As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Guess I'm thinking of a different series

fake edit: I was thinking of the Darkness series

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That seems pretty cool. Man Turtledove has written a lot.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh man

this guy is way worse at British accents than the last guy was

it's kinda funny

I mean, they're not TERRIBLE

They just sound so

CLICHE

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @Legba thank you for the Wodehouse

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to miss out on tiny chat on saturday sorry guys I'll be away from a good Internet connection and my only Internet would be from my iPad or iPhone and they don't work with tiny chat regardless.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    @Grey Ghost You're welcome! Just glad that someone other than myself can get some use out of it. Let me know if there's anything else you would like.

I'm getting back into reading older Norwegian literature, which basically doesn't exist in ebook form, and the little that does is usually just copied straight from Project Gutenberg without any formatting. A couple of the works I listed on the previous page I had to type up by hand from a physical copy. It's kind of satisfying to be the first to put something decent like that.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    i don't understand how that many authors can work on one narrative without it being wildly uneven

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    is it not a bunch of short stories?

i guess they hollywooded it maybe

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    That shit is like something you do on a drunken dare.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Less than 5 pages in there's an exuberant moustache. Goddamn.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Mustaches? SIGN ME UP

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Just finished rereading the Hobbit and I still love it just as much as when I was a littlun.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Question that occurred to me while reading The Long Goodbye

Is Raymond Chandler's last name pronounced with a "ch" as in church or a "c" as in candle

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Ch as in Chunk

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Good, that's how I've been saying it
    I'd hate to think I'd been sounding like a fool for years

• Options
    I mean I have been sounding like a fool for years, but at least it's not for that reason

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    I finished book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire, and it feels weird not fervently reading the series anymore.

So I started The Wind Up Bird Chronicles.
    My god. The first impressions I have of these few chapters is that Jim Jarmusch dropped enough acid to send his ethereal creative perspective back in time to dance with Akira Kurosawa's brilliance. Is that weird? These chapters drift in and out with some minimalist and surreal dream like wonder.
    Anyone else read the book? I'm not that far in yet.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've read it, a bunch of other dudes have too. I ain't all that crazy about it but other folks liked it a lot better, you should talk to them.

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    roger that, talk to other dudes

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I mean we could talk about other stuff if you wanted, the weather or fashion or what goes well together on pizza. Just not that book. And I guess not in this thread.

I'd just hate for you to think I don't want to talk to you. It isn't that. You seem swell.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Th wind up bird chronicle is wonderful

I love it so

But yeah, it's not very grounded in reality

• Options
    BOOK CLUB

Okay everyone, this is the weekend to start discussing our book, Gentlemen of the Road! This evening (my Friday, your whenever) I shall be putting up a list of questions in case everyone has forgotten the details already, in order to just help things along. Feel free to discuss the book in-thread as you like! It might be helpful to give your book-club posts a big bold Book Club title, but since this thread generally doesn't move as fast as some, you could probably get away without that.

ALSO, for those who are able and interested, starting Friday at 8 p.m. EST (that's Saturday at 9:00 a.m. my time, GMT +9, figure out your own zones as you can) we will be tinychatting the book up at http://www.tinychat.com/seplusplusbookclub. Just like old drunk socialites must do. It'll be great. If you can't make it don't worry, it's just a fun little bonus and I thing I thought we'd try out.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    No english translations of the Witcher books exist. This annoys me.

A new Dark Tower book comes out next Tuesday. This excites me.

I still need to finish the Courts of Chaos. This vexes me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

There are two Witcher books that have English Editions.

One is a short story collection and the other is part of the saga.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Oops I guess I could have checked this thread for details instead of sending out a PM to the list. Sorry!

I am insanely excited about the new Dark Tower book. I may actually purchase it instead of waiting for the library to cough up a copy of it sometime next year.

• Options
    Book Club Questions

1. Gentlemen of the Road pays homage to the popular adventure stories and serials of the past. Do you feel that Chabon’s effort fits in well with the genre? What parallels did you draw while reading between this book and others that you may have read? (Re: tropes, characterization, language use, etc.)

2. In your opinion, was Chabon’s goal to simply recreate and adapt the mood of adventure stories like Robert E. Howard’s Conan or Edgar Rice Burrough’s Barsoom series’, or is he using the genre as a vehicle to deliver a deeper message?

3. The book was originally titled ‘Jews with Swords’ – do you feel that a different title would have altered your approach to the book or your opinion upon finishing it?

4. Who was more awesome, Amram or Zelikman? Or someone else entirely?

5. If you had a badass axe, what would its badass name be?

And obviously consider important questions like, Did you like the book? If so, what did you like? If not, why not?

It turns out making up questions for discussion is quite hard. If anyone has other things they want to talk about don't be hemmed in by these last-minute nonsenses, please!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am leaving in about 5 minutes to go camping and climbing in the rain for the weekend. Which is probably a good thing because from the sound of those questions you guys are gonna be having some Real Book Talk and I don't know crap about books except if I like 'em. But I look forward to reading all your thoughts when I get back!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

There are two Witcher books that have English Editions.

One is a short story collection and the other is part of the saga.

Cool beans. I think I'll get the short story collection, since there's no real point buying one book in a saga if the other aren't translated.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I am all up in http://tinychat.com/seplusplusbookclub

Fair warning, I have already imbibed certain quantities of alcamahol.

• Options
    I'm there in a second! Gotta make myself a cocktail first.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Woo!

• Options
    So, re: Gentlemen of the Road - mild spoilers ahead.

I liked it! It felt very much like a homage to classic adventure shorts, right down to being first published as a serialization and then compiled into a book. Which is great because I love those.

One quirk I noticed, which we talked a little about, is how except for the first fight between Amram and Zelikman, most of the fights happen off-stage, which I think is an interesting divergence from the genre. You hardly expect Conan to arrive at the battle, throw himself into it, and then have Howard spend several passages describing the point of view of someone else somewhere else while Conan gets on with the fighting.

@Lost Salient pointed out how Hanukkah felt more like a Spaghetti Western sidekick, which I felt is pretty apt. He's essentially a C3-P0 character. Most of the time in adventure fiction, you don't get sidekicks who are also POV characters.
    Or who have any chance of making it out alive. I was confidently awaiting his death the entire story. But since he's the bumbling sidekick, not the assistant red shirt, he's fine.

• Options
    I feel like writing a really great action scene is actually quite difficult, now that I think about it.

So many pop novels that I devour in a few hours these days, I find myself skimming the action because it's virtually nonsense in its composition.

Chabon's quite a good writer so I don't feel that's necessarily the reason in this case, but it did occur to me when we were talking about it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    guess who just ordered that library of america noir collection (the two volume one, not the six book version with chandler and hammett)

this guy

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    hmm
    i should get this gentlemen of the road book for my road trip and read it on my kindle
    and also the second joe abercrombie logen and friends book, or maybe that one that has the dog man in it

or the farfad and the mouser stuff
    maybe i should try that stuff out

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Listen if you gonna recommend Tolkien inspired metal don't recommend blind guardian.

Listen to summoning.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    One quirk I noticed, which we talked a little about, is how except for the first fight between Amram and Zelikman, most of the fights happen off-stage, which I think is an interesting divergence from the genre. You hardly expect Conan to arrive at the battle, throw himself into it, and then have Howard spend several passages describing the point of view of someone else somewhere else while Conan gets on with the fighting.

Even the fight between Amram and Zelikman glosses over a fair bit and cuts over to the onlookers at points.
    I thought this was a good thing and really fit with the feel of the rest of the book.
    Also it probably would have been kinda gory if he went into as much detail on the fights as he did with some of the other elements of the story.

• Options
    Swill wrote: »
    Listen if you gonna recommend Tolkien inspired metal don't recommend blind guardian.

Listen to summoning.

I have a really hard time with black metal
    Power metal is much more palatable to me

This discussion has been closed.