As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Simple song (mp3) editing software?

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got a few songs in my music collection that I want to do some very simple editing on. As an example, Breaking Benjamin final track on their first CD, titled "Shallow Bay" has a hidden track on it. I'd like to split the hidden track off and make it into its own song.

Another example: I have a few other songs, which all happen to be the final track on an album that have a lot of dead space or other nonsense that I'd like to just clip out and be rid of.

I burn a lot of mix CDs to listen to in my car, and putting these tracks onto a mix CD is really awful, and as a result, a lot of music that I enjoy listening to doesn't get played nearly as much as I'd like, just because I don't want to deal with all the fluff.

So anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for some easy to use software that will allow me to split and/or truncate music tracks. I don't plan on doing anything else beyond that, so I don't need some super fancy suite. I just need something basic (and simple) that will allow me to do what I want to do.

Lucascraft on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    As a follow-up thought: I have both a Windows PC as well as a Macbook Air laptop, so the software can either be for Windows or Lion. Either is fine.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Look up Audacity.

• Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    I will second Audacity. It's what I use and it does pretty good.

Signature??
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yep. Audacity is what you want.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Audacity, you'll need to get the LAME MP3 plugin too but there's a link on their page.

• Options
    jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    I'll uh, 5th Audacity. When using it make sure to adjust the export settings for higher quality, default is okay, but you can get better.