As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Yeah I will definitely be open to using Teamspeak now after you've put so much work into it. It looks really nice.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    It does look very aesthetically pleasing.
    Isn't there an overlay in game that tells you who is talking? That would be extremely helpful.

• Options
    hypotheticalhypothetical Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    Hey all. I'm a long time lurker, but I decided to finally post since I'm way too excited about GW2 to hold it all in. So there. I let some of it out. What a relief!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Isn't there an overlay in game that tells you who is talking? That would be extremely helpful.

There is indeed an overlay that supports Direct X and OpenGL games. Apparently the overlay works in GW1, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in GW2, even with beta. Guess we'll find out.
    Hey all. I'm a long time lurker, but I decided to finally post since I'm way too excited about GW2 to hold it all in. So there. I let some of it out. What a relief!

There's more relief comin' next weekend!

488W936.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There is also a volume control mod that allows TS3 to turn down the volume of the game you are playing when people talk. I have yet to test that one out but the overlay works great in GW1.

Draygo went above and beyond on this one and really is owed a huge thanks.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    There is also a volume control mod that allows TS3 to turn down the volume of the game yo are playing when people talk. I have yet to test that one out bu the overlay works great in GW1.

Draygo went above and beyond on this one and really is owed a huge thanks.

I've tested volume control; it works quite well.

488W936.png
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My only complaint about TS so far was the in-game overlay. Vent doesn't have one at all, but Mumble has the best. The TS overlay is a window, showing everyone in the channel, which cannot be moved (or I couldn't figure out how to). The one for Mumble can be relocated, as the names only show up when they are talking.
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

There is indeed an overlay that supports Direct X and OpenGL games. Apparently the overlay works in GW1, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in GW2, even with beta. Guess we'll find out.

There's more relief comin' next weekend!

deleted.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    am0n wrote: »
    My only complaint about TS so far was the in-game overlay. Vent doesn't have one at all, but Mumble has the best. The TS overlay is a window, showing everyone in the channel, which cannot be moved (or I couldn't figure out how to). The one for Mumble can be relocated, as the names only show up when they are talking..

It's just fiddly. You have to go into the overlay's settings and turn on mouse polling for it to work for some games. Once you fiddle with the settings you should be able to move it around in game.

Edit: Also you can switch it to only show who is talking and not everyone in the chat list, if you'd like, by changing the Initialization Mode to minimal under the display tab on the overlay settings menu. In case anyone wants to just see who's talking.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    One of the many reasons I use two monitors. My second monitor is an absolute piece of crap but for voice comms and web browsing during gaming it's a godsend.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Are you guys all rolling on the same shard/world/server? I want to play with you.

we're planning to! i don't think we know what the server choices are yet, though

Okay, cool. I don't know what the servers are, either. I'm not sure if we're posting the list ahead of time or not... I'll find out.

This makes me so happy!

WaM: Just make sure they put in a server called Yak's Bend... and that's where we will go!

Also... that account.guildwars2 page... should it be possible for me to put in the name and password that I registered with and have it do something? Because it tells me that I have an invalid login....

I was able to log in and it displayed my username.xxxx (username with numbers) in the upper left corner but nothing else really.

Anyone know how we can get a prepurchaser list started? Same thing as the google docs one for voicecomm?

This is to enter data

This is to view the info

Edit: I got smart and made a form this time.

Looking at the list there is a ton of prepurchasers, next weekend is gonna be awesome. Debating taking that Friday off but id rather take launch day off...

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Are you guys all rolling on the same shard/world/server? I want to play with you.

we're planning to! i don't think we know what the server choices are yet, though

Okay, cool. I don't know what the servers are, either. I'm not sure if we're posting the list ahead of time or not... I'll find out.

This makes me so happy!

WaM: Just make sure they put in a server called Yak's Bend... and that's where we will go!

Also... that account.guildwars2 page... should it be possible for me to put in the name and password that I registered with and have it do something? Because it tells me that I have an invalid login....

I was able to log in and it displayed my username.xxxx (username with numbers) in the upper left corner but nothing else really.

Anyone know how we can get a prepurchaser list started? Same thing as the google docs one for voicecomm?

This is to enter data

This is to view the info

Edit: I got smart and made a form this time.

Looking at the list there is a ton of prepurchasers, next weekend is gonna be awesome. Debating taking that Friday off but id rather take launch day off...

And I can guarantee that won't even be everybody. I know I'll probably have a +1 to bring along, as well as some other people will too.

• Options
    I'm either going to take Friday off or get off work early to prepare for access and streaming. And of course so I can squee repeatedly in VC with everyone else.

488W936.png
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hopefully they let us download soon because my connection at home is terrible and it may take a couple days.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I am going to be overly excited to have GW2 on my PC, even if I can't play it, I just know it.

I think they said that it will be available for download early in the week.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    I'm thinking tuesday, since that's when a lot of things become available.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    If I'm lucky I wont have as much time to play(pretty much all day erry day) here soon. This IS a good thing, cause I've got an interview with General Electric tomorrow.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Tuesday would be incredibly convenient, since I'd be able to let the downloader run for near 24 hours due to prior engagements on Wednesday.

Otherwise I'd need to pause it for a while. I've got all my paper writing tools in another OS.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    If I'm lucky I wont have as much time to play(pretty much all day erry day) here soon. This IS a good thing, cause I've got an interview with General Electric tomorrow.

Awesome buddy, best of luck!

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    @Arthil GL

• Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    Good luck @Arthil, we're rooting for you!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Talk about GW2 in the interview. I'm sure their fans too.

• Options
    Oh I'm sure that in no way wont make me lose the job xP.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    One of the many reasons I use two monitors. My second monitor is an absolute piece of crap but for voice comms and web browsing during gaming it's a godsend.

Don't think I've had a one monitor setup in like 10 years, not sure why most people don't at this point (save for complete lack of space) - unless you *never* buy new monitors then you should have the hardware to do it already. One of my annoyances with GW1 is no 'full screen windowed' mode, hopefully GW2 has it.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Will a lot of people be taking Launch day off? Doesnt seem worth it to take BWE off since those will be wiped anyway. Launch Day is a Tuesday and prepurchase gets 3 days head start access? Im hoping they let us get in on Friday, if so id take monday off and at least get Fri-Mon of straight play time.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Will a lot of people be taking Launch day off? Doesnt seem worth it to take BWE off since those will be wiped anyway. Launch Day is a Tuesday and prepurchase gets 3 days head start access? Im hoping they let us get in on Friday, if so id take monday off and at least get Fri-Mon of straight play time.

how do you know launch day is a tuesday

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Getting a second monitor that is as good as the one I have now would be pretty expensive and a new monitor significantly adds to the already significant cost when building a new computer so I have been using the same monitor for like 6 years. I also like having a lot of space free on my desk.

• Options
    I don't even have a desk, my shit is all on a dresser and I use wooden TV dinner trays for my keyboard and mouse.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Space is usually the major issue. I assume most people have desks where 2 monitors just wouldnt work.

Also IMO it looks kind of silly and cumbersome. I mean single and living on your own sure, otherwise its kind of like "here is my nerdcore space"

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Space is usually the major issue. I assume most people have desks where 2 monitors just wouldnt work.

Also IMO it looks kind of silly and cumbersome. I mean single and living on your own sure, otherwise its kind of like "here is my nerdcore space"

Yep, and damn proud of it!

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular

Probably looked at Gamestop's estimated release date. June 26th happens to be a tuesday.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    The space that a second monitor would take up on my desk is currently occupied by the flotsam and jetsam of never cleaning my desk.

That space is important! Otherwise I would have to clean. Phsaw.

• Options
    I used to have a dinky white desk that couldn't support more then one monitor in my room until about a year or so ago, when me and my sister had built in desks and shelves put into the corner wall of our bedrooms. This built in desk has space for both my old computer and my new one side by side, plus a spot for my 43 inch TV (which I've used as a monitor for stuff like raiding Ulduar) to hang on the wall and a big fax machine/printer. Plus a bunch of drawers and stuff for storage and a filing cabinet. I'd say it's slightly more space then I needed.

My room is basically a hybrid man cave, library, movie theatre and office as well as a bedroom. And that's what happens when your parents are both accountants who make fairly good amounts of money and know how to manage and invest it wisely. The only drawback of my setup is that all the wires and background electronics are tied up in a draconian system of plastic stoppers and rollers, and whenever I want to plug/unplug/change something, it involves a half hour of locating and decoupling the damn things to make any progress towards what I set out to change.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    MY pc is on a small white table in the dining room which faces the TV in the living room. They are divded by the staircase which I face.

Its so I am not all alone when I play. I can be near the family this way.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular

Probably looked at Gamestop's estimated release date. June 26th happens to be a tuesday.

Well Tuesday isn't a bad guess. It seems quite a few games release in the middle of the week. I presume it is to smooth out the initial rush.

Also, Gamestop is full of it.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    MY pc is on a small white table in the dining room which faces the TV in the living room. They are divded by the staircase which I face.

Its so I am not all alone when I play. I can be near the family this way.

Yeah, my computer is shoved in the corner of our living room so me and the GF can still chat while I'm on the computer and she's watching TV or using her laptop on the coffee table.

• Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to answer this question for myself with the published info....

In WvWvW, are you able to grind gear in PVE or PVP and use it in that mode? Or will everyone have max gear/skills in this mode as well?

I know the more tournament oriented modes are going to give you max unlocks and maxed gear, but I really am hoping for some "realm vs. realm + gear you can grind" mode. I feel this shouldn't be left out of RPGs because it's fun to be one man or a small team vs. an army. Max gear and max unlocks sometimes gives me the feeling I should just play an FPS instead of clunky MMO combat, although I can still appreciate the tactical interaction of RPG style skills.

• Options
    WuvWuv has you with your usual gear, yes. All it does is boost your level and stats, but you're still a weak Level 80.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Otaking wrote: »
    I haven't been able to answer this question for myself with the published info....

In WvWvW, are you able to grind gear in PVE or PVP and use it in that mode? Or will everyone have max gear/skills in this mode as well?

I know the more tournament oriented modes are going to give you max unlocks and maxed gear, but I really am hoping for some "realm vs. realm + gear you can grind" mode. I feel this shouldn't be left out of RPGs because it's fun to be one man or a small team vs. an army. Max gear and max unlocks sometimes gives me the feeling I should just play an FPS instead of clunky MMO combat, although I can still appreciate the tactical interaction of RPG style skills.

"Grind"? I don't understand what you mean with how you're using that word.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    There is no grind, only fun :).

Which is true when you consider once you've gotten to max level the gear curve kinda flattens out. Now keep in mind fella's, there ARE better types of equipment. A blue isn't going to be as good as a Red which is a Legendary item. However the gear curve will never grow higher, you wont see it inflate to ridiculous levels as new content is added.

Here's the listing of all the rarities/the colors they are by the way, from the wiki:

Quality name Item color

Common White
    Fine Blue
    Masterwork Green
    Rare Yellow
    Exotic Orange
    Legendary Red
    Transmuted Purple

Gonna throw some people off at first, but it's reasonable if you've played GW1. It just uses a lot of the last few colors different.

• Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    WuvWuv has you with your usual gear, yes. All it does is boost your level and stats, but you're still a weak Level 80.

So...PVE gear? Do you have all your skill unlocks? Or does 80 = full skills now?

This discussion has been closed.