As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    No.

Do we know how much of it it is? Without having played D2 in forever it seems like a comparable amount of content as Act 1 up to the monastery.

It's actually no where close to as long as D2 up to the monastary

But yeah its about a third

override367 on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I'm assuming we can only have 1 rune modifying a skill at a time? Or can we select multiples?

Just 1.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    No.

Do we know how much of it it is? Without having played D2 in forever it seems like a comparable amount of content as Act 1 up to the monastery.

As someone stated earlier on in the thread, there are 16 waypoints in act 1, in beta we get up to 6.

Kelor wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Nothing carries over.

Not even the flag unlocks?

'Cause, uhhhh.....
    Screenshot000.jpg

And I didn't even care about this game with Torchlight 2 coming out and those are the first achievements I've ever fully completed in my life.

Plus the flag does look pretty baller!

Nothing carries over. Achievements are mostly beta exclusive/specific anyway, and they've wiped it all several times.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Oh man, and when I was trying to break graves and barrels and such with spiders? So clunky and inefficient. And those dogs are no help either!

firebats and runed poison dart work great for that. entangling arrow OTOH is disappointingly bad at breaking barrels.
    The problem is not having enough skill slots to spec into a "barrel breaker" until later levels.

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Before playing the beta I'd convinced myself barbarian was the way to go, with demon hunter and wizard as a second class when playing with friends.

Well... barbarian is still my first choice. Sheeeeeit, I felt like a beast even before unlocking leap. Being able to jump into the fray was the icing on the cake.

DH and wizard didn't grab me though. I much preferred witch doctor for a ranged class. I keep hearing love for jar of spiders, but the triple shot poison dart was my preference. I love targeting those fat dudes first and setting off a chain reaction of carnage. It really seemed like the mobs had been set up with that in mind. Fat dude surrounded by a swarm of zombies. BOOM!

I left the monk to last because I figured there was no way he could top the barb. He didn't, but was a lot more fun than I expected.

• CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Played through the Beta with the Witch Doctor this morning. Do not like him at all. So far, I am still leaning toward the Demon Hunter. I think that I will try the Monk next.

76561197967491341.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Those concerned about the atmosphere should be advised that Blizzard has stated that things get darker/bleaker as the acts go on.

Act 1 is "things are not looking good, dead rising again and shit." I can only imagine act 3/4 are "we are so fucked."

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Is there a way to tell how much damage skills do? Like, there's a rune for the wizard magic missile spell that increases damage. Well, how much does it increase it by?

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I was just impressed with how many different random encounters there were compared to D2. Two possible encounters in the crypts, I think I had 3 or 4 different mini cellar areas just in the area's around New Tristram, as well as a few unique encounters in the Cathedral itself. It definitely means the recurring play throughs of each difficulty can and will throw you some minor twists to keep things fresh, which is refreshing to see.

Also, one thing I noticed. My first monk kill of the Skeleton king, I did *not* get a rare off him. But I did get 4 blues. So that was a bit odd.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to tell how much damage skills do? Like, there's a rune for the wizard magic missile spell that increases damage. Well, how much does it increase it by?

Turn on advanced tooltips in the options.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Being able to leap up and down ledges is fun as shit.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Oh man I thought it was coming out on the week of the 22nd for some reason.

Should probably amend my booked week off.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular

If you hold ctrl while mousing over a skill, it will say "does x% of weapon damage". You can also turn on advanced tooltips in the options to always display that info without holding ctrl.

I wish it would display even more concrete info, as with some skills it is still ambiguous. For example, bash says "Brutally smash an enemy for 150% weapon damage". But is that both weapons? Mainhand only? Or does it alternate between mainhand and offhand? The animation looks like he swings both simultaneously.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Also, one thing I noticed. My first monk kill of the Skeleton king, I did *not* get a rare off him. But I did get 4 blues. So that was a bit odd.
    Weird, I thought that was fixed. I know earlier in the beta you only had like a 90% chance to get a rare (my WD went rareless on his first kill), but I thought they figured out that was dumb and made the first-time kill give guaranteed rare(s) recently?

forty on
  • SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    Weird, I thought that was fixed. I know earlier in the beta you only had like a 90% chance to get a rare (my WD went rareless on his first kill), but I thought they figured out that was dumb and made the first-time kill give guaranteed rare(s) recently?

I killed him with 5 new chars over the weekend, got rares on all of the first kills. Most of the rares were crap though. Best thing I got was probably a rare orb off hand for the wizard and also some level 3? Rare Barb/Str Gloves.

• SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    I hope you all tried DH's Chakram. Hello Hammerdin 2.0! Shit's crazy.

I was completely meh about the class until I got that. Chakram + Impale + Grenades might turn out to be a superb melee DH build.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Couple guys at work are taking a week off from work... One is even taking two weeks. I envy them.

Sirson wrote: »

I killed him with 5 new chars over the weekend, got rares on all of the first kills. Most of the rares were crap though. Best thing I got was probably a rare orb off hand for the wizard and also some level 3? Rare Barb/Str Gloves.
    OK? That doesn't make it not suck to kill a big boss and not see anything yellow pop out.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    The Act II dungeons in D2 were creepy, especially the maggot lair, primarily because you couldn't see shit in front of you and hey, LE beetles. I hate beetles.

That was one of the worst parts of Act 2. Being pinned to a narrow hallway where didn't even have the opportunity to dodge attacks was BS. All it did was encourage people to get rushed straight to Duriel (the worst part of Act 2).

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    urahonky wrote: »
    Couple guys at work are taking a week off from work... One is even taking two weeks. I envy them.

That...is ridiculous. As much as I love video games and Diablo, I refuse to take anymore than a day (two max) off to play any video game.

One day? Yeah okay, understandable if you're excited.

Two days? That's pushing it.

A whole week? You must really dislike your job or have a serious problem.

KoopahTroopah on

I'm going to take the 15th off... figure I can enjoy or try to at least the midnight release, wake up bleary eyed with a cramped hand, and play all day Tue.

That...is ridiculous. As much as I love video games and Diablo, I refuse to take anymore than a day (two max) off to play any video game.

Two days? That's pushing it (but since 5/15 is a Wednesday, Thursday/Friday off for a 4 day weekend is an idea).

Eh, the only other real holidays I take are for festivals in the summer and those are only a couple of days off as they run over the weekend.

I get 28 days, may as well use em to enjoy my hobby rather than just waste em doing nothing at the end of the year.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Playing the beta over the weekend reminded me exactly how much D2 wrecked my wrist. I don't think I can take it (at least, not as monk). Seems like I would have to play wizard (or DH? What is *least* clicky? Ray of frost as a starter seemed pretty benign.)

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Not saying my job sucks or anything but a week off just to play video games sounds amazing.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Two days? That's pushing it (but since 5/15 is a Wednesday, Thursday/Friday off for a 4 day weekend is an idea).

Eh, the only other real holidays I take are for festivals in the summer and those are only a couple of days off as they run over the weekend.

I get 28 days, may as well use em to enjoy my hobby rather than just waste em doing nothing at the end of the year.

I suppose. I'd also like to mention that I have no desire to be the "first" to inferno. I'm going to savor every delightful minute of normal mode that I can and explore every inch of map area. However, playing from dawn to dawn for 7 days sounds more like a chore and less like an enjoyable experience.

KoopahTroopah on
    I've love to take a week off to play D3 but that just isn't a realistic scenario with my job.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Playing the beta over the weekend reminded me exactly how much D2 wrecked my wrist. I don't think I can take it (at least, not as monk). Seems like I would have to play wizard (or DH? What is *least* clicky? Ray of frost as a starter seemed pretty benign.)

I seriously haven't used a mouse in months and dusted it off to use with the beta. I actually was doing pretty well with my trackpad; some tinkering with the settings might let me lose the mouse altogether. My arm/wrist just isn't used to doing that anymore.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I get 3 weeks of vacation a year, I end up taking 1 week for my birthday, and then the other 2 weeks usually whenever I want. Taking weeks off for game releases isn't terrible, and its not like you OMG HAVE TO PLAY from dawn to dawn like Koopah says. :p It just means that when you do want to play that game that first week, theres nothing stopping you.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I have to figure that the huge aoe spells of the wizard, properly runed, would probably yield the most damage per click. the beta was a little spam-heavy, though, I only got to 9 with my wizard and arcane orb + magic missile + kiting backwards was a fair bit of APM.

Torgairon on
    It seems like what generates the most clicks for me isn't combat but chests/dead villagers/environment stuff. Or maybe I just notice those more.

I suppose. I'd also like to mention that I have no desire to be the "first" to inferno. I'm going to savor every delightful minute of normal mode that I can and explore every inch of map area. However, playing from dawn to dawn for 7 days sounds more like a chore and less like an enjoyable experience.

Oh I'm in no way a rusher, I'll be exploring and taking in every sight and sound I can find but I'm not gonna be playing constantly too.

Trying to save for a new house/car in your early-mid twenties is difficult at the best of times, so relaxing at home playing games and sitting in the garden reading for a week allows me to save a bunch of money but still head to some festivals with friends and treat those as holidays too.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I get 4 weeks vacation per year, 5 if I stretch it out a little (which I usually do), 6 if I'm willing to commit to some pretty hefty overtime hours for a few extra lieu days.

I generally only take full weeks off (9 days off in a row at the cost of 4-5 days vacation/lieu/etc), so while I may take a week off "for diablo 3" in early June, it'll be a combination marathon playing, running errands, and just enjoying being paid to not be at work. It's not like I play to put 100 hours into the game that week, but yeah, there might be some excessive playtime periods, counterpointed by some movie viewing, MTG deck building, Malifaux figure assembly/painting, other game backloggery, napping, etc.

But as a short hand, "taking a week off to play diablo 3" pretty much sums up the primary interest/goal/intent.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    It just means that when you do want to play that game that first week, theres nothing stopping you.

except the missus :P

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

This is why I'm so interested in the possibility of using an xbox controller on my PC, but I haven't heard if anyone's given it a try.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Really?

Two days? That's pushing it.

If you have nothing to really spend your vacation days on, why not just schedule your times off when you can laze around just playing games?

I have 19 days of vacation a year, I'm too far away from my family to see them more then at Xmas time, which i usually schedule 9-10 vacation days for, but the rest, I was single for a while so vacations seem kinda wasteful and I wasnt making enough to really want to waste the money on them, so I wasnt afraid to just use them whenever...a day here or there, give myself a 4 day weekend before or after a big project, and not have anything planned, just free time. a week for a game does sound like a bit much, but it depends. I'll usually take 1-2 days off to play, even with the WoW expansions i would just take a few days off to make it a long weekend and that would be enough. Still, dont see anything wrong with using the vacation days for something you like.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Septus wrote: »

This is why I'm so interested in the possibility of using an xbox controller on my PC, but I haven't heard if anyone's given it a try.

As far as I know it's not a controller friendly game out of the box although it really probably should be. You could probably use one of those controller mapper programs with it and get it to work alright.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Sirson wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

As far as I know it's not a controller friendly game out of the box although it really probably should be. You could probably use one of those controller mapper programs with it and get it to work alright.

Its extremely hard to emulate the mouse movement with a controller. It would have to be the analog -> mouse emulation, which would mean you'd have a pretty poor time playing it with a controller. It doesnt support a controller without emulation, currently.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It seems like what generates the most clicks for me isn't combat but chests/dead villagers/environment stuff. Or maybe I just notice those more.

Well, as a monk you don't get away from clicking. I was _really_ hoping that there would be a click-to-toggle movement option by now. Running over gold is a godsend, at least.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    It just means that when you do want to play that game that first week, theres nothing stopping you.

except the missus :P

and the kids

This discussion has been closed.