As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Buraisu wrote: »
    We should be Wuvwuving together; the guild with the most participating members will have the option of claiming the towers, keeps, and the castle. It will also display our Guild Banner and any upgrades we have under Art of War. :D

Thus, some organization is required.

This already exists with the Tactician stuff; the purchasable item that lets you form squads etc.

If anything, you want the leader of a guild to be level-headed to help all the people out. You want your tactician to be a ruthless bastard that understands things words like maneuver, flanking, battle ready magic powered suit of stone, charr. You know, important shit.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Guild leaders should be manager types. Keep the roster in order, solve disputes, etc. They dont have to lead WuvWuv groups, though they can.

I simply do not have the time for something like that, plus split interests (being in multiple guilds) will definatly keep me out of it even if I had the time.

• EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    The ability to be in multiple guilds is seriously the best thing.

fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I will not abide somebody yelling at me about 50 DKP minus.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Erics wrote: »

Might actually be a pain in the ass, with people flipping guild tags when it's convienent. Personally, I'd rather have a smaller guild, loyal to one banner than a bunch of flippers.

But then again, the group I'm part of will probably be 100+ to start. Maybe it's more of a benefit to those people who only have a few friends they play with.

If I have multiple groups of friends I'm playing a game with being able to be in multiple guilds and changing representation depending on which group I'm playing with is really good. If the game didn't explicitly support that I'd still play with other people and "flip", so I don't see what the net negative effect is.

Play mostly with your friends, then when you need some of the bigger guild bonuses, you "flip" to the other guild, take advantage of the buffs, then "flip" back.

Could lead to a situation where one group of players is earning all the influence for the guild, and then others are leaching off that when convienent.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

Might actually be a pain in the ass, with people flipping guild tags when it's convienent. Personally, I'd rather have a smaller guild, loyal to one banner than a bunch of flippers.

But then again, the group I'm part of will probably be 100+ to start. Maybe it's more of a benefit to those people who only have a few friends they play with.

It's a huge benefit to me as my Wife is really looking for a different experience out of the game than I am. This allows me to join a guild with her and still be able to be in "We are Nice Guys" with no problems. This makes me quite happy. I can easily split my time between the two with no issues.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Influence earning is definitely not my goal for my character.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Play mostly with your friends, then when you need some of the bigger guild bonuses, you "flip" to the other guild, take advantage of the buffs, then "flip" back.

Could lead to a situation where one group of players is earning all the influence for the guild, and then others are leaching off that when convienent.

Hmm. Could be, but I'd still think that if you were "flipping" to the big guild for glory bonuses when pvping, for instance, you'd be feeding a good bit back into the guild you were under. A big guild will need some core players to grind under it all the time, but since it isn't a zero-sum system, the "larger" guild isn't suffering from a free rider problem when people temporarily tag under it. In fact, it's seeing a slight benefit, in a slightly larger growth rate from part-time participants that it might otherwise not have.

What is this I don't even.
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I like that the release date for this game isn't the usual snarky "soon" or even "when it's done."

It's, "Depends on how the beta goes, but definitely sometime this year. CHARR."

ArenaNet's transparency throughout this development process is unprecedented and so refreshing.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    I'll be interested to see how the social aspects of it work, and how people stay "connected" to the guilds they're part of, but not representing. I could easily see the PA guild getting into a situation where the roster has a ton of people on it, but everyone is "playing with their friends, until something is going on in the PA guild", but because nothing's ever going on, nothing ever goes on.

It's like going to a party in college, where no one wants to show up until there's already people there. But there won't be any people there, if no one shows up...

Anyway, not trying to start an argument, but I don't necessarily consider "multi-guilding" the best thing ever. To me, it seems a bit like, "if my real friends are doing anything, I'll hang with you guys" kind of thing.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

It's a huge benefit to me as my Wife is really looking for a different experience out of the game than I am. This allows me to join a guild with her and still be able to be in "We are Nice Guys" with no problems. This makes me quite happy. I can easily split my time between the two with no issues.

WHAT A NICE GUILD, 50 DKP MINUS.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll be interested to see how the social aspects of it work, and how people stay "connected" to the guilds they're part of, but not representing. I could easily see the PA guild getting into a situation where the roster has a ton of people on it, but everyone is "playing with their friends, until something is going on in the PA guild", but because nothing's ever going on, nothing ever goes on.

It's like going to a party in college, where no one wants to show up until there's already people there. But there won't be any people there, if no one shows up...

Anyway, not trying to start an argument, but I don't necessarily consider "multi-guilding" the best thing ever. To me, it seems a bit like, "if my real friends are doing anything, I'll hang with you guys" kind of thing.

That's why I'm bringing my real life friends to the PA guild.

Seems like a pretty easy fix and a win-win to me.

DemonStacey on
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Same, most of em already post here. The few that don't will start posting prior to joining.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    being able to be in multiple guilds + guilds having their own storage that you can buy with Influence + Influence being purchaseable with in game gold = limitless storage potential?

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    being able to be in multiple guilds + guilds having their own storage that you can buy with Influence + Influence being purchaseable with in game gold = limitless storage potential?

I never got the idea of limiting storage for players, other than to create an upgrade storage gold sink. If people want to hoard icons, so be it. It's not like the old days of UO where those items actually exited in the physical world at all times, thus leading to massive server clutter.

Oh, and where's the sign up for the guild? I must have missed it since you guys are taking headcounts. I checked the OP, and all I see is that awesome info about the Teamspeak for the weekend. Very excited guys, thanks for getting that going!

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I will probably stick to PA guild with friends that I bring along. I wish I could be a lead type but I work every day during week until 9pm so my play time is liited to weekends and early mornings. I wouldn't mind being an officer or applying to be one however we figure out how that's gonna work.

What professions are everyone thinking of going? I'm most likely going a tank class like Guardian.

Is there a way to get prepurchaser sign up sheet in original post?

Indeed. We're going to try to encourage our membership to actively get their friends to join the guild, versus having a bunch of people try to juggle a bunch of smaller guilds.

I mean, why wouldn't you want to join up with a bunch of really cool people?

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »

WHAT A NICE GUILD, 50 DKP MINUS.

Add it to my tab.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Are you guys all rolling on the same shard/world/server? I want to play with you.

we're planning to! i don't think we know what the server choices are yet, though

Okay, cool. I don't know what the servers are, either. I'm not sure if we're posting the list ahead of time or not... I'll find out.

This makes me so happy!

WaM: Just make sure they put in a server called Yak's Bend... and that's where we will go!

Also... that account.guildwars2 page... should it be possible for me to put in the name and password that I registered with and have it do something? Because it tells me that I have an invalid login....

I was able to log in and it displayed my username.xxxx (username with numbers) in the upper left corner but nothing else really.

Anyone know how we can get a prepurchaser list started? Same thing as the google docs one for voicecomm?

This is to enter data

This is to view the info

Edit: I got smart and made a form this time.

Heres the "sign up list" again for those that wanted to look or add their name. Really its more of a way to get an idea of how many people are going to be in for this BWE.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I just saw huggles username for gw2.

shit is so money.

Thanks, Geod!

Wow, what an impressive list just for beta. This guild is going to be huge.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Less than 4 days until GW2.

Is this really happening?!

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    this weekend is going to be the deadest that gw1 has been in seven years

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular

Makes me sad :( But happy. At least I'll get a birthday present to sell!

It's not like switching your active guild prevents you from interacting with your other guilds. If a bunch of people from one guild is online then you can gather up and play together. I don't think this system is going to change much, it only explicitly supports something that people likely did anyway.

Anything that encourages MORE social behavior in an MMO is a positive.

And by change much I meant in a negative way. It's going to make a lot of positive changes.

Sarksus wrote: »
    And by change much I meant in a negative way. It's going to make a lot of positive changes.

Yup, I was agreeing with you. You nailed it.

Yeah I just noticed that what I said was somewhat ambiguous.

Right on. The internet is laced with arguments, so I like to cement my positivism in stone. This thread is my haven for wuvwuv good happy fun times extravaganza.

edited April 2012
    Minor blog post about ANet's stuff on FB/Twitter/Pinterest: http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-on-the-social-media-front-4

(Super high-res 3607x4249 of this artwork available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/7092056785/sizes/l/in/photostream/)
    EirSwimming-600x707-509x600.jpg

Arthil wrote: »
    Here's a nice article I just spotted on their facebook.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-23-guild-wars-2-the-inside-stories

Nice! And another/related eurogamer article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-23-guild-wars-2-developer-has-plans-for-literally-years-to-come
    "We today know a number of the high-level features that we're going to do, and expansion content for years to come," said Price. "No, it's not drilled down in a way that is - it's all at the five-thousand foot level and above, from a big picture [perspective]. But every month we go through time, we get closer and it gets down and, OK, now we're actually creating content for it."

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    They've really hit a home run with keeping the art style feel fluid through all Guild Wars media. When you see the art, load screen, or a screenshot - you know where it's from.

I don't think I've seen an MMO do this as successfully since WoW launched. That was the same way.

edited April 2012
    Another article today, this time from Forbes: ArenaNet Founder Mike O'Brien Will Be Satisfied When Guild Wars 2 Is The Most Successful MMO, Period
    “We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO. I think we have something unique here and players are going to see it and understand why dynamic events are a way better content model than people have experienced before in online worlds. Word-of-mouth will get people to understand that we really are doing something new and different. The sky’s the limit once this game is out. Online worlds have a networking effect. People will bring friends to Guild Wars 2. We hope all the people who play the beta weekend will tell their friends about it.”
    O’Brien said ArenaNet and NCsoft are in this for the long run with Guild Wars 2. The team already has exciting new content that’s in the works for expanding the new game world, although he’s keeping mum on details right now.

Important to note he is not talking about being a "WoW-killer", as such, but simply being more popular than WoW.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Oh, and that fireball sound in Guild Wars 2? That's the sound of a one-foot diameter ball of Kevlar rope wrapped in chicken wire, dipped in kerosene and gasoline and then swung around lead sound designer Drew Cady's head one night in Drew Cady's garden. "It was this huge, big, fireball and it sounded like a jet flying by. It was amazing," recalls Ackley. "It was really cool."

edited April 2012
    Enig wrote: »
    Minor blog post about ANet's stuff on FB/Twitter/Pinterest: http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-on-the-social-media-front-4

(Super high-res 3607x4249 of this artwork available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/7092056785/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Hello new iPad wallpaper.

Sarksus on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular

Ill be logging on gw1 for sure during the beta event for the b-day event. Whenever i'm ready for a short break.

Enig wrote: »
    Another article today, this time from Forbes: ArenaNet Founder Mike O'Brien Will Be Satisfied When Guild Wars 2 Is The Most Successful MMO, Period
    “We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO. I think we have something unique here and players are going to see it and understand why dynamic events are a way better content model than people have experienced before in online worlds. Word-of-mouth will get people to understand that we really are doing something new and different. The sky’s the limit once this game is out. Online worlds have a networking effect. People will bring friends to Guild Wars 2. We hope all the people who play the beta weekend will tell their friends about it.”
    O’Brien said ArenaNet and NCsoft are in this for the long run with Guild Wars 2. The team already has exciting new content that’s in the works for expanding the new game world, although he’s keeping mum on details right now.

Important to note he is not talking about being a "WoW-killer", as such, but simply being more popular than WoW.

gfrOs.jpg

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hewn that made me choke on my soda

Well played

This discussion has been closed.