As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Houn wrote: »
    I cannot stress enough how happy I am with my Sensei.

Looks like a pretty good choice, aye. Is it noticably better than the Xai? I can't see much difference in the specs other than flashy lights and price.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I am actually trying to decide between these 2 as well. I currently use a razer diamond back and have been using it for quite a few years with no technical issues at all. I don't really want to replace it as it works with no issues, but it hurts my hand. It has a very low profile and the way it feels with a claw like grip is uncomfortable. the Sensei looks like it would be the most comfortable for my style of grip.
    b1rdman wrote: »
    Houn wrote:
    At the moment, I'm kinda torn between these two:

Logitech g9x
    20090318_1412461_1680583034_o.png

Steelseries Sensei
    steelseries-sensei-pro-grade-laser-mouse-552-1m.jpg

I hate that there's nowhere you can go retail and look at mice. I want to feel it's shape in my hand, maybe test drive it first, see how it responds, but I can't find anything but low-end shit at any stores anymore.

That steel series is pure sex. I'm still using an old intellimouse and it looks just like it. I want that one now. I like its simplicity.

And also, I feel the same way about the lack of anything but low end mice at retail outlets. I have a microcenter near me which I think would carry what I'm looking for, but its a drive and its almost in the heart of boston, so not always worth the drive/traffic to me.

steam_sig.png
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    The Deathadder has a bigger footprint and is a fair bit taller than the Sensei, which helps with pinky drag. I used to cramp up after playing with the Lachesis too long, and that was a pretty flat mouse.

The G400 and 500 are even bigger again.

It does bother me that there's no good way to try out the most important factor of mice before you buy them.

gBpkw.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Insanity wrote: »
    I cannot stress enough how happy I am with my Sensei.

Looks like a pretty good choice, aye. Is it noticably better than the Xai? I can't see much difference in the specs other than flashy lights and price.

The main benefits over the Xai are going to be in the higher DPI and the kick-ass super-configurable software. The shape is pretty much identical.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2012
    I actually love my razer naga epic, which I got to replace a razer naga I left clicked to death in a year and change. It's hard going back to a 5 button mouse after having an entire numpad under your thumb.

I am using it wired mode, however, because the wireless actually seemed kind of flaky. And it's not like I NEED my mouse to be wireless or anything. Cables are well managed on my crazy kickass OneLessDesk.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I wonder if the Mamba and Naga Epic use the same wireless system...because the Mamba wireless isn't flaky at all, for me at least.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I wonder if the Mamba and Naga Epic use the same wireless system...because the Mamba wireless isn't flaky at all, for me at least.

Keep in mind, I am on a Mac, and the Naga Epic is behind a few software versions on the Mac side (still on 1.x instead of 2.x, which is a shame, because the basic Naga is using their new programming / macro / management system on the mac already which works MUCH better).

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Has anyone checked out the G700? I've been considering it since I've been going through G500's like crazy. I love the G500 so much but these things can't take any sort of abuse at all.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    I decided on the Sensei and ordered it. I loved the old microsoft mouse we had and the shape of this one reminds me of it so I hope I like it.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Has anyone checked out the G700? I've been considering it since I've been going through G500's like crazy. I love the G500 so much but these things can't take any sort of abuse at all.

I have one that I ended up giving to my wife. I can just never get into Logitech's mice. The g700 is great and all, but it's huuuuuge. I don't really like having such a gigantic palm-grip mouse. Makes me feel like I'm palming a basketball.

But other than my personal taste there's really nothing wrong with it. Great build quality, nice feel in the hand, plenty of buttons.

My only real objective complaint is that the side buttons are very stiff, and yet mushy at the same time. Hard to press, but with no real tactile actuation point. Like a really bad membrane keyboard.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    The G700 gave me hand cramps. I had one for about two days before I got my Mamba. It's a decent size mouse, but it's length is really compact. It's "fat", if that makes sense, but not real long....so if you have semi-long fingers like me, it actually gave me hand cramps.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea, not sure if the G500 is the same size, but for me, it is like a weird size between claw grip and palming. it took me a while to get used to it after switching over from a non-gaming logitech that was tiny.

i have long fingers

camo_sig.png
    Razer Naga Epic, a couple weeks in, has settled into being my favorite gaming mouse I have ever owned, and I have gone through a really large number of them.

Yeah, it's expensive... and yeah, I don't even use the wireless function. But the button placement, and the numpad at my thumb have changed how I do pretty much EVERYTHING.

I program my Naga to have photoshop or Final Cut shortcuts / tool selectors at my thumb. Soooooo much more convenient, especially with the macro programmer.

And for gaming, it's just buttery smooth.

It also comes with three grip size changers, so you can set it up however you want. I went with the one that my ring finger rests on, with my pinky gripping the side, and the top of my palm resting on the near-center of the mouse. Feels great, and my thumb naturally rests on the 5 of the d-pad, making it easy to hit whatever button I need to from there.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    So I've been using the MX 518 since, oh, 2006? It's still working great. I like it a lot. I have a small, dainty hand so I'm not big on the huge mice.

But for MMOs I think I need more buttons. Just get a G500 and call it a day? Other options?

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
    I never needed more buttons in an MMO. But, again, I'm a purist; I only use one of the four side buttons on my sensei, and that's for Ventrillo PTT.

I really can't do the 50 mouse button thing for MMO's... I use a Nostromo instead to get easy access to 30+ hotkeys.

• Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    Picked up a Rat 7 MMO awhile ago.... holy cow, this is the bees knees, I had the old 7 before, so I was used to things, but the thumb buttons are great. Couple things annoy me: the thumb angle screw is a tiny philips head bolt NOT an allen wrench. Without a photo hard to describe, but there is the ability to left or right click the inner left or right buttons that let you auto... auto something, but what happens to me in pvp is i hit this then i am auto runnin in some random direction which can be very very bad.

overall though I think this is the mouse I have always been waiting for.

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
    I really can't do the 50 mouse button thing for MMO's... I use a Nostromo instead to get easy access to 30+ hotkeys.

I hear you, but years of console gaming have my hands wired for this: left hand = movement; right hand = action triggers.

It's in my muscle memory and I can't get it out. Having more buttons on the mouse seems to benefit me in this regard.
    Picked up a Rat 7 MMO awhile ago.... holy cow, this is the bees knees, I had the old 7 before, so I was used to things, but the thumb buttons are great. Couple things annoy me: the thumb angle screw is a tiny philips head bolt NOT an allen wrench. Without a photo hard to describe, but there is the ability to left or right click the inner left or right buttons that let you auto... auto something, but what happens to me in pvp is i hit this then i am auto runnin in some random direction which can be very very bad.

overall though I think this is the mouse I have always been waiting for.

This bad boy? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826201003

The $120 price tag scares me off for a mouse. Then again, I have got over 6 years from my current one.

Yeah, the Nostromo is really comfortable for someone who cut their teeth on PC gaming.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Nostromo is really comfortable for someone who cut their teeth on PC gaming.

My issue with the Nostromo is the godawful "spacebar" button. It's so mushy and terrible. I've tried for weeks, but that one button always turns me off so badly. I even managed to get used to the d-pad for movement, but my muscle memory is just wired to that button for jumping.

I keep waiting for Razer to update it with better buttons, because it's been pretty much the exact same hardware since it was Belkin branded.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Ok pa folks I'm in the mouse market yet again. My mouse progression is diamondback, mx revolution, kone plus. The mx rev being my favorite feel wise. All of these have suffered from single clicks turning into doubles.
    My current interests are Mamba, MMO7, Sensei, maybe Naga epic.

Any other mx rev or kone guys got a new favorite

if I could handle the sensei or mmo7 I'm sure this would be easier but no retail stores seem to stock them
    Im concerned the sensei will be light for my taste.

steam_sig.png
    Our of curiosity, what did you think of the kone+? It's one I was looking at before I picked up my Sensei.

I like it, but had driver based scroll wheel issues that come and go with updates. I also some how cracked one of the light track plastic pieces I assume because I some times death grip a mouse in intense action and squeezed it too hard. All that plus my common click break issue has me looking again. If I buy a new mouse and am not pleased I may just go kone plus again.

steam_sig.png

My issue with the Nostromo is the godawful "spacebar" button. It's so mushy and terrible. I've tried for weeks, but that one button always turns me off so badly. I even managed to get used to the d-pad for movement, but my muscle memory is just wired to that button for jumping.

I keep waiting for Razer to update it with better buttons, because it's been pretty much the exact same hardware since it was Belkin branded.

Yeah, I just don't use that button, hehe. Does make jumping somewhat annoying, but MMO's tend to not be platformers (much), so it hasn't been a huge hindrance.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I recommend the g500

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I recommend the g500

I had actually just ordered that, as it seemed the minute I asked about a new mouse my MX 518 was dying, then cleaned out my old MX 518, and now the scroll wheel doesn't miss scrolls anymore. I'm not MMOing much now, but I'm anticipating a Guild Wars 2 addiction and want to be ready this summer.

No idea how good the new Logitech's are, but the old one is a tank of a mouse. Can't believe it's survived the countless hours of gaming I put into this thing.

• ParielPariel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think I may have mentioned it in this thread before, but I own two G500s. One is at least four years old, the other is less than a year. Only problem is that the click part of the wheel on the older mouse only works about 1/2 the time. Other than that, they're both great. I my G500s.

Pariel on
    I got my Sensei and I have to say I am really pleased with it. It is much more comfortable than my old diamondback was. I wish it had the same color scheme as thw xai, but I am still really happy with it.I don't really like the buttons on the right side of the mouse, but I disabled them and all is well.

steam_sig.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Pariel wrote: »
    I think I may have mentioned it in this thread before, but I own two G500s. One is at least four years old, the other is less than a year. Only problem is that the click part of the wheel on the older mouse only works about 1/2 the time. Other than that, they're both great. I my G500s.
    Are you a time traveler, good sir? The G500 was released in 2009 (announced in August of '09), so by my reckoning that means it is less than three years old.

If your scroll wheel is fucked up, try contacting Logitech support. The mouse should have a three year warranty, the serial/part number located on a tag near the end of the USB cable.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    I picked up the sensei to replace my failing boomslang and it is a great mouse. However, I can no longer scroll on windows with elevated privileges. Is there a known work around?

verbel wrote: »
    I got my Sensei and I have to say I am really pleased with it. It is much more comfortable than my old diamondback was. I wish it had the same color scheme as thw xai, but I am still really happy with it.I don't really like the buttons on the right side of the mouse, but I disabled them and all is well.

Same. Pinky, y u no like push buton?
    stigweard wrote: »
    I picked up the sensei to replace my failing boomslang and it is a great mouse. However, I can no longer scroll on windows with elevated privileges. Is there a known work around?

Haven't run across that one myself. Interesting. I'm curious, save your profile on the mouse (if you haven't already) and kill the steelseries software, and see if that helps or not.

So I figured out a compusa (tiger direct retail really) 25 minutes away has the sensei on the shelf I can check out. Probably heading there tonight or tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
    If they don't have a sensei, you can always find a xai if you're just interested in feeling the shape and weight before purchase; the sensei is the same shell design and only minimally heavier.

Yea the only ss mouse closer is an ikari or what ever it's called at microcenter that I don't like the look of.

steam_sig.png
  • ParielPariel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Pariel wrote: »
    Are you a time traveler, good sir? The G500 was released in 2009 (announced in August of '09), so by my reckoning that means it is less than three years old.

If your scroll wheel is fucked up, try contacting Logitech support. The mouse should have a three year warranty, the serial/part number located on a tag near the end of the USB cable.

I could have sworn I bought it at the start of my sophomore year, which would have been fall 2009, and was told it was a year old. The previous owner removed the tag with the serial number. Also, my three years of daily abuse still haven't aged the mouse as much as the time it spend with the previous owner, which given the time frame you're quoting had to be no more than a month (the clicker was broken when I got it). According to Ebay I bought it 09/09 (for $19.66). I don't know if they had demo models out before that, but I'm baffled.

Pariel on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    stigweard wrote: »

Haven't run across that one myself. Interesting. I'm curious, save your profile on the mouse (if you haven't already) and kill the steelseries software, and see if that helps or not.

It is working now, but I am not sure why. I'll have to pay attention to see what is going on if it happens again.

edited April 2012
    So I picked up the Sensei. So far it's a pretty damn comfortable piece of equipment. Haven't taken it to a game yet but about to try it in LoL. Pretty good deal on it at "Compusa" too. $79.99 and DE no tax on the purchase.

E: So far god damn. Feels like an old friend already, which is strange because I haven't ever used an Intellimouse Explorer which most seem to say this shape is based on.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    Glad you were able to find a mouse you like. Buying a mouse is like buying a car. It really has to fit, and buying the wrong one pisses you off. You have to use it everyday, there's no avoiding it.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

I'm a big fan of my g700, but it is definitely big and heavy.

The programmability of it and being able to use it as a wired or wireless mouse are really useful for me. Also being able to swap between a clicky mousewheel and a free-spinning one at a whim is pretty rad.

The two sets of thumb buttons take some getting used to, as you want to push them in, but you're supposed to push the bottom set up, and the top set down, to reduce misclicks. The 3 buttons in the left click area are easy to use and easy to feel the difference between.

I haven't had any comfort issues, aside from just getting used to the weight after using a MX518 for like... five years.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    My last G500 finally died yesterday, so I put an order in for the G700. I decided I needed a wireless mouse as I think the cord is what gave out on the previous three, and the G700 seems like the best wireless on the market and the only one that will really meet my needs. Not too concerned about the side buttons as the only ones I used on the G500 were the browser forward and back buttons, but I may try to get used to the others for Diablo 3.

I got used to the awkward half-claw grip of the G500, though it always felt a little awkward. I prefer palm gripping as I find it more comfortable, so the G700 sounds like it ought to be about perfect.

steam_sig.png