseas! Wink wink!" And there's nothing to show for it yet.

We will see!

Also the thread is back and Raz is a swell guy!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Appreciate the return of the thread. In the spirit of celebration, I feel this is an appropriate venue to mention that last night I won a Mario-themed 3DS from Nintendo Australia. I have had my own since launch so I'm going to give this one to my little bro so we can one day play more Monster Hunter together. Thanks Raz.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    Just in time, I picked up Mario 3D Land yesterday, and it's really something. I basically don't like the usual format of 3D Mario games, but having the older level structure and such is rendering this quite an enjoyable experience. Seems kinda short though? I think I'm on like World 4 or 5 and so far nothing has really been hard or held me up for any significant length of time.

Also, SO PSYCHED for Luigis Mansion. It and RE:Revelations are pretty much the reasons I bought a 3DS.

camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2012
    On the subject of Monster Hunter above, like I said in my post, today we've got another seemingly positive statement that's still not very informative:
    For instance, in a recent forum thread asking about the lack of a Tri G localization announcement thus far, Svensson replied: “There is method to the madness… that’s all I can say for now. I understand it not being clear or rational to you right now but you’ll see.”

That response wasn’t good enough either, so another thread opened up shortly after the previous one, this one asking: “So are we not getting Monster Hunter Tri G for 3DS?” Svensson’s reply in this thread was far more direct:

“Have we said that? I think it’s fair to say I’ve said everything that I can on this topic without getting myself into trouble. Please be patient.”

Bleh.
    Seems kinda short though? I think I'm on like World 4 or 5 and so far nothing has really been hard or held me up for any significant length of time.

It's not short, trust me. :) Spoiler:
    The game is twice as long as you are led to believe, and the second half is quite a bit tougher. It's mostly remixed levels from the first half with new challenges, but there are some with major changes and even entirely new levels, so it's worth going through it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Just in time, I picked up Mario 3D Land yesterday, and it's really something. I basically don't like the usual format of 3D Mario games, but having the older level structure and such is rendering this quite an enjoyable experience. Seems kinda short though? I think I'm on like World 4 or 5 and so far nothing has really been hard or held me up for any significant length of time.

I can't help but chuckle. Just wait. The games longer than you think. And it gets harder.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Japanese Nintendo Direct happening in about 30 minutes. Watch here. Noboy knows what to expect, probably just trailers of some upcoming games and one or two new minor announcements that few people will care about.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I.. It's back! :D

I expect nothing big from this time's Nintendo Direct, but at least we'll get some footage of Project X Zone if nothing else.

Oh snap, they're adding folders to the 3DS home screen!!

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    FOLDERS

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    From anoop:
    12:29: A 3DS firmware update is coming soon.

This will add folder functionality to the home menu. You can store up to 60 items in a single folder. You can also give names to each folder. The first character of the name is shown in the folder's icon.

The firmware will also add support for software version up/patches. They will first patch Mario Kart 7 to fix some shortcut issues with the game.

:o

About fucking time. Finally won't have 500 icons on my home screen.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    All the fun of Resident Evil 4 on your home menu

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Also I think I saw something about Twitter. Maybe a Twitter app?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Also patching that MK 7 level.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular

Also patching that MK 7 level.

Thank god.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
    New Super Mario Bros 2 in August.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Where is the US feed? I thought the US version was starting now :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Where is the US feed? I thought the US version was starting now :(

I don't think they're having an actual event. Their twitter said to check back around 8:30, so they might just be tweeting.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    They did.
    We’re releasing a special 20th anniversary Wii disc of your favorite Kirby games. RT for the best pink superhero!

This discussion has been closed.