As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic Creators Thread: Ways to Stay Motivated, Creative, and Productive?

• Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    The art is the expression of the individual. Comics are both design and art simultaneously so it is easy to either stray from one to the other. (But not being a fan of dualism, I don't think it's either/or or even both together. There are probably other factors.)
    If your design has been created already, do not fret, because there is always your own expression, the twist of your own mind to give the design a beating heart.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    I've been too busy moping that Mark Waid has apparently beaten me to the punch, on that idea I'd talked to you about doing.

It's not exactly the same, but it's close enough that I was like, "Oh, goddammit."

pffffffffffft

i can do that better than mark waid with my eyes closed

7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    herojoe wrote: »
    After seeing a poster of some GI Joe-COBRA battle with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow sword-fighting in the middle of a big battle, I sort of want to write a thing that skewers the ridiculousness of that concept.

Ha yeah I have an idea for a mecha comic that deals with how extremely impractical giant robots would be.

Noooooo
    giant robots are awesome

I was thinking of having two badass dudes who are old friends who now hate each others guts wind up on different sides of some conflict, and then they are supposed to exchange something and the story suggests they will have an epic badass brawl

but nope
    they both brought back up
    snipers
    who shoot them in their skulls

and then the real protagonist nukes their carcasses and the macguffin from orbit or stomps it all to pieces with a sweet ass giant robot

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I love giant robots too, but let's face it those things would never be used in for any real military applications.

steam_sig-400.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I love giant robots too, but let's face it those things would never be used in for any real military applications.

Traditional Japanese Gundam/Mech robots? You're right. But tanks/artillery on legs? Definitely have real military applications.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

There's always hope for grappling Kaiju to a standstill to keep them from encroaching on dense population centers until the civilians are safely evacuated.

• liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    Never really got the giant robot bug. Powered armor, on the other hand...

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
    edited April 2012
    Double post

herojoe on
    steam_sig-400.png
    Munch would you be interested in some lettering work? I definitely can't pay the standard rate, but I can pay something.

steam_sig-400.png
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Munch would you be interested in some lettering work? I definitely can't pay the standard rate, but I can pay something.

Oh hey, I missed this. Sure, whenever you've got something completed, shoot me a PM, detailing how many pages, etc. We can talk about it.

Here's a little something I did for fun recently, digitally inking over another artist's pencils:

ChanceInks.png

oQuwj.jpg

I tried not to dick around with the general shapes too much. I kind of like how varied the lines turned out, which may have convinced me to start working with a larger brush, when I physically ink things.

I do wish I'd worked on the blood-spatter a little more. But, the whole thing only took about fifteen minutes. It actually got me thinking about doing all my inks digitally, from now on.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    damn, dude

• liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    I would suggest that that is actually not a good write up of breaking into the industry. It's old writer's advice, and maybe it needs repeating every so often because, hey, youngsters. But you could easily link I Will Not Read Your Script because it applies to in large part to every writer everywhere.

It would be nice if writers would get past that point and try their hand at laying out a few the archetypal routes, because there is something between Everyone is Different and There is One True Path. Doing your own books (online or off), hanging out with other creators, doing classes. There is more to say than "be serious and work hard (and be lucky)". John August's website is a wonderful example of a sustained effort in the form, albeit for movies, where it's a lot less wild west in some ways.

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
    edited May 2012
    tumblr_m3kg2h0dvU1r8yjsn.png

Click the image to read the final, no-more-editing-for-real comic.

Incidentally, I really need to learn how to set up a ComicPress website.

In the meantime, here's a high-quality .CBR file, which you can download, should you be so inclined.

Munch on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I also made a lower-res PDF of Kookaburra #1 for Munch, here, if you're lazy but don't have a CBR reader.

Funny, it needed to be lower resolution for the original images to be larger.

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    So here's a relevant question while I'm working on ways to compile our webcomic in the future...

What's the best way to make a .cbr file?

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    JyrenB wrote: »
    So here's a relevant question while I'm working on ways to compile our webcomic in the future...

You can put all the pagse in numerical order into a .rar file and then just change the format .cbr. You can do the same thing with .zip files and turn them into .cbz.

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    JyrenB wrote: »

You can put all the pagse in numerical order into a .rar file and then just change the format .cbr. You can do the same thing with .zip files and turn them into .cbz.

Well then. That's simple enough. Thank you!

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    edited May 2012
    I also made a lower-res PDF of Kookaburra #1 for Munch, here, if you're lazy but don't have a CBR reader.

Funny, it needed to be lower resolution for the original images to be larger.

Yeah, after you made that, I got to thinking I should probably learn how to do it myself. Manga Studio can export images as PDF files, but they come out looking all weird and compressed. I fiddled with it for a bit, but eventually gave up.

When I have enough comics to bundle as a file and sell, I'll probably return to the whole PDF thing, but for now, I'll just stick with CBRs.

Lewis Rice wrote:
    Munch, here are your answers questioned: http://www.djcoffman.com/how-to-host-your-own-webcomic/

Thanks! I'll have to give this a look-see, when I have more time to mess with it.

Munch on
    sKxa9.png

COMING SOON.

soon-ish

never gonna not love this

7656367.jpg
    and all naysayers can go to hell, too

7656367.jpg
    I just now noticed Munch has a tumblr.

So is the comic just going to be called Chupacomics? I can dig that.

steam_sig-400.png
    Munch Proudly Presents: Chupacomics

[With Special Thanks to The Lovely Bastard]

In all seriousness, one thing I'm already digging about this whole endeavor, is being asked to draw stuff I typically wouldn't consider drawing. Like say, a stuffed alligator head, wearing a pimp hat.

VWKeW.png

Let it never be said that I'm not a team player.

nah, the juan stories are still gonna be called el chupacabra: ace detective

but i'mma call the bigger collection, all the stories we do that may or may not be juan stories chupacomics

since juan was the origin of our partnership and because it is fuckin' fun to say

7656367.jpg
    Love that image.

stuffed alligator head wearing a pimp hat is my gift to the world

I can die easily knowing I helped bring it into existence

7656367.jpg
    edited May 2012
    The pimp hat's a nice touch to what would have opened you up to "Simpsons did it." Whose idea was the mounted jackalope?

Crimsondude on
    I tend to like to have one room or area in a script for the artist to go nuts in. And funnily enough, crimsonduded, I actually described Frank's Halal (where the panel takes place) as Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag on crack.

All I gave munch was the pimpgator and these e-mails:

On May 16, 2012 12:20 PM, TLB wrote:

looking good.  

just remember that the restaurant needs to be tacky as hell. i cannot stress enough how ridiculous the inside needs to be.

basically, you know those novelty items like billy bass or a stuffed alligator head in a pimp hat?

the stuff you'd see at spencers or a flea market, chuckle for a little, but never buy, but secretly wonder who does?

that shit is all over Frank's Halal. he is the guy who buys it.

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM, TLB wrote:

basically I'm saying I want a stuffed alligator head wearing a pimp hat somewhere in this comic

7656367.jpg
    I will always find jackalope heads funny.

edited May 2012
    i, love that jackalope and the guitar with kirby krackle on it gave me an idea for an ongoing joke, too

but that dog, man

it is the best non pimpgator part

I fuckin' love @munch

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    @Munch should pull an Image and strike out on his own, writer be damned - it's art that sells funny books!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    that looks great, guys

i keep daydreaming comic/adventure story stuff, so i am thinking about messing around with prose again

DouglasDanger on
    hensler stop trying to convince munch to work on spawn

7656367.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Now I really want to see Munch's take on Spawn, particularly how he'd redesign the chains. I have a feeling something'd be different about the chains.

DO NOT DISTRACT THE MUNCH

IT TOOK US FORFUCKINGEVER TO GET THIS SHIT DONE

7656367.jpg
    Hensler wrote: »
    Munch should pull an Image and strike out on his own, writer be damned - it's art that sells funny books!

I already did that! It's called Kookaburra, and it's lovely.

Unless you mean I should create a character that's a thinly veiled copy of Juan Chupacabra, but with more violence and swearing, in which case that's not really possible.

DO NOT DISTRACT THE MUNCH

IT TOOK US FORFUCKINGEVER TO GET THIS SHIT DONE

And by "done," you mean "begun."

I dunno, if I was going to do Spawn, I'd want to do one of those historical Spawns. Like, maybe a Native American Spawn, that played up the spiritual aspect. Or a viking Spawn, that'd just be death metal, in comic book form.

We should reappropriate my Native American Avengers idea. Add a Spawn clone, and we're good to go.