As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Myths & Monsters, of Brawls & Uprisings: The Kid Icarus Thread

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Can someone clue me in on dodging in the aerial combat stages? Not sure I'm getting it right. Is there some visual/audio cue to let you know you've done a dodge?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I got an extra set of AR cards from the GameStop event today. Gonna use them for trading if I can. If anyone is interested, let me know.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Can someone clue me in on dodging in the aerial combat stages? Not sure I'm getting it right. Is there some visual/audio cue to let you know you've done a dodge?

What do you mean by dodging? You do a dodge by flicking the analog stick back and forth (sort of like spinning in Kirby Air Ride) and it's obvious when you've done it. But are you talking about "narrowly avoiding" shots? Because that's different, and it just happens when you fly really close to a shot without getting hit. There's a sound and Pit will flash when it happens.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Aha!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    My wife and I got the last three packs there earlier tonight; the guy just handed them over, no demo or anything. It was near closing and we've both got the game, so we were cool with that.

Haven't opened any of my packs yet, though; waiting to get a good card folder to hold them. I'm hoping Club Nintendo will provide, but I'm worried such an idea is too obvious. I wish they took suggestions...

Also, I heard there's a player's guide which has yet more cards, but Amazon didn't show anything. Does anyone know about this?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    My wife and I got the last three packs there earlier tonight; the guy just handed them over, no demo or anything. It was near closing and we've both got the game, so we were cool with that.

Haven't opened any of my packs yet, though; waiting to get a good card folder to hold them. I'm hoping Club Nintendo will provide, but I'm worried such an idea is too obvious. I wish they took suggestions...

Also, I heard there's a player's guide which has yet more cards, but Amazon didn't show anything. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks, I just looked it up. Apparently the Prima Guide will have 3 cards with it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kid-icarus-prima-games/1109676775?ean=9780307895172&itm=2&usri=kid+icarus
    http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/strategy-guides/kid-icarus-uprising-official-strategy-guide/100212

And I'll probably order it for the cards. I have way too many of the things as it is, but oh well.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Khayless wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Ok, so I just bought this awesome game. I always thought the game could be fun, but you guys persuaded me into really buying it. You all better still be playing the multiplayer when I'm done with the singleplayer and got some decent swag!

Don't wait to play multiplayer, dive in now. Higher quality weapons deplete your team's health bar faster, so even new players can be useful in Light vs Dark. I dominated a few matches last night using a 250-value Atlas Club (and regular use of Slip Shot and Invisible Shot).

I ended up beating the final chapters of the campaign with a pair of Wolf Claws I won playing online. I rarely bother with achievements in games, but I'm really keen to collect all the idols and finish the treasure hunt in Uprising.

I got internet set up tomorrow, so here I come! Great game so far, btw.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    these 5.5 range/5.5 melee brawler claws i fused are incredible. every match is just ->transparency -> auto reticle -> wreck one nerd -> turn on bumble bee -> counter and wreck another nerd rinse repeat. i can chain 3 people in a row before one death even though they have -4 overall defense on them.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I'm making notes here, Iowa. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    If I'm assigned to your team. Total noob here.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    edited April 2012
    That's ok. my favorite thing is to clothesline a dude who was beating up on my ally.

if i were just starting out i'd probably use a decent bow or orbitar that has good homing. just stay at a range and use dash shots, playing to whatever buffs your weapon gives you. dash shots almost always hit harder than just standing fire. plus dashing is the only way you'll evade the bigass charge shots of clubs and whatnot. dash dash dash

i wish duplicate powers would give you hearts or something. i have like 20 super armor 3s, while it took me forever to get lightweight 4 and brief invincibility. lame

iowa on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I really wish they let you see boss health. That would have spared me several lives' worth of shooting at a particular boss whose invulnerability to direct attack is non-obvious.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    Thanks, I just looked it up. Apparently the Prima Guide will have 3 cards with it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kid-icarus-prima-games/1109676775?ean=9780307895172&itm=2&usri=kid+icarus
    http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/strategy-guides/kid-icarus-uprising-official-strategy-guide/100212

And I'll probably order it for the cards. I have way too many of the things as it is, but oh well.

I have it. The cards are Hades, Dark Pit (Flying), and Exo Tank.

Also, I picked up extras from the GameStop event. Trading fodder!

Did PAX East have booster packs? If anybody went to that, let's talk (especially if you didn't go to the GameStop event).

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I've got an extra Nintendo Power pack if anyone got an extra pack from Gamestop they'd be willing to trade.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ferquin wrote: »
    Did PAX East have booster packs? If anybody went to that, let's talk (especially if you didn't go to the GameStop event).

PAX East had packs - standard 'Series 1' packs, as well as Fire Wyrm and Kraken promos. They're going for obscene amounts on Ebay right now though.

How is the guide? I mean, is it any good or fun to read for anything beyond just tips?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    Just picked this up yesterday and tried it very quickly before having to turn in for the night. My face lit up with joy as I played, but I'm having trouble with the D-pad + L button (I'm right handed). My hand feels stiff or locked as I'm trying to do stuff on that side. I'll try the stand tonight to see if that helps with the extra support of the system.

Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

How is the guide? I mean, is it any good or fun to read for anything beyond just tips?

Also curious. It would be nice to have something that goes into more detail on stuff like fusion or what weapons/stats are actually worth using.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Or even something which acts as a sort of atlas/beastiary for the world. You know, like instruction booklets used to.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I went to a GameStop like 2 hours after the promo started and they said they were all out of their 100 pack allotment. It was crazy.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    i've been trolling in video games since i was 7 years old so im always trying to think of new things to do. right now all ive got is sitting in some far away place with a ball cannon and double item + item vacuum. you can lay a chomp trap right where the jump pad lands and watch as the guy dies and then turn him into a shrimp. or sometimes youll get two smart bombs in a row which is real overpowered and can insta kill like 3 dudes at a time. ah jea

Warlock82 wrote: »

Also curious. It would be nice to have something that goes into more detail on stuff like fusion or what weapons/stats are actually worth using.

It's pretty good. It has a walkthrough with strategies (but be careful of story spoilers), complete maps, multiplay maps (w/ respawn and item points), descriptions of all weapons, and charts for all weapon types and fusions. It also lists all the powers, all the collectable idols, and all the requirements for every tile on all the treasure hunts.

So yeah, totally worth it for all the charts and indexes. It's $19.99 retail, but I'm sure you can find it for much cheaper elsewhere.
    Or even something which acts as a sort of atlas/beastiary for the world. You know, like instruction booklets used to.

It has a full bestiary with names, a small picture, descriptions, and min/max health for both land and air.

Ferquin N.C. Root
    I went to a GameStop like 2 hours after the promo started and they said they were all out of their 100 pack allotment. It was crazy.

According to the poster that was at the GameStop I went to, they'll be doing this again on May 12th. Same cards though.

Ferquin N.C. Root
    There's a list of places and dates here:
    http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising/events/

It doesn't seem to be complete, though, because there were Gamestops listed on their website that aren't listed here.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's a list of places and dates here:
    http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising/events/

It doesn't seem to be complete, though, because there were Gamestops listed on their website that aren't listed here.

How is it this list has almost every state but mine? :( I did get the cards last weekend though, so maybe this is just places where there will actually be a rep demoing it?

I'm also curious if Best Buy has different cards...

Edit: Also my god, why is this not in alphabetical order? That's just annoying...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I finally got Warp lvl 4.

haven't tried it yet does it own.

It has a full bestiary with names, a small picture, descriptions, and min/max health for both land and air.

Cool; what about weapons, or locales? Or main characters?

As I mentioned earlier, it's got complete charts for weapons and fusions, and complete maps (even for multiplayer). There isn't really any character bios outside of idol descriptions. You pretty much get everything you need to know as you play the game.

There's lots of pretty art to look at though. I wish it had come with a poster 'cause that would've been neat.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I went by one of the Best Buy events today. I figured they'd be giving out the same 5 cards as before, but I was visiting my dad at the hospital nearby and it wasn't all that out of the way.... seemed like a good opportunity for some street passes. Turns out they were giving out the random 10 packs! I ended up with 3 packs because my sister and brother in law were with me.

Score!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah this is pretty awesome, I had to work but my bro picked me up a random pack. Some good loot in those things!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
      Nintendo announced in the European Nintendo Direct that they're teaming up with sticker company Panini to distribute Kid Icarus AR cards in Europe. There's even going to be an album to keep them in! So that's handy.

Gone.
    • KupiKupi Registered User regular
      Okay, I've completely lost patience with myself and this game. Can someone out there give me an idiot's guide to not dying on 9.0? I swear, it feels like the errors are all on my end, but damned if it's a matter of pure reflex. Should I be using continuous fire? Charged shots? Dash shots? Standing shots? Should I be manually dodging, or using the evasion move as much as I can?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
      edited April 2012
      use powers? I have a 'brief invincibility' power.

iowa on
    • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
      Kupi wrote: »
      Okay, I've completely lost patience with myself and this game. Can someone out there give me an idiot's guide to not dying on 9.0? I swear, it feels like the errors are all on my end, but damned if it's a matter of pure reflex. Should I be using continuous fire? Charged shots? Dash shots? Standing shots? Should I be manually dodging, or using the evasion move as much as I can?

1. You NEED a weapon with a high star shot rating and an overall defense modifier if you feel like you can't dodge shots. Be sure the weapon type is one you're comfortable with. I prefer weapon types that have a short range but let me move fast.
      2. Dodge shots and shoot whenever there's an opening. I know it's basic advice but really that's all you need for the ground portions. If your weapon is strong enough, you won't really have to worry too much about dodging and firing.
      3. In air battles, try flying around in a circle to dodge enemy fire.

pHWHd2G.jpg
      I went by one of the Best Buy events today. I figured they'd be giving out the same 5 cards as before, but I was visiting my dad at the hospital nearby and it wasn't all that out of the way.... seemed like a good opportunity for some street passes. Turns out they were giving out the random 10 packs! I ended up with 3 packs because my sister and brother in law were with me.

Score!

Goddamnit! I was going to go to that but I missed it 'cause I had a ton of yardwork to do... I made the stupid assumption that they'd have the same cards as the GameStop ones.

Ferquin N.C. Root
    • G0DG0D Registered User regular
      So I'm on my first (apparently there's more? Don't spoil it though!) Treasure Hunt but seemingly can't get any of the speedruns on the levels down. Disappointing. Does the "win time" clock still count during the brief interludes, "cut scenes" as they may be? Can I skip 'em?

It doesn't help that I have no goddamned clue as to what feathers do for the Treasure Hunt. Unlock individual challenges without doing them, maybe? I've not bothered spending one as they almost all seem doable, provided I have the right weapons, so I could perhaps save them up?

Nobody tell me to gamefaqs it, but don't out and out ruin it for me either, I'm having a stupendous time figuring most of this out on my own, but here and there some spoiler-free information could be very beneficial.

PS. Felt like a badass when I finally got 1st in a FfA at four in the morning, opposing nothing but some brutal Asian opponents. Yeah.

Feathers do what you think they do. I haven't used any of mine because it feels like cheating. Besides, it would be best to keep them all until you hit something you absolutely can't do.

There are a few powers that make speedruns much easier. Try some out.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
      Unless it specifies a difficulty, you can always do the speedrun at intensity 2.0. I just beat the game and almost completely ignored the treasure hunt until now. Anyone wanting to 100% this game has quite the task before them.

Does anyone know what it means that the laurel crowns on the chapter select are yellow on some and green on others?

• SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
      It means you've opened all of the intensity doors/found the zodiac room.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      edited April 2012
      If anyone here likes Brawl in the Family like I do, you'll love this:

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2012/04/16/401-swingset/

Brainiac 8 on
      3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
      G0D wrote: »
      So I'm on my first (apparently there's more? Don't spoil it though!) Treasure Hunt but seemingly can't get any of the speedruns on the levels down. Disappointing. Does the "win time" clock still count during the brief interludes, "cut scenes" as they may be? Can I skip 'em?
      Some cutscenes can be skipped (by pressing start), some cannot. I'm pretty sure the clock does keep running, so it's important to skip everything possible.