As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So, the whole set is up now.

God DAMN the art is fucking amazing.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Castle is back, baby!

The moral for Avacyn Restored? Humans all up ins. All colours, all the time. Except black. You get coal.

Regarding art, I bet Emancipation Angel will look stunning foil.

Edit 2: Other cool stuff for those of you who can't view it directly.

Nearheath Pilgrim - 1W
    Creature - Human Cleric Uncommon
    Soulbond
    As long as Nearheath Cleric is paired with another creature, both creatures have lifelink.
    2/1

When you have the ability to re-pair if the attached one dies? Seems like trading gets bad reeeeal quick for an opponent.

Captain of the Mists - 2U
    Creature - Human Wizard Rare
    Whenever another Human enters the battlefield under your control, untap Captain of the Mists.
    1{U}, {T}: You may tap or untap target permanent.
    2/3

Deadeye Navigator - 4UU
    Creature - Spirit Rare
    Soulbond
    As long as Deadeye Navigator is paired with another creature, both creatures have "1{U}: Exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield under your control."
    5/5

Dreadwaters - 3U
    Sorcery Common
    Target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of lands you control.

Elgaud Shieldmate - 3U
    Creature - Human Soldier Common
    Soulbond
    As long as Elgaud Shieldmate is paired with another creature, both creatures have hexproof.
    2/3

Dark Imposter 2B
    Creature - Vampire Assassin Rare
    4{B}{B}: Exile target creature and put a +1/+1 counter on Dark Imposter.
    Dark Imposter has all activated abilities of all creature cards exiled with it.
    2/2

Rakish Heirs has some competition!

Hanweir Lancer 2R
    Creature - Human Knight Common
    Soulbond
    As long as Hanweir Lancer is paired with another creature, both creatures have first strike.
    2/2

Kelor on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i don't know if vampires is a deck.

blood artist is like a really terribly bad kalastria highborn?
    and the exterminator is like a not very good spikeshot elder.

this is not the two-drop slot, quite :/

Lucedes wrote: »
    i don't know if vampires is a deck.

blood artist is like a really terribly bad kalastria highborn?
    and the exterminator is like a not very good spikeshot elder.

this is not the two-drop slot, quite :/

I'm probably going to go with Stormblood Beserker and Haste Soulbonder for my two drops. Worst comes to worst, they can be sacced to Aristocrat.

But yeah, Interloper/Child of the Night are pretty eh.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Although I'm overall quite pleased with the set, I must admit I'm a bit forlorn as well. When New Phyrexia was released, I knew right away that I was going to make a Standard Birthing Pod deck, and I've had mine for ~9 months or so now. I was really hoping that Avacyn Restored would have something to inspire me to a new Standard deck to last me another year, but I'm not really seeing anything as clearly as I did Pod.

Maybe some sort of UR deck. I'm not really a fan of Delvers, but they're definitely good. And I'm a bizarrely huge fan of Tandem Lookout.

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    i can see myself drafting a lot of green in avr

And black is about the only colour with removal at the common level.

• B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    The thing that bothers me the most about this set is that there are only two Wolfir.

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Another thing: I can't help but think that Lone Revenant is suuuuuuper good.

3UU
    Hexproof
    When ~ deals combat damage to a player, if you control no other creatures look at the top 4 cards of your library. Place one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    gonna try black demon heartless summoning loner deck

jCyyTSo.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kelor wrote: »
    And black is about the only colour with removal at the common level.

Depends on your definition of "removal".

White:
    Defang (sort of... on an aggressive guy, at least)
    Righteous Blow
    Zealous Strike (although why pump toughness on a trick that grants first strike?)

Blue:
    Crippling Chill (for two turns)
    Mist Raven (normally this would be a high pick, but maybe not in an ETB-heavy set like this)
    Peel from Reality (ditto)
    Spectral Prison (~ Ice Cage)

Black:
    Bone Splinters
    Death Wind (I think I'd rather have Disembowel most of the time, but still awesome)
    Ghoulflesh (kinda)
    Grave Exchange (I hope the format is slow enough for this to be as awesome as it looks)
    Necrobite (one of the meanest combat tricks ever)
    Undead Executioner (combo with Bone Splinters for maximum fun)

Red:
    Guise of Fire (see Ghoulflesh)
    Pillar of Flame (Magma Spray was a high pick; this should be too)
    Thunderbolt (in a set filled with Angels, Spirits, and Demons this will be maindeckable a fair amount of the time)

Green:
    Joint Assault (this will 2-for-1 people all weekend)
    Snare the Skies (lots of flyer-hate in this set)

Black certainly has the most and best (especially when compared to red -- what the hell happened there?), but it's certainly not the only one. Just beware of Cloudshift and Sheltering Word...

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Hell yes it is. I've got the visual spoiler up, have tea in hand, and am savouring it in a way that really should include a smoking jacket, some brandy and a roaring fire. Which is to say I'm loving the mechanics and artwork and can't wait to put in an order with my usual store next week.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

Hell yes it is. I've got the visual spoiler up, have tea in hand, and am savouring it in a way that really should include a smoking jacket, some brandy and a roaring fire. Which is to say I'm loving the mechanics and artwork and can't wait to put in an order with my usual store next week.

A few my favorites:
    vdaz1a2ok4_en.jpg1kifoekd0w_en.jpgr1vone5ebo_en.jpgi89sdwvbrp_en.jpgh242mzdvxk_en.jpg871ekxtpc5_en.jpgqn4sqlk53r_en.jpgnb3l872yqc_en.jpg

Taramoor on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of those are fantastic.

Having finally perused the entire spoiler, there are pretty much 3 sets of cards I want;

Those I hope to pull in the prerelease on Saturday.
    Those I want to buy for my EDH decks.
    Those I want to buy because they have incredible art.

There's definitely some overlap amongst them.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Bower Passage seems like an insanely good card to build a deck around.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Seems situational to me, unless your own deck is also full of flyers. (Does that make flyers unblockable, except by webbed creatures?)

Darian wrote: »
    Seems situational to me, unless your own deck is also full of flyers. (Does that make flyers unblockable, except by webbed creatures?)

Yeah. But like...Bower Passage + Signal Pest + spirit tokens seems like a pretty fast deck, potentially.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Oh damn, I didn't realize that. Time to make a flying g/???(flyers) deck.

jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2012
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Oh damn, I didn't realize that. Time to make a flying g/???(flyers) deck.

White has spirit tokens in abundance, blue always has fun flyers. Black has Vault Skirge. :bz

EDIT: Alternatively, this seems a good time for Thrummingbird to strut his stuff in a G/U Infect deck.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Let's not forget that blue also has that enchantment that gives your creatures with flying +1/+1.

Actually, maybe I'll just modify my Esper Spirits deck a bit and make that my new "Standard" deck of choice when Scars rotates.

:bz
    :bz is the best new smiley.

jCyyTSo.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    :bz
    :bz is the best new smiley.

:(|)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    What about something like

4xCavern of Souls set to "Horror" (for Phyrexian Swarmlord, Thrummingbird, and Plague Stinger)
    4xBower Passage

4x the aforementioned horrors
    ...profit?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I feel like the new set just built mono-red humans. All the pieces are there!

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I feel like the new set just built mono-red humans. All the pieces are there!

There are so many good red creatures at the low end of the curve. I feel like there are three or four versions of RDW that you could do.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Oh and because I completely forgot about it when thinking about the Bower Passage deck: Levitation is currently in Standard. So...there's that.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    trolling err'day

jCyyTSo.png
    Mmk, here's basically what I want to playtest at FNM.
    4 x Cavern of Souls

4 x Bower Passage
    2 x Levitation
    2 x Steady Progress

4 x Plague Stinger
    4 x Thrummingbird
    4 x Spellskite
    4 x Core Prowler
    4 x Signal Pest
    2 x Phyrexian Obliterator
    2 x Putrefax
    2 x Reaper of Sheoldred
    2 x Tangle Angler

<insert mana base>

All the creatures except Signal Pest are Horrors, so the Cavern of Souls is very nearly a City of Brass.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    If they're all horrors, toss in 1x descendant's path, lol.

jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2012
    I am going to make some sort of crazy fun deck involving Bruna, Elgaud Shieldmate and Phantasmal Image.

Elgaud Shieldmate and Phantasmal Image interaction seems really good in general.

It's not as good as Lord of the Unreal was for Tribal, which saw some play, but it's far more flexible and make whatever W/U Humans deck we see have even more hexproof threats beyond it's Geist.

Kelor on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EDIT: LUCEDES, MASTER OF READING AND QUEEN OF LITERACY.

Lucedes on
    Inifinite Reflection only works on non-token creatures I think.

I'll post up my W/R Humans deck shortly.

edited April 2012
    Uuuuugh I want to make a pentavus + cathar's crusade deck so badly. so, so badly. Spend 1 mana and remove a 1/1 from pentavus to put a 1/1 on pentavus and make a 1/1 flyer with +1/1

someone tell me how to make this deck work

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    Well I just threw mana together and made this
    1cmc mana makers:
    4x birds
    4x pilgrims
    4x elves

3cmc mana artifact:
    4x vessel of endless rest
    4x manalith

win condition 1: 2/2(or more) flyers for 1 mana each
    4x cathar's crusade
    4x pentavus

win condition 2: cast library with primal surge, warstorm surge player to death, or lab maniac and draw a card to win, or haste craterhoof trample
    4x craterhoof behemoth
    1x lab maniac, warstorm surge, soul of the harvest, primal surge

jCyyTSo.png
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    When you have the ability to re-pair if the attached one dies? Seems like trading gets bad reeeeal quick for an opponent.

Soulbond's rule text states quite explicitly that yes, you can re-pair if a soulbond creature is not currently paired

Edit: Okay maybe not explicitly, but it's implied from the article that talked about some of the soulbond cards

Nullzone on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    edit: anything that enters the battlefield and makes a token instantly locks the game in an infinite loop with infinite reflection. if you have a noncreature on the battlefield to take advantage of this, you do have infinite ETB triggers, but they have to kill your opponent.
    Inifinite Reflection only works on non-token creatures I think.

Correct, and for that reason.

Uuuuugh I want to make a pentavus + cathar's crusade deck so badly. so, so badly. Spend 1 mana and remove a 1/1 from pentavus to put a 1/1 on pentavus and make a 1/1 flyer with +1/1

someone tell me how to make this deck work

Another fun combo with Cathar's Crusade is Herald of War (Angel that makes your Angels and Humans cost less for each +1/+1 counter on her).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Nullzone wrote: »

Soulbond's rule text states quite explicitly that yes, you can re-pair if a soulbond creature is not currently paired

Edit: Okay maybe not explicitly, but it's implied from the article that talked about some of the soulbond cards

Yeah, the soulbond design article here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/191

Dave Humpherys talks about the original design for the mechanic, and how it didn't quite work the way they wanted:
    Second, and following from this first example, was that bind was actually quite parasitic. This didn't seem readily apparent to some playtesters, but let's take a closer look. If I play my one-drop bind creature, it is effectively vanilla unless I bind it with another bind creature, at which point both are granting their powers to each other. If either of those creatures later died, the other, if it had bind, couldn't be maximizing its own potential unless another bind creature came along, at which point it would gain its own power again.

It's pretty strongly implied here that they really want soulbond creatures to be able to re-pair after their partner dies.

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    so what shenanigans can we get out of dual casting in standard? midnight guard and token generators? soliton?

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Okay, this is a thing:

Miracle Temporal Mastery + flashbacked Increasing Vengeance + Reverberate = 5 extra turns in a row for 9 mana.

Or 3 extra turns for 6 mana. That's pretty good too.

Edited for miracle cost fail.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    If you Reverberate a flashbacked Increasing Vengeance, does the copy count as having been cast from the graveyard?