As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm guess it was this:http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/battle-by-the-bridge-fools-bout-4-1-12.157861/
    She-Hulk/Doom/Wolverine

What is specifically built to get her in about this team? Doom missiles? I don't have too much difficulty getting in with Doom and Sent's assists. I just need to find a way to extend/improve her combos. I mean, she's a high-low mixup waiting to happen at all times between either slide or command grab+H (which of course gets stuffed by jumping but you can always cancel...isn't is game fun?) and invincible air grab is kind of difficult to pass up. She's no Wesker or Zero, but she's servicible for sure even with the TAC nerf. She's got more manuverabilty than Frank and he gets in, right?

Luncheon Loaf on
    xbl: halophilicNC
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Like, honestly? MOST of the balance is done via team builds, hence why Kusoro won Final Round with Rocket Raccoon and Viewtiful Joe to power Frank. The game is pretty well balanced for a fighting game with 50 people.

Unfortunately, most people are dumb + bad + prefer to blame characters.

Pff... whatever zero player.

You're right on though. Lots of shit is viable in this game if you just figure out a good team build.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited April 2012
    Biz, got any video from that tourney?

Further brainstorming, on Maximillians video today he played against a Ghost Rider/Dorm combo. I play both of those characters but never together. Hmmm..... Ghost/Dorm/Doom....

Luncheon Loaf on
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    inlemur wrote: »
    That team (Hulk/X/Doom) is actually pretty good. You can DHC well from Hulk to X-23 (and back), X-23 gives Hulk the otg assist he desperately needs, a beam helps both Hulk and X-23, Doom is a great anchor. It has all the pieces. I main X-23/Hulk/Akuma, but I haven't been playing much lately. If you're on XBL and interested, I can show you some X-23/Hulk tech.
    That'd be awesome. My gamertag is That Stone Dude, send me a message whenever.

I didn't like Doom because he seemed complicated, but sounds like I should give him another shot.

Please, please, PLEASE use all of us as a resource. This game can be hard and frustrating, but there is a lot of fun once you get rolling with it! It's easy to get discouraged as there is a steep learning curve and a large disparity between player skill makes things extremely one-sided.

Doom is a GREAT character and while I don't think he requires high execution, I feel like he's not that great of a starting character for beginners. His corner combos are cake, but his mid-screen combos aren't easy for new players. I'll second that Hulk and X-23 are good starting characters, but I'm not surprised that you found that Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Thor didn't click. You mentioned Ryu as someone else you might try, and he's a pretty good starting character too.

Just sent you a friend request. Do you have a mic? The best thing is to do player matches with us and ask questions and stuff mid match, i.e. Why did that hit? Is that unblockable? What am I doing wrong/what should I be doing?

House of Paincakes on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I've seen some She-Hulk doing decently, though not a whole lot. The people who use her tend to be the ones who used her for MvC3 and thus try to spam her low slide kick a lot, which is a bad idea for her now (usually).

But when I've seen her used well, she makes me think of a high-mobility Haggar without the insane upper limits of dealing damage. Big character, but she's got good ways to break through blocks and can OTG a lot with assists. Still got nerfed too hard, though, considering that Wesker and Doom were already good and got made even better.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have a mic, and I'll take any help I can get.

In a player match lobby right now, results are as expected but it's fun with a group watching each other fight. Seeing some neat stuff.

I'll send a friend request as well.

I just fought a guy who made me realize I have NO idea how to fight Haggar. I need a little more patience I think. I keep trying to catch him during his rushdown and get tagged.

Although it was kind of funny, the guy had Arthur on point with Haggar second, and I caught the Haggar assist right at the beginning with a chaotic flame. This pushed both him and Arthur all the way to the other side and I just did purification over and over until Haggar was dead. Arthur really couldn't do much.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Haggar can be a damned nightmare. His major weakness is zoning, but between his spinning lariat assist, command grabs, pipe, and insane damage potential, he can build meter like a king and annihilate several characters without even using a hyper bar. And if you ever catch an assist and the opponent at the same time, that's pretty much it for the assist. Haggar is one of faves right now just because he's such a powerful counter against all the bullshit behind-the-back teleporting that happens, either on point or as an assist.

And I get no end of enjoyment out of combining his spinning lariat with his rapid-fire fist. Folks go for the post-lariat attack like crazy, then take dozens of punches to the face followed up by an air combo and a switch to another character. Just wish the damn online component wasn't so fond of ignoring inputs until the enemy has already started hitting me out of the lariat.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Jumped back online with this last night, found a rhythm, and then lost it again. I went 8 rounds with a Wolv/X23/Dante player, and ended up 4/4. Then I fought a Phoenix Wright team and lost every match. Playing Dorm/Hawkeye/Sent is fun, but when I'm down to just Sent, I find myself relying on crouching M and Sentinel Force too much. I need to work on my Dorm mobility, and use his teleport more effectively. Are there any good Dorm players besides Filipino Champ?

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited April 2012
    Are there any good Dorm players besides Filipino Champ?

Wentinel and MastaCJ come to mind. MastaCJ is especially known for his Dormammu.

Also for "tomorrow" memes.

House of Paincakes on
    MastaCJ inspired me, and I used some of his tactics to beat a couple 9th Lords today. I still have a losing record, but I'm getting a better grasp at what I'm doing. Ranked is a fucking horrible place, though. I've only played 10 total matches on ranked, and they're pairing me up with Rangers and Lords. D:

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I'm guess it was this:http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/battle-by-the-bridge-fools-bout-4-1-12.157861/
    She-Hulk/Doom/Wolverine

What is specifically built to get her in about this team? Doom missiles? I don't have too much difficulty getting in with Doom and Sent's assists. I just need to find a way to extend/improve her combos. I mean, she's a high-low mixup waiting to happen at all times between either slide or command grab+H (which of course gets stuffed by jumping but you can always cancel...isn't is game fun?) and invincible air grab is kind of difficult to pass up. She's no Wesker or Zero, but she's servicible for sure even with the TAC nerf. She's got more manuverabilty than Frank and he gets in, right?

We didn't record on that one, alas :(.

He changes Doom assist based on who he's fighting. He usually uses beam unless they jump / run away a lot (he uses missiles on me :) ). Wolverine assist is also really good + level 3 dark wolverine is insane.

He's also VERY good at reading people and knowing when they're about to jump. Add in high HP and ouch.

That tourney..ugh, never shoulda lost to Phillyrider. He even said I had it, dropped like every combo our last match lol.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    MastaCJ inspired me, and I used some of his tactics to beat a couple 9th Lords today. I still have a losing record, but I'm getting a better grasp at what I'm doing. Ranked is a fucking horrible place, though. I've only played 10 total matches on ranked, and they're pairing me up with Rangers and Lords. D:

The rangers/lords/scouts/judges thing is pretty much meaningless. It's supposed to reflect that graph you get at the end of a ranked match (the one with offense, defense, etc), but it can vary wildly over the span of a few matches. I've been a scout, ranger, and lord within the span of a playing session.

It's the rank number in front of the word that says anything, and even that might not say much since they are multiple eminently abusable setups for online.

If you want to see how really awful Ranked can be, search for games against "Any" under the "Rank" option. There are setups that online makes so terrible that it's not even fun to win against them.

edited April 2012
    Happily on track back toward 5th lord thanks to going back to ghost rider/doom/dormammu. Ghost is a little underpowered and one-dimensional but he gets the job done and I love burning people. Maybe I'll go back to Dorm/Doom/Sentinel at some point but I find Sentinel to be a bit vulnerable and I can't hit Hard Drive on the incoming before getting picked up ever online and online nearly every tiger knee Hard Drive comes out as his yellow ball of stupidity move. I just don't know what team to settle on.

Luncheon Loaf on
    Well, so far my online sessions have been informative if nothing else. Mainly informing me how much I have to learn.

Since I'm stuck working till Monday I figure I'll try and work my way through this thick ass Brady guide. I figure my plan will be to start with Hulk and try and learn 1 combo reliably enough to actually use it in a match. That seems like nice achievable goal to work on for now, and it'd be nice to actually be able to do some damage on those rare occasions I get some offense in.

Well, so far my online sessions have been informative if nothing else. Mainly informing me how much I have to learn.

Since I'm stuck working till Monday I figure I'll try and work my way through this thick ass Brady guide. I figure my plan will be to start with Hulk and try and learn 1 combo reliably enough to actually use it in a match. That seems like nice achievable goal to work on for now, and it'd be nice to actually be able to do some damage on those rare occasions I get some offense in.

High five for positive attitude! That alone will get you far.

Looking forward to playing with you sometime.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Happily on track back toward 5th lord thanks to going back to ghost rider/doom/dormammu. Ghost is a little underpowered and one-dimensional but he gets the job done and I love burning people. Maybe I'll go back to Dorm/Doom/Sentinel at some point but I find Sentinel to be a bit vulnerable and I can't hit Hard Drive on the incoming before getting picked up ever online and online nearly every tiger knee Hard Drive comes out as his yellow ball of stupidity move. I just don't know what team to settle on.

I tried dorm/doom with gr but wasn't impressed. He's got such a nasty dead zone up and forward of him and it was causing real problems against a lot of crap setups. Hawkeye though. God damn does hawkeye fix a LOT of problems for GR. I use taskmaster also, but if you can use Doom online then let that Plasma Beam rip.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Doom online is a pain. Any bit of lag, and it's just PLASMA BEAM all day. Kinda makes me glad Iceman isn't in the game.

Doom online is a pain. Any bit of lag, and it's just PLASMA BEAM all day. Kinda makes me glad Iceman isn't in the game.

I would gladly trade Doom for Iceman. At least Iceman would have to do some actual work to catch you in a combo; Doom can just spam dive kicks with insane priority all day long and OTG you roughly a thousand times with zero assistance. Thankfully, Cap's shield slash is a great counter for most Doom crap; double jump with Cap means you can usually jump over finger laser spam and shield slash screws up dive kick spam like crazy. I've had people get tagged with 5-6 shield slashes in a row because they just will not stop playing Doom the one way.

So I was reading up on all the characters and what they're playstyles are and found myself really drawn to Taskmaster and Iron Fist, mainly because they seem fun. At first glance Tasky sounds like he can do a little of everything, and while I'm not really sure how the whole 'rekka' thing works it sounds really sweet. I can't wait to get home and see how they feel.

Quick question that just occurred to me, the setting that basically makes superjumping after a launch automatic, is that something I should turn off now to learn to do it myself or is it not a big deal?

edited April 2012
    Tasky can do basically a little of everything and can fill most slots adequately. He's best used as a zoning character that takes advantage of any fuckups the opponent makes with his solid punishes. Though you can do some rush down with him, he does have some trouble getting in on his own due to a lack of solid mixups.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2012
    Taskmaster is definitely a solid character, but Iron Fist is horrifically crippled by the fact that his launcher only works if the opponent is standing on the ground; if they weren't standing on the ground when you started the combo, the launcher will just whiff completely despite having a big-ass animation that clearly covers them. So if they hop, you hit them with a little something and get a combo going, and then use his launcher, they'll fall to the ground completely unharmed.

If somebody just hops most of the time, they'll more or less completely negate Iron Fist's ability to do any real damage even if they constantly get hit by him. Probably the best I've seen him used as a second character to get his invincible angled dragon kick, which would be a fantastic move for him to use on point except it's locked away in a combo and thus unavailable for use when you might actually need it. But since he couldn't launch somebody off the wall-bounce it causes anyway, it's all sort of a moot issue.

Much like Iron Fist.

Ninja Snarl P on
    That sucks. I tried a few of IF's missions out just now and he seems fun, the rekka concept is still a bit confusing but I really like the way he moves and fights. Tasky will have to wait till tomorrow but I could see myself using Mr Rand on my team.

I mean, it's not like I'm worried about winning or anything :)

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Quick question that just occurred to me, the setting that basically makes superjumping after a launch automatic, is that something I should turn off now to learn to do it myself or is it not a big deal?

Eventually you'll want to take this off, yes. Accidentally jumping when you don't mean to = death.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited April 2012
    Taskmaster is definitely a solid character, but Iron Fist is horrifically crippled by the fact that his launcher only works if the opponent is standing on the ground.

Your post makes it sound like just because he can't do air-combos, he's not a viable character. Iron Fist is just one of the characters who's game revolves around ground-based combos whereas everyone else is air-based. He's not really meant to launch characters.

If he was such a "moot" character, I doubt Justin Wong would be able to be as effective as he is with Iron Fist. You might say, "But it's Justin Wong" but he is still playing against the BEST players in the world and having success.

The only time I run into issues with this is when I'm using characters who have a double or triple jump. I always press "up" to super jump after a launcher, and if the autojump is on and my character has a double/triple jump, then sometimes the super jump gets canceled into a regular double jump and I don't go up into the air with my opponent. Super annoying. I'm pretty sure it only autojumps if you hold S though, though the required hold time seems pretty short.

I don't think it's a big deal either way though as it's pretty rare that you wouldn't want to jump after a launcher. The only instance I can think of off the top of my head is Spencer and his corner launch --> vertical grapple loops.

House of Paincakes on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

The only time I run into issues with this is when I'm using characters who have a double or triple jump. I always press "up" to super jump after a launcher, and if the autojump is on and my character has a double/triple jump, then sometimes the super jump gets canceled into a regular double jump and I don't go up into the air with my opponent. Super annoying. I'm pretty sure it only autojumps if you hold S though, though the required hold time seems pretty short.

I don't think it's a big deal either way though as it's pretty rare that you wouldn't want to jump after a launcher. The only instance I can think of off the top of my head is Spencer and his corner launch --> vertical grapple loops.

Spidey also has some similar stuff with web throw. If you tiger-knee the input (S, 632147H) you can do a vertical web throw immediately after launching. Not a big deal to miss out on, though.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Taskmaster is definitely a solid character, but Iron Fist is horrifically crippled by the fact that his launcher only works if the opponent is standing on the ground.

Your post makes it sound like just because he can't do air-combos, he's not a viable character. Iron Fist is just one of the characters who's game revolves around ground-based combos whereas everyone else is air-based. He's not really meant to launch characters.

If he was such a "moot" character, I doubt Justin Wong would be able to be as effective as he is with Iron Fist. You might say, "But it's Justin Wong" but he is still playing against the BEST players in the world and having success.

The Iron Fist vids I'm seeing with Wong show Fist doing good stuff... if the opponent stays near enough to the ground and Fist has some meter and good assists and Fist doesn't get snagged in the middle of using standing M. Fist can't do squat against a high enough opponent; even Justin Wong thinks Iron Fist is low tier despite being good with him. Even characters that don't 100% depend on launchers still need them as a good tool to get somebody into a good comboable spot.

I'd never claim to be pro level at this game, but even against people using Fist like Wong does, I've never, ever had problems fighting the character. His whole combat style revolves around that standing M, which makes him extremely predictable. If he doesn't get lucky, he gets smashed, which happens repeatedly even when Wong is using Fist.

Obviously, somebody could use him if they really, really wanted to, but they're in for a lot of frustration as virtually any character can stay out of Fist's danger zone without much effort. So I wouldn't say he's completely non-viable for any fighting, but he's definitely crippled by missing one of the basic tools of the game, if for no other reason than it would let Fist do serious damage without needing the enemy to be in a pretty specific range or catch them on the ground or having some meter handy.

Got off early so I hit the training room with Hulk. Using the Brady guide I'm starting with a basic corner combo and working through it a bit at a time. Once I can hit it 10 times in a row on keach side I add the next step.

Working on trying out more characters too. I've maybe tried 7-8 of the Marvel side and haven't even touched the Capcom side.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    iron fist loses because he gets zoned/spaced out, not because he can't launch an airborne target with his S

just because you need to autopilot ABC launch doesn't mean the character can't do more than that

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*

I would gladly trade Doom for Iceman. At least Iceman would have to do some actual work to catch you in a combo; Doom can just spam dive kicks with insane priority all day long and OTG you roughly a thousand times with zero assistance. Thankfully, Cap's shield slash is a great counter for most Doom crap; double jump with Cap means you can usually jump over finger laser spam and shield slash screws up dive kick spam like crazy. I've had people get tagged with 5-6 shield slashes in a row because they just will not stop playing Doom the one way.

Scrubby dooms are scrubby. Super jump, Air-dash back, finger lasers, fly, finger lasers, finger lasers, land plasma beam is stupid hard to counter with Cap. Just have to be a little careful with confirming the last finger lasers before committing to plasma beam so you don't get charged. Otherise just jump and repeat.

Regarding Ghost Rider on my team, I know the pros don't like him but I do. Being able to punish idiots from 3/4 screen is just too good. And he just eats assists for breakfast without using meter. You just have to not throw out the chains with abandon because of how easy he is to punish. Doom beam is excellent for for him but dormammu's assists leave a little to be desired. At least you can just throw Dark Hole out there and if it hits easily confirm into a (extremely damage scaled) juggle.

Plus I just really like fire. If I wasn't so well practiced with Doom, I'd find another fire character to go along with Ghost Rider and Dormammu. Maybe Skrull?

Ugh, I'm getting so tired of seeing ChrisG's Morrigan spamming up all the streams. They gotta fix that.

Any character with fly and/or air dash can just go way up and wait it out, generally. If you don't have either, well, hope you have an invincible supers.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I do not like the final fight in Arcade mode. Just uh. Yeah. Don't care for it. Dunno if I'll try beating it again. >.>

Making it so you only get the ending for the character who landed the killing blow seems a little silly too; seems unreasonable to expect some of these characters to stand up to him. I mean, my main guy so far is Vergil, and I struggled - I look it up and he's considered the easiest to beat the final boss with? Nope. Mission mode from now on, I think!

Oh brilliant
    Important noob lesson of the day: sometimes slower is better.

I was getting frustrated when I got to the point where I'm supposed to throw an Anti-Air Gamma Charge into this combo and it just wasn't happening, but I eventually realized that the reason it wasn't working was because I was doing it before the previous moved had even animated. Making myself go a little slower and not doing the input until I see the previous move start was one of 'oh, duh' moments.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I do not like the final fight in Arcade mode. Just uh. Yeah. Don't care for it. Dunno if I'll try beating it again. >.>

Making it so you only get the ending for the character who landed the killing blow seems a little silly too; seems unreasonable to expect some of these characters to stand up to him. I mean, my main guy so far is Vergil, and I struggled - I look it up and he's considered the easiest to beat the final boss with? Nope. Mission mode from now on, I think!

spiral swords HSHSHSHSHSHS
    I've never played arcade but I can see why he'd be pretty good at it

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited April 2012
    I fought a guy in Ranked yesterday and two of his characters were silver like in H&H mode (not his third though). Vergil was one of them but I can't remember the other one that was silver. That's new to me. Any idea how he did that?

House of Paincakes on
    Playing Heroes and Heralds online. You get a chance to win a silver-surfer costume for a particular character.

Ah, gotcha. That's kind of a neat incentive, but I don't even want to go near that trash. Just hearing about some of the card setups make me cringe.

What are you having problems with during the galactus fight?

wWuzwvJ.png