As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    But doesn't tote Tank around.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Finally got around to watching the new episode and loved it. Several things really stood out for me.
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Good Idea wrote: »
    Good Idea wrote: »
    Huh. Wikipedia has this to say on Cadence:
    In Western musical theory, a cadence (Latin cadentia, "a falling") is, "a melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of repose or resolution [finality or pause]."

Finality. End of season. Coincidence? There's also something called a
    Ponies teach me things about music theory. Who would have thought.

I think it's more a reference to this. Which is a related meaning, but more relevant.

Ah yes, the obvious horse pun. Which I totally missed. Also, apparently it's the name of an executive's daughter.

edit: Turn out there is, in fact, more to it. Daniel Ingram is a very clever composer, and of course he knows all about cadences and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqX0ud1eN-E&feature=related
    There was actually a double meaning in the song. The song is in the key of Db Major (just like winter wrap up and smile!) . That means that the root chord is a Db major chord. Usually, a Ab major chord will lead into a Db major. This is the V-I chord progression and it is also known as the Authentic Cadence (stick with me here). Now, it seems to resolve to a sadder chord at the end of the phrase. Instead of ending on Eb major around 1:16, it lands on Bb minor: the relative minor of Db major. Now, when a chord progression seems to be heading to the root chord but lands on the relative minor instead, that is called a...
    Deceptive Cadence
    Also worth noting, listen to how Twilight sings the last "forever" in the song. Her little cadenza (I am seriously not making these words up) quotes the opening notes of the theme song
    edit: did my transposing wrong

:D

mind-blown-timanderic.gif

-Pinkie Pie sneezes confetti!
    -Loved the villain. Made my skin crawl.
    -Cadence with a teenage pony tail (human tail?) was adorable.
    -So the explanation for repeated ponies in the background is changelings now?
    Derpyancientchangelings.png

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    If anyone can provide a wallpaper size picture of Pinkie Pie shooting changeling with the confetti cannon, you'll be my best friend!

• OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    Some of the video compression carried over on the still but
    3TtzT.jpg
    There you go :)

sigsh.gif
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So was I the only one thinking
    that it was really stupid of Chrysalis to scoff at the idea of the power of love defeating her?

The power of friendship defeated one villain and turned another into stone. Imagine what love could do!

pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited April 2012
    darunia106 wrote: »
    that it was really stupid of Chrysalis to scoff at the idea of the power of love defeating her?

The power of friendship defeated one villain and turned another into stone. Imagine what love could do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkAVfsw5xSQ
    20BCK.png

SabreMau on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkAVfsw5xSQ
    20BCK.png

I like to dissect changelings. Did you know I'm utterly insane?

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    On reflection, the resolution wasn't quite as bullshitty as I I thought, once I realized the spell at the end was just a modified version of Shining Armor's shield (we already saw inanimate objects and friendlies being able to pass through it earlier in the episode), not something he pulled out of nowhere. With the combination of that spell being his specialty, Cadence being basically the alicorn of Love, her and Shining Armor's love being strong enough to allow the Queen to defeat Celestia, and the previously established connection between friendship/love and magic... I guess I'll allow it. YOU HEAR ME, MLP WRITERS? YOU GOT AWAY WITH IT THIS TIME, BUT I'M WATCHING YOU. MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IN THIS WORLD OF MAGICAL TALKING PONIES IS ON THIN ICE AS IT IS, DON'T PUSH IT.

EDIT: Pacing-wise it still felt rushed, though, I stand by that. Probably inevitable given how much they had to cram into the second half.

Wandering Idiot on
    DKtxw.jpg
    l5uSj.jpg
    qFm1z.jpg
    92aFM.jpg
    Dftkw.jpg

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    On reflection, the resolution wasn't quite as bullshitty as I I thought, once I realized the spell at the end was just a modified version of Shining Armor's shield (we already saw inanimate objects and friendlies being able to pass through it earlier in the episode), not something he pulled out of nowhere. With the combination of that spell being his specialty, Cadence being basically the alicorn of Love, her and Shining Armor's love being strong enough to allow the Queen to defeat Celestia, and the previously established connection between friendship/love and magic... I guess I'll allow it. YOU HEAR ME, MLP WRITERS? YOU GOT AWAY WITH IT THIS TIME, BUT I'M WATCHING YOU. MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IN THIS WORLD OF MAGICAL TALKING PONIES IS ON THIN ICE AS IT IS, DON'T PUSH IT.
    There were a couple of moments after Candance says that her love will strengthen him where you just have to wince, but then epic shield spell saves the moment!

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I should not be laughing as hard as I am at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzkkP003MT8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    An evil entity that feeds on love? Sounds like a succubus to me.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Blurbl wrote: »
    From the guys with did Epic Cupcake Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE

Just watched this. It's top notch!

If we can get a few more things of this standard in the summer it won't seem so bad

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Overlord wrote: »
    Some of the video compression carried over on the still but
    3TtzT.jpg
    There you go :)
    LbeMD.jpg

Quality is a little better on the iTunes version. Granted it's still only a screen grab.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Thank you guys!

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well the wedding was pretty cool.

As for you guys disliking the addition of another alicorn...I think you guys just need to put this in proper perspective.

Your all set on making this a land where Celestia and luna are actual gods, and if thats the case then just apply greek mythology to it. Zeus had tons of kids, some in very odd ways, such as athena being born after him eating the child as a newborn, and then having to crack his skull open since apparently she wormed his way into his brain. So its not out of the ordinary in our mythos to assume celestia cannot spawn somehow, or bestow divinity upon a regular pony that has earned her honor. Celestia is immortal, but we kind of know that she doesnt do this often, but never in the show was it said she was a niece, and its not a stretch to see celestia as the sun god, luna the moon/night goddess, Cadence as the goddess of love, etc.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Blurbl wrote: »
    From the guys with did Epic Cupcake Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE

Just watched this. It's top notch!

If we can get a few more things of this standard in the summer it won't seem so bad

Near 50,000 views and 7,500 likes in one day. We are truly in a time where anything Pony related sells.

Well, guess I should clarify that with any good Pony related item sells. But I guess the .mov vids could be an exception.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    e96.jpg

4ee.png

83c.jpg

Joolander on
  • Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular
    Loved the episode... my only complaint was that Cadence's motivation was really weak when we first found out she was evil. She was just an evil pony about to marry someone she didn't love for... no discernible reason. They got to it later but it was a little bit of a missed opportunity to really explore her evilness.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I kind of hope that the entirety of Season 3 is Equestria dealing with the Changelings and their various attempts to feed off of the pony civilization. They very clearly did not imprison or kill the invaders, they just booted them out of the city. Maybe even have the Changelings free Discord at some point, not realizing exactly what kind of lunacy they were freeing. It could be delicious.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Riokenn on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    I was watching the This Day Aria again and noticed that changeling!Cadence doesn't just have a different color of unicorn magic than real Cadence, but the magic also sizzles up her horn in a way that's totally different from when unicorns use magic. Such a nice touch!

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just want to go on record that I would love to get a Chrysalis toy. In fact, if Hasbro made a 3-pack (Chrisalys, Dischord, NMM) I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Agreed!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited April 2012
    MrDapper wrote: »

Yeah

Yeah

Man, this show is so action packed, especially when it's cut like that.

Quantum Tiger on
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Love is in Bloom has been stuck in my head since the episode. I can't wait for the Eurobeat remix of it.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I'm about to buy both seasons on iTunes. $50 each. I remember during black friday/xmas season 1 was on sale for $30. Can anyone think of a sales reason that might put the seasons on sale again sometime soon? I'm not going to wait until Black Friday to buy the seasons, but if there's like a Mayday sale or something, I can wait for that.

jCyyTSo.png
    The only time a season was ever on sale was during the black friday sale and that lasted till Jan. 4th. If you can't handle youtube or just like to support the show I suggest you get em through iTunes. I would have waited for S2 to end, or atleast a sale to buy the second season. But I got suckered in buying it during the Hearts and Hooves iTunes leak.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    You know, I'm starting to think that Celestia, while powerful by average pony standards, isn't actually all that strong. I mean, she helps shift the sun (or something?) but.. otherwise, dunno. Obviously she can't be too powerful otherwise past villains wouldn't even matter but I dunno.. feels off?

Man, ponies.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    You know, I'm starting to think that Celestia, while powerful by average pony standards, isn't actually all that strong. I mean, she helps shift the sun (or something?) but.. otherwise, dunno. Obviously she can't be too powerful otherwise past villains wouldn't even matter but I dunno.. feels off?

Man, ponies.

I think it's a very good thing to teach our children that no one is all powerful. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    True, and I don't disagree.
    Though I wish she had put up slightly more of a fight against the villain. Or perhaps the villain did something like attack someone and Celestia had to stop her and took damage. I mean, it's not a huge deal, kids show and all but I wish she was a bit more powerful.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    We all know that if Luna hadn't been napping, that fight would have ended double-quick.

I always tend to like characters that end up not getting much screen time. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular

Man, ponies.

They never said she was an all-powerful demigod, that's just what fans assumed because she's both their ruler and a very powerful magic user.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012

Man, ponies.

They never said she was an all-powerful demigod, that's just what fans assumed because she's both their ruler and a very powerful magic user.

And seemingly immortal.

Edit: Although logic dictates that a Demigod can't be all-powerful.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    She controls the sun.

Thats pretty damn powerful.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »
    She controls the sun.

Putting her on the same level as the rooster from Rock a Doodle.

VbA8k.jpg

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    She controls the sun.

Putting her on the same level as the rooster from Rock a Doodle.

VbA8k.jpg

Oh man that movie. I mean the very fact that it has quite possibly the biggest plothole EVER in a film it's just a shitty musical overall. Can't believe the same guy who did Rock a Doodle did Secret of Nym.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think we've all been inferring extra power to her. She controls the rise and setting of the sun, she's ageless, she's intelligent, she's wise, and she's well-read. This doesn't mean she's the equivalent of Elminster. I'd say she's more Yoda, who is plenty wise and powerful but has more than once run into a problem he can't just asskick his way out of. Which is a great lesson for kids.

If Luna had somehow managed to not be dead to the world, though, I think the two of them could have taken the Changeling queen. It was a near thing even with Celestia by herself, and Luna has it in her to be more aggressive, I think.

What would be interesting would be if, in season 3, we saw Celestia occasionally calling on Twilight to show her what she's learned about magic (not friendship type, but unicorn magic), and surreptitiously studying what her student has learned to try out herself later. Then Twilight catches her at it, and she admits that her defeat at the wedding had allowed her to realize she'd become complacent, and there was always more to learn. So Celestia writes a letter to herself. "Dear Me, It's not a weakness to admit you aren't perfect."

Or is that too much?

• PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Adored the changeling's designs and constant chittering, Celestia's fall was a great scene and brief Luna cameos
    Everything's in order here

This discussion has been closed.