As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NHL Thread: Can Lidstrom Unretire? Please?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can I just say that the teams winning in the West are the most boring, awful teams to watch since the fucking '95 Devils? I hate it.

The other three make the Preds look exciting. And their most talented forward is like... Radulov? I guess?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Christ. OT for Phoenix and Chicago again? Wow.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Is there really a noon scheduled game for Pittsburg vs Philly? What the hell league?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can I just say that the teams winning in the West are the most boring, awful teams to watch since the fucking '95 Devils? I hate it.

The other three make the Preds look exciting. And their most talented forward is like... Radulov? I guess?

There's a reason the Globetrotters aren't an NBA team?
    Aegis wrote: »
    Is there really a noon scheduled game for Pittsburg vs Philly? What the hell league?

Read the schedule carefully. The game is in Athens. 7pm puck drop for them.

RenaissanceDan on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

Having watched my team go from being an offensive powerhouse at the start of the season to one of the most boring teams in the Eastern Quarterfinals, I know what you mean, but at the same time, I have a new appreciation for what Devils fans from mid 90s must have experienced while watching their team play. If you happen to be rooting for one of these defensive-minded teams, it's incredibly nerve-wracking to watch them play while the minutes tick away on the clock because you know they don't give up very many goals a game, but neither do they score very many, so one blown assignment on defense could decide the entire game. That was still true when the Caps were an offense-driven team, but if they gave up a few quick goals, you could shrug your shoulders and say, well, maybe Ovi or Backstrom will get a couple back in the third. With a low-scoring team, you feel every turnover in your heart.

It's exciting and ulcer-inducing.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Wait, what? O_o

Characters
  • RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Wait, what? O_o

Baseball and Football are doing it. Hockey wants to get in on that international action.

edit: No, but seriously, it's just more from the 'arbitrary decision' lottery that the NHL utilizes. It's not just for player suspensions anymore!

RenaissanceDan on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I hope the Flyers advance. I have a plan for my group of friends that we will hang near the stadium and wait until game time to get tickets on stubhub. Right now, I see $50 for luxury box or lower level seats. That is insane after what I paid for game 1 at home upstairs. And if we don't get tickets, we can always hang at Xfinity Live (new building next to the stadium with a few bars and stuff).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I hope the Flyers advance.

Tell us how you really feel.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Flyers score first, Pens are going to game 7!

Heh, that would be amusing if that trend continues throughout the series.

Characters
    Man.

If you took away eash teams first, lets say 3, shots I bet the scores for this series would suddenly seem reasonable.

Or at least, less insane

Man. The flyers look so bad out there.

Good thing theyhave scored 2 on 3 shots.

I feel like Hartnell's goal would've certainly been goalie interference if Fleury had held on another second. He practically dove through his legs.

He didn't really touch the goalie that much until after the goal went in. He went diving for the puck that was sitting plain as day in Fleury's 5-hole. But yea, had Fleury not already been so deep in his net Hartnell wouldn't have been able to get that far in without contacting him.

Characters
    Letang got a penalty for playin defense?

seems like a good call.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    The ref should've blown that second goal dead before Hartnell even got to it.

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »

The puck was never stopped by Fleury. It was rolling towards the line behind his legs, a defenseman pushed it back towards Fleury, but Hartnell pushed it back through. The shot from behind the net showed it best, and that was the perspective of the official.

It wouldn't be a game against the Penguins if they didn't take a cheep shot against a star player's head. Its a good thing Neal learned his lesson from that worthy suspension.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png

You are the worst. It went behind Fleury and then just sat there in between his legs, not covered. If anything, it was a surprising good call by the refs for once.

bYf6vNQ.png

You are the worst. It went behind Fleury and then just sat there in between his legs, not covered. If anything, it was a surprising good call by the refs for once.

Yeah. There have been a LOT of premature whistles these playoffs so far. Even situations where the puck was 2 feet out of the crease whistled dead. This one was good/correct. And well done by the ref keeping an angle on the puck so he could see it rather than be out of position and blowing it dead just in case.

Like the one that went in the flyers net tonight, but due to an incredible early whistle, was called a no goal.

regardless, that was the correct call on the flyers goal.

It is just really rare the whistle isn't blown, stopping a legit goal. Game time. Back in 20.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Well...that's certainly a terrible goal.

Characters

No need to be such a twat, I haven't seen that footage yet. The last thing this thread needs is more goosey posts like yours.

Pens look flat, this series is over. Fleury is off the rails and our top two lines aren't playing like they even want it.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Maybe some people should learn that 95% of us in this thread are more than capable of remaining civil with one another even as we criticize other folks' home teams. The secret (if something can be considered a secret when 95% of us apparently know it already) is to talk about the game, the teams or the players and not talk about other fans or forum members.

MAF has the biggest five hole in the history of the number 5

Pens look flat, this series is over. Fleury is off the rails and our top two lines aren't playing like they even want it.

I don't want to shave yet.

M
    Blendtec wrote: »

I don't want to shave yet.

Me neither, I've been super excited to grow an epic beard.

Malkin is such a fucking bitch. Stop your crying and do something for your team you pansy.

Every time Pitts gets a PP, I get scared, but then Roo/Bot calm me down. No more PP for PP.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Im going home to shave between the 2nd and 3rd period, on the other hand

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Im going home to shave between the 2nd and 3rd period, on the other hand

Might be good luck. You never know. Haha. I have a beard from the past month or two (from my own hockey endeavors). I am scared to shave it now.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Yeah. It's disappointing, and I was enjoying getting to watch a game on OTA finally.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The Flyers have scored 12 power play goals this series???? Is that really true??

:rotate: :rotate:

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The Flyers have scored 12 power play goals this series???? Is that really true??

:rotate: :rotate:

Pretty sure that's more than the Bruins scored in the entirety of their 4-round cup run last season.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    I really liked Timonen until that :-(

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

Having watched my team go from being an offensive powerhouse at the start of the season to one of the most boring teams in the Eastern Quarterfinals, I know what you mean, but at the same time, I have a new appreciation for what Devils fans from mid 90s must have experienced while watching their team play. If you happen to be rooting for one of these defensive-minded teams, it's incredibly nerve-wracking to watch them play while the minutes tick away on the clock because you know they don't give up very many goals a game, but neither do they score very many, so one blown assignment on defense could decide the entire game. That was still true when the Caps were an offense-driven team, but if they gave up a few quick goals, you could shrug your shoulders and say, well, maybe Ovi or Backstrom will get a couple back in the third. With a low-scoring team, you feel every turnover in your heart.

It's exciting and ulcer-inducing.

I'm not even talking about defensive hockey. I think the Caps/Bruins series and Rangers/Sens (that's the best series of the playoffs) have been far better hockey to watch. The Blues, Coyotes, Kings, and Preds are so incredibly passive though. Clog the middle, keep everything outside, freeze the puck as much as possible, wait for a mistake.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    It blows my mind that right now the Flyers, Caps, and Sens could all advance. If you had the nerve to bet against the rangers, pens and bruins...you could be a rich man.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I really liked Timonen until that :-(

Yeah that Neal hit was pretty crappy by Kimmo...I know we are pissed at him, but that doesn't mean you go there too.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    good goal corburn.

thanks for pushing bryz into the net for us.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If Hartnell's goal was good, I don't really see why Neal's wasn't.

but whatever. Good series Philly.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie