As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    So as a sign of how problematic it might be for my life if I actually buy this game, I have assembled a full set of rare +xp/+magicfind items.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Playing around a bit, it seems like elemental damage on your weapons doesn't carry over it's element type if you use skills that are "does damage as element x". I think attacks can only have one type of elemental damage on them at a time aside from physical, and I'm going to guess that the damage from other types on your weapons is just converted over if the skill is explicitly of a certain element.

I saw this when using a poison and a cold xbow DWing with a demon hunter and trying the different attacks. The normal skills were alternating showing the poison and cold effects on monsters, but when I used one of the "as fire damage" runes (I think it was the rapid fire skill) nothing was getting poisoned or colded anymore. Cold is especially easy to tell when it happened with some of the pop up text for snaring debuffs on.

So keep that in mind when selecting your runes if there are particular elements you want at whatever time.
    shryke wrote: »
    No.

Do we know how much of it it is? Without having played D2 in forever it seems like a comparable amount of content as Act 1 up to the monastery.

Not certain. Like 1/3rd maybe?

There's been a bunch of speculation on that based on some of the waypoint info. From I gathered it is up to roughly the point of where you go to Tristram in D2 or maybe a bit before that.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    There are 16 waypoints in Act I, and the beta gets you up to number 6.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    valiance wrote: »
    Lemming wrote: »
    Soul Harvest seems completely OP, it gives you up to +150 intelligence for 30 seconds which easily triples your damage. That plus Fire Bats is pretty absurd in terms of pure murder potential.

Its a flat intelligence amount so it might not scale well, but yes it is potentially very OP. We'll see.

See this thread for more: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?824678-Countdown-to-Soul-Harvest-nerf-3-2

On sacrifice chains ie circle of life vs other methods of summoning: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?825129-Best-Consistent-Sacrifice-WD-Ever!!!

The number looked like it changing around for me a bit on the soul harvest, so I'm not sure it is purely flat. It definitely isn't flat on level up though. And each point of intel is worth a 1% damage increase, so it will scale with your weapon damage some regardless.

Speaking of which, man the WD seemed a bit underwhelming until I combined soul harvest with the dire bat rune. Packs of enemies just melted with that combo, though it ate through mana like stupid.

Savant on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    So as a sign of how problematic it might be for my life if I actually buy this game, I have assembled a full set of rare +xp/+magicfind items.

Rare as in yellow items? Damn man. You are doomed.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And by the way, the intelligence given by Soul Harvest does scale, up to 130 INT per enemy at level 60 (see http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch-doctor/active/soul-harvest).

I think it's beyond premature to start declaring anything overpowered though.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can we declare stuff underpowered? I dislike Shock Pulse terribly. Ok, so that made me think of how someone mentioned the rune for it, explosive bolts, improving it. And so it does.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Tried the beta for the first time this weekend. Finished as wizard and which doctor, and played around with barbarian for a bit...

I can really understand the design choice of only allowing 4 players in a game. Every time I jumped into a game with 3 others, it felt really frantic, and most of the time I had no idea what was going on on-screen except PEW PEW PEW SPIDERS EVERYWHERE. More than 4 would be .... crazy.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I've done it, several times over, except not all rares because you can find/craft higher magic find numbers on blues most of the time. A few patches ago I got my MF Wizard up to around 125% MF :D (without shrine)

Rares are kinda crappy, for the most part, in beta.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    Well the beta was fun - I managed to get a full playthrough with both the Wizard and Monk, and got about half-way with a Witch Doctor. I think I had the most fun with the Monk, his abilities just seem so badass (teleporting punch to the face?! Yes please!). I was actually a little bit bored by the Witch Doctor, but I'm sure I'll give him a fair shot once the full game is out anyways.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Not sure I'm digging this. Glad to hear about the elective mode actually, which allievates one of my concerns. That said, I can't really place it, but it just doesn't seem to feel like a Diablo game to me. It just doesn't feel as creepy as the other games did. The world itself seems almost too alive. In D1 and D2 it felt like I was almost the last person left in the world you know, save for a few holdouts in the cities. In this game, it feels like I'm just random person #38742 going around killing a few monsters and running into other people all over the place.

The art direction also doesn't really lend itself to scary looking monsters. It honestly feels a lot like Torchlight, and while I loved Torchlight, it's a different game, and it's too cartoony for the Diablo universe. I know I co

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    datac0re wrote: »
    Well the beta was fun - I managed to get a full playthrough with both the Wizard and Monk, and got about half-way with a Witch Doctor. I think I had the most fun with the Monk, his abilities just seem so badass (teleporting punch to the face?! Yes please!). I was actually a little bit bored by the Witch Doctor, but I'm sure I'll give him a fair shot once the full game is out anyways.

The sheer thought of having a character that throws bottled spiders was enough to make me laugh my entire play through as him. The spider attack is wonderful for being able to prep for enemies and throw attacks over enemies. Know an enemies going to be popping out? Toss a bunch of spiders at his spawn.

gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Not sure I'm digging this. Glad to hear about the elective mode actually, which allievates one of my concerns. That said, I can't really place it, but it just doesn't seem to feel like a Diablo game to me. It just doesn't feel as creepy as the other games did. The world itself seems almost too alive. In D1 and D2 it felt like I was almost the last person left in the world you know, save for a few holdouts in the cities. In this game, it feels like I'm just random person #38742 going around killing a few monsters and running into other people all over the place.

The art direction also doesn't really lend itself to scary looking monsters. It honestly feels a lot like Torchlight, and while I loved Torchlight, it's a different game, and it's too cartoony for the Diablo universe. I know I co

The first two games weren't really creepy in the first act either(except The Butcher), its mostly when you get to Hell that it starts getting creepy. For the second part... almost everyone you meet is in the town(which is besieged by undead); the only person you find outside of it is Cain. All of the outlying farms and stuff are destroyed and the fields are barren.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Bah, can't edit my last post. The gist of it is this, I hoped that the art style (which I initially hated) would click for me in game, as opposed to just looking at screenshots and watching videos. It didn't. Still feels too cartoony. Second, I don't dig any of the new classes. The Templar seemed more interesting than any of the PC classes. I also don't like the way they're handling items relative to modifiers and how they affect skills. I can withold judgement on that until I get a full copy of the game though. Having uninteresting classes and an art style that doesnt work for me are both pretty big issues for me though.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Witch Doctor vid is up, no youtube yet though. Get to see the Gargantuan in action finally <3

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/04/23/diablo-iii-witch-doctor-spotlight-video

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    I went into this weekend thinking witch doctor or demon hunter would be my go to at launch. I found witch hunter a little boring for me. DH I was worried about based on early impressions but I ended up really enjoying her, but I'm glad I took one last run through with the Monk. Holy hell is the monk fun. Watching all of the enemies surrounding me explode on fire is soooo much fine. Definitely going to be my starter.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Bah, can't edit my last post. The gist of it is this, I hoped that the art style (which I initially hated) would click for me in game, as opposed to just looking at screenshots and watching videos. It didn't. Still feels too cartoony. Second, I don't dig any of the new classes. The Templar seemed more interesting than any of the PC classes. I also don't like the way they're handling items relative to modifiers and how they affect skills. I can withold judgement on that until I get a full copy of the game though. Having uninteresting classes and an art style that doesnt work for me are both pretty big issues for me though.

That's the funny thing, as soon as you buy the game, you've already lost the argument, as that's all Blizzard needs you to do. This isn't a subscription-based game like WoW so unless you're a micro-transaction jockey, they don't need to worry about retaining you outside of whether you're going to buy a future game.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well, that was a pretty damn fun weekend. I'm very glad i got the chance to give it a try cause firstly, I was very happy to see that the graphics settings were almost completely maxed out at highest resolution (1900x1200 all high settings except shadows at medium), and I saw narry a slowdown the entire time. My computer is several years old and my video card mid-ranged (230 nvidia), and ive been pondering an upgrade...good to know i wont need one immediately.

I played through with WD and DH, and a little monk to get a feel for the meele classes I liked them all and still cant decide what my first class playthrough will be. I played a little co-op last night to grind my DH from level 11 to 13, and that also was very smooth and seemed balanced, for that difficulty at least.

Blizzards special quality magic shines in the right places, and little things stand out that would be very unlikely to show up in other companies games. Such as this. If you take your templar NPC with you from starting a brand new game over, he has comments that pertain to the situations that occured before he officially comes into the game. When you reach the point where you normally would get him for the first time, he has comments like the one we are freeing is a different person, and he talks to him as such. Any other game would probably have just had your guy tag along and making no comment about the clone in front of him.

The WD at first, felt a little off. my poison darts seemed kinda boring, and the spiders while cool were slow acting and i was having to dance around too much but once i got zombie dogs, i really started feeling like it was a pet class, so the roles felt right. Monk was fun punching around, But i think he will be even more fun with a full range of skills to produce some kickass combos with.

The DH was pretty fun, I was worried early on that not having a pet would make for alot of kiting but she didnt feel very fragile and had some healthy escape options available to her.

Now, I must go strike my head with a hammer to forget everything for another 3 weeks.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    Wizard. All day. Every day.

xbl: halophilicNC
  • Options
    LukaszLukasz Registered User regular
    I'm really impressed by beta. Wizard FTW!

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Deswa wrote: »
    datac0re wrote: »

The sheer thought of having a character that throws bottled spiders was enough to make me laugh my entire play through as him. The spider attack is wonderful for being able to prep for enemies and throw attacks over enemies. Know an enemies going to be popping out? Toss a bunch of spiders at his spawn.

that spider attack is so awesome

it made me squick a bit at first but eventually i embraced my dark children

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I love spamming the spider attack. I think I mentioned that before. Witch Doctor is definitely my class come full release.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I only played Wiz up to about level 4 or 5, and then did a full run on Monk (omglightningpunches). I am full on excited for release. I plan on going barb from the start, so I didn't touch him to save for release. I really like the monk's second punch, where it slices through (which helps you not have to chase mobs all over).

And watching that Witch Doctor video just made me realize how amazing other scenery is going to look! All we've seen in the game is cellars, caves and some cathedral. There is so much still to do!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The atmosphere I think was more just a creepy if not more, and running around the old dilapidated Tristam was cool...I didn't even realize until I saw the sign for Griswolds.

I think we're all just a little more jaded to this sort of thing after 10 years.

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    The atmosphere I think was more just a creepy if not more, and running around the old dilapidated Tristam was cool...I didn't even realize until I saw the sign for Griswolds.

I think we're all just a little more jaded to this sort of thing after 10 years.

You didn't realize you were in Tristram even after the giant letters Old Tristram popped up and your character said something about Old Tristram and how Diablo himself walked this place? :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Anyone tried this game with a controller yet? Is it even mappable?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't really get the not creepy argument. Granted, it's extremelly subjective... But how can anyone be creeped byt the regular green flat fields of D2? Or the eye-bursting vomit yellow of act 2?

The only creepy parts of early D2, to me, were the mini dungeons. Also, they put corpses everywhere in D3, as far as we can see. a LOT of corpses EVERYWHERE.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I don't really get the not creepy argument. Granted, it's extremelly subjective... But how can anyone be creeped byt the regular green flat fields of D2? Or the eye-bursting vomit yellow of act 2?

The only creepy parts of early D2, to me, were the mini dungeons. Also, they put corpses everywhere in D3, as far as we can see. a LOT of corpses EVERYWHERE.

It's nostalgia. Plus most people were what? 10-15 years younger than they are now? I know that when I played D2 it was when it first came out and I was in my teens. The things that creeped me out back then compared to now are wholly different.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I find D3 much creepier then D2 but I agree that D2 had an aura of hopelessness about it that D3 is lacking.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Game would be creepier if the monsters were less predictable, I suppose, and if they enforced the line of sight more. Maybe bring that dark fog in a bit?

I don't know. Was creepiness really an issue with that game? I never cared about that. I was just constantly afraid of being swarmed.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    The Act II dungeons in D2 were creepy, especially the maggot lair, primarily because you couldn't see shit in front of you and hey, LE beetles. I hate beetles.

On a side note, now that the beta is drawing to a close, the beta client won't be used for the actual game right? So no harm uninstalling it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Slimcea wrote: »
    The Act II dungeons in D2 were creepy, especially the maggot lair, primarily because you couldn't see shit in front of you and hey, LE beetles. I hate beetles.

On a side note, now that the beta is drawing to a close, the beta client won't be used for the actual game right? So no harm uninstalling it?

Yeah, it's a completely separate thing. My beta didn't use any of my pre-order download.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was 13 when the original Diablo was released. Of course I thought it was creepier back then.

I think there's some good atmosphere in this version of the game, and it's gotten a nice update--the 3D and physics specifically are fantastic. But to be honest I was not really paying attention to the story at all this weekend. I've seen so many videos of the beta stuff that none of it was new to me. I was more interested to see what the various classes could do. That being said, I think the atmosphere in the old Cathedral is fantastic.

On release I'm going to slow way down and try to take everything in. I'll play solo most of the time just to get some of that old school feel back.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Skab wrote: »

I've done it, several times over, except not all rares because you can find/craft higher magic find numbers on blues most of the time. A few patches ago I got my MF Wizard up to around 125% MF :D (without shrine)

Rares are kinda crappy, for the most part, in beta.

Holy Shit! I am humbled. You guys are monsters. :^:
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I felt pretty unstoppable in D2 until andariel. And loot before meph/baal/diablo runs was always terrible, so not sure what people are complaining about :P.

This is truth. :^:

Although here's the flip side: If D3 feels too easy, remember than in D2 you were likely hoarding stat and skill points and were thus artificially gimped for most of the early game. And it was STILL a cakewalk.

D1 was creepy as fuck. In D1 you're creeping slowly (no run, remember!) through a dark, cramped dungeon, with a single target weapon (unless you're a dirty OP sorceror), opening doors and funneling packs through chokepoints. The only elements were lightning, fire and magic, no bright green for poison damage, or bright blue for frozen damage. I mean it had its bright colors, but nowhere near D2.

D2 was cartoony, with tons of bright colors and stuff everywhere. Great game, but the gameplay (fast, lots of AOE skills, tons of monsters, open spaces) and the art direction (tons of colors, bright, lots of outdoor lighting) means it was far less creepy than D1. It was D1 bigger and better, it went more down the ARPG line (indeed basically created the genre) and not the roguelike line.

D3 seems to strike a balance. I mean there's a dude with a corpse wagon right at the entrance of town. It's certainly less desolate than D2, but I think it's more atmospheric. I always liked the D3 art direction and never got the controversy over it being too bright. People have a lot of false memories about how "dark" D2 supposedly was. Plus the environments in D3 are amazing. Gorgeous.

valiance on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Nothing carries over.

Not even the flag unlocks?

'Cause, uhhhh.....
    Screenshot000.jpg

And I didn't even care about this game with Torchlight 2 coming out and those are the first achievements I've ever fully completed in my life.

Plus the flag does look pretty baller!

Flaaaag.jpg

Kelor on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    D3 seems to strike a balance. I mean there's a dude with a corpse wagon right at the entrance of town. It's certainly less desolate than D2, but I think it's more atmospheric. I always liked the D3 art direction and never got the controversy over it being too bright. People have a lot of false memories about how "dark" D2 supposedly was. Plus the environments in D3 are amazing. Gorgeous.

Main contributing factor to claims of dark diablo 2 is light radius. It was pretty dark everywhere except for the area around you! And all the people who ran map-hack.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Played through as a Witch Doctor and Sorcerer, got about halfway on monk/barb/demon hunter before I decided they wouldn't be launch day classes for me.

I did not expect Sorc to be as fun as it is, probably going witch doctor to start... maybe.

For anyone having freezing/skipping issues, make sure to let the beta fully download. Just getting it to playable isn't enough. When I tried that I would get 6 second freezups, and it would happen reliably when throwing spider jars. I read up and this is apparently a very common thing.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I played through with a Demon Hunter and Wizard and had a blast. My demon hunter ended up doing more damage, but they were pretty close. I played those two mainly because I didn't want to play them when the game gets released, but they both ended up being really fun. I plan on trying out the Monk first when it drops though.

I wasn't going to play the beta at all, but I was concerned about my computers performance. It ran fine, and if they clean it up a bit more I shouldn't have any problems in retail. Nice to know I don't have to drop a chunk of change on a new rig.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I'm assuming we can only have 1 rune modifying a skill at a time? Or can we select multiples?

• Options
    Madpanda wrote: »
    For anyone having freezing/skipping issues, make sure to let the beta fully download. Just getting it to playable isn't enough. When I tried that I would get 6 second freezups, and it would happen reliably when throwing spider jars. I read up and this is apparently a very common thing.

I'm worried my problem is just my ISP. I have MASSIVELY higher then necessary specs but my connection isn't very fast, regular old DSL. Everything was well and truly downloaded and I had awful, awful freezing, rubber banding and choppy FPS even with everything turned down.

This discussion has been closed.