As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You know what'd be fantastic?

If with the removal of used games, customers bought less new games.

That'd tickle the piss out of me.

Sigtyr on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Itagaki may cry ~ 90k (total).
    To date, Sonic Generations across all retail platforms isn't that much more than Sonic Colors DS. That's not including Japan.
    ...You know, considering the stereotypes about being teh kiddie and Sega openly admitting that Sonic is aimed mostly at kids at this point, you would think Generations on the Wii would be a no brainer.

I wonder how well the 3DS version did?

I doubt it did well, simply because 3DS lacks the install base of other platforms, and it also seems to be widely known that it's not a really great version of the game. Serviceable but short, and clearly phoned-in in a few ways. I like that they tried to differentiate it with some new levels but I couldn't justify giving it a chance with the reception it got, and also when I got Generations on Steam for $10. Maybe someday in an Amazon sale...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Itagaki may cry ~ 90k (total).
    To date, Sonic Generations across all retail platforms isn't that much more than Sonic Colors DS. That's not including Japan.
    ...You know, considering the stereotypes about being teh kiddie and Sega openly admitting that Sonic is aimed mostly at kids at this point, you would think Generations on the Wii would be a no brainer.

I wonder how well the 3DS version did?

The only numbers I can find are from VGChartz.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Sigtyr wrote: »

That's basically what I would end up doing. I'm not buying a console that stops me from renting, borrowing, or buying used games.

If all three new consoles did that, which they won't all do it even if one does, I'll go back to being a PC only gamer.

That's basically what I would end up doing. I'm not buying a console that stops me from renting, borrowing, or buying used games.

If all three new consoles did that, which they won't all do it even if one does, I'll go back to being a PC only gamer.

This, same as a digital-only future. I would love to see what happens when one out of three says "hey guess what, no more brick and mortar and/or you can't resell your games" and the other two are like
    SeeGs.jpg

Of course with the current state of things we wouldn't get a good picture of the impact on sales, but it'd be interesting to see nonetheless.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I hear that. There isn't a single franchise on consoles that I'd just need to pick up a console for; I could be perfectly content using my PC and getting crazy good deals on fantastic games that let me mod them and will generally look better anyway after the first 6 months to a year. PC gaming gets away with almost no used sales specifically because of those low prices, too. Why in the world would you try to dredge up a physical copy of a game when you can find it for less than ten bucks and it will download and install itself on your computer?

I guess the lesson there would be that if you drop your prices, people will prefer to buy your new copies instead of dredging up used copies and then you won't even have to bother with breaking the shit out of your new console to keep people from using the used market. Imagine that.

Not to mention that I have no doubt that configuring a console so it won't accept used games would never hold up in court.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I guess the lesson there would be that if you drop your prices, people will prefer to buy your new copies instead of dredging up used copies and then you won't even have to bother with breaking the shit out of your new console to keep people from using the used market. Imagine that.

Not to mention that I have no doubt that configuring a console so it won't accept used games would never hold up in court.

In a European court. I'd imagine it could be up to individual state legislation in the US, since consumer protection laws are a bit tough to uphold on a Federal level - though I gotta admit I haven't exactly looked into the matter all that much.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Zephiran wrote: »

In a European court. I'd imagine it could be up to individual state legislation in the US, since consumer protection laws are a bit tough to uphold on a Federal level - though I gotta admit I haven't exactly looked into the matter all that much.

Even in the US, locking out the used market would practically be begging for a class-action lawsuit. Not to mention the often-hated Gamestop would devote loads of money to making sure the elimination of used market can't happen that way. It would get bumped up the court system pretty quick considering the money involved, although any system that gets released and blocks used games is going to tank long before the issue even needs to be resolved.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nah, it's very easy to get rid of the used game market without being sued or anything like that. Of course, in the process, you also have to get rid of the physical game market. This can either prove to be extremely successful (iPhone or the PC market practically) or a huge failure (PSP Go).

RainbowDespair on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It really wouldn't be that difficult to eliminate the used game market.

PC gaming did it years ago when CD keys became the norm.

That isn't to say the major consoles are going to go that way any time soon, but it'd be incredibly simple.

edited April 2012
    I don't understand how it wouldn't hold up in court. It's their platform, their rules. There're already a lot of consumer items that can't be resold for one reason or another, some of them because their product key has already been used, and some for no other reason than being marked "not for individual resale."
    Maybe I'm just bitter since I was busted for reselling packs of Capri Sun.
    Not really.

UncleSporky on
    I don't understand how it wouldn't hold up in court. It's their platform, their rules. There're already a lot of consumer items that can't be resold for one reason or another, some of them because their product key has already been used, and some for no other reason than being marked "not for individual resale."
    Maybe I'm just bitter since I was busted for reselling packs of Capri Sun.
    Not really.

Well, I used to sell those type of items at various neighborhood garage sales. Especially packaged cookies.

As for holding up in court, depends on the state. California did just have the GameStop thing where they got hit thanks to the original packaging. You would think everyone would understand that used means "as is" but I guess not.

That and if the lawsuit got in front of a jury...

But back to my comment before. No way all 3 hardware companies do that. If EA and Activision care that much about stopping used games, they can design their own consoles.

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    It's honestly pretty simple economics - people only have so much money to spend. If you effectively raise the price of games by eliminating used sales without simultaneously providing for the savings they introduced, people will buy fewer games.

Publishers will bank on the notion that most of the losses in overall sales in such a situation will be borne by Gamestop and the like - though I don't know if they're honestly considering how many people buy games new knowing that they can recoup some of that cost by selling it back.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    Nintendo Direct thing starting now.

Again, expect nothing, just talk about already-announced games. In Japanese, which you do not understand.

Pokemon AR. Sweet. :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Nah, it's very easy to get rid of the used game market without being sued or anything like that. Of course, in the process, you also have to get rid of the physical game market. This can either prove to be extremely successful (iPhone or the PC market practically) or a huge failure (PSP Go).

Well yeah, that's why I brought up the PC thing and DD sales. The PC market has already more or less done away with used games, but at the cost of the physical market. And it's certainly worked, but the PC side of things is still a whole different beast from consoles.

Though I can think of a way for physical media to be locked to a system, but it would require a switch to flash storage so that each stick with a game on it could be locked to a system. Naturally, that sounds ridiculous, but no less ridiculous than trying to do away with used sales because publishers are bitching.

As for the possibility of locking out used games, I just don't see that happening. In the US, there's probably at least a half-dozen major chains that would legally fight such a move. Then on the consumer side of things, there's the whole issue of alienating most of the people who own consoles. I'm not saying it could never happen, but it would be utterly freakish if all 3 companies did that.

That Project X Zone trailer really makes me want to play the game. Bad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    The 3DS is getting folders and patches with the next update. First patch is Mario Kart dealing with glitches.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    As for holding up in court, depends on the state. California did just have the GameStop thing where they got hit thanks to the original packaging. You would think everyone would understand that used means "as is" but I guess not.

That's because "used" doesn't mean "as is."

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I still can't believe that Sega didn't hire out Dimps to do a Wii version of Generations that probably would have doubled up the HD consoles and PC combined.

Nintendo has had the leading platform for Sonic game sales since the GCN. Pretty sure SA2:B even outsold SA2 on the DC!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

That isn't to say the major consoles are going to go that way any time soon, but it'd be incredibly simple.

I've made peace with only being able to buy one or two used PC games a year. Sometimes none. I'd miss it on consoles, but it wouldn't be that new. Amazon.com will still have sales for new games--which is basically where I get all my PC sales, since they match each Steam sale.

Synthesis wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

I've made peace with only being able to buy one or two used PC games a year. Sometimes none. I'd miss it on consoles, but it wouldn't be that new. Amazon.com will still have sales for new games--which is basically where I get all my PC sales, since they match each Steam sale.

Just out of curiosity, what PC games do you even manage to find used that end up being cheaper used with physical copies than through online sales? Because with online sales, I can't even keep up with all the games I end up getting for cheap as it is.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    From an economic stand point, getting rid of used games would be for the best in the long term market.

While for a quarter or two things might be somewhat grim, every major publisher is publicly owned. There will be year over year drop off of sales were the used credit market to vanish.

This would force publishers to retool how the sell and price projects.

This isn't even like crazy Pachter style analyst BS, this is just simple market projection.

Admittedly this move may also kill more niche genre, but even nis, atlus and xseed manage to stay profitable and they rarely sell full 60$ games.

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    For the life of me I can't really think of any (non pc centric) western mid-ranged publishers like those you mentioned

steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae wrote: »

That's because "used" doesn't mean "as is."

http://xkcd.com/386/

Spoit wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't really think of any (non pc centric) western mid-ranged publishers like those you mentioned

Probably because must get in under ea or ms/Sony under their partnership programs and such.

That and unlike western pc games, western console games have to have mind bleeding graphics or the audience is pretty non receptive on a grand scale.

And the console mentality right now in the west seems to be "go big or go home" while PC and mobile devs seem perfectly okay with moderate success.

steam_sig.png
    From an economic stand point, getting rid of used games would be for the best in the long term market.

While for a quarter or two things might be somewhat grim, every major publisher is publicly owned. There will be year over year drop off of sales were the used credit market to vanish.

This would force publishers to retool how the sell and price projects.

This isn't even like crazy Pachter style analyst BS, this is just simple market projection.

Admittedly this move may also kill more niche genre, but even nis, atlus and xseed manage to stay profitable and they rarely sell full 60$ games.

Like Rainbow said, that's not gonna happen until consoles become wholly detached from a physical medium. As it is, there are millions of console owners who don't have access to a decent internet connection. Broadband would need to become completely ubiquitous for a move to DD-only sales to not completely destroy console gaming in general, or at least chop it down enormously in size.

I don't think that transition would be successful with Sony and Microsoft as they are, either. Part of what makes PC DD work so well is that there are several sources to buy from, but each of those companies would want tight-fisted control over those DD sales.

I'm thinking it'll be a long while before the publishers can get rid of used game sales like they'd want without having console gaming collapse; not only does online architecture need to develop further, but the companies who would be in control of those used-free consoles would also need to develop the competence necessary to not turn the whole thing into a complete, overpriced disaster.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I would love to see the explosion that would result when the first reports of hacking consoles to play legitimate used games come in.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    You wouldn't have to do away with physical media.

I don't see where that concept even comes from.

Again, nis, atlus, arksys and xseed offer awesome physical collections with cool swag. Hell, the deluxe editions are usually their 60$ entry.

The way companies do things would have to change, obviously, but that won't happen until they are forced.

Hell most earnings losses currently seem to stem from buying out studios, canceling half done projects and over extending on other projects in some vain hope of a cod level of success.

Maybe being forced to reconsider their practices by simple earnings loss due to high prices might make them actually consider doing proper development work instead of just throwing millions at the graphics budget.

steam_sig.png
    You wouldn't have to do away with physical media.

I don't see where that concept even comes from.

Again, nis, atlus, arksys and xseed offer awesome physical collections with cool swag. Hell, the deluxe editions are usually their 60$ entry.

I was talking about physical media as pertaining to getting rid of used game sales. I don't see any reason why physical collector/special items would go away, but it's just not feasible for consoles to eliminate the used game market, keep physical copies of games, and have a console gaming market that's more than a fraction of what it is now. Even if a game only needs a connection to the internet to verify or lock a game disc to a console, that's still going to immediately turn off tens of millions of people to the console market and be a disaster in general. Even more so if all of the next-gen systems went completely DD, since then you'd need a good net connection to get anything, which many people who own consoles don't have.

As for dropping revenues forcing publishers to rethink trying to build CoD-sized hits all the time, I don't think that'll happen anytime soon either and there's been evidence for years that it's a terrible business strategy. Many of the publishers we have now will go out of business before they can grow some common sense; I don't see any major change coming on that front until stupid publishing decisions start forcing companies out of business and letting new companies come forward.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Animal Crossing should help boost the 3DS further for a few months.

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    I wonder what type of bombs Nintendo is going to drop at E3?
    Metroid Dread

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I have the feeling we're going to see annual Mario games from now on, perhaps alternating between 3DS and Wii U titles to make it feel not quite as whored out as Activision titles. If I had to guess, I don't think the Wii U Mario title will be a launch title like everyone expects, rather it will be their big fall 2013 game.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    That or Nintendo will try to release them early in the consoles life. Top tier Mario games like the 2D platformers and karts sell well for years with no price drop. Might as well get them out early.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Huh, I guess Mario pretty much has been annual, aside from 2008.

2006-New Super Mario Bros
    2007-Mario Galaxy
    2009-New Super Mario Bros Wii
    2010-Mario Galaxy 2
    2011-Super Mario 3D Land
    2012-New Super Mario Bros 2
    I'm calling it now: 2013-New Super Mario Bros Mii

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Huh, I guess Mario pretty much has been annual, aside from 2008.

2006-New Super Mario Bros
    2007-Mario Galaxy
    2009-New Super Mario Bros Wii
    2010-Mario Galaxy 2
    2011-Super Mario 3D Land
    2012-New Super Mario Bros 2
    I'm calling it now: 2013-New Super Mario Bros Mii

Luigis mansion...then at the very end of the life cycle, we finally get paper Mario ;(

steam_sig.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I don't mind if a Mario platformer comes out every year, especially if they keep alternating between 2d and 3d games, since they are such different styles of game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    2014: Super Mario Galaxy 3 please!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I dunno, I was pretty done with Mario Galaxy by the time I got all the non-green stars in Galaxy 2. 3D Land was alright because I could play it in short spurts on the bus, but I doubt I'd get super excited for a Galaxy 3. I'd still buy it because, you know, it'll probably be a really damn strong game. But I also won't shed a tear if we never see another entry into the franchise either.

Undead Scottsman on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'm excited about a new Animal Crossing.

Here's hoping that Nintendo brings over the Style Savvy sequel as well.

Once those two drop I'm gonna pick up a Pink 3DS for my girlfriend along with both of 'em.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
This discussion has been closed.