As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Thread About Movies

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I know those origins, but they aren't working for the organization in CITW's keeping the Elder Gods from destroying the universe. Their expy's are only employees created to keep the Elder Gods away.

So you want an origin of the
    facility workers?
    Kinda. More about the factory's origin itself. How it got started. That might be an interesting film to watch.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Because then people who haven't seen it could have fun in this thread talking about any other film!

In other news, if anyone with Netflix is looking for some fun stuff to stream, I just watched Withnail & I the other day and that was pretty great.

yeah I enjoyed that one.

like many movies it was a while ago that I watched it :(. I should check it out again. my fucking attention span died in the last few years I swear

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    I know those origins, but they aren't working for the organization in CITW's keeping the Elder Gods from destroying the universe. Their expy's are only employees created to keep the Elder Gods away.

facility workers?
    Kinda. More about the factory's origin itself. How it got started. That might be an interesting film to watch.

It's all implied.
    There used to be people tossed into volcanoes, things changed over the years, now it's a bureaucracy like everything else. It came to be like any other institution does.
    But a
    B.P.R.D. movie would kinda belie one of the film's main points that things aren't original anymore.

facility workers?

It's all implied.
    There used to be people tossed into volcanoes, things changed over the years, now it's a bureaucracy like everything else. It came to be like any other institution does.
    But a
    B.P.R.D. movie would kinda belie one of the film's main points that things aren't original anymore.

Okay. Now you reminded me we need a third Hellboy film. A BPRD spin-off is acceptable, as well.

Astaereth wrote: »
    Is the second Hellboy film worth watching? Because the first one is terrible, and not just compared to the comics.

Yes. You might not like it if you didn't enjoy the first movie.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Is the second Hellboy film worth watching? Because the first one is terrible, and not just compared to the comics.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I loved the first Hellboy film, so I suppose I can't help you there.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

No. The first one is terribly mediocre at best, the second one is no better.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I found the first one barely tolerable but the second one was a little more fun to watch. There's lots of pretty stuff in it and I think there may have been more cats, although I can't remember. There are hundreds upon hundreds of better movies though. I mean there are probably dozens of better movies with Ron Perlman in them.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Inception has almost as many plot holes as the newest Star Trek movie but that doesn't mean it's not fantastic. I'm not sure about your point, though: the totem would at least tell you whether you're in someone else's dream, so we should at least accept it as useful for that purpose.
    I'd love to hear some.

Cause every person who has made this claim has had a pretty terrible definition of "plot hole".

Quire.jpg
    Cause every person who has made this claim has had a pretty terrible definition of "plot hole".

Heck, even the new Star Trek doesn't really have plot holes. It's just lazily written.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

Heck, even the new Star Trek doesn't really have plot holes. It's just lazily written.

What do you mean by lazily written?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Inception has almost as many plot holes as the newest Star Trek movie but that doesn't mean it's not fantastic. I'm not sure about your point, though: the totem would at least tell you whether you're in someone else's dream, so we should at least accept it as useful for that purpose.
    I'd love to hear some.

Why can't Cobb's kids come live with him in Europe? And if red matter creates black holes, why do they need to drill into the Earth to use it? A black hole on the surface will fuck it up just as much.

edited April 2012

Things like
    Kirk happening to be stranded on the same monster-filled planet that Spock exiled himself to.
    Then having
    the only other dude on the planet be Scotty who is working on his beaming prowess.
    Generally coincidences (instead of a character using volition) are considered lazy, even if you have another character say, "The universe is trying to correct itself!" to explain it.

Orci and Kurtzman are not good writers.

Mad King George on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I watched The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus yesterday evening, and can I just say that Terry Gilliam is his own worst enemy as a film maker? The guy is full of ideas, but his films' frequent lack of structure and discipline mean that so much of them comes across as meaningless noise. He doesn't give his ideas any space to breathe, to cohere. There's a wealth of (visual) imagination in Dr Parnassus, but it suffocates under its own weight, and there's something almost desperate about the film: Didn't like this idea? Here are ten more, each as half-baked as the other.

Which is quite sad, really; there's a lot to admire in Gilliam's work, but in many of his films it all blends together into a loud, garish mess, like a dozen clowns honking their horns right next to your ears.

And I'm saying this as someone who loves Brazil and 12 Monkeys. (The latter may fare better because 1) it's not Gilliam's script and 2) madness is one of the film's themes, so when things go crazee, it supports the film to some extent.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Things like
    Kirk happening to be stranded on the same monster-filled planet that Spock exiled himself to.
    Spock didn't exile himself there - he was left there by Nero to watch Vulkan die. Sure, it was a mighty coincidence that Kirk happened to land there too and Scotty was also on the planet. But Spock was planted there by Nero.

TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Things like
    Spock didn't exile himself there - he was left there by Nero to watch Vulkan die. Sure, it was a mighty coincidence that Kirk happened to land there too and Scotty was also on the planet. But Spock was planted there by Nero.

Okay. I haven't seen it since it came out. It was fun for a Star Trek movie, but there's the caveat.

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I watched The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus yesterday evening, and can I just say that Terry Gilliam is his own worst enemy as a film maker? The guy is full of ideas, but his films' frequent lack of structure and discipline mean that so much of them comes across as meaningless noise. He doesn't give his ideas any space to breathe, to cohere. There's a wealth of (visual) imagination in Dr Parnassus, but it suffocates under its own weight, and there's something almost desperate about the film: Didn't like this idea? Here are ten more, each as half-baked as the other.

Which is quite sad, really; there's a lot to admire in Gilliam's work, but in many of his films it all blends together into a loud, garish mess, like a dozen clowns honking their horns right next to your ears.

And I'm saying this as someone who loves Brazil and 12 Monkeys. (The latter may fare better because 1) it's not Gilliam's script and 2) madness is one of the film's themes, so when things go crazee, it supports the film to some extent.)

I could not agree with this more. Gillium can't seem to stay out of his own way as a director... it's like his brain has absolutely no filter.

Also, saw Cabin in the Woods this weekend... hello new favorite "horror" movie ever. That thing was brilliant.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Things like

also that
    they were within walking distance of each other. I mean, if being on the same planet is a big coincidence, being within like 20 miles of each other is even crazier.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sentry wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

I could not agree with this more. Gillium can't seem to stay out of his own way as a director... it's like his brain has absolutely no filter.

As well as all that, much of my disdain comes from simply listening to the man talk about himself and his work. Smug doesn't even begin to cover it.

And god, his weird manner of speech just makes me want to tear my ears off.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Things like
    Then having
    the only other dude on the planet be Scotty who is working on his beaming prowess.
    Generally coincidences (instead of a character using volition) are considered lazy, even if you have another character say, "The universe is trying to correct itself!" to explain it.

I don't see any of that as lazy writing. We're already set up to believe that it's an alternate universe, or something has changed, and to me it works well if you look at it from the viewpoint that this is the universe fixing itself.

Like, all of these things have to happen in order for it to be star trek, otherwise Kirk gets released from Starfleet in three weeks when a supply ship stops on the Ice Planet and Scotty dies alone.

Also yeah, the Romulans probably conquer the galaxy.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Cabin in the Woods:
    There could easily be sequels. I am not saying whether or not they'd be any good. The facility guys didn't say that the painful deaths of everyone would be instant, just that it would happen. Even the Reapers would need years to fully harvest Earth.

The kids could survive (along with Amy Acker, we only see her snake-grabbed, not killed; she would be essential for exposition), and start some sort of ritual to put the old gods to sleep again (presumably this ritual would involve fantasy tropes).

Or it might be that not all of the old gods are as entirely omnicidally evil as the facility guys said. The one that climbs out from the American facility might have other concerns (killing the other old gods, maybe?).

There are plenty of things they could do, but all of them would be very easy to mishandle and do badly.

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    I found the first one barely tolerable but the second one was a little more fun to watch. There's lots of pretty stuff in it and I think there may have been more cats, although I can't remember. There are hundreds upon hundreds of better movies though. I mean there are probably dozens of better movies with Ron Perlman in them.

Hellboy II is fantastic, and an enormous improvement over the first.

It deserves a better write-up than I have time to offer, but the sheer texture of the movie is something to behold. The movie pops with color and grit, and nearly its entire running time is filled with bizarre practical creatures and some very inventive uses of CGI (the blood of the forest God spreading fecundity to all it touches comes to mind).

This is a movie that loves monsters, good or evil. It celebrates them both in their physical realization and their emotional complexity (relative to the standards of most comic book films). And it has copious Jeffrey Tamboor.

This is a movie that never commits the sin of taking itself too seriously while still giving us a world and characters worth caring about. It's by far not the worst two hours you can spend with Ron Perlman.

edited April 2012
    Edd wrote: »
    It's by far not the worst two hours you can spend with Ron Perlman.

That would be Alien: Ressurection. But yeah, Hellboy II was gorgeous, and actually a fun movie.

There were some serious plot problems near the end, but that didn't detract from the lush design and fantastic practical effects.

Dracomicron on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    While the plot to Hellboy 2 was predictable
    How the sister dies at the end to ensure her evil brother dies was seen from miles away.

I still loved the movie, beautiful, great monster designs, everything about the Troll Market was fantastic. And I really liked the fight scenes, the bad guys weapon, the spear/sword thing was cool.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    A black hole on the surface will fuck it up just as much.

Surface area. Takes longer.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Things like
    Then having

I don't see any of that as lazy writing. We're already set up to believe that it's an alternate universe, or something has changed, and to me it works well if you look at it from the viewpoint that this is the universe fixing itself.

Like, all of these things have to happen in order for it to be star trek, otherwise Kirk gets released from Starfleet in three weeks when a supply ship stops on the Ice Planet and Scotty dies alone.

that's worse then "a wizard did it".
    Actually "A wizard did it" would have been a ton better in this trek re-birth, just end it with old Spock talking to a hooded vulcan, then pan the camera to reveal a grinning John de Lancie.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

That would be Alien: Ressurection. But yeah, Hellboy II was gorgeous, and actually a fun movie.

That might be true for some of the other actors in Alien 4, but Perlman makes Ben Kingsley look picky.

EDIT: Both Perlman and Kingsley have done an Uwe Boll movie, now that I think of it. I've only seen one of them, so I'm not sure who was in the worst one.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Perlman had way more fun than Kingsley.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Things like

My opinion of that:
    Young Spock left Kirk there becuase it was the closest inhabitable world to where they were, the scene of the destruction of Vulcan. That also happened to be where old Spock was left, by Nero so he could watch his planet die. The coincidence happens because there's a whole friggin' planet to choose landing sites from, and they are in the same vicinity. Also Scotty.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Grislo wrote: »

That might be true for some of the other actors in Alien 4, but Perlman makes Ben Kingsley look picky.

EDIT: Both Perlman and Kingsley have done an Uwe Boll movie, now that I think of it. I've only seen one of them, so I'm not sure who was in the worst one.

Bloodrayne is terrible, but it's actually a fun movie if you're drunk. Alien: Ressurection provokes heavy drinking to cope. That's the difference.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The biggest plot hole in the new Star Trek is:
    The bad guy is mad because his whole planet blew up, right? So he attacks the people who tried to save it. With a time machine. That he could have used to go back in time and save his planet. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Even if you go, "Well, he's... he's just crazy" that is weaksauce villain writing.

One of the plot holes in Inception:
    Cobb has been to Limbo before, and still remembers his time there, including how he got out (suicide). So why does he tell his team, "If you die on any one of the levels, you'll wake up. Except Limbo. Shit be crazy down there, there's no way out, don't get caught in here"?

ACsTqqK.jpg
    One of the plot holes in Inception:
    Cobb has been to Limbo before, and still remembers his time there, including how he got out (suicide). So why does he tell his team, "If you die on any one of the levels, you'll wake up. Except Limbo. Shit be crazy down there, there's no way out, don't get caught in here"?

I got the impression that
    you don't know you're in limbo when you're down there, at least not at first, and it's easy to get lost again. It's not that there's no way out, it's that time is so dilated that you lose track of yourself.

And technically that's not how Limbo works. You go there if you use the dream machine in the third level, or if you die while sedated.

Things like
    Then having

Orci and Kurtzman are terrible writers.

DanHibiki wrote: »

Things like
    Then having

that's worse then "a wizard did it".
    Actually "A wizard did it" would have been a ton better in this trek re-birth, just end it with old Spock talking to a hooded vulcan, then pan the camera to reveal a grinning John de Lancie.

This guy gets it.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Because then people who haven't seen it could have fun in this thread talking about any other film!

In other news, if anyone with Netflix is looking for some fun stuff to stream, I just watched Withnail & I the other day and that was pretty great.

Withnail & I is one of my favorites, but it's not something you'd want to watch very often. Withnail's closing monologue makes me weep like a baby.

Edit: Also, I'm not the biggest fan of Hellboy 1, but Hellboy 2 is an enormous amount of fun. It's all action, monsters, and beautiful visual references to fantasy artists. It's for a very specific kind of moviegoer, though. If you're prone to flights of "oh man look at that!" then Hellboy 2 is your movie.

BloodySloth on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The bad guy is mad because his whole planet blew up, right? So he attacks the people who tried to save it. With a time machine. That he could have used to go back in time and save his planet. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Even if you go, "Well, he's... he's just crazy" that is weaksauce villain writing.

Nope.
    Nero didn't have control over his time travel; the "time machine" was him getting sucked into the red matter black hole*. Remember he got sucked in a few seconds before Spock, it tossed him back to Kirk's dad's time. He had to wait 20 years or something for Spock to appear. During that 20 years, he didn't have any red matter, so he couldn't have tried to time travel again even if he wanted to. Once he had the red matter, it was still an extremely imprecise method of time travel - who knows how he would control what time he got sent to, particularly since they were in a different timeline at that point.

*since this happens to him again at the end, Nero is potentially still raging around at some point in the timeline.

KalTorak on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Nope.
    Nero didn't have control over his time travel; the "time machine" was him getting sucked into the red matter black hole*. Remember he got sucked in a few seconds before Spock, it tossed him back to Kirk's dad's time. He had to wait 20 years or something for Spock to appear. During that 20 years, he didn't have any red matter, so he couldn't have tried to time travel again even if he wanted to. Once he had the red matter, it was still an extremely imprecise method of time travel - who knows how he would control what time he got sent to, particularly since they were in a different timeline at that point.

*since this happens to him again at the end, Nero is potentially still raging around at some point in the timeline.
    Didn't they blow up the mining ship at the end, as it's getting sucked into the black hole? That's why they spent so long hanging around it and almost got stuck themselves.

Carpy wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Nope.

Didn't they blow up the mining ship at the end, as it's getting sucked into the black hole? That's why they spent so long hanging around it and almost got stuck themselves.

oh yeah...
    plus they did the whole "blow up the cores to push us out of the black hole" thing; that probably finished the job pretty well. Eh, there's enough magic-science flying around in that sequence that if they really wanted to bring Nero back (don't see why they would, cool as he was) then they could.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'd love to hear some.

Why can't Cobb's kids come live with him in Europe? And if red matter creates black holes, why do they need to drill into the Earth to use it? A black hole on the surface will fuck it up just as much.

I just meant inception not star trek.

Cobb's kids can't come with him to Europe because he is a fucking criminal on the run. Does that seem a good idea?

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.