As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Pyromancy is indeed strong and the fact that you can do good with it without investing souls or weight makes it stronger than most. But you can be extremely strong with just about anything in this game.

Melee is weak? Hardly. Try a High Strength character with an upgraded Zweihander and a good shield and tell me that's weak.

RainbowDespair on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    Magic in Demon's Souls actually is legitimately broken and is by far the path of least resistance. They really fixed it up in Dark Souls by switching over to the DnD style limited casts system and putting INT/Faith requirements on the best spells.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I disagree entirely, but I'll leave it there. I wish in many ways I had played Pyromancer first so I could say "Well the game was pretty easy", because that's exactly my experience with what Pyromancy (or I guess more accurately, magic) does compared to using melee. It's pretty obvious there is a path of least resistance using magic and then there is doing it the standard sword/shield way.

I only wish that I had played Demon Souls for more of a logical comparison for how magic was treated in that game.

dude, nobody is saying it doesn't tone down the difficulty, it just doesn't invalidate an entire playthrough, and more importantly almost every type of playstyle has the same ridiculous power progression if you know what's going on. no-death runs are a function of your experience with the game, not your build.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Melee is weak? Hardly. Try a High Strength character with an upgraded Zweihander and a good shield and tell me that's weak.

I went through the entire game with a BKS that literally dropped off the first ever Black Knight I killed (I know, amazing luck!). The point is that going through the game with melee takes much more skill than whoring magic, which doesn't. But the point of Pyromancy is that you can STILL use that excellent BKS and shield, AND have your anti-anything you want to die in particular arsenal. That's what makes it utterly ridiculously viable.

Either way, I am buying another copy of the game back (always regretted trading it in) soon. I really hope they release the new PC content as DLC (have they said anything yet?). Oh and on 360. Just so you know.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    Magic in Demon's Souls actually is legitimately broken and is by far the path of least resistance. They really fixed it up in Dark Souls by switching over to the DnD style limited casts system and putting INT/Faith requirements on the best spells.

This. I just magic nuked my way through bosses. I didn't even bother picking up a bow for long range enemies because of it. Light Weapon on a Blueblood Sword is almost ungodly powerful.

Almost done with the game. Going to 1-4 now...

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    Yeah, in Demon's Souls, it wasn't hard to essentially get unlimited MP (either through MP regen or just getting more MP restoration items than you knew what to do with). At least in Dark Souls, the more powerful spells can only be used a few times before going back to a bonfire.

Well, beat Demon's Souls. Was kinda disappointed with the final boss. You know the Old King Allant fight? I was expecting THAT as the final boss. Not some hopping blob trying to swing a sword with no luck. Whatever. I got to level 125, a suitable pvp level.

Speaking of PVP, the funniest shit happened:

I was running away from the Blue Dragon, when suddenly some jerk invaded. "I don't have time for this!" I exclaimed, and ran further ahead. I got the Mausoleum Key from Ostrava, ran off past the Rune Sword/Shield Black Phantom, and as soon as I activate the elevator, I see the guy running up behind me. "Ha-HA!" I exclaimed, as he swung his sword in vain. Was a good laugh.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That's why you should do 1-5 last. Very appropriate final fight.

So is OKA, technically. It's a cautionary tale.

1-5 is my favorite stage in the game, just because of how varied it is.

wVEsyIc.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Woo! Anor London bosses down! Not in the order I wanted but damn that super fast lightning dude.

Which of the next four should I go after now?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'd say the Duke's Archives, since you're right there.

wVEsyIc.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    you need to go back and place the lordvessel at firelink before you can enter the Archives, though

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    World 3 in DeSo is goddamn terrifying. The Latvian prison I think. Its ridiculously easy to kill the enemies there but the entire atmosphere there........ *shudders*

Big Isy wrote:
    World 3 in DeSo is goddamn terrifying. The Latvian prison I think. Its ridiculously easy to kill the enemies there but the entire atmosphere there........ *shudders*

Have you been to world 5 (Valley of Defilement) yet? Now that place is TRULY terrifying.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Now I don't want to go there :(

Incidentally, I've only completed 1-1 yet, farming for better gear to help with the rest.

I think 3-1 is a bit scarier than 5-1, it's just a lot easier to die in 5-1 due to carelessness. Overall, 3-1 scares me way more, because it takes longer to do no matter how you slice it. 5-1 & 2 can be breezed through once you know it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh damn it that boss fake out scared the crap out of me in the archives

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think 3-1 is a bit scarier than 5-1, it's just a lot easier to die in 5-1 due to carelessness. Overall, 3-1 scares me way more, because it takes longer to do no matter how you slice it. 5-1 & 2 can be breezed through once you know it.

"Urrrr. Help!"

riiiiiing

And then your mind gets flayed

edited April 2012
    I'm debating on whether or not to make a pure-magic character for fun. A catalyst, a talisman, a pyro hand, and a shield. No weapon. High attunement, high faith, 16 Int (use the Faith catalyst), low End (since I won't be using stamina for weapons), and maybe 45 Dex for the casting speed increase. Magic-boosting rings.

RainbowDespair on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    You still need stamina to block, no? Otherwise that shield is worthless.

I'm debating on whether or not to make a pure-magic character for fun. A catalyst, a talisman, a pyro hand, and a shield. No weapon. High attunement, high faith, 16 Int (use the Faith catalyst), low Vit (since I won't be using stamina for weapons), and maybe 45 Dex for the casting speed increase. Magic-boosting rings.

Do you mean End, not Vit?

Glal wrote: »
    You still need stamina to block, no? Otherwise that shield is worthless.

True but if you don't have a weapon, all of your stamina would be used for is blocking, running, and dodging.

For example, with this build...

Crown of Dusk - 0.4
    Dingy Robe - 3
    Tattered Cloth Manchette - 1.6
    Blood-Stained Skirt - 2.5

Grass Crest Shield - 3
    Darkmoon Talisman - 0.3
    Pyromancy Flame - 0
    Tin Darkmoon Catalyst - 1

Total Weight = 11.8

You'd get maximum running and dodging without spending a single point on Endurance or needing to use any of the weight boosting rings. Your max stamina would be low but it would recharge faster than normal thanks to the Grass Crest Shield. True, you wouldn't be able to take the biggest hits, so you'd block the light & medium attacks and dodge anything heavy.

• MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    How much investment in Dex does it take for a significant casting speed increase? Do you have to go all in or does just a little bit help? I've been playing around with a Sorceror and trying to decide whether or not to pump Dex or leave it alone.

steam_sig.png
    How much investment in Dex does it take for a significant casting speed increase? Do you have to go all in or does just a little bit help? I've been playing around with a Sorceror and trying to decide whether or not to pump Dex or leave it alone.

From what I've read, Dexterity does nothing until you've pumped it up fairly high. Basically, you pump up Dexterity to 45 or you completely ignore it.

Most direct damage spells get some sort of speed bonus and most non-damage spells do not. The actual speed boost for casting varies drastically depending on the spell but with 45 Dexterity, most spells take around 60-85% of the time to cast that they would take with low dexterity.

• yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    I'm debating on whether or not to make a pure-magic character for fun. A catalyst, a talisman, a pyro hand, and a shield. No weapon. High attunement, high faith, 16 Int (use the Faith catalyst), low End (since I won't be using stamina for weapons), and maybe 45 Dex for the casting speed increase. Magic-boosting rings.

You'll need a lot more than 16 int to use the best sorceries.

edited April 2012

You'll need a lot more than 16 int to use the best sorceries.

Yeah, the point of the Int would be to use the spammable low-level sorceries to clear out trash mobs since the Soul Arrow line of spells have far more uses than any of the major Miracles or Pyromancy spells. Sorceries for trash mobs, Pyromancy & Miracles for bosses & harder enemies.

Also Sorceries would be useful for the early game since you can make your sorceries really powerful early on (Oolacile Catalyst + Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring).

Many problem with Sorcery is that it's pretty much worthless for PvP other than maybe the enchants. All of the sorcery spells are so easy to dodge.

RainbowDespair on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Can't wait for the PC release. Been playing it off and on for the past couple nights.

so whats the next place I should tackle after 1-1? I read earlier that its best to go 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc etc

Big Isy wrote: »
    so whats the next place I should tackle after 1-1? I read earlier that its best to go 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc etc

2-1 is your safest bet.

4-1 is the best if you're feeling brave.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Well, beat Demon's Souls. Was kinda disappointed with the final boss. You know the Old King Allant fight? I was expecting THAT as the final boss. Not some hopping blob trying to swing a sword with no luck. Whatever. I got to level 125, a suitable pvp level.

I was running away from the Blue Dragon, when suddenly some jerk invaded. "I don't have time for this!" I exclaimed, and ran further ahead. I got the Mausoleum Key from Ostrava, ran off past the Rune Sword/Shield Black Phantom, and as soon as I activate the elevator, I see the guy running up behind me. "Ha-HA!" I exclaimed, as he swung his sword in vain. Was a good laugh.

Old King Allant is the final boss.

JKKaAGp.png

Old King Allant is the final boss.

So what, the blob hopping around was aftermath?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    I think you meant False King Allant. The real king is the blob.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think you meant False King Allant. The real king is the blob.

Eh. Whatever. One's cool, one's just an excuse to avoid an awkward moment where you jump down the super large hole again. The False King should have been what the final boss was like. I guess that's why they kind of made Gwyn similar.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    I had such a hard time with Gwyn until I realized I could parry his attacks.

Then I beat him 3 ways from sunday like a red haired stepchild.

• TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    in my last fight with gwyn I also came pre-armed with this knowledge for the first time

"no gwyn, why are you doing the long sweep attack 5 times in a row? I respect you too much to see you go out like this..."

(cool, sane people have dialogues like this. really!)

Torgairon on
    I actually assumed you couldn't parry him - I had no idea why but that just seemed like it would be obvious final boss deisgn. But nope, he's perfectly susceptible to that and as soon as you realize that if you're any good at Parrying, that's the end of him.

gjaustin wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

2-1 is your safest bet.

4-1 is the best if you're feeling brave.

I'm feeling stupid so 4-1 it is!

4-1 isn't bad. You just want something that can do some decent damage. The Rune Sword or a Dragon Longsword, for instance.

2-1 is REALLY easy though, if you have a spear. The boss is one of the harder ones, though.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    I reached the boss in 1-2... I need a stronger bow D:

Planned on running through 4-1 but apparently I quit out the game whilst in 1-2 already.

Planned on running through 4-1 but apparently I quit out the game whilst in 1-2 already.

This discussion has been closed.