As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Suckafish wrote: »
    Prime wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    It just means that when you do want to play that game that first week, theres nothing stopping you.

except the missus :P

and the kids

why are you trying to play Diablo in the kitchen/child cage

i'll show myself out

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It seems like what generates the most clicks for me isn't combat but chests/dead villagers/environment stuff. Or maybe I just notice those more.

Well, as a monk you don't get away from clicking. I was _really_ hoping that there would be a click-to-toggle movement option by now. Running over gold is a godsend, at least.

Hold the button down? Which you can do with all skills as well. You don't need to click on every monster in the game.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Skab wrote: »

Nice! I wasn't aware that the PC Witch Doctor was a rebel. I should read up on their lore.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Dammit. I read the thread title as saying that the Open Beta was ending May 1st.

So I stalled on doing the last fight on my first play through until today.

Guess that's not happening now...

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Okay so

I know this is silly but not attacking with the weapon bugged the living heck out of me.

Like... like... they just hang there, totems without any real relation to my splatting of demons. I sort of would rather they just straight up never appear if I'm never going to use them. Particularly because at least for Monk and Witch Doctor, you basic skill costs 0 mana and will always outdamage a basic weapon attack. It's visually unpleasant to see my Monk holding a club and hatchet while running, but not while fighting.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Okay so

I know this is silly but not attacking with the weapon bugged the living heck out of me.

Like... like... they just hang there, totems without any real relation to my splatting of demons. I sort of would rather they just straight up never appear if I'm never going to use them. Particularly because at least for Monk and Witch Doctor, you basic skill costs 0 mana and will always outdamage a basic weapon attack. It's visually unpleasant to see my Monk holding a club and hatchet while running, but not while fighting.

Totally agree. It felt so stupid. Why can't I just find better darts, poison, or jars of spiders as I play the WD?

Magic Pink wrote: »
    Okay so

Totally agree. It felt so stupid. Why can't I just find better darts, poison, or jars of spiders as I play the WD?

Yes! I would have killed for the Witch Doctor to just find the same dang stat +'s, but with spider/dart/blowgun/fucking... chalk? whatever designs. Like I'd rather see each person have unique character-based weapons with a couple unique looks than have a WD lugging around a big honking sword... only to toss spiders. It messes the visuals something fierce.

That said, this reminded me I totally love ARPGs.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree. I have been in the closed beta for a while, and I really like a lot of the things they've done, but it's still a bit of a disconnect for weapon DPS to be such a large part of skill damage, when the skill is "shooting lighting" or "throwing spiders". I understand completely why they did it, but it's still weird that the best option for my wizard was a 2h sword because I couldn't find a wand/staff that had nearly as much dps.

That being said, I think a lot of that will take care of itself in later acts as I believe stats on weapons will be focused a bit towards their "intended" class. So wands and staves will have +int, fist weapons will have +dex, 2h swords +str, etc, so even if the weapon base DPS is lower, the +stat will make your skills better while wielding a more appropriate weapon.

edited April 2012
    That's decent then, yeah. I mean it's obviously a holdover from when they were straight up going to be doing autoattack + skills rather than primary skills + secondary skills, but it's a weird one to leave in.

Edit: Also this has kind of made me want to get in on the Grim Dawn kickstarter. I forgot how fun I find these games.

durandal4532 on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    This wrote: »
    So as a sign of how problematic it might be for my life if I actually buy this game, I have assembled a full set of rare +xp/+magicfind items.

I've done it, several times over, except not all rares because you can find/craft higher magic find numbers on blues most of the time. A few patches ago I got my MF Wizard up to around 125% MF :D (without shrine)

Rares are kinda crappy, for the most part, in beta.

Yeah except you can equip the rares at level 1-4 and the idea was to be able to deck out a new class with +xp as soon as possible.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    But you gotta rush to get those items up on the AH for some extra $$$

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Couple guys at work are taking a week off from work... One is even taking two weeks. I envy them.

That...is ridiculous. As much as I love video games and Diablo, I refuse to take anymore than a day (two max) off to play any video game.

One day? Yeah okay, understandable if you're excited.

Two days? That's pushing it.

A whole week? You must really dislike your job or have a serious problem.

Or maybe neither! Maybe some people just like having the option to play with their friends unfettered while still having the ability to do other things. I think you haven't really thought this through.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    2 weeks seems excessive unless... you find the game really awesome and that's the vacation you want to take for the year. then it's reasonable!

It's not like you're faking being sick to play a game, it's your vacation time. and a $60 vacation for 2 weeks is a lot more manageable for a lot more people than using the time to actually go on a trip. and possibly more rewarding depending on the person.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    2 weeks seems excessive unless... you find the game really awesome and that's the vacation you want to take for the year. then it's reasonable!

It's not like you're faking being sick to play a game, it's your vacation time. and a $60 vacation for 2 weeks is a lot more manageable for a lot more people than using the time to actually go on a trip. and possibly more rewarding depending on the person.

Yep. It's almost like judging people based on how they spend their free time and earned vacation days is rather silly!

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    It seems like what generates the most clicks for me isn't combat but chests/dead villagers/environment stuff. Or maybe I just notice those more.

Well, as a monk you don't get away from clicking. I was _really_ hoping that there would be a click-to-toggle movement option by now. Running over gold is a godsend, at least.

Hold the button down? Which you can do with all skills as well. You don't need to click on every monster in the game.

I couldn't find something like this, but is there any capability to move with the keypad? I could see myself spending a large portion of my total time moving using keys, either because there are no monsters, or I'm between cooldowns.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Couple guys at work are taking a week off from work... One is even taking two weeks. I envy them.

That...is ridiculous. As much as I love video games and Diablo, I refuse to take anymore than a day (two max) off to play any video game.

One day? Yeah okay, understandable if you're excited.

Two days? That's pushing it.

A whole week? You must really dislike your job or have a serious problem.

People hate their jobs or have a serious problem because they are taking days off? I mean... what? Do you make sure to only use your vacation days one at a time?

I expect silly-goosery of this level from them vidya game haters but on THESE boards? My mind is blown. Seriously. What the hell?

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Okay so

Yes! I would have killed for the Witch Doctor to just find the same dang stat +'s, but with spider/dart/blowgun/fucking... chalk? whatever designs. Like I'd rather see each person have unique character-based weapons with a couple unique looks than have a WD lugging around a big honking sword... only to toss spiders. It messes the visuals something fierce.

That said, this reminded me I totally love ARPGs.

I think Blizzard is forced to make some compromises due to the volume of work and added complexity of what you're proposing. You're basically saying you want every class to be restricted to using only the weapons of its class. There would have to be models and animations for each, and for each kind of attack/spell. The work needed to accomplish that would be astronomical.

The DH already suffers in the beta because they are limited to class specific weapons to use their skills (which strangely no one seems to complain about). But every other class can use just about any pointy stick to boost their damage. The trade-off is less animations.

I have a feeling that there will be fewer complaints about this past early Act 1 since most players will gravitate towards using class-specific items that are (mostly) animated properly. If you insist on complaining about your WD not swinging a 2-handed axe when spewing out spiders, then I don't know what to say. I'm not even sure how that would make sense regardless of how they tried to animate it.

I think he's proposing either that witch doctor doesn't find axes, but the 'axe' is instead like, 'offensive item x' and it appears different for each character

or that when you equip the axe it shows up as something different in the WD's hands

not sure if that's what he means and both present their own obvious issues but that's what I think he's getting at.

What

no no

I mean like

I'm annoyed that I'm forced to slap a weapon on myself. It would be fun to find "corpse spiders + 3" or whatever, finding "BIG CLUB +100" and being like oh well guess I'm getting a big old silly club for a few levels is annoying.

I'd love everyone to be like the DH. OR for weapon attacks to work like D2 so it didn't seem so silly.

oh sorry.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I think either I read the initial post wrong, or we're thinking of two different things. IMHO, taking time off is not the same as using vacation time. It's like taking a sick day, or not going to work because you have more important things to do at the expense of not getting paid.

Taking a vacation, or vacation leave, is what everyone is talking about. Where you get standard pay for an scheduled period of time, but don't have to go to work.

I haven't gotten a job where they actually give me vacation leave. That's mainly because I'm 22 and in college, so the only jobs I get are 6-month internships. Also, not only can I not afford to "take off" (student loans and all), but when I can I like to do something more exciting or to spend time with my friends/family. I have a few hours every night after work set aside to play video games, read, play guitar, etc...

KoopahTroopah on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I was _really_ hoping that there would be a click-to-toggle movement option by now.
    What's this?

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I was _really_ hoping that there would be a click-to-toggle movement option by now.
    What's this?

In most (if not all) mmo games, there's a button you can press once to keep your character walking without pressing any buttons.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I think either I read the initial post wrong, or we're thinking of two different things. IMHO, taking time off is not the same as using vacation time. It's like taking a sick day, or not going to work because you have more important things to do at the expense of not getting paid.

Taking a vacation, or vacation leave, is what everyone is talking about. Where you get standard pay for an scheduled period of time, but don't have to go to work.

I haven't gotten a job where they actually give me vacation leave. That's mainly because I'm 22 and in college, so the only jobs I get are 6-month internships. Also, not only can I not afford to "take off" (student loans and all), but when I can I like to do something more exciting or to spend time with my friends/family. I have a few hours every night after work set aside to play video games, read, play guitar, etc...

I'm not really sure how many jobs would allow someone to take 2 weeks off that WASN'T vacation without someone losing that job.

So I'm sure it's, fairly obviously, vacation time people are talking about.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

Yep. It's almost like judging people based on how they spend their free time and earned vacation days is rather silly!

Doubly so since I'm sure some of the people rolling their eyes at the notion of taking a week or two off around a release will likely be putting in untold hours whenever they have free time from school/work. I don't see how taking a week off so I can get my Diablo 3 on without having to commit to doing little but eating, sleeping, working and playing is a bad thing.

I mean, sure, there's also a happy medium, but who can honestly say that they'll get D3 and then only play for an hour or two each night during the week? I know I sure as hell can't. The moment that thing is in my grasp, I'll be on a drip feed of coffee to make it through the day. (hyperbole. Mostly. Maybe)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    What

no no

I mean like

I'm annoyed that I'm forced to slap a weapon on myself. It would be fun to find "corpse spiders + 3" or whatever, finding "BIG CLUB +100" and being like oh well guess I'm getting a big old silly club for a few levels is annoying.

I'd love everyone to be like the DH. OR for weapon attacks to work like D2 so it didn't seem so silly.

I think that was kind of the idea with runes as items before they became what they are now.

I see what you're saying, but not finding weapons would make it not a Diablo game any more.

Septus wrote: »
    I couldn't find something like this, but is there any capability to move with the keypad? I could see myself spending a large portion of my total time moving using keys, either because there are no monsters, or I'm between cooldowns.
    Sadly, no. It'd be really nice if they would have also added in a WASD (configurable, of course) movement option. Sure you wouldn't have as much precision in movement, but for most cases I think the 8 directions would be plenty, especially since you'd still presumably use the mouse cursor for aiming stuff.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    In the weekend beta, there is a "voodoo doll" or "fetish" weapon that's for Witch Doctors only. And Wizards can get crystal balls, etc. I'm sure the cool sets of armor will have awesome class-specific weapons.

Do quivers show up on the player character? I didn't think to check.

What's this?

In most (if not all) mmo games, there's a button you can press once to keep your character walking without pressing any buttons.
    Oh, like auto-run. Well those make more sense in the kind of game where your character has an obvious forward facing direction and is then maneuvered by turning left and right. Auto-run just makes you move forward all the time. In D3 you have to move your cursor all the time to direct your movement anyway.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    g
    What

no no

I mean like

I disagree, I got tired of EVERYTHING being about +skills in D2, that's the only stat that really mattered after you hit a few caps like max blocking or whatever. The fact that getting a weapon that does more damage actually matters to every class is nice. Sure it doesn't 'make sense' but neither did having a helmet that made you better at casting fireball which also made someone else better at raising a corpse or turning into a bear.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    I turned on enemy health bars last night just to experiment, and it really changes things sometimes. Like, it suddenly made the Witch Doctor's Firebats spell go from "enh" to "fucking awesome". Running up to a group of enemies and going Soul Harvest->Firebats and watching the red bars zoom to nothingness activates all the right neuron clusters.

On the subject of Firebats, why would you ever use the rune that destroys the spell? The one you get at level 10-12 somewhere that changes it to launching out one big bat that flies a long way. That seemed pretty bad.

On the subject of Firebats, why would you ever use the rune that destroys the spell? The one you get at level 10-12 somewhere that changes it to launching out one big bat that flies a long way. That seemed pretty bad.
    I'm sure someone will find a build that makes it useful. If not, hopefully the devs will buff it or retool it or something. I like the variety, though. If every rune on bats was just a different form of "you stand still and channel out an AoE" it'd be kind of boring.

edited April 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »

Doubly so since I'm sure some of the people rolling their eyes at the notion of taking a week or two off around a release will likely be putting in untold hours whenever they have free time from school/work. I don't see how taking a week off so I can get my Diablo 3 on without having to commit to doing little but eating, sleeping, working and playing is a bad thing.

I mean, sure, there's also a happy medium, but who can honestly say that they'll get D3 and then only play for an hour or two each night during the week? I know I sure as hell can't. The moment that thing is in my grasp, I'll be on a drip feed of coffee to make it through the day. (hyperbole. Mostly. Maybe)

I have no problems with how people spend their "earned vacation days" nor am I trying to force them to change their free time to be like how I spend mine. I'm just saying I really can't see myself taking more than a day off to schedule time for playing a game. This is just how I feel and apparently my opinion on the value of free time is entirely different than the rest of yours. Not saying that it makes me better or anything, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
    Even though it does make me better.
    Just kidding

I also didn't mean to derail the thread into an argument on whether taking time off for video games is (for lack of better words) "good or bad".

That being said, I did another run yesterday with little to no lag problems at all. I ran the demon hunter which was the first time I played her since F&F. The changed order of skills threw me off, and I don't see any reason to get that invisibility skill over caltrops in beta. The play style was definitely changed from "slow and kill everything" to "slow and kite everything until it eventually dies". Then again, a rare one handed crossbow dropped on SK and now I rip through the beta without any problems just like any other class.
    Renzo wrote: »
    In the weekend beta, there is a "voodoo doll" or "fetish" weapon that's for Witch Doctors only. And Wizards can get crystal balls, etc. I'm sure the cool sets of armor will have awesome class-specific weapons.

Do quivers show up on the player character? I didn't think to check.

Yeah quivers are held in your off-hand, exactly like the voodoo doll or crystal ball. I'm actually using a 1 life gained per hit and 10% IAS on my new DH.

KoopahTroopah on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Page- wrote: »

I know about holding the button down for movement--the problem is that exerting that pressure over an extended period of time fatigues my wrist. I really would just like to either WASD it or be able to toggle--obviously toggling is not a safe thing to do, but it beats holding the button down every ten-screen hallway. However, are you saying that the melee classes can just hover over targets with the mouse button held down and terrible, terrible damage will occur? I didn't try that except perhaps by accident, and that would make life a lot easier.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I'm sure someone will find a build that makes it useful. If not, hopefully the devs will buff it or retool it or something. I like the variety, though. If every rune on bats was just a different form of "you stand still and channel out an AoE" it'd be kind of boring.

I felt the same way about using the monks rune, doing the ghosty punch through all the time instead of using the combo/knockback one. Why knock away one guy to chase him back down when I can shoot punches through 3 mobs at once and not even have to get close to them?

PS- Vanilla is bugged, and this thread is the only one that ALWAYS shows I have new posts to read (even after I read them, it's still lit up).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    El Guaco wrote: »
    What

no no

I mean like

I think that was kind of the idea with runes as items before they became what they are now.

I see what you're saying, but not finding weapons would make it not a Diablo game any more.
    Later game weapons will most likely have + skill affixes.

just think "a wizard did it" when trying to reconcile the fact that magic weapons in a video game add your your spell and skill damage even if you don't directly use them.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited April 2012

I felt the same way about using the monks rune, doing the ghosty punch through all the time instead of using the combo/knockback one. Why knock away one guy to chase him back down when I can shoot punches through 3 mobs at once and not even have to get close to them?

PS- Vanilla is bugged, and this thread is the only one that ALWAYS shows I have new posts to read (even after I read them, it's still lit up).

Yeah, it's doing the same thing for me too. It's been like that for a-fwhile.

I believe the runes and skill order that they have in beta are subject to change on release. They've swapped abilities out here and there to see what people think about them, and they've only recently added runes for people to test as well.

KoopahTroopah on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I took two weeks off starting the 15th because I want to play this game at my leisure and last year I forgot to take my vacation at all. I mean, the pay out at the end of the year was nice, but I'd kinda like to take some time off.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    Jumped into a few public games to try multiplayer and have to say that the loot system they choose is brilliant. No mad scramble to pick up your loot. No arguing/whining about drops. No one feeling gipped.

I already knew this was what they were doing but seeing it in action (so to speak) really brought home how good it works.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
    I somehow missed that that's how they were handling loot and after picking up every single item said to my friend "are you just not picking anything up or did they do the best goddamn thing ever?"

and it turns out they did the best goddamn thing ever

This discussion has been closed.