As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Why the hell aren't the Annihilators there to stop the Phoenix Force?

Damn thing is going around blowing up planets so it's not like they haven't heard.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    They're busy fighting the Double Phoenix Force

Priorities, man

In WatXM
    You see that Gladiator knows.
    He sends some super assassins to kill Hope, while he himself travels to Earth to save his son

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying AvX, even if it is just popcorn summer franchise event. Aaron's bits are really good, though.

That said, why is Avengers #25 set on the Avengers Tower? I thought it was destroyed during Fear Itself?

Also this is your obligatory monthly eeeeee Defenders post. Although I didn't notice how much I liked the gutter text until this issue, when it was all inacessible.

huntresssig.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    With five writers, two of which I would say are at their prime right now in Hickman and Aaron, I was expecting this event to have more cohesion and a better reason for the rift between the two teams.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    That said, why is Avengers #25 set on the Avengers Tower? I thought it was destroyed during Fear Itself?

I have no idea how much time passed between Fear Itself and AvX, but after Fear Itself Cap and Tony said they were going to use Thor's money that was supposed to rebuild Asgard to rebuild the Tower instead.

Hensler wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

I have no idea how much time passed between Fear Itself and AvX, but after Fear Itself Cap and Tony said they were going to use Thor's money that was supposed to rebuild Asgard to rebuild the Tower instead.

Ohhh right now I remember that. Okay, just blaming Bendis for abrogated storytelling then.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think it is terrible at all

is it a bold new direction in comics or a literary masterpiece?

Hell no

but it is fun and I am enjoying it

Pretty much this!

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I'm another enjoying AvX. It's not mindblowing or anything, but it's good fun and still pretty early to make hard judgments on as it is.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    Honestly I'm thinking these two issues established the premise and got one good fan-pleasing fight out of everyone, now we're going to move on to the event really opening up and coming into its own.

huntresssig.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The new Avengers Tower premiered in Avengers Assemble

CYpGAPn.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    is there a full breakdown on writer/artists for each issue and when they switch to the next member of the team?

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    is there a full breakdown on writer/artists for each issue and when they switch to the next member of the team.

Think it's Bendis, Aaron, Brubaker, Hickman, and Fraction in that order for issues 1-5 with JRJR doing art duties, and I'm assuming it's the same thing with issues 6-10 with Coipel on art chores. Issues 11 and 12 I guess will be Kubert and Bendis/Aaron.

I may have gotten Hickman and Fraction mixed up.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Did anyone post the preview for Inc Hulk 7.1?

I have no idea what's going on, but it looks great:
    prv12165_pg1.jpg
    prv12165_pg2.jpg
    prv12165_pg3.jpg
    prv12165_pg4.jpg
    That's right Hulk, you enjoy yourself

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    That Hulk preview has a 'Hellboy goes on vacation' kinda vibe.

And that's a pretty awesome thing.

There need to be more happy Hulk stories. And more Hulk riding a dinosaur and hot tubbing in lava stories, for that matter.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Man, whoever's coloring Jefte Palo there (kind of looks like Martin or Milla), is really bringing a cool quality to his work, that's usually absent.

And I'm a huge fan of Palo, so that's saying something.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think it is terrible at all

is it a bold new direction in comics or a literary masterpiece?

Hell no

but it is fun and I am enjoying it

Well...
    TexiKen wrote: »
    With five writers, two of which I would say are at their prime right now in Hickman and Aaron, I was expecting this event to have more cohesion and a better reason for the rift between the two teams.

...this is pretty much my point. Pretty much every single creator on this book has put out top-quality material that I have on my bookshelf, and it's a bummer to know that they're tied-down to working on some editorially-mandated book of the hero vs. hero concept (which, maybe I don't speak for everyone, has grown incredibly boring) instead of something fun, fresh, and original.

You know, Aaron's issue was told with a lot more flair than Bendis', and we're just a sixth of the way through this thing with no Fraction or Hickman issues yet. There's still time for it to grow in Act 2.

huntresssig.jpg
    Yeah you are talking like the event has been going on for months and we have seen everyone take a crack at it

we have had 2(3 if you count 0) issues by two different writers

we are 1/6th of the way done

CYpGAPn.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I'm digging happy bald Hulk.

Hulk has been really good lately.

Do not deny yourself the emerald flavored goodness.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    and with stuff like da Vinci showing up in K'un L'un, it's only going to get crazier

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I'm digging happy bald Hulk.

Hulk has been really good lately.

Do not deny yourself the emerald flavored goodness.

I disagree with it being good. I don't like what Aaron did.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about it. The #1 rule of writing for Marvel is putting all of your characters back where you found them when you're done.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    stop complain' about an event that never claims to not be about dudes punching each other when the dudes haven't punched each other yet

that is dumb

7656367.jpg
    TLB as the voice of wisdom?

Never thought I'd see the day.

I have ALWAYS been the voice of wisdom

7656367.jpg
    hahaha

good one

The voice of wisdom, isn't that showing up in JL Dark?

huntresssig.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    holy crap that hulk preview is gorgeous, beautiful, awesome, hilarious and touching. It made me like hulk

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    stop complain' about an event that never claims to not be about dudes punching each other when the dudes haven't punched each other yet

that is dumb

But I can't even understand what they're punching dudes about! What's the point of even taking Hope into 'protective custody'? Are they gonna put her in a Starktech super-anti-absorbing-phoenix-power vault? That is dumb.

Zyrxil on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Zyrxil wrote: »

that is dumb

But I can't even understand what they're punching dudes about! What's the point of even taking Hope into 'protective custody'? Are they gonna put her in a Starktech super-anti-absorbing-phoenix-power vault? That is dumb.

As I recall, it was clearly stated that they were going to take Hope off of Earth so that when the Phoenix did catch up, she wasn't on a planet with living things, and thus there was no risk of a world getting burned to crispers if she went nuts. Seems like a fairly reasonable idea for super scientists to come up with to me.

Cyclops, however, didn't like that idea and blasted Captain America. And now everyone is punching each other.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

that is dumb

As I recall, it was clearly stated that they were going to take Hope off of Earth so that when the Phoenix did catch up, she wasn't on a planet with living things, and thus there was no risk of a world getting burned to crispers if she went nuts. Seems like a fairly reasonable idea for super scientists to come up with to me.

Cyclops, however, didn't like that idea and blasted Captain America. And now everyone is punching each other.

Never stated, at least in the main titles. AvX 1, Cap says he needs to put Hope in protective custody. Cyclops tells Cap the exact same thing Cap told him in Children's Crusade: "This is a *my team* problem, we'll handle it. Walk away."

The only consistency is Wolverine wanting to shank both Scarlet Witch and Hope.

Cap didn't call up Cyke and ask if he needed help. He rolled up with a full compliment of Avengers and a Helicarrier. If someone walks into your hours with a loaded gun to "ask" you a question, see if you're not on edge.

For all the shit they talk about the Phoenix it's been to meet the X-Men multiple times over the years (Dark Phoenix, Rachel, New X-Men, Warsong, Endsong). The world is still here. Cyclops doesn't get in Reed's face when Galactus shows up.

No, the story makes no sense given any internal consistency.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.

that is dumb

Never stated, at least in the main titles. AvX 1, Cap says he needs to put Hope in protective custody. Cyclops tells Cap the exact same thing Cap told him in Children's Crusade: "This is a *my team* problem, we'll handle it. Walk away."

For all the shit they talk about the Phoenix it's been to meet the X-Men multiple times over the years (Dark Phoenix, Rachel, New X-Men, Warsong, Endsong). The world is still here. Cyclops doesn't get in Reed's face when Galactus shows up.

It was said that they want to take Hope offworld, but that probably was in one of the Avenger tie-in issues.

It was also said that the reason everyone is freaking out this time is that the Phoenix is destroying worlds again on it's way back to Earth - the very first in AvX was Phoenix wiping out a civilized planet. That's what everybody if freaking out about.

I'm not really trying to defend AvX - I haven't liked the first two issues - just pointing out that some of these things have been touched upon, even if it wasn't in the main series.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I almost forgot how much I don't like how JRJR draws Spider-Woman's hair. Thanks AvX.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »

that is dumb

It was said that they want to take Hope offworld, but that probably was in one of the Avenger tie-in issues.

It was also said that the reason everyone is freaking out this time is that the Phoenix is destroying worlds again on it's way back to Earth - the very first in AvX was Phoenix wiping out a civilized planet. That's what everybody if freaking out about.

I'm not really trying to defend AvX - I haven't liked the first two issues - just pointing out that some of these things have been touched upon, even if it wasn't in the main series.

Note, the Avengers don't know about the destroyed worlds, at least according to 1 and 2. The only thing they have is Tony's energy signature radar and Nova's "it's coming". Perhaps, that's more info only in the Avenger's tie-ins?

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    edited April 2012

that is dumb

who cares

they are going to punch each other for a stupid reason

then a bad guy will show up

then they'll go oh shit let's be bros again

and then they'll punch the bad guy

and then we will learn if they are forever bros or just temporary we gotta beat up a bad guy bros

and then it will end.

that will be the whole story

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    3-3ec74c9504.jpg
    So this is Marcus Johnson now, (aka nick fury's son), and the dude on the right is the 616 Agent Coulson. Kinda silly how much different Marcus looks compared to this
    2-cc78a8beb4.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-04-25/Agent-Coulson-Avengers-movie-comic-books/54508162/1

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Well they are by two different artists

shave his head and throw goatee on the cover and they would look fairly similar

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Coulson there reminds me a lot of Happy in his comic form.

Can I just point out how that might be confusing for potential new readers to see a bald black guy with an eyepatch who looks a lot like Samuel L. Jackson and hangs around with two people who look like their movie counterparts and think he's Nick Fury but it turns out to be Nick Fury's son who just appeared six issues ago and just happens to have lost an eye too? Even in that USA Today article there's another page where it's Johnson and Coulson fighting aliens and you would think without reading the article that it's Fury and Coulson.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I do like that they reused the super soldier costume though.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
This discussion has been closed.