As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] 2007: II

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Eagles are shopping Asante Samual. I'd probably give up a first rounder and something else for him.

I'm guessing he can and will be had for a lot less than a 1st. Some guy on ESPN is guessing as low as a 4th or 5th rounder. Seems like he's not as highly regarded as he used to be.

Well, I think part of it is also that the Eagles really don't want his salary hit, with Asoumagha and Rodgers-Cromartie on their lineup as well, at between $8.5M and $9.9M depending on the source. The Eagles also, bizarrely, played a lot of zone and off-man coverages last season, which suited Samuel but did not work well for Asoumagha and Rodgers-Cromartie. Samuel fit well in the traditional Eagles zone-blitzing schemes, but then they made those off-season acquisitions, so this might be an indication that the Eagles are going to swap their defense for a press-man. They could play a combo out there too, I guess, but Castillo's still just in his second year as a defensive coordinator, and Andy Reid is offense-focused, so....

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Eagles are shopping Asante Samual. I'd probably give up a first rounder and something else for him.

I'm guessing he can and will be had for a lot less than a 1st. Some guy on ESPN is guessing as low as a 4th or 5th rounder. Seems like he's not as highly regarded as he used to be.

Well, I think part of it is also that the Eagles really don't want his salary hit, with Asoumagha and Rodgers-Cromartie on their lineup as well, at between $8.5M and $9.9M depending on the source. The Eagles also, bizarrely, played a lot of zone and off-man coverages last season, which suited Samuel but did not work well for Asoumagha and Rodgers-Cromartie. Samuel fit well in the traditional Eagles zone-blitzing schemes, but then they made those off-season acquisitions, so this might be an indication that the Eagles are going to swap their defense for a press-man. They could play a combo out there too, I guess, but Castillo's still just in his second year as a defensive coordinator, and Andy Reid is offense-focused, so....

If he's cool with adjusting his contract, I can see the Patriots trading a 3rd, or maybe a 2nd for him+picks. They have the need and he knows their system. He wouldn't even by the first Patriot in recent years to chase a paycheck for a while, then get welcomed back into the fold when their stock fell.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Madpoet wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

If he's cool with adjusting his contract, I can see the Patriots trading a 3rd, or maybe a 2nd for him+picks. They have the need and he knows their system. He wouldn't even by the first Patriot in recent years to chase a paycheck for a while, then get welcomed back into the fold when their stock fell.

I don't think he'll be coming back - there's been some mutual animosity since he left

e:
    I ain’t never said it, but Belichick, I just felt like he had a thing for me. He had something against me. I have no idea why. He was going to start Troy Brown, a receiver, at nickel [corner] and I’m over here sitting healthy and he don’t want to even play me.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7846290/new-orleans-saints-mickey-loomis-eavesdrop-opposing-coaches-home-games

AND they Spygated!!!

Take another first rounder! Suspend everyone! Super Bowl Title is Officially Asterisked!!!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Oh lawd. Craziness.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    That's hilarious, if true that's far far worse than video taping signals like the Pats. Sucks to be a saints fan right now.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    bahahahahah
    i cant wait for that saints apologist that was here earlier to come in here and defend this

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    "Intentionally injuring people is not as bad as breaking the rules to gain a competitive edge!"

Saints break the rules (and apparently, possibly federal law)..

I'm guessing his response will be something along the lines of "Well there's no evidence they recorded it, that's no competitive advantage"

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Incidentally, the Saints' record from '02 to '04, when they were eavesdropping?

2002: 9-7
    2003: 8-8
    2004: 8-8

I know what you're thinking. "Haha, how much good could it have been doing if their record was so mediocre those years?"

Well, they stopped doing it in '04. Their record in '05?

3-13

vRyue2p.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    this is just NUUUUUUUUUTS

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I know what you're thinking. "Haha, how much good could it have been doing if their record was so mediocre those years?"

3-13

Well you'd want to look at the home record, really.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    '02 4-4
    '03 5-3
    '04 3-5
    '05 1-7
    Home record for them those 4 years.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

3-13

Really?

You're going to hold up their record from 2005, the year they didn't play a single true home game because of that whole Hurricane Katrina thing, as evidence of how no longer eavesdropping hurt them?

Really??

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Well to be fair, the only reason the stopped cheating/committing a felony was because of the hurricane....so it's kinda a wash.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    Ketar wrote: »

3-13

Really?

You're going to hold up their record from 2005, the year they didn't play a single true home game because of that whole Hurricane Katrina thing, as evidence of how no longer eavesdropping hurt them?

Really??

No one's being serious (I think). This whole thing's hysterical though. How many different ways can you be a shitty organization? You do one of most criticized things an organization has done.. and tack on the second most criticized! It's awesome. Make Brees retire as punishment. Burn down the Superdome

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    "Intentionally injuring people is not as bad as breaking the rules to gain a competitive edge!"

I'm guessing his response will be something along the lines of "Well there's no evidence they recorded it, that's no competitive advantage"

I was a bit flabbergasted to watch ESPN yesterday and hear pretty much everyone on the TV (From Polian to Schlereth to the Michelin Man trying to sell me tires) talking about how this didn't really offer much of a competitive advantage. I think one guy tried to point out a way of how it could still have been useful and Polian just repeated his spiel about how a GM couldn't possibly decipher an entire playcall.

Personally, I doubt he was making a huge effort to draw any advantage, so much as just curious and enjoying that he could get away with it. Doesn't matter though, Roger has to throw a large book at this guy. This should be worse than spygate. It's real-time playcall stealing compared to simply documenting hand signals (which can change just as easily as audbile calls) for later use.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    That pissed me off about the ESPN coverage, because they totally missed the point. The Saints appear to have broken the law, whilst potentially trying to gain a competitive advantage. Whether they gained that advantage is irrelevant.

You know, sometimes when you have former professional figures on a program it offers some good insight. Unfortunately, when a scandal of this nature breaks you also often get those same people downplaying the issue to protect their friends who are still in the game. That's what ESPN's coverage felt like...

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Mmm more saints pain.

They haven't resigned Brees yet have they? What if he walked? That would be the best.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    Mmm more saints pain.

They haven't resigned Brees yet have they? What if he walked? That would be the best.

As a Saints supporter, may the fleas of a thousand camels nest in your armpit hair. :-P
    Seriously though, I would be surprised if Mickey Loomis has any kind of NFL career if this is true.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
    edited April 2012
    Bobble wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I was a bit flabbergasted to watch ESPN yesterday and hear pretty much everyone on the TV (From Polian to Schlereth to the Michelin Man trying to sell me tires) talking about how this didn't really offer much of a competitive advantage. I think one guy tried to point out a way of how it could still have been useful and Polian just repeated his spiel about how a GM couldn't possibly decipher an entire playcall.

Personally, I doubt he was making a huge effort to draw any advantage, so much as just curious and enjoying that he could get away with it. Doesn't matter though, Roger has to throw a large book at this guy. This should be worse than spygate. It's real-time playcall stealing compared to simply documenting hand signals (which can change just as easily as audbile calls) for later use.
    pretty much
    there's no way goodell doesn't throw the book at them
    the precedent it would set if he didn't would be ridiculous

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    clownfood wrote: »
    Mmm more saints pain.

As a Saints supporter, may the fleas of a thousand camels nest in your armpit hair. :-P
    Seriously though, I would be surprised if Mickey Loomis has any kind of NFL career if this is true.

For what it's worth, I would personally force Tebow and Brees to swap teams.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Mmm more saints pain.

You think he will sit out an entire year? Or that during that year they can't find a satisfactory salary? Unlikely doesn't begin to describe it.

I guess we will see with the latest scandal. Loomis is evidently taking legal action over the accusation for whatever that is worth. If I were guilty of violating federal law I might try the same though. Still, didn't really seem to change anything for em (7-9 in 2001 in probably a tougher division). Seems awful convenient that all the evidence would have been destroyed, and that Loomis didn't redo the wiring after not getting caught. The truth will get out eventually. If true it should be the end of Loomis' career. I'd say go after Haslet as well, but I guess punishing the teams that hire him by forcing them to listen to his decisions is bad enough.

Gnizmo wrote: »
    Mmm more saints pain.

You think he will sit out an entire year? Or that during that year they can't find a satisfactory salary? Unlikely doesn't begin to describe it.

I guess we will see with the latest scandal. Loomis is evidently taking legal action over the accusation for whatever that is worth. If I were guilty of violating federal law I might try the same though. Still, didn't really seem to change anything for em (7-9 in 2001 in probably a tougher division). Seems awful convenient that all the evidence would have been destroyed, and that Loomis didn't redo the wiring after not getting caught. The truth will get out eventually. If true it should be the end of Loomis' career. I'd say go after Haslet as well, but I guess punishing the teams that hire him by forcing them to listen to his decisions is bad enough.

Hadn't considered that he'd have to sit out, but you're right. Still, with this on top of talks of punishing players for the bounty programs, gonna be a hard team to be around.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    clownfood wrote: »
    Mmm more saints pain.

For what it's worth, I would personally force Tebow and Brees to swap teams.

we don't need to add to sanchez's depression and self esteem issues

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Mmm more saints pain.

Hadn't considered that he'd have to sit out, but you're right. Still, with this on top of talks of punishing players for the bounty programs, gonna be a hard team to be around.

Saints have signed a lot of good defensive free agents this year. Makes sense when you think about it. There is about to be a lot of room to make a name for yourself within the organization. Threat of a weak defense also gives substantial leverage when negotiating the contract.

I think brees would sit the year, with Payton out and after the situation he went through in San Diego when he signed a one year tender I don think h wants to play that game again. I don't think the saints would want him to sit the year though. They will budge before he does.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    It was fun cheering for the Lions this season.....while it lasted....

The Madden Curse is dumb and you should feel bad for believing in it.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Sports fans don't need things like logic or rationality.

Sports fans need curses and good luck charms

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    So, I hear there's some sort of draft going on tonight. Of various top college talent to professional football teams.

Very curious what position the Broncos end up going for, I know a lot of mocks have them going for a DT, either Dontari Poe or Jerel Worthy.

The other fun thing to try and figure out is who the biggest, fastest physical freak with crazy attitude problems the Raiders will pick in Al Davis tradition.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So help me god if the vikings take Claiborne and the browns take Richardson and the Bucs get stuck with nothing I will rage. I will rage so hard that generations to come will fear the legend of the raging sports fan.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So help me god if the vikings take Claiborne and the browns take Richardson and the Bucs get stuck with nothing I will rage. I will rage so hard that generations to come will fear the legend of the raging sports fan.

Well, its all up to the vikings then. Really hope the bucs can do something about the worst defense they've ever had.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    I was seeing Lions trading up to get Mark Barron rumors in the local press.

YES PLEASE

edited April 2012
    I always root against the redskins, but RG3 is awesome enough to make me conflicted.

Edit: BUCS ON THE CLOCK GOOOOOOOOOO

Edit 2: This is the worst coverage of any draft of any sport ever. Try to keep up with the picks, photo-op guys.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Dolphins commit franchise suicide.

edited April 2012

That bad of a QB, huh?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular

That bad of a QB, huh?

only played 19 games at QB. But the analysts are right...they have the coaching staff in place to mold him into something pretty good.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah they do.

I am hoping Tannehill does well, I liked him in college...I'm admittedly an Aggie though. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    And the Seahawks have lit Mel Kiper's hair on fire by taking Bruce Irvin, who was supposed to go mid-2nd round but in fact went 15th.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    We took a safety in the top 10 . I am kind of sad . Wanted Claiborne.

This discussion has been closed.