As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good!Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Games and Technology
Custom PA Server Online!
Okay. It's up. In the grand tradition of G&T, it is called "[PA] The Angry Dome" on US-West. I currently have it set to do CTF with all maps in rotation and Naked Spawn enabled. For those that don't know what Naked Spawn is, it means you spawn in basic armor (Pathfinder, Soldier, Jugg) and you have to visit an inventory station to kit out.
[img][/img]9db.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q2EtUe1_NE

Tribes: Ascend is a free-to-play multiplayer-only first-person shooter part of the Tribes franchise.

It features a class-based loadout system. Each loadout specifies what type of armor the player has, along with what weapons and items they carry. Each loadout supports two in-hand weapons, a set of belt items such as grenades or mines and a pack. There are three possible sizes of armor to choose: light, medium and heavy, with 3 loadouts in each weight group, for a total of 9. Players can select which loadout to use either when first joining a game, respawning or at an inventory station. Loadouts may be acquired either through an upfront payment, or through playing the game and earning experience, which can be used to purchase classes, weapons, perks and upgrades. Paid-for loadouts will be available to the user instantly, while those who choose to unlock them through playing will have a much longer wait. Upgrades to armor, weapons and perks can only be purchased by experience points. Players will be given 3 free loadouts: the Pathfinder, Soldier, and Juggernaut, when they first start playing the game, each wearing light, medium and heavy armor respectively.

Skiing and Jetpacking
400px-Ski-Jetpack.png
Reading through the controls section, you should have noticed two very peculiar tools at your disposal: Ski button, and Jetpack button. These two tools make Tribes: Ascend and the Tribes series so distinct. The two mechanics introduce many intricacies to the game. Skiing can be activated/toggled with the Space Bar and jetpacking used by pressing the RMB. Skiing doesn't have any negative effects on its user, whereas using a jetpack will drain your energy. Energy regenerates over time to a class specified capacity.

The first that needs to be mentioned is large amounts of velocity. Velocity can be easily acquired through the combination of skiing down hills and jet-packing up inclines. But why do you need velocity? Well, a foe who is not moving will be easy picking for your team. Motion throws off the enemies targeting, allowing more time for you to complete your objective (either neutralizing a target, asset or capturing a flag).

The second is that jetpacking and the terrain allows players to access the z-coordinate (up-down). Each player has the ability to expel enough energy through their jetpack to rise upwards. Again, why should you care about this? The height advance in Tribes: Ascend allows the player to have better situational awareness of the battlefield. This awareness offers the player a better view of the opponents' motion so that the player may lead his shots.

Learning to shoot with Tribes Ascend unique weapons.
Most weapons in Tribes: Ascend are not your standard run-of-the-mill Hit Scan rifle, instead Tribes' weapons are projectile based. These projectiles take time to travel across the battlefield before exploding upon impacting on a surface. Due to travel time, shots must be lead in front of the unpredictable path of the target.

The classic weapon in Tribes: Ascend is the Spinfusor. The Spinfusor shoots discs that are not affected by gravity. These discs move at a moderate speed and have some splash damage upon impact. This is the perfect weapon to start out with, as it introduces the player to inheritance. Inheritance is addition of a percentage (50%) of the player's velocity on to the disc's specific velocity. There are many different Spinfusor Type weapons in Tribes: Ascend.

The question is how far do you have to lead your shots? The answer is that the faster both you and the target are travelling and the direction in which each of you are travelling makes a single answer impossible as well as your shot. A good rule of thumb is to shoot ahead of them by a few meters at common landing location where their feet will be on the ground. Shooting at a target on the ground is a lot simpler and more efficient then trying to hit them mid-air. A common mistake is to shoot for the opponent's body, but this causes missed shots to sail into terrain outside the blast radius of the projectile.

After a few games, predicting the foe's path and leading your shots will become more natural but yet still impossible. These two will allow you to be more efficient in your deathmatching skill and conservation of ammunition.

These type of weapons will arc due to gravity. Fusion Mortar, Bolt Launcher and Thumper DX are three examples of these type: each moves at a certain speed and is affected by inheritance and therefore the player needs to lead the shot for these types of weapons.

These types of weapons instantly hit the target if the 'bullet' emitted intercepts the target. Currently, Sniper Rifles, pistols (Eagle Pistol & Sparrow) and Shotguns are hitscan weapons but the Chain Gun, Assault Rifle, and the Rhino SMG are not a hitscan but instead shoot a fast moving projectile. Hitscan weapons are an interesting addition to Tribes where previously all weapons (aside from the laser sniper rifle) were projectile based.

Brief guides for all the classes:
Pathfinder
Sentinel
Infiltrator
Soldier
Technician
Raider
Juggernaut
Doombringer
Brute

Video Guides for the classes:

Useful Links
PA Players List
Official Forums
Pro Streams
Community Wiki
PA Steam Community

PNA1v.jpg
A Flock of Walrus on

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    That diagram for skiing made me think of Tiny Wings. Learn how to ski while out and about on your iPhone!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mmm that new thread smell. Love the picture in the OP. Why am I stuck at work and not playing this game? Life is unfair.

So unfair.

Also I can't wait for the next content patch.

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Updated with a video guide video section.

PNA1v.jpg
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    From the other thread:
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Half the reason that people go to grab the flag whenver they can is the get the experience. It may not be much, but if you can grab the flag a couple of times, and maybe even have a slight shot at capturing it, people think that it's definately more worthwhile to them experience-wise, than being on the winning team.

But... You don't really get experience from grabbing the flag. You get XP based on time in the match, whether you win, and then your leaderboard position. These people COST themselves experience by llamagrabbing.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    From the other thread:
    Half the reason that people go to grab the flag whenver they can is the get the experience. It may not be much, but if you can grab the flag a couple of times, and maybe even have a slight shot at capturing it, people think that it's definately more worthwhile to them experience-wise, than being on the winning team.

But... You don't really get experience from grabbing the flag. You get XP based on time in the match, whether you win, and then your leaderboard position. These people COST themselves experience by llamagrabbing.

But it shows you a number, and thus the vast majority of people assume they're being rewarded.

I think he means personal experience, as in practice, running the flag. They are never going to get better at running the flag if they just watch other people do it at 300 km/h all day. And I can understand that everyone isn't like me, who is perfectly happy to just go into free roam solo mode and practice a route until I have it pretty solid before taking it online.

Some people just don't get it though. Like heavies that try to walk the flag home. Or I've seen someone in a light come it at a decent clip, touch the flag, STOP, turn around, and then start jetting the other way. He died very quickly.

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was mainly talking about people who get the flag and then meander around in aimless circles. Honestly, if people are at least trying to improve, that's cool and all, but sooooo many of them aren't.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I'm not very good by any means...I practice my routes in actual matches, for example. If our team has good cappers then I'll follow them and learn... If the team doesn't, then I'll do the job myself. =)

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so, the matchmaking in this game

I have graduated from what I assume was the 'people who have had the game for two days and/or are otherwise completely terrible" bracket to the "everybody else who plays" bracket, and the difference has been... jarring. It seems like the game ought to distinguish between level 7 bronzes and gold players, if only because they all seem to have crazy weapons. Or maybe it does and there just aren't enough highend players queuing up

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Our first 99 page Tribes thread...*sniff*...so beautiful.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • DavidBowieDavidBowie Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/v/SlcDhPCm0dc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

hey i made this! glad you guys liked it. I have been lurking on PA forums for 3 years and this prompted me to make an account. a couple notes:

1) poopfeast420 is one of the best T:A players currently and plays for the #1 NA team, no shame in getting wrecked by him.
    2) inquisitor seems to know what he is talking about usually.
    3) sniperguy and I may have to agree to disagree.
    4) you guys should totally make a team for this: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=307&t=68428 ; would be a great way to get your feet wet playing 8v8 organized ctf which is fantastic fun.

hope you don't mind me coming to hang out in PA, I would love to share some of the things I have learned playing comp.

DavidBowie on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    DavidBowie wrote: »

hey i made this! glad you guys liked it. I have been lurking on PA forums for 3 years and this prompted me to make an account. a couple notes:

1) poopfeast420 is one of the best T:A players currently and plays for the #1 NA team, no shame in getting wrecked by him.
    4) you guys should totally make a team for this: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=307&t=68428 ; would be a great way to get your feet wet playing 8v8 organized ctf which is fantastic fun.

hope you don't mind me coming to hang out in PA, I would love to share some of the things I have learned playing comp.

Attracting pros like magnets, this thread is!

@ Everyone else, depending on interest + time commitment I am definitely down for the newblood tournament. I'll have to spec out and practice with a more common 8 v 8 class, but I'm not terribly good with the one I play now anyway, so no big loss! :D

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    That diagram for skiing made me think of Tiny Wings. Learn how to ski while out and about on your iPhone!

That was my immediate reaction upon first playing Tiny Wings

camo_sig2.png
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Suds wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »

That was my immediate reaction upon first playing Tiny Wings

Obligatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muIG22TvQ5k

ECOED.jpg
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    That video is brilliant. especially the "Shazbot!" at the end.

Gotta go fast.

steam_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I'd play Tiny Birds so much more if it were that.

camo_sig2.png
    DavidBowie wrote: »

*blushes, kicks a rock* Awww shucks you really think so? :oops:

Joking aside, welcome to the PA community! You are of course more than welcome to come and hang out with us.

A newblood tournament sounds like a really fun idea and I'm willing to throw my hat into the ring as a potential player, assuming scheduling works out for me.

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'd play in a new player tournament. I consider myself above average but not pro.

Also, Inquisitor, I added you to my friends list. Is "Inquisitor" your TA name?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    The information on the classes seems to be a bit outdated. I was reading stuff about the soldier, and it said that there are only two builds AR, thumper and spinfusor, pistol. Nothing about mixing and matching them.

I'd play in a new player tournament. I consider myself above average but not pro.

Also, Inquisitor, I added you to my friends list. Is "Inquisitor" your TA name?

WinterFlea is my TA name, should be under the PA Player List google doc thingy.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The information on the classes seems to be a bit outdated. I was reading stuff about the soldier, and it said that there are only two builds AR, thumper and spinfusor, pistol. Nothing about mixing and matching them.

You don't really want to mix or match them. Thumper and Spinfuser fill the same role. Pistol and AR same role. I mean, I have seen people use thumper and spinfuser, but it's really derpy and pointless.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I made a Juggernaut montage.

It starts out slow, bear with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNKTu-Xj6jo

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I never thought of putting a Beowulf inside the bases. Why would you do that. Why. You'd be a sitting duck.

That first kill is the best because it had to be a midair mortar collision. No way his trajectory would let him land on any surface from that height.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That is a nice route, and I'm sure it's challenging. It highlights a big problem with the map design in Tribes Ascend in my eyes, though. In past games, flag routes were refined and made fast by constant effort to improve, and they went from pretty damn fast to ridiculous, but none of the maps were big slopes pointing at a flag stand with a convenient ramp and grenades designed to push you along (nor a thrust pack).

In maps not designed like skate parks, people eventually figured out how to cap very quickly. In maps that feel like skate parks or greased up bathtubs, we've gone from insanely fast cap routes (when nitrons didn't flagdrop) to changing items to slow them down (nitrons now cause flag drop), and people still adapt and find crazy fast routes.

Give people the tools and organic environments not conveniently designed to run the flag and they will find and perfect fast routes, don't worry about that. They should be focusing on base design and overall flow of the map and offensive/defensive roles beyond - flag runner <> flag chaser <> heavy on flag - the solution they are trying for right now seems to be "well, just make the other dudes better at combat by selling them upgrades" (infiltrator).

... I don't know, I enjoy the game but I think it has real potential if they'd allow for more depth at the cost of a learning curve. The game has training wheels right now, which is fine. I like that it's easy to pick up and explain to new people, which is awesome. They can do well and really improve a lot very quickly with the tooltips and things, the community seems not bad at all, etc. It just needs something to increase the skill ceiling and how long you can play before you feel like there's not much more to see or learn. I am afraid that outside buying new skirts and guns, there's nothing else there right now.

Something Completely Different:

I like the new Raindance, physics being what they are a few things feel off about the environment and some of the angles in the center riverbed but it plays nicely. It shows that old map design still works fine, and in all the matches I've played on it so far, I haven't seen any ridiculous caps in the same way you would on any of the Ascend specific maps, more terrain that results in a scramble and strange routes to get in and out with the flag are all good times as far as I'm concerned.

Edit:

Number one issue!!!!

Projectiles come out of some random point in front of you and not anywhere near the center of the screen most of the time. It would be awesome if it felt like I fire spinfuser discs out of a gun instead of squirt them out of my urethra.

Edit2: Added to the player list .doc in op, invited some folks on it as friends...

dispatch.o on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I'm really wondering why you're saying they need to increase the skill ceiling in a direct reply to a video where a player is capping so fast as to completely render chasers useless.

As for saying "they need to just have random fucking terrain and people will figure out routes", that's kind of stupid. It's kind of a good thing for the developers to have intent behind the map and available routes, insisting they not attempt to balance their own game is silly.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nice to see DavidBowie and Blinks in here. I like to watch Egocentric often. Shame Blinks isn't on the same team now, but oh well. The pro teams seem to shuffle quite often.

I would definitely be in for a Tournament, but my connection is still sketchy :cry:

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Garthor wrote: »
    I'm really wondering why you're saying they need to increase the skill ceiling in a direct reply to a video where a player is capping so fast as to completely render chasers useless.

As for saying "they need to just have random fucking terrain and people will figure out routes", that's kind of stupid. It's kind of a good thing for the developers to have intent behind the map and available routes, insisting they not attempt to balance their own game is silly.

You're misunderstanding or I am not being clear enough.

That route exists because the map was designed with huge slopes pointing at flag stands and nitron grenades to boost with.

Without either of those things, people would run the flag well. With those things people who can already run the flag well run it insanely.

Those things exist so even someone who has never played Tribes can go fast and grab flags. I am saying that going fast and grabbing the flag should require some practice, or else when you put the tools in the hands of someone who would already make incredible runs without them, they make impossible to stop runs.

As for the random terrain, I'd rather have random terrain than what we have on most of the maps right now.

Huge slopes pointed to a big flat area in the middle with a few little hills, conveniently placed ramps pointed directly at flag stands with a flag in the open and a big hill on the other side to land on and get your speed up again.

They're not balancing the game, they're rounding all the corners and streamlining parts that don't need streamlining.

Hey cool, I'd be down for that newblood tournament thing if you guys make a PA team. I think I'm reasonably good, and have some T1 / T2 experience (though nothing hardcore).

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

You don't really want to mix or match them. Thumper and Spinfuser fill the same role. Pistol and AR same role. I mean, I have seen people use thumper and spinfuser, but it's really derpy and pointless.

I run Spinfusor/Thumper because I don't have enough exp to unlock the pistol and I really like the spinfusor.

edited April 2012
    mrflippy wrote: »

I run Spinfusor/Thumper because I don't have enough exp to unlock the pistol and I really like the spinfusor.

Right, that's a good reason.

Edit: No one's ever actually playing when I check.

dispatch.o on
    I was playing until just a min ago. Been playing at random times lately. Fitting in some gaming where I can between all the school projects.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Nice to see DavidBowie and Blinks in here.
    Something something voodoo child?

I'm really enjoying how much of a great reception Ascend's been getting, questionable player skills and attitudes aside (at least the ones I get on my teams most of the time). Hopefully people will start realizing that everybody making a mad uncoordinated dash for the flag all the time while leaving your base wide open isn't such a great idea.

Also we somehow missed the best video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQ69qkbmU4

• RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    It's nice hitting a team where as soon as the round starts there's a good peppering of VSAF and VSDG - and then people actually stick to the roles they delegated themselves. I'm usually a technician and it's nice when a 'Defend our Generator!' gets a Jug or a Doom down to cover the corners.

Though dammit - I'm trying to get better at Nitron jumps. Got my first 'Gotta Go Fast!' the other night and my heart was beating out of my chest.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

This is good Winky, some solid JUG play.

You fare much better with that grenade launcher than I ever have.

• BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    so, the matchmaking in this game

I have graduated from what I assume was the 'people who have had the game for two days and/or are otherwise completely terrible" bracket to the "everybody else who plays" bracket, and the difference has been... jarring. It seems like the game ought to distinguish between level 7 bronzes and gold players, if only because they all seem to have crazy weapons. Or maybe it does and there just aren't enough highend players queuing up

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, I logged out from a game where I was consistently towards the top of the leaderboard with plenty of close one on one battles etc and logged back in later to one where a group of people 20 levels higher than me took me out without me landing a single hit.
    It really does need a mid point somewhere between the top and bottom levels. I'm gradually edging my way back in to being useful to a team but it was fairly frustrating for a while particularly as I'd just gone and bought the top gold pack before the game went from fun to depressing.

steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Garthor wrote: »

You're misunderstanding or I am not being clear enough.

That route exists because the map was designed with huge slopes pointing at flag stands and nitron grenades to boost with.

Without either of those things, people would run the flag well. With those things people who can already run the flag well run it insanely.

Those things exist so even someone who has never played Tribes can go fast and grab flags. I am saying that going fast and grabbing the flag should require some practice, or else when you put the tools in the hands of someone who would already make incredible runs without them, they make impossible to stop runs.

As for the random terrain, I'd rather have random terrain than what we have on most of the maps right now.

Huge slopes pointed to a big flat area in the middle with a few little hills, conveniently placed ramps pointed directly at flag stands with a flag in the open and a big hill on the other side to land on and get your speed up again.

They're not balancing the game, they're rounding all the corners and streamlining parts that don't need streamlining.

If the maps were not designed to have good routes then it would be harder for the average player to figure out how to do a proper flag grab. Most of the dead obvious routes are far less than ideal without doing a bunch of tricks as well. Remember that Tribes 1 maps weren't even designed to allow skiing period. There will always be an ultimate cap route regardless of the terrain - if they really want to stop the insane speed grabs, the solution is a speed cap.

Zek on
    edited April 2012
    On the whole fishbowl/skate park vs. organic looking hill thing: Kind of funny to me because by far my fastest personal route (I'm really not all that great at flag running still, getting better though) is on Raindance. I usually get my fastest grabs there (300-ish) and tend leave any chaser totally in the dust.

RisenPhoenix: I am still working on gettin good, consistent nitron jumps myself. Aim down at like a 45 degree angle and tap the jets right as it hits. Sounds easy on paper but I still whiff an embarassing amount of jumps while I'm going fast. Oh well, practice, practice, practice.

Inquisitor on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I haven't played the game nearly enough, nor as a pathfinder nearly enough, to have a great idea of high level play, but from what little I've watched it seems like high level flag capping is pretty much about using four or five predetermined routes and practicing them until you're faster than god and just doing the same damn thing every game. It seems like the ideal situation is to make yourself basically unchaseable and the defense can only really focus on trying to disrupt your routes and kill you before you're out of their base.

Which seems like a shame, because the most fun in this game by far are the high-speed chase scenes. Skiing battles are super neat, and there's nothing cooler than having the flag carrier ahead of a mixed wave of enemies and friendlies trying to defend them as they all swarm at high speed towards the base. It seems like at higher level play this is completely eliminated though because there's just no way anyone is ever going to catch up with the flag capper. Maybe I just haven't seen any really good chaser videos, though.

Putting a cap on max speed seems like a lame way to fix that, but it would work. Rather, I'd probably prefer it to just be more difficult to consistently get so fast: make it so that you can't get going like 300 without doing a couple laps around the map first or something.

Actually, the other thing I was thinking of was actually having varying terrain, so it would be actually impossible to memorize routes. That is to say, there would be physical features (primarily hills and structures around the edge of the map) that would be randomly re-arranged every time you play the map. You would have to be smart enough to figure out the ideal route every time you played the game.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I love getting

all the midairs

I really like playing soldier moreso than pathfinder, but I just am addicted to flag capping. The change in music when your ass is going blistering fast is just so satisfying

tyrannus on
    edited April 2012
    I've been playing soldier defense lately. Its a fun role to fill. Someone to engage the jugs and base attackers.

Also, an extra man around to spinfusor the flag as the PTH is flying in.

I know people say that assault rifle + thumper is the stronger combo but I just can't ditch my spinfusor! To many years of Tribes. I'm attached to it.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg