As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Hair Is Ruined! Can it be rebuilt?

Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My below shoulder length man hair is ruined!

I've been growing it out for a long time, and I just got through what is surely the most stressful time in my life (PhD exams). As a result, my hair has been falling out, breaking like crazy, and I've brushed it out WAY to many times from a real tangled "time to pull an all nighter and sleep in the library" state.

As a result, my hair is thin, weak, and unhealthy. I have TONS of little fly aways, and frizzies, and hairs that are WAY to short to be part of my awesome mane. Especially in the front. There are hairs there that are thin, broken, and short all over the place.

Is there anything I can do apart from cutting it all off and starting again?

I have some Garnier anti-frizz serum, and I'm gonna go buy some anti-breakage shampoo, but I feel like I'm seriously fighting a losing battle. I also switched from a paddle brush to one with bristles, because I think it is pulling less hair out of my head. My girlfriend says its fine and that I just need to use a little hair spray, but when I wake up in the morning, I look like Nick Nolte's mug shot.

signaturebighe7.jpg
Akilae729 on

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Go to a hairdresser and get their advice, everyone has different hair types and you don't want to end up using a product that makes your hair worse because it is too strong for your weak hair. They will also be able to trim those split end and generally clean it up. When you book, ensure they are aware that its a "rebuild" situation.

If its really that bad, I think its a case of needing a professional to help it recover.

• Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    Pics would help, but from what you described it's definitely time for a haircut. Depending on how bad it is you may get away with just losing a few inches to tidy it up, or you may need to lose more. If it's been fully falling out due to stress, and looking particularly thin, you may even want to think about using minoxidil.

• Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    If your hair is that damaged your diet almost certainly has something to do with it. Start eating lots of fish and up your intake of iron, protien and calcium. And zinc.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Liiya wrote: »
    Go to a hairdresser and get their advice, everyone has different hair types and you don't want to end up using a product that makes your hair worse because it is too strong for your weak hair. They will also be able to trim those split end and generally clean it up. When you book, ensure they are aware that its a "rebuild" situation.

If its really that bad, I think its a case of needing a professional to help it recover.

Probably the best advice.

Also don't tie it back for a while. Tying it back can really damage the hair around your forehead, the sides of your face, and the base of your neck. If you must have it back, don't tie it tight, and don't use shitty bands.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Or you can just shave it and start from scratch.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Look for shampoos & conditioners that are silicone free (search the ingredients for anything ending with -con or -cone and avoid those). Silicones build up on your hair and can make it dull and weigh it down.
    Look for products with eggs, yogurt, and melon extracts (protein & vitamin filled to repair damaged hair). Avocado, jojoba, and olive oils are also great for strenghtening and preventing breakage.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

Probably the best advice.

Also don't tie it back for a while. Tying it back can really damage the hair around your forehead, the sides of your face, and the base of your neck. If you must have it back, don't tie it tight, and don't use shitty bands.

Good point on tying it back.

I always have it tied back for work and my girlfriend says I'm tying it too tight.

This week I'm gonna make a salon appointment and see what sort of magic they can work for me. Unfortunately, I have a conference in two weeks, so it's looking likely that I'll cut a bunch off to look decent.

signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    TerraTerra Registered User regular
    Take fish oil everyday. That stuff is magic. Also try not to wash it everyday. Every other day will help keep your natural hair oil on longer.

• Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    Hooves wrote: »
    If your hair is that damaged your diet almost certainly has something to do with it. Start eating lots of fish and up your intake of iron, protien and calcium. And zinc.

this... garbage in garbage out, you need to look at things from the ground up

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    You could get it cut and just see what happens, a hairquest if you like.

One of my teachers shaved and tried new styles as it grew back, ended up with something way shorter

and she was a lady

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    As a guy who suffers from male pattern baldness, I feel you bro.

For styling, you'll want to go shorter for the time being. And as others said, use products that don't weigh the hair down. Head and Shoulders makes a version of their shampoo made specifically for thin hair, for example, and I find it works pretty good to keep things fluffy and looking a little fuller. But don't expect miracles.

Hopefully once your stress levels and diet level off, you'll get that thick hair back. Until then, consider me a brother in arms.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Heh, if your girlfriend says it's ok, it's probably not as bad as you think it is. Be careful not to brush or comb it when it's wet (except for a very wide toothed comb), and don't use hairbands with metal in them.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Trust the girlfriend, cause lets be honest, unless you are desperetly un/under-employed her's is the only opinions that matters.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    angry-muffinangry-muffin Registered User regular
    I don't have much advice to give, but I thought I'd highlight the importance of being clear and specific with hairdressers. My little brother is still upset over when he asked for his hair to be trimmed just enough so that he could see, and came home with a buzz cut. This was probably a case of an uncommonly bad hairdresser, but it still pays to be careful.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I don't have much advice to give, but I thought I'd highlight the importance of being clear and specific with hairdressers. My little brother is still upset over when he asked for his hair to be trimmed just enough so that he could see, and came home with a buzz cut. This was probably a case of an uncommonly bad hairdresser, but it still pays to be careful.

Maybe he said, "Trim it so it's just long enough so I can see it."

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

Maybe he said, "Trim it so it's just long enough so I can see it."

Or went to a place like SuperCuts. There really is a difference between the $10 special and the $40+ professional.