As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Moebius] and MAYBE GABRIEL KNIGHT 4?! Update on the Jane Jensen [KICKSTARTER]

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    Also considering playing GK1 to find out what the hulabaloo is about. Are we talking Lucas Arts (You can never get permanently stuck or die) or King's Quest (You did the wrong thing in chapter one? Five hours and many quick save/load bullshit deaths later find out that you've permanently fucked your game and have to start over!) in design philosophy?

Well, technically it's a Sierra game but it's not really like King's Quest. Early on, the game won't actually advance if you haven't done everything you were supposed to do (and you can generally still go back and do those things if you missed them). There are a few (and only a few, if I remember correctly) moments where you can die but not really early on in the game while you're just walking around town doing normal things, the death things are in parts of the game that you'll know are dangerous. So not really like King's Quest 5's eat the wrong food item, find out it was the wrong one many hours later.

On the topic of the kickstarter. I really wish I had 500 bucks. An original GK1 sketch is terribly tempting.

• ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    Well, kicked in 100 bucks. I honestly never played anything after the original GK1, and I played it to completion twice. However, it says something about the game when I can remember so much about it 19 years later.

"How much sin do you have to burn?"

Well, about 100 bucks worth, it looks like.

edit: Holy crap, I just went on youtube to double check that line and I actually had it right...

steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2012
    Also considering playing GK1 to find out what the hulabaloo is about. Are we talking Lucas Arts (You can never get permanently stuck or die) or King's Quest (You did the wrong thing in chapter one? Five hours and many quick save/load bullshit deaths later find out that you've permanently fucked your game and have to start over!) in design philosophy?

Well, technically it's a Sierra game but it's not really like King's Quest. Early on, the game won't actually advance if you haven't done everything you were supposed to do (and you can generally still go back and do those things if you missed them). There are a few (and only a few, if I remember correctly) moments where you can die but not really early on in the game while you're just walking around town doing normal things, the death things are in parts of the game that you'll know are dangerous. So not really like King's Quest 5's eat the wrong food item, find out it was the wrong one many hours later.

On the topic of the kickstarter. I really wish I had 500 bucks. An original GK1 sketch is terribly tempting.

In GK1 there are 4 scenes where you can die total in a game that takes ~8 hours to beat if you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

In GK2 there are only 2 scenes where death is possible, and the game is longer than GK1.

In GK3 I am pretty sure that all possible death was whittled down to the final, annoying sequence. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game... but the ending moments were an obvious byproduct of Sierra thinking that tomb-raidery action adventure was the future. And the mechanics didn't mesh well for me.

Jane doesn't write pointless death into her games. She writes some crazy fucking puzzles though (cat hair and syrup mustache disguise for a guy who doesn't even HAVE a mustache for one, or the cuckoo clock door knocker for another).

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Well, kicked in 100 bucks. I honestly never played anything after the original GK1, and I played it to completion twice. However, it says something about the game when I can remember so much about it 19 years later.

"How much sin do you have to burn?"

Well, about 100 bucks worth, it looks like.

edit: Holy crap, I just went on youtube to double check that line and I actually had it right...

"Three women have loved you purely."

I wonder, are those three women Malia, Gran and his mother? Or Grace, Gran and his mom?

I can't help but feel like Malia belongs in the group because she was willing to walk away from it all for him, but if she is in, Grace has to be out because Gran and his Mom HAVE to be the other two.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Logical and well warned dangerous situation deaths à la Broken Sword are fine by me. SOunds like I should play it then. I'll get to it one day...

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Logical and well warned dangerous situation deaths à la Broken Sword are fine by me. SOunds like I should play it then. I'll get to it one day...

always worth saving your game often though.

death can surprise you... in fact, the total dearth of danger in the beginning of the game is an illusion.

I lost an hour or two of game on the first death because I totally, TOTALLY didn't see it coming and had no idea what to do when it happened.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    syndalis wrote: »

death can surprise you... in fact, the total dearth of danger in the beginning of the game is an illusion.

I lost an hour or two of game on the first death because I totally, TOTALLY didn't see it coming and had no idea what to do when it happened.
    Was that with the snake in the voodoo museum?

I'd say a save per in-game day isn't a bad thing to do.

Also, Jane Jensen didn't write that cat hair moustache puzzle, someone on the team did because they ran out of time to do the original puzzle they wanted or somesuch (iirc, I read that in an interview somewhere once). It shows, as the puzzle is nonsensical compared to other, excellent, puzzles in the game (the serpent rouge one, I still love) though oddly enough I don't recall having gotten stuck on the moustache puzzle for too long.

edited April 2012

Also, Jane Jensen didn't write that cat hair moustache puzzle, someone on the team did because they ran out of time to do the original puzzle they wanted or somesuch (iirc, I read that in an interview somewhere once). It shows, as the puzzle is nonsensical compared to other, excellent, puzzles in the game (the serpent rouge one, I still love) though oddly enough I don't recall having gotten stuck on the moustache puzzle for too long.
    yeah, it totally was. They give you lots of advice on how to handle it in the book on snakes at St. George's books, but when you are busy going "oh fuck oh fuck I'm gonna die!!!" you aren't really thinking about turning on the lights / fans the first playthrough

edit: also, did you ever read the REAL "Le Serpent Rouge?" JJ finds some great mysteries to build her games around.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116

yeah, it totally was. They give you lots of advice on how to handle it in the book on snakes at St. George's books, but when you are busy going "oh fuck oh fuck I'm gonna die!!!" you aren't really thinking about turning on the lights / fans the first playthrough

edit: also, did you ever read the REAL "Le Serpent Rouge?" JJ finds some great mysteries to build her games around.
    Yeah, the snake got me too the first time. And that really is the silly thing about it, the game totally clues you in on it if you pay attention but you just get so distracted about the snake wrapped around your neck. There's the snake book, as you said. And I do believe the museum staff/Dr John admonishes you if you flip the switch on any other day as well. But instead you sit there and go "I'm being strangled, aaaaaah, snaaaaake".

I haven't read the serpent rouge, actually. But I did at some point read up on the mystery somewhat and at least the church because I was interested in it. Jane Jensen really does her research and it shows.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    To those who were asking, GK1 is a high point in adventure games.

And there's only one part where you can die, and that's at the final scene.

steam_sig.png
    Vegan wrote: »

No, there are 4.

MAJOR GK1 SPOILERS
    1) Snake in the Voodoo Museum can strangle you to death
    2) Brother Eagle will strangle you to death in the bayou St. John if you don't have a perfect costume
    3) African Zombies can strangle you / rip your heart out / etc. in the Snake Mound
    4) A bunch of different ways to die in the secret Voodoo Hounfour

SW-4158-3990-6116

No, there are 4.

MAJOR GK1 SPOILERS
    2) Brother Eagle will strangle you to death in the bayou St. John if you don't have a perfect costume
    3) African Zombies can strangle you / rip your heart out / etc. in the Snake Mound
    The game sure likes its strangulation.

And damn, now I want to replay the game series. I'm getting all nostalgic.

No, there are 4.

MAJOR GK1 SPOILERS
    The game sure likes its strangulation.

JOIN US!

A bunch of us in the D&D forums have been doing it, and I am up to day 2 of GK3 currently. Such a great series of games.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

GOG can hook you up for not a lot of money.

I've still got all my old discs for all 3 games, but getting the DOS versions GK1 and GK2 to play nice on Win 7 64 is a giant pain in the ass, even using the newest version of DOSBox. So I went ahead and repurchased all of them from GOG.

GK2 still requires a bit of tweaking depending on your resolution and if you want to try the fan-made subtitle patch, but GK1 and GK3 play quite nice.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    JOIN US!

A bunch of us in the D&D forums have been doing it, and I am up to day 2 of GK3 currently. Such a great series of games.

I'm going to have to find that way again to make the whole...
    bit in the snake mound

bearable on a modern computer. My copy of GK1 is still the old sierra classics cd-rom version.

I actually replayed it not that long ago, maybe a year or two, but that was more to help someone else along that I got to play the game and they got stuck in the part spoilered above (I had intended to finish that bit for them and give them the save). I don't recall what I did about that section now. Dosbox, probably. It has been far longer since I've replayed GK2 and 3. Maybe it's time for a marathon session.

edited April 2012

No, there are 4.

MAJOR GK1 SPOILERS

I totally forgot! Just goes to show how reasonable the game is about that sort of thing, that my memory wipes those out. And I only played it a couple of years ago, at most.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    JOIN US!

bit in the snake mound

bearable on a modern computer. My copy of GK1 is still the old sierra classics cd-rom version.

I actually replayed it not that long ago, maybe a year or two, but that was more to help someone else along that I got to play the game and they got stuck in the part spoilered above (I had intended to finish that bit for them and give them the save). I don't recall what I did about that section now. Dosbox, probably. It has been far longer since I've replayed GK2 and 3. Maybe it's time for a marathon session.

I played the GOG copy in DOSBox and it worked great. Of course, they used an ISO file and mounted the CD that way, so no disc was needed. Played better than I ever remembered.

If you want the config file, I have it on hand.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    JOIN US!

bit in the snake mound

I played the GOG copy in DOSBox and it worked great. Of course, they used an ISO file and mounted the CD that way, so no disc was needed. Played better than I ever remembered.

If you want the config file, I have it on hand.

Actually I found an installer that installs it as a Dosbox copy, no CD needed (but uses the CD to get the files, of course). It seems to run fine so far, little slow in places but that might be Dosbox. Thanks for the offer, though! :)

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

No, there are 4.

MAJOR GK1 SPOILERS

I totally forgot! Just goes to show how reasonable the game is about that sort of thing, that my memory wipes those out. And I only played it a couple of years ago, at most.

The very last one gets pretty grisly. Also, Mosley and Grace can die as well. It essentially becomes all bets are off at the end of the game and it gets really elaborate. I was impressed by it. Here is some guy's death compilation:

http://youtu.be/MXQIp6N3IRI

Krathoon on
  • RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular

No, there are 4.

MAJOR GK1 SPOILERS

You're missing one. But the fifth is an easter egg you can't activate unless you know what you're doing:
    When you leave the castle, press and hold space bar. The car will fall off a cliff.

GK1 isn't one of those Sierra games where you can die by picking up a sharp object (saving at the start of every chapter just in case is a good idea, but usually you'll know when things are going dangerous). You also can't screw yourself over by not picking up the right objects in the beginning, like in those old King's Quest games. IMO it has aged very gracefully, mostly because the writing still hasn't been beat.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    edited April 2012
    If anyone wants to see it, that easter egg death is in that video I posted. It is at 3:31.

Krathoon on
    BTW, there's now pictures of the T-shirt design for backers. There's an alternate design coming up.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Jane is hinting at good things to come in the kickstarter comments:

"Yes, good things are happening. I won't be able to talk about it until I am given the go ahead to do so -- could be awhile yet.

Not GK4, guys, not this year. Nevertheless, I think you will all be pleased. I'll tell you more as soon as I am able."

She's been able to secure the rights to GK back? Remakes of GK1-3? Who knows. She's sounded positive about her chances of getting the rights for GK though. All the more reason to hope for this kickstarter to be a success!

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, her husband's music is one of the reasons I keep coming back to the series. It was cool seeing him play the GK1 theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW78q6aNvtw

Music was SOOOOOO good.

Chills, man, fucking CHILLS! I remember seeing that angular box on the shelf at Electronics Boutique back before stores bitched up a storm over shelf space being wasted on those types of packages. I was like 15 at the time. I got chicken pox (that was fun in high school) and my mom bought me two games so I would have something to do other than sit in agony: Myst and Gabriel Knight. She used to watch me play console games all the time, and she LOVES Tim Curry, so she would sit next to me in front of the monitor while I played. That was one of the greatest games I had ever played up to that point. Sadly, GK2 left a sour taste in my mouth. It was a great game, but all the Wagner stuff turned me off (I could care less about classical music and composers), and to this day, a friend of mine LOVES to quote "What's the translation for 'quid pro quo?'" "THERE EEZ NO TRANSLAYSHUN!!!" I never could play through GK3 because it ran like utter shit.

Anyways, I had heard about this Kickstarter previously. I'm not gonna lie, an HD version of something like GK1/GK2 or KQVI would be astounding. But please, no more live action and no more 3D games! The guy who played Gabriel in GK2 just ruined it for me. That and realizing as I played GK2 that I knew Grace was in a late-night Skinemax movie I had seen just... tainted the game. LOL I just remembered the scene in the intro where the guy tells Gabriel the story of his cousin's daughter's death, and after the dude moans her name "Soniiiiiiiii..." It was just so BAD! Great game though.

AAAAAAAANYways... good for JJ to be doing this! When I get paid on Friday, I'll definitely contribute to this (and Shadowrun). I just wish I had the cash to go for the design bibles. Very awesome bonus! I really hope she gets the rights back to GK. I'll never understand companies holding the rights to what are essentially dead properties when their creator actually is willing and able to do something with it.

A tad more than $70,000 to go. I sure hope they reach the goal!

Fawst on
    umm... what was the name of the Skinemax film?

:winky:

Also, I just finished running through GK 1-3 using GOG.com's copies; it works great on modern machines now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    My memory of Gabriel Knight was a very rainy summer at my Gran's. I didn't get the funny box, but I did get a boxed version with the (quite excellent) graphic novel. GK1 was a ride of a lifetime. I had voodoo dreams for two weeks.

GK2 was also excellent, although the video and sound quality was bad and most actors were terrible. I loved the central mystery, in fact I actually travelled to germany and visited all the sites in the game! I still have a photo album full of pictures from that trip. Yep, I was hardcore. :)

GK3 did nothing to me. I played it once and never touched it again.

I play GK1 and 2 through occasionly, and they make me sad. I always thought that these are the future of gaming: mature and smart, equal to movies and books. Then the Playstation boom started and suddenly nobody cared about anything else but the console audience. Luckily the industry has matured since then, but playing GK1 from 1993 makes me always realized it's still dragging behind this series in the quality of writing and maturity. How often do we get games that are about something? Themes the explore without giving away easy and obvious answers, but trust you to think for yourself? How many games explore religious, ethical and philosophical questions without getting heavy-handed about it? How many games have characters who act and talk like real humans, with real human motivations and character growth?

I don't care how pixelated GK1 looks. It will always be my favorite game.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Hey, another reward tier to the kickstarter: a music piece composed for you by Robert Holmes! I wish I could afford this, I love his music.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    More updates! :-)
    The Simple Truths About Our Campaign:

1) This campaign is for a new adventure game from Jane Jensen, the creator behind Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter adventure games (as well as King's Quest VI).

2) Jane and her husband, composer Robert Holmes, are starting a new studio that will be solely focused on story-driven, 3rd person adventure games.

3) The first game we are creating is Moebius! See additional detail below.

4) It is a goal of ours as a studio to be able to eventually work on more Gabriel Knight games. Having a successful first year with Moebius is a great step in that direction.

5) We need your help. Pledge your support and spread the word.

So it's official now! Jane is serious about resurrecting GK! Yay!

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    I loved GK3, personally.

The engine is terrible, and some of the puzzles were less than perfect, but the stories they wove together to create an AMAZING Vampire/Templar/Priory/Mystery School/Kitchen Sink story that was so far beyond the reach most games were willing to go to... all the way down to the rollercoaster ride at the end when the mystery was revealed...

I think my only REAL complaint with the story of GK3 is that with some level of knowledge that Sierra Studios was not healthy and the future of making more games HAD to look bleak towards the end of development, they still moved forward with an ending that demanded a sequel. Which has left fans of the story in the lurch for 14 years now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • shezcraftishezcrafti A girl who doesn't get out much. @shezcraftiRegistered User new member
    edited April 2012
    "It is a goal of ours as a studio to be able to eventually work on more Gabriel Knight games. Having a successful first year with Moebius is a great step in that direction."

Emphasizing the above for any Gabriel Knight fans who are on the fence about supporting Jane Jensen & Pinkerton Road.

shezcrafti on
    I wouldn't have believed there would be a realistic chance of GK4 ever happening, but it looks like it really could become reality some day. It's just been so long since the previous Gabriel Knight that the current generation of gamers wouldn't even know the name. IMO they should start with remakes!

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Raggie wrote: »
    I wouldn't have believed there would be a realistic chance of GK4 ever happening, but it looks like it really could become reality some day. It's just been so long since the previous Gabriel Knight that the current generation of gamers wouldn't even know the name. IMO they should start with remakes!

I've been waiting since I first played and finished GK3. I realize there might be new fans they could get but I really don't want to wait even longer for a remake I, personally, don't actually have all that much interest in. I know, terribly selfish of me :P

They could leave the 4 off the box (though I don't think the numbered the previous games anyway) and make the story accessible enough at the start to rope in new players.

As long as they has all the audio assets at their disposal for the remake of 1, I would love to see it.

Especially if moebius is being designed as an "HD" version of the same style. I would love to see crisp, beautiful hand drawn art driving GK1

SW-4158-3990-6116
    As long as they has all the audio assets at their disposal for the remake of 1, I would love to see it.

Especially if moebius is being designed as an "HD" version of the same style. I would love to see crisp, beautiful hand drawn art driving GK1

Since the original art has been found (from Sierra's dumpster, no less), they'd just need to re-scan the backgrounds!

It would be interesting to see GK2 and GK3 as 2D remakes (with the lost Ludwig chapter added to GK2)!

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    As nice as it would be to see an HD GK1 based off re-scanned sketches, it would still need A LOT of work (coloring being the biggest, but it would probably also call for new programming). I don't know if there's enough of an audience to support that.

But hey, frickin' Broken Sword got a director's cut (two of them!), so who knows.

steam_sig.png
    As nice as it would be to see an HD GK1 based off re-scanned sketches, it would still need A LOT of work

Oh, they have more than sketches. They have the original, full-color background, cut-scene and character portrait art.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Really, GK1 is fine the way it is. They just need to cap off the series with the a new installment. In a perfect world, we would also have a touched up version of GK3. It is kind of annoying how the creators of a series always have to wrestle those rights back. Got forbid a company hands them over on good faith.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Really, GK1 is fine the way it is.

It's fine for us, but I'd love to introduce the game to a new generation of gamers, and most of them wouldn't touch something so old. I've heard some even complaining they can't make out what the graphics are supposed to represent. I guess pixelated graphics take some getting used to.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Raggie wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Really, GK1 is fine the way it is.

It's fine for us, but I'd love to introduce the game to a new generation of gamers, and most of them wouldn't touch something so old. I've heard some even complaining they can't make out what the graphics are supposed to represent. I guess pixelated graphics take some getting used to.

yeah, things like snake tracks in the grass on a pixellated screen? If I wasn't trained in games that looked SO MUCH WORSE than GK1 from Sierra, I don't think my eyes would catch the visual clues of the pixellated art.

SW-4158-3990-6116